• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5000 mile update of my Lovefab Turbo system w/ dyno

showphoto.php

Well I just thought I would share this with everyone. I have 5000 miles on my Lovefab Turbo System and I have NOT had one problem in almost a year of ownership with this system. I have a 2004 NSX with a BONE STOCK bottom end. A lot of people on this forum say that you can't boost a stock bottom end to this level without having internal engine problems and the point of this post is prove otherwise while commending Lovefab on the reliability of this package. Here is the link to my original dyno, see post # 29 :

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69117

Here is the new dyno graph with the vehicle being dynoed at another location in MD:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=24624&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

If there was any deterioration of the rings and or compression the power level would be lower with the new graph but as you can see it is identical with no changes in the tune.

Last edited:
Congrats man! Great news.

However, and not to discredit your lovefab setup, I think 5000 miles is a bit premature to start making concrete decisions about reliability.

Lovely power, enjoy that. :smile:

showphoto.php

Well I just thought I would share this with everyone. I have 5000 miles on my Lovefab Turbo System and I have NOT had one problem in almost a year of ownership with this system. I have a 2004 NSX with a BONE STOCK bottom end. A lot of people on this forum say that you can't boost a stock bottom end to this level without having internal engine problems and the point of this post is prove otherwise while commending Lovefab on the reliability of this package. Here is the link to my original dyno, see post # 29 :

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69117

Here is the new dyno graph with the vehicle being dynoed at another location in MD:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=24624&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

If there was any deterioration of the rings and or compression the power level would be lower with the new graph but as you can see it is identical with no changes in the tune.

He might not be loving it much longer.....I think I saw your car on EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: SAY IT AIN"T SO!!!

J. R.

Congrats man! Great news.

However, and not to discredit your lovefab setup, I think 5000 miles is a bit premature to start making concrete decisions about reliability.

Lovely power, enjoy that. :smile:

Thanks. As far as the reliability something would have surfaced by now with the turbo system and or the engine. Trust me I speak from experience since I used to run a Acura Service Department for a dealership that modded a lot of Acuras and Hondas. :wink:

He might not be loving it much longer.....I think I saw your car on EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: SAY IT AIN"T SO!!!

J. R.

J.R.,

I listed the vehicle on EBAY and had a TON of interest on it but I did not have the right offer. I was thinking of letting the car go since I always want to dump money into it but I think I will regret it since I have wanted this car since I was 18.

J.R.,

I listed the vehicle on EBAY and had a TON of interest on it but I did not have the right offer. I was thinking of letting the car go since I always want to dump money into it but I think I will regret it since I have wanted this car since I was 18.

Yes,

Something every modifier must go threw. Its called REALITY. The return on mods is usually between 10-20% of what you put in. So if you put 100 grand into your car.....it would probly only bring 10-20k more on the market. Its just the reality of it.

Sounds like you couldn't swallow the loss. :biggrin:

Glad to hear you are keeping it.

What would you have gotton if you sold it?

J. R.

Im glad to see your kit and car are doing well. So many people think that a stock bottom end is somehow not up to the challenge of increased horsepower, but my experience as well as yours seems to be that they will hold out for awhile. I have 8,000 miles on my kit at everything from 390 to 450whp and my motor is as good as ever. Its just like back in the day when they said a stock b16 honda motor would never hold more than 10psi without cracking a sleeve, but in reality it was all about tuning. I ran my stock b16 in my type-R with 22psi of boost and it lived longer than most of my race motors. Eventually i think the mentality will change because of positive posts like this one. Unfortunatly you usually hear about the bad stuff vrs the good. Human nature i guess...

I think the NSX motor is OK with 6-8 lbs of boost. Going higher will certainly lead to an increase risk of problems. Obviously even 6-8lbs of boost is going to cause your motor to wear sooner than stock, but if that means you get 100K miles out of it vs 200K so be it.

As far as reliablity, how often to you really run your car hard? Have you ever tracked it and held it repeatly at high RPM? Are you running the OEM clutch?

I think it is great to hear that you haven't had a single issue or needed a tune. That to me shows what a great job Cody did on the kit and tuning.

I think the NSX motor is OK with 6-8 lbs of boost. Going higher will certainly lead to an increase risk of problems. Obviously even 6-8lbs of boost is going to cause your motor to wear sooner than stock, but if that means you get 100K miles out of it vs 200K so be it.

As far as reliablity, how often to you really run your car hard? Have you ever tracked it and held it repeatly at high RPM? Are you running the OEM clutch?

I think it is great to hear that you haven't had a single issue or needed a tune. That to me shows what a great job Cody did on the kit and tuning.

Yep...NetViper's correct...your car would probably blow up in one weekend at the track - just like his would. Just have fun with it on the street and all will be well.

I have run my car at Larry H miller track 8 times at 4 x 20min sessions per day and havent lost a motor or had an internal problem yet. How many pounds of boost you run isnt really as important as how much cfm you are moving.

I have a RPS clutch.

I run the car VERY hard (it is beat on everytime I drive it) and I am confident it would hold up under any situation.

As far as increase in wear I do not agree with you. I know your car blew up but then again who tuned it ? It's not what you do with the car or how you drive it all boils down to how well it is TUNED.

I agree with NetViper. Try going to 10 lbs and higher and see what happens. I never really ran into any problems until I crossed 400 whp at about 9.7 psi. Then the "fun" began. :biggrin:

Yep...NetViper's correct...your car would probably blow up in one weekend at the track - just like his would. Just have fun with it on the street and all will be well.

From what I know, the only system to really perform well on a track is the CTSC, but even those have their issues.

Of course Don, my car is NA now and it ran at the track just fine. :biggrin:

I have a RPS clutch.

I run the car VERY hard (it is beat on everytime I drive it) and I am confident it would hold up under any situation.

As far as increase in wear I do not agree with you. I know your car blew up but then again who tuned it ? It's not what you do with the car or how you drive it all boils down to how well it is TUNED.

I don't disagree with how it was tuned at all. If it makes any difference, Devin looked at my tune and said it was pretty good. It was tuned on a dyno dynamics very cautiously. Shit Happens. I've moved on.

I am sure you flog the car on the street, but until you flog it on a track , I don't think you can consider it "reliable" in all situations. My car was great on the street for what its worth.

Now I am not knocking Cody's kit at all. It might be perfecly reliable for street use with constant beating and it might be just fine on the track, but until someone runs 4-6 track events in a summer with the kit and has no issues, then I don't consider it a safe option for those that chose to track their cars.

Like I said before, I am very happy for you and wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future.

A whopping 7.5 PSI until I build my engine. :biggrin:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Woody runs 14-15 psi on the same turbo kit. Has he upgraded the engine, I don't know? It seems that 7.5psi is consistent with supercharger setups that have all shown to be pretty reliable (I cite Bob Kenney's CTSC as an example). HP numbers are similar too, obviously. It seems like a conservative tune is worth taking a look at for providing a reliable boost setup. Thanks for the update, and keep them coming.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with how it was tuned at all. If it makes any difference, Devin looked at my tune and said it was pretty good. It was tuned on a dyno dynamics very cautiously. Shit Happens. I've moved on.

I am sure you flog the car on the street, but until you flog it on a track , I don't think you can consider it "reliable" in all situations. My car was great on the street for what its worth.

Now I am not knocking Cody's kit at all. It might be perfecly reliable for street use with constant beating and it might be just fine on the track, but until someone runs 4-6 track events in a summer with the kit and has no issues, then I don't consider it a safe option for those that chose to track their cars.

Like I said before, I am very happy for you and wish you nothing but the best of luck in the future.

Thanks for the kind words. I know you are not knocking Cody's kit, I just wanted to let everyone know how it was holding up. I guess this is the reason why I have less than 300 posts. I stated reliable because it is and not everyone is going to track their car. I have over 100K into my car and I don't want to take any risks on the track since I am not "made of money". If I were to track a car I would choose my classic Mini or purchase another S2K.

Did you ever put your car back together ? If so, how is it running ?

Last edited:
The answer is pretty obvious. Yes, when everything is good the NSX engine can deal with significant increasing in horsepower. Reason, most manufactures add 2 times (sometimes more) the calculated loads to their stress and dynamics analysis because they’re conservative, they use worse case bounding conditions and they need to account for “unknowns”. Stress analysts’ are the most conservative engineers around. They know that if something breaks because it was under designed it’s going to be on their head. In the case of autos, the entire reputation of the company can be at stake. On the other hand, they can’t be too conservative. Weight, size, material costs, manufacturing costs and performance objectives must be met as well. So it’s a compromise. Bottom line, most cars can take considerable increases in HP without problem WHEN EVERYTHING IS NOMINAL. On a stock motor that’s putting out 70% more power you’ve probably used up just about all your margin designed to accommodate the “unknowns”. Everything needs to be perfect from then on, all the time. Get a tank of bad gas and boom! Get an injector with a speck of dirt and bang! Have some momentary EMI/EMC electrical glitch with the ECU and kaboom! Fuel pump decides to go south and blam! Overfill the engine with oil and bam! A few flecks of glowing carbon in the combustion chamber and ka-blew-ee! It only takes a few seconds to do the damage. I think you get my point. With some cars/owners it might be a year or two before one of these or another uncontrollable condition rears its head, but trust me, its not IF its simply a matter of WHEN. Building the lower end simply adds additional margin so your engine can survive the inevitable encounter with the unknown.

Back