• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02 headlights... anyone ever black it out?

No reason for you guys to be jerks, by saying my car looks cheap and ugly. I love the look more every time i see them so i don't really care what you say, it's just not polite.

If you only live your life for other people, i feel sorry for you. I didn't purchase my NSX to hold it for the next person.

$2300 is nothing compared to the price of the car, so if a person looking to purchase a car didn't like them they could be replaced and sold here on Prime.

I always loved that you were the only one to actually do a color match headlight on your car. I wish that your pictures was still up, if I had a 02+ I would definitely do the color matched headlights as well.

comtec,

i also love your car and the colormatched headlights. how fun would it be if we all did the exact same mods to our cars.

tom

No reason for you guys to be jerks, by saying my car looks cheap and ugly. I love the look more every time i see them so i don't really care what you say, it's just not polite.

If you only live your life for other people, i feel sorry for you. I didn't purchase my NSX to hold it for the next person.

$2300 is nothing compared to the price of the car, so if a person looking to purchase a car didn't like them they could be replaced and sold here on Prime.

Just saw your reply, save your pity ~ I build my cars for myself and many times cause controversies and raised eyebrows too so I too could care less what others say about my car.

I was simply making a point that in 99% of the time, painting inners red for example on a red car is just weird. I had no intention to direct that comment at you and frankly I didn't even know you had painted headlights! :confused:

So no need to take it personally, but I still stand by my remark that painted headlights can ONLY be pulled off on very special NSX's that have the mods to back it up :redface:

rick

actually, a friend of mine who owns a performance/fabrication shop here in Vegas custom made these lights for me. Yes, you are right it is sorta like the audi led look.. i'll post more pics once i put them on the car.

are those LED's attached to the top of the housing? the clear part?

Just saw your reply, save your pity ~ I build my cars for myself and many times cause controversies and raised eyebrows too so I too could care less what others say about my car.

I was simply making a point that in 99% of the time, painting inners red for example on a red car is just weird. I had no intention to direct that comment at you and frankly I didn't even know you had painted headlights! :confused:

So no need to take it personally, but I still stand by my remark that painted headlights can ONLY be pulled off on very special NSX's that have the mods to back it up :redface:

rick

I take it your not a fan of the Ferrari F360 then?

I take it your not a fan of the Ferrari F360 then?

I LOVE the Stradale and it's one of the few cars I'd take over my NSX....:wink:

Just because the styling works on a Ferrari does not make it work on an NSX per se. I love m3 fenders but NOT on a Civic for example. :eek:

I do see your point but comparing a M3 to a civic is being a little extreme. Also the C6 vette has the color matched headlights as well and it works, In my opinion I think blacked out headlights will cheapen the way the NSX looks because it will look like a kit car where they can only get the headlights done in bulk and not have the resources to paint each headlight to match the body color. The color matched headlights looks great on the NA2 type R, and on the Sorcery car and also on comtecs car. People originally complained about the flush headlights it stuck out too much and it was too silvery. Now when you paint it, it blends in much better with the car and it actually looks like it belongs.

I do see your point but comparing a M3 to a civic is being a little extreme. Also the C6 vette has the color matched headlights as well and it works, In my opinion I think blacked out headlights will cheapen the way the NSX looks because it will look like a kit car where they can only get the headlights done in bulk and not have the resources to paint each headlight to match the body color. The color matched headlights looks great on the NA2 type R, and on the Sorcery car and also on comtecs car. People originally complained about the flush headlights it stuck out too much and it was too silvery. Now when you paint it, it blends in much better with the car and it actually looks like it belongs.

Yes the Civic comparo was a bit extreme...haha

Anyways this was just my opinion. We all mod cars with our own taste and I agree "certain" colors can pull it off better than others. The NA2 type-R is very cool with a white/white headlight. A black or blue nsx can pull off the white look as well but IMO when you go to a red nsx with red inners just doesn't look right in my eyes (again my opinion only).

If I ever decide to try something differet on my headlights, I would try matte black :wink:

Hi Turbo2go, the LED tubes are installed inside the housing and will be used as DRLs. Still doing the conversion process on my car and will post pics when done.

Hi guys, here are some pics of the blacked out headlights installed on my 02 conversion nsx..

Attachments

• P2220183.jpg
    P2220183.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,042
  • P2220185.jpg
    P2220185.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,094
  • P2270192.jpg
    P2270192.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 457
  • P2270193.jpg
    P2270193.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 454
Thanks for the pics! As I suspected the black out draws too much attention to the bubble plastic of the lens (imo)... I think on any other color it would be fantastic. Of course pictures and "in person" are two different things...and black cars seem to always come out like crap in photos. I like the LED's, but perhaps again, not on the black/black combo.

If it's what you're going for, bravo.... and thanks for posting pics for the rest of us. I may try a different color on my lens if I even bother to have anything done at all. I'd need to see the black/black combo in person to make a decision.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought of or tried the 3D 3M carbon fiber wrap instead of paint here? Close to black but with a nicer touch?

I like the color matched headlights if done right and the black out looks good too on some colors. Has anyone just tinted out the whole lens ?

Each unto their own really. I still like the color match option. At least I can point out which car is mine if I go to an NSX meet. I found some other photos from GT-rom.net that has a red NSX with some nice color matched 02 headlights. Looks nice with the red roof.

030.jpg

006.gif

In my opinion this looks like a Mitsubishi 3000. Red on red not good...black on black maybe...:cool:

^^^^
You know I thought that looked perfect before you mentioned that it looks like a 3000GT!!! Damn you 3000GT!!!, well I still love it :p

I didn't black out my headlights, but I made them blue.
I loved the look of NA1s but wanted a newer NA2 so I had blue tint, like clear bra, put on my headlights. I'm very happy with the second version. The first color was too dark and blocked too much light.

IMG_1766.jpg

^Taking delivery.

IMG_2352blue_headlts.jpg

^First tint, too dark. Not a good match, either.

IMG_3798headlighttintoff.jpg

^Removing first tint.

IMG_3834Newheadlightfilm-1.jpg

^Second try. I like it.

I loved the look of NA1s but wanted a newer NA2 so I had blue tint, like clear bra, put on my headlights. I'm very happy with the second version. The first color was too dark and blocked too much light.

IMG_1766.jpg

^Taking delivery.

IMG_2352blue_headlts.jpg

^First tint, too dark. Not a good match, either.

IMG_3798headlighttintoff.jpg

^Removing first tint.

IMG_3834Newheadlightfilm-1.jpg

^Second try. I like it.

Very nice and cheaper too......:smile:

I always loved that you were the only one to actually do a color match headlight on your car. I wish that your pictures was still up, if I had a 02+ I would definitely do the color matched headlights as well.

Thank you s14_tat and socalx.

Here are a few pics. There are more in this thread.

DSCF0612.jpg

DSCF0679.jpg

DSCF0711.jpg

^^^^ thanks, damn that looks good.

I loved the look of NA1s but wanted a newer NA2 so I had blue tint, like clear .

Not trying to be picky, but I see this happen a lot. NA1 and NA2 don't denote pre and post 02 facelift. These are designations for the old 3.0L engine vs the 3.2L engine. There is no designation for the fixed light 02+ facelift cars.

The VIN tells the tale:

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Decoding_an_NSX_VIN

^:confused: I thought the engine change happened with the headlight change. My bad. Still have a lot to learn. Thank you for the note.

Back