• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

95 - 02 Coupes

Wingz
those are my seats. The reason i was able to put the list ogether at the begininning of this thread is because i bought most of the items on it one at a time. We call it building an na2 white R the hard way. And i was not totally true to the formula.. for example i went with brembo billet gtr brakes, volk ce28 hipad gunmetal wheels, ARC titanium exhaust etc.

Also, there was only one fabric for na2 R seats, it did come in two color choices for the R (either red or black) NSX1 has them in black and they are better in black in my opinion. the reason my pics might look different to to you is these are really close up shots to show you what the fabric really looks like. (you can't see the detail in the catalogs, i was plesantly surprised when i took them out of the box the first time and saw the detail. the type s seats had may more color choices.

LOL Most of us are building them the hard. Looks like the camera just isn't high res enough to show the fabric , so here are pics of the seat that Edmun from Spoon racing sent and it is the same fabric as your seats.

Hey which ARC did you go with also were you able to get the interior i.e dash/door material? Oh yeah what weight were you able to get your NSX down to in the conversion? Sorry for all the questions:biggrin:

Attachments

• CIMG2180.JPG
    CIMG2180.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 54
  • CIMG2182.JPG
    CIMG2182.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 67
I was talking to a Spoon's rep at the show yesterday.

The interesting part is their senior guy (NOT Ichishima-san) doesn't really understand my question and they pulled a guy from Mine's for translation...The Mine's guy is prob a Japanese American with fluent English. He helped out a lot, but at the end he mentioned "BTW, you know our R35 GTR beat the Spoon's NSX in the US, right?" I can't stop laughing :biggrin:

Anyhow, this is what I gathered: (disclaimer: I didn't read thru all related threads so my info might be repeating what's known already)

- Spoon will be offering a complete car to public w/ warranty. That means it is not a conversion service offering to existing US-owner. My guess is this will be a similar offering just like the Nismo R34 GTR Z-spec. Spoon's is going to buy existing LHD US-spec NSX (DOT approved) and then convert it with NSX-R parts.
- The complete car I saw was a NA1 shell, NA2 3.5L engine, NA2 tranny, Spoon's NSX-R GT F/R bumper, NSX-R interior car with a bunch of other NSX-R goodies.
- I asked if they will be offering NA2 coupe to the US with such conversion. I guess this is the question on most ppl's mind. At this point, they are not doing that given the limited cars available (US-spec) for such procedure. My guess is a JDM car will have to go thru lots of trouble before it can be DOT approved...
- At the moment, they do not have the detail built sheet/spec available except for the items I listed above.
- Cost: at this point, the estimated price for this car ranges from 135K - 150K depends on the spec. With the strong yen, this is gonna be tough sale in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Spoon's noted this is still in development stage so information listed above is subject to change. (I am hoping the price part will be much lower :wink:)

That's all I gathered but I stand corrected if Spoon's cares to provide more detail info at this point.

Some pics of the Spoon's NSX I took at the show:

DSC00498.JPG

DSC00495.JPG

DSC00494.JPG

DSC00499.JPG

DSC00497.JPG

DSC00504.JPG

The interesting part is their senior guy (NOT Ichishima-san) doesn't really understand my question and they pulled a guy from Mine's for translation...The Mine's guy is prob a Japanese American with fluent English. He helped out a lot, but at the end he mentioned "BTW, you know our R35 GTR beat the Spoon's NSX in the US, right?" I can't stop laughing :biggrin:

Anyhow, this is what I gathered: (disclaimer: I didn't read thru all related threads so my info might be repeating what's known already)

- Spoon will be offering a complete car to public w/ warranty. That means it is not a conversion service offering to existing US-owner. My guess is this will be a similar offering just like the Nismo R34 GTR Z-spec. Spoon's is going to buy existing LHD US-spec NSX (DOT approved) and then convert it with NSX-R parts.
- The complete car I saw was a NA1 shell, NA2 3.5L engine, NA2 tranny, Spoon's NSX-R GT F/R bumper, NSX-R interior car with a bunch of other NSX-R goodies.
- I asked if they will be offering NA2 coupe to the US with such conversion. I guess this is the question on most ppl's mind. At this point, they are not doing that given the limited cars available (US-spec) for such procedure. My guess is a JDM car will have to go thru lots of trouble before it can be DOT approved...
- At the moment, they do not have the detail built sheet/spec available except for the items I listed above.
- Cost: at this point, the estimated price for this car ranges from 135K - 150K depends on the spec. With the strong yen, this is gonna be tough sale in my opinion. :rolleyes:

Spoon's noted this is still in development stage so information listed above is subject to change. (I am hoping the price part will be much lower :wink:)

That's all I gathered but I stand corrected if Spoon's cares to provide more detail info at this point.

Thanks Bling! Geez this is so all over the board now. Sigh Spoon said in SCC mag that they would have a final announcement at the 09 TAS , but from what they told you they're still working it out.

Word was they had actual NA2 NSX-R chassis that they were using for the conversion but you say the red car was a NA1?? Also when you say NA2 tranny did they mean NA2 NSX-R tranny? Also they said they would be using actual 3.2 NSX-R engines are you sure that car a had a bored out 3.5L ?

Cool that you were there though and thanks for reporting back what you heard. I guess I'll have to wait awhile longer then for the confirmation of pricing and packaging:frown:

exciting news...and funny how this thread has branched out from its original title/message:biggrin:

personally, im holding off on getting toooo excited and saving my ooohs and ahhhs until the first one hits US land. will it be sold from OPAK then? wonder what the markup will be...

exciting news...and funny how this thread has branched out from its original title/message:biggrin:

personally, im holding off on getting toooo excited and saving my ooohs and ahhhs until the first one hits US land. will it be sold from OPAK then? wonder what the markup will be...

My fault:biggrin: Don't believe there will be any mark up as they're made to order. One has been built and several more ordered according to this thread
http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=796872

Are you guys serious about buying something like this?
SOS could build you a coupe with that amount of cash and have about 70K left over for a few daily drivers :cool:

Are you guys serious about buying something like this?
SOS could build you a coupe with that amount of cash and have about 70K left over for a few daily drivers :cool:

They can't build a NSX-R:frown:. The Spoon is for people who want an NSX-R. If it was just about money most wouldn't even be talking about this.

Whew! Its been a while since I've visited my thread, and yes... funny how it has gone off in a completely different direction :biggrin:

After reading through everything its a bit of a let down to see that they still haven't panned everything out yet. I was hoping they would have all of the information ready to be thoroughly examined and dissected. For a while there I was wondering about pricing and the process of making these cars DOT compliant. For a while there I was even imagining if they would just be able to convert any JDM NSX for US roads if they were already in the business of doing it with NSX R upgrades, like say converting a Type S Zero to LHD or something like that. But it doesn't look like they are going to do that.

What I find a little confusing is just how many US Spec NSX's will they buy to do these conversions?

They can't build a NSX-R:frown:. The Spoon is for people who want an NSX-R. If it was just about money most wouldn't even be talking about this.

Watch that video, it's not a REAL NSX-R that they are converting. It's a LHD NSX that has NSX-R parts on it. Different than a real one! You can do the same thing like Vance, Anil, etc. did and save a ton. Aren't the knock off parts already available?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AGYUHQNl2k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AGYUHQNl2k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Watch that video, it's not a REAL NSX-R that they are converting. It's a LHD NSX that has NSX-R parts on it. Different than a real one! You can do the same thing like Vance, Anil, etc. did and save a ton. Aren't the knock off parts already available?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AGYUHQNl2k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1AGYUHQNl2k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Uh they spent a ton because they went with OEM NSX-R parts if I'm not mistaken.

So its 150K for basically a LHD car that Spoon Purchased and started life as an Acura, then is through tedious modification made into a Type R? The video wasn't as detailed as I had hoped it would be about the conversion process. At least not about anything you couldn't figure from some photographs of the car. I wish I was already in japan and could just go to wherever Spoons main building is and just ask :frown:

So its 150K for basically a LHD car that Spoon Purchased and started life as an Acura, then is through tedious modification made into a Type R? The video wasn't as detailed as I had hoped it would be about the conversion process. At least not about anything you couldn't figure from some photographs of the car. I wish I was already in japan and could just go to wherever Spoons main building is and just ask :frown:

No it's actually $125k and if your in California you could go to Opak racing and ask:biggrin:

Oh I see what you mean on the "based on the LHD Acura" I believe all he's trying to say is we used the parts from a left hand drive NSX.

Last edited:
No it's actually $125k and if your in California you could go to Opak racing and ask:biggrin:

Oh I see what you mean on the "based on the LHD Acura" I believe all he's trying to say is we used the parts from a left hand drive NSX.

So parts from acura are going onto jdm chassis?

So parts from acura are going onto jdm chassis?

Oh no buddy the Acura NSX is just a rebadged LHD Honda NSX. Since Honda apparently has LHD NSX chassis which by default would be Acura NSX chassis is what he's referring to. This car would seem quite superior to the standard JDM NSX-R by multiple improvements. Like this

Not mentioned in the video is that over 3000 points of reinforcements was made to the body for more chassis rigidity.

Here's a nice link
http://drive.gtchannel.com/?c=127&a=1588

The more and more news I read about the Spoon NSX the more I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it still or not. I just remember someone saying ( and its something I wouldn't have thought of till I had it ) that they would be too paranoid to even bring it out to a track for that much money. I mean the price DOES make the premium you pay on a 95 to 02 coupe seem very reasonable... I just was wondering if I should hold out for an NA2 coupe and use the other cash to delve into all the other things that are great and automotive, like tuning my S2000 and eventually getting whatever example I have up to R specs like you are doing with your LBBP. The long term investment is arguable as once I have sunk my teeth in a car it is practically impossible for me to let it go.

The more and more news I read about the Spoon NSX the more I'm beginning to wonder if its worth it still or not. I just remember someone saying ( and its something I wouldn't have thought of till I had it ) that they would be too paranoid to even bring it out to a track for that much money. I mean the price DOES make the premium you pay on a 95 to 02 coupe seem very reasonable... I just was wondering if I should hold out for an NA2 coupe and use the other cash to delve into all the other things that are great and automotive, like tuning my S2000 and eventually getting whatever example I have up to R specs like you are doing with your LBBP. The long term investment is arguable as once I have sunk my teeth in a car it is practically impossible for me to let it go.

Funny I didn't start to think about not tracking it until the guy told me they were only making five. The inevitable "what if I f*ck up on the track" fear came to mind , of course buying it and not tracking a car built to be tracked makes no sense either. It's becoming a conundrum.

I think you're right. The more I think about it, the more I think it's not worth it. Sure there will only be 5 made, but that's about the only attraction. In speaking with Spoon it doesn't seem that you could even call this a Type R. It's more like an NSX with Type R parts that Spoon has added some parts too. The snorkel isn't even functional.

In my mind, it makes more sense to buy whatever car you want and send it to SOS. Even if you paid a premium of $70k for a low mile stock 2005 NSX, you still have $55k to play with in mods. That will go a long way including buying the uber expensive NSX-R seats.

I think you're right. The more I think about it, the more I think it's not worth it. Sure there will only be 5 made, but that's about the only attraction. In speaking with Spoon it doesn't seem that you could even call this a Type R. It's more like an NSX with Type R parts that Spoon has added some parts too. The snorkel isn't even functional.

In my mind, it makes more sense to buy whatever car you want and send it to SOS. Even if you paid a premium of $70k for a low mile stock 2005 NSX, you still have $55k to play with in mods. That will go a long way including buying the uber expensive NSX-R seats.

SOS couldn't get you half the type R parts but they do have some nice stuff if you have deep pockets. Either way we gotta pay to play:biggrin:

if I had 55k in my pocket at the end of the day it would be too tempting to spend on other things. I love cars too much to put all of that into just one of them Id be happy with a coupe, and I would almost certainly put that down on a E92 M3 or a GT-R in a heartbeat. But when the money slowly trickles in I like buying this and that for my cars. I'm assuming Opak will be selling Type R parts for longer than these cars will be offered for sale, and if thats the case it seems the most feasible route.

if I had 55k in my pocket at the end of the day it would be too tempting to spend on other things. I love cars too much to put all of that into just one of them Id be happy with a coupe, and I would almost certainly put that down on a E92 M3 or a GT-R in a heartbeat. But when the money slowly trickles in I like buying this and that for my cars. I'm assuming Opak will be selling Type R parts for longer than these cars will be offered for sale, and if thats the case it seems the most feasible route.

Heck $55k can buy you an E92 M3 as they're not holding their value like they used to or perhaps it's just the current economy. I was looking the other day and you can find them in the $40's.

Unknown but if I don't get the Spoon there are some parts I would like such as the manifold and valve covers , brakes , the lighter weight alternator they're using and if it would work on our cars the NSX-R ECU.

So much of the NSX-R stuff doesn't work on our cars from what I've read.:frown:

P.S Oh yeah and the front and rear bumpers if they save as much weight as what they're saying.

Last edited:
The deal breaker for me is really the engine choices. The fact that they probably aren't going to be practically new NSX-R engines is really a buzz kill considering the price. I was so optimistic about this project at the on set what with the death of the NSX successor. But the further this gets from genuine NSX-R the harder it is to justify the price. :frown:

Guess I'm back in the market for a Coupe.

Back