• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 Tires

On the way home from NSXPO I hit a stupid construction curb on the PA turnpike. I destroyed two of my beloved and recently restored Blitz Type 03s. I was extremely lucky with no body damage. Additionally my instructor DocJohn had 5 old Type 03s (3 back and 2 fronts) that I bought. The backs were wider than my current set so I am restoring two of the backs and one of the fronts. They are on the way to CA now. I am in a tire dilemma and figured I would ask the experts.

My my current tires were Nexen 215/40/R17 in the front and Falken Ziex ze950 265/35/R18. The new backs are wider and I have to go with a 285/35/R18 in the back. The Nexens I have in the front have worn well and through one set of replacements of the rears. The tires did well on the track. When I got the Nexens it was only because I could not get fronts and backs in the Falkens.

My tire source is recommending Continental DWS06s for the backs and I was wondering your thoughts. I need a good handling quiet tire for spirited drives. I am not a track guy but I do need a good handling tire in case I get caught in the rain. Eventually I would replace the fronts with the same tire if they are available.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Ken

View attachment 147639

Last edited:
Not sure I'd mix brands. Likely to get some unpredictable handling results, especially in the wet. How wide is your rear wheel?

I know that I need to use the 285s instead of the 265s on the rears.

This is a quandary since there are not too many choices for both the front and rears. The best we have done in the past is to work and match the tread patterns. I think we gained 15-20 mm in width from the old wheels.

The optimal tire sizes are:
Fronts - 215/40/R17 - I have the Nexens that I will keep unless there is a big difference
Backs - 285/35/R18

At NSXPO Pirelli said they could do any tire for any wheel. I have not had good experience with Pirelli with regard to wear. They tend to be a softer tire and they are expensive.

Have you looked at 275/35-18? That size is comparable to the 285 and there is a high performance Nexen tire available, as well as others. The diameter difference is slightly more than 1/4". Seems like a good compromise.

View attachment 147669

Should you want to stay with your original sizes looks like the only brand (at least one I could find) is Sumitomo.

View attachment 147670

Last edited:
My wheel guy says he wants to avoid "Stretching" the tires to fit the wheel. I will ask him about this. My inclination is to go with the 285's in the back and try to match the front treads the best that I can. I will keep you posted. The Sumitomos look a little extreme.

You can use a 275/35 rear ....it would not be too stretched on the 10 inch rear ...then just check tire rack for tires in that size that also come in 215/40 for the front..the S drives do...

I think I have a solution. What do you guys think of Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons for the back and P Zero Nero GT tires for the front. The backs would be all season for extra traction and the fronts would be a summer tire like I am running now.

I think that would be a good solution and I could have one brand all around. The tires look extremely similar with the exception that the front is a summer tire.

<attachment></attachment><attachment></attachment>

. . What do you guys think of Pirelli P Zero Nero All Seasons for the back and P Zero Nero GT tires for the front.

Bad idea, that's what I think. Mixing different tread patterns and rubber compounds is an accident waiting to happen. Not sure why you are so obsessed with going with 285's on the rear. The 275's will handle up to an 11" wide wheel so there would be little if any stretching on a 10" wheel. I am running a 265 on a 10" wheel and it is fine.

View attachment 147687

However . . . at the end of the day it is your car and you are entitled to do as you please.

What are you running on your car?

The alternatives on tire rack are all summer tires.

I am running Yokohama Advan NEOVA AD08 R which is considered extreme performance summer tire. I've heard they are decent in the wet but I don't have any direct experience. When warmed up they are great in the dry. Probably good in a pinch when you are caught out in a brief rain spell, but not a heavy rain tire. The Yokohama S.drive would be a good compromise of dry / wet performance and is available in 275.

that is 2 suggestions for the s drive

But they are available from Yokohama. I will definitely explore this option!

yh215yokohamasdrive_small.jpg
YOKOHAMA S.DRIVE
215/40R17/RF[h=3]CURRENT PROMOTIONS[/h]
GET UP TO $50 VISA® PREPAID CARD!​

<input name="ctl00$ctl00$defaultContent$rprTires$ctl00$tbxQty" type="text" value="2" maxlength="2" id="ctl00_ctl00_defaultContent_rprTires_ctl00_tbxQty" class="width-20 text-center input small" style="color: rgb(106, 106, 106); font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 23px; margin: 0px; border: 1px solid rgb(106, 106, 106); height: 23px; padding: 0px 10px; vertical-align: middle; text-align: center; width: 20px !important;"> UPDATE
Remove item

Select Store *

yh215yokohamasdrive_small.jpg
YOKOHAMA S.DRIVE
275/35R18/RF[h=3]CURRENT PROMOTIONS[/h]
GET UP TO $50 VISA® PREPAID CARD!​

<input name="ctl00$ctl00$defaultContent$rprTires$ctl02$tbxQty" type="text" value="2" maxlength="2" id="ctl00_ctl00_defaultContent_rprTires_ctl02_tbxQty" class="width-20 text-center input small" style="color: rgb(106, 106, 106); font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; font-variant-caps: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: 23px; margin: 0px; border: 1px solid rgb(106, 106, 106); height: 23px; padding: 0px 10px; vertical-align: middle; text-align: center; width: 20px !important;"> UPDATE
Remove item

These are summer tires and some of the reviews say they are noisy. Remember I am on the street and the tires I have now are very quiet.

If you say they are quiet I will price them.

These are summer tires and some of the reviews say they are noisy. Remember I am on the street and the tires I have now are very quiet.

If you say they are quiet I will price them.

Honcho had s.drives on the car when I bought it and he really liked them. I do too. I've used them in hard rain, and driving sensibly, they felt very secure. I've used them quite a lot recently on the PA turnpike driving out to visit my parents in Chambersburg, and they don't seem overly noisy to me. But then, my basis for comparison is my S2000 which is noisy as hell with the high-revving engine basically sitting in your lap and the wind noise from the convertible top. I'll keep running the s.drives on my NSX for as long as they make them, I don't need more from a tire than what they provide, and I like the stability in the rain.

Ken,

I was able to put the s.drives in a cart. Obviously i didn't buy them but they are available. I did notice that if you searched by tire size and combined the two sizes using their "Shop by Size" tool, the s.drives did not show up in the results. You need to put them in your cart separately. Looks like they can ship to 19444.

View attachment 147692

If Tire rack still insists they are unavailable, you can try Discount Tire Direct as well. They will also ship tires to your door.

Last edited:
One of my clients is a tire wholesaler. I am waiting for him to get back to me with the prices. I have some time since the wheels just left for CA yesterday to be rechromed, Thank you for all of your input and advise. This is a great community!

I will let you know how I make out and surely will post pictures of the completed wheels.

Ken

The S Drives have been delivered. I got them from Tire Rack since they offer free 2 year road hazard coverage.

The wheels are in CA and the centers are being powder coated. I hope to be back on the road in 3-4 weeks.

Here are my new wheel centers. I made them by cutting circles in plastic sheeting and mounting them to the Blitz 03 centers. I always make a spare.

The three wheels are still in CA and the centers are being powder coated. I hope to have the car back on the road later this month. The new S Drives are at the wheel place awaiting the wheels. I will post pics ASAP.

View attachment 148192

Last edited:
wow looking awesome.....:eek:.......Too nice to put on the road:wink:

Back