• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 NSX vs 89 Skyline

Hi to all. I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been lurking around for the past few weeks. I hope everyone has been well.

Before I start on my question, just a bit of background on my question.
I love the NSX as much as all of you (posters are still up in my room, and I still have my collection of scale models, etc etc). I finished my degree this May, and right now I'm working on a term basis for Environment Canada. If my work situation turns to permanent status, I will be able to afford an NSX, but it will take me realistically at least 2 years of pay (The cheapest NSX here is about 41 canadian, and unlike down south, it's not easy to find one with a clean title, unfortunately).

However starting Aug 2004, it will be legal to import 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR's, due to Canada's 15 year old car importation law. Normally, I wouldn't give the GTR a second thought, but the price is not inflated like it is in the US. In the US, the 1989 GTR costs 30 US, which is essentially the same price as a used NSX, therefore I wouldn't consider it.
But now with the 15 year old car rule (The only way to import any car that wasn't available in Canada is the car has to be 15 years old) the prices are the same as if they were original japanese market cars, therefore GTR's will cost from 9500$ Canadian (low end) to about 18000$ Canadian (high end, good condition, low kms...about 60K kms). The car is inexpensive because no tests need to be performed on the car. It will be legal.

Because of this large price difference, I'm strongly considering buying a used GTR. It is in my price range, and generally speaking, it's a sporty car. Again, mind you, the only reasons why I am considering the GTR is that 1. It costs less than half of the price of a used NSX here 2. "Bench racing-wise" it puts out similar hp to the NSX, although the configuration is different and the GTR weighs 200lbs more. Oh and AWD.

And so, my 2 questions. Any info, or any opinions are greatly appreciated. I've never driven any sports car in my life before, so info and ideas and thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So if you were me, realistically affording an NSX in 2 years of pay, or a GTR in about 10-12 months of pay, would you wait, or would you get the GTR?

If you would consider the GTR:
Has anyone here driven an 1989 Nissan Skyline GTR before? If so, how does it compare to the NSX? Ups and downs of the GTR? Road handling? the overall "feel" of the car, and it's "one-ness" with the road? Ride height and seat height vs the NSX?

Oh and as well, I have read that a lot of you use your NSX as a daily driver. Although it may be more difficult to drive the NSX because of the generally colder weather here, either car I buy will be the daily driver.

I would not get either car as a daily driver in a northern climate. And I also think it's a bad idea to spend everything you've got on a car for which you wouldn't be able to afford an expensive repair if it turns out to need one. Both cars you mention can be expensive to own, and neither is well suited for winter weather.

I would either:

a. spend a fair amount (say 20-23K USD) on a new car (with warranty) that I would be happy with as my daily driver for at least 5-6 years - there are lots of nice cars in this price range, such as the Acura RSX-S or the Dodge SRT-4 - or

b. spend about half that amount on a good used car ('94-96 Integra, '97-98 Civic, etc) as my daily driver for 3-4 years.

In either case, I would try to start building up savings. You may find that your priorities change once you are working full-time, and things like a downpayment on a home (rather than "your room") might be a higher priority than an expensive sports car, at least until your income increases and becomes more stable. Once you've got a home and some financial security, that's when you can start considering luxuries like a high-performance sports car.

Thanks for the thoughts, I really appreciate them.
Yes, saving up is an option I have considered, but housing prices have been increasing significantly the past few years, so it really seems like putting money away is "in vain" (Although I know it's not, it seems that way)

I have a daily driver already, but I was considering those 2 because they would be definetly a more enjoyable ride, but a safer ride (My current car is quite old, and it lacks decent power to merge to the highway when leaving work. It does the job, but it's not good at doing it. However I know that that isn't a good excuse to simply buy a new car, and it isn't an excuse, it's just one of the things I am weighing out as well)

For now, as you said, I am saving up until my work becomes more stable (Hopefully by March of next year it will be).

As for repairs and maintenance, I think you are right on that. I don't know any shops around here that are competent to repair an NSX (I could be wrong though), and next year will be the first year we can buy Skylines. So that is a difficulty I cannot overlook. Thanks for the reminder about that. Although I am not pouring out my entire paycheck for the car (roughly about 50-60% of my pay) it adds up.

I will do a lot more research and a lot more thinking. Thanks again for the heads up.

Forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something obvious, but where do you propose to import the Skyline from? If the US prices are inflated, then presumably you are importing one from....Japan? I have trouble believing that that could possibly be as cheap as you're suggesting, once you include the cost of the car, travel to/from Japan, and shipping the car back. I had always heard cars were especially expensive in Japan but I admit I've not done the math.
:confused:

Regardless, I concur with nsxtasy. An NSX is a wonderful car but not a great "only" car. Snow isn't really an issue if you outfit it with winter tires (as Ian / NSX2398 will inform you :)), but there are always the issues of security, utility, and as nsxtasy mentioned, the cost of planned and emergency maintenance. They are more expensive than you initially think -- my wife would be happy to go on and on and on about that one... d'oh... :D

Thanks for the heads up. Again, I am thinking all thing through first, and even if everything is okay, I won't have a final decision until March 04. But all info and ideas are appreciated.

The Skylines are directly shipped from Japan to the port of Vancouver. Hypothetically speaking, I will be buying from an importer based in Canada (there are at least 4 reliable ones that I know of, 2 based in BC, 2 in Alberta, and another one opening up early 2004 in Vancouver)
I have checked a few japanese websites on the pricing, and I have checked all of the 4 mentioned websites, and the prices are all very similar for similar condition vehicules, give or take 1000$. The most expensive GTR I've seen was $17800, with 68000kms on the clock, with minor ECU and exhaust mods. The cheapest GTR I've seen posted up cost $9200 canadian, in pretty ratty condition with over 178000 kms on the clock. And all of this is including shipping prices. The only thing that is not included is provincial sales tax. Shipping is actually quite "cheap", it costs about 800-900 canadian to ship. (included in the pricing)

If you would like, I can refer you to some web links on some other enthousiasts who are looking forward to importing the GTR as well, and the importers.

And cars are actually a lot cheaper in Japan than here... They have this strange "junker" law (i'm not too familiar with it, but it's something to that) where after 5 years or so, the car has to pass these emmission tests, and it costs a lot to upkeep the car. Either way, it is cheaper than here. The only sporty car that is the same price in Japan than in North America is the NSX. All other sporty cars in the japanese market cost less.

After reading and thinking, I think as both of you said, buying an NSX would not be a smart idea as of the moment (even if work continues as planned) I will see how things go and plan from then. Thanks again, much appreciated.

you say you have 4 reliable sources.
do you have any links or contact info for these?
just curious myself...;)

beeker16: PM me for the links. I don't think it's good to link to external websites w/o authorization of the webmaster, and I would also like to keep the links as private as possible.

nsxtasy, CokerRat: Thanks for the sincere advice, I really appreciate it. After talking with a close friend of mine, and some thought, I've realized that as insanely tempting as it is, I will not purchase either car until I am more financially stable and have my own buisiness started. It's hard for me to say that, haha, because I love sports cars, but that is the realistic answer, and the smart answer. Thanks again for the help.

I can send them to you from Japan if you like. I work with a friend in Japan who send cars to me here in the UK. Just so that you don't get ripped off, here are some of the past trade auction results on R32 GTR.

http://www.pathhill.com/skyline/result1.jpg

http://www.pathhill.com/skyline/result2.jpg

http://www.pathhill.com/skyline/result3.jpg

when you buy from auctions you get to see this sort of auction sheet which grades the cars.

http://www.pathhill.com/skyline/4thdecskyline4.jpg
this one sold for 570000 Yen on 4th December 2003

http://www.pathhill.com/skyline/4thdecskyline3.jpg
this one went for 950000 Yen.

Any one who is interested in importing a car from Japan should also be aware that the Japanese are heavy smokers and you would be hard pressed to find a vehicle that has not been smoked in.

Further to Endless's point about why cars are less in Japan, after year 10 they have to pass a pretty intensive emission control standard that is typically quite costly so most people end up junking their cars with what North Americans term low KM. I have seen cars with 30,000 KM be virtually worthless. What I am not sure about is what happens to the real sports cars after 10 years.

By the sounds of it CRX B16B VTEC is more intouch with that end of the market than I.

Yeah, most of the cars have cig burn on the seat etc...

Most of the 10 years old sports cars end up in the UK. In the UK, imported cars over 10 years old doesn't need to pass what they call SVA test. So, just need to pass regular MOT (same as yearly automobile fitness test) inorder to register it. So, they are worth importing.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already mentioned this, but Japanese-spec cars are right-hand drive. If you import a grey-market GTR R32 from Japan, what are you going to do each time you have to enter a parking lot, or go through a toll booth, or even just a McDonald's drive-thru?

It doesn't seem very pragmatic to me, but good luck.

Lazarus said:
I'm not sure if anyone else has already mentioned this, but Japanese-spec cars are right-hand drive. If you import a grey-market GTR R32 from Japan, what are you going to do each time you have to enter a parking lot, or go through a toll booth, or even just a McDonald's drive-thru?
Go through in reverse? :D

is it only because its rhd?
There are number of lhd high performance cars in Japan, can these be legaly registered in the US?
There are loads of used Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo/Merc(AMG)/BMW which are lhd, and I find some of them much cheaper than in europe... Selection of nice Ferraris in Japan is quite amazing. There were loads that were imported in the 80s and early 90s, and since most people went bust just after that, all those cars havent been driven for 10 years and in storage or in dealers hands.

Endless --> i shared your pains in finding a clean low mileage X in Canada as well..it took more than a year to find it...

i think if you really wanted a X for so long then you should save and wait...there is nothing like the feeling of settling for one thing when you really wanted something else.

i know for me that i have never driven anything that felt close to the X..

as for as AWD cars i own a stealth TT with mods...and my buddy lets me drive his sti sometimes....i can say that driving the X is a completely more of a satisfying feeling...

good luck on either car you chose....they both great cars

I have driven both NSX's and a GT-R with some mods... My impression is that they are differant in many respects.

The NSX is a true sport cars...
- It handle better
- Power delivery is better
- Feeling IMO would be like driving an F1 car
- Interior space is not as it is in the GT-R
- Better balance car
- Better built car

The GT-R ....was a 1992 with some mods (most sport cars from Japan would have some type of mods)
- The GT-R is very stiff and the ride is hard.
- Excellent Brakes (Brembo)
- Drive like a typical Turbo charge car..ie low on power when off boost, but hold on the the wheel when you past 2500 RPM.
- The interior is like a typical Japanese sedan of the 90's (NSX inetrior is better)
- This car is heavy, and feels heavy.
- With 4wd you never loose traction on this car

Repair and parts for the GT-R are very expensive, and you will have to import these from Japan.

Finally, You will enjoy either car....However, the NSX would put more smile's on you face:D it is a true sport cars.

Bram

Lazarus said:

And... even if you don't pay many tolls or go to many drive-through joints:

A serious problem with RHD is the difficulty in seeing oncoming traffic when trying to pass on 2-lane roads.

Your asking the wrong group on an unbiased opinion ..as I doubt many here have driven a skyline.But if I had a spare 30k I would buy an NSX.

Back