• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

#AcuraNSXOnTour

I see they're still showing the ugly Rubbermaid-like engine cover. Since they don't seem to be embarrassed to show it, why did the original tour cars have blacked out engine bays? And why did they reportedly refuse to let anyone see inside the engine bay? I'm starting to wonder if they have a surprise in store for us with respect to the engine.

After some leads from Jhae Pfenning and contacting my local Dealer GM, I was able to find out where NSX2.0 was sleeping. However, it was an hour away in Austin, Texas. They were going to be in late to Austin so I elected not to watch them arrive. Wondering if I was on a wild goose chase, I drove my NSX up to Sterling Acura in Austin. Got there at about 7:30 am and waited. About 20 mins later, the support vehicles with their Ohio Manufacturer plates pulled in and waved as they saw my Orange Unicorn. I got out of my car and before I could say anything one of the guys said "I suppose you want to see the cars" and showed me the way. They told me that they can't give specifics as to where they are stopping and the cars are not for public viewing. But, if you can figure out where they are, you are from NSX Club and/or arrive in your NSX they will be accommodating. They are all engineers and there are eight of them that rotate drivers every two hours. The support vehicles carry extra sets of wheels, tires and tools. They usually, get to the dealer at about 8 am or so the car gets cleaned, they let the dealer staff and whomever else is there look the car over and on occasion sit in the car and then they do photo ops for the dealer's PR person. And hit the road for their next destination at about 10 am. They are a great bunch of folks and I enjoyed my time with them and the car.

Attachments

• DSCN1517.jpg
    DSCN1517.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN1523.jpg
    DSCN1523.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 605
  • DSCN1515.jpg
    DSCN1515.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN1516.jpg
    DSCN1516.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1511.jpg
    DSCN1511.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN1508.jpg
    DSCN1508.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN1528.jpg
    DSCN1528.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 239
Great rolling video from the LBBP, love the rear view mirror shot. That would have been a fun drive, well done!

you sir may have the first pic of the rear trunk....I'm studying it intently.....

It's so funny that we are all spoiled having a usable trunk that honestly I could care less about the final numbers but more about it being an everyday supercar.

See above. That's exactly what I'm thinking. It needs to be quick and fun aka our gen1 but it doesn't need to be the fastest. Just do everything very well for a super car.

you sir may have the first pic of the rear trunk....I'm studying it intently.....

Here's another shot of the trunk for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 963
Looking at that engine bay, doesn't look like there is any easy way to check the oil or any other fluids. I know it won't have a standard dipstick, but I wonder if they are going the way of the Germans and having electronic oil level monitoring?

In fact it looks like a downright pain to do even routine maintenance on the engine.

If the people that see these in "the wild" can copy down the VIN numbers, it'd be great. I'm copying them down for posterity's sake.

I've only got one so far.

I didn't. Thanks for letting me know. I'll go back and check.

Saw a couple pics of the black with screen name associated with them but no VIN. Can you forward it to me?

Last edited:
Let Ben know. He's compiling them also.

2015-08-16%2010.26.02_zps7un1ce9k.jpg

I think they are telling us 1996 was the best year......:wink:

I think they are telling us 1996 was the best year......:wink:
Nice try .. but I doubt it. According to this source http://www.autocalculator.org/VIN/WMI.aspx#.VdYwFPlViko the first 3 characters identify the manufacturer and country. 1=US and 9U is Acura so 19U prefix makes sense. Then according to the Wiki (http://www.nsxprime.com/nsx-faq/nsx-vin-information/) the next 5 characters identify various aspects about the vehicle. For the current gen, it was things like manual vs auto, coupe vs T-type, etc. So, it's any guess as to what NC199 might mean .. 'NC' for New Coupe maybe. But the 199 part kills your idea that 1996 is revelant. Actually, the 9th digit '6' is the check digit .. and for this VIN, '6' is a legit check digit. Then 'G' is the prod'n year and 'Y' is the factory designation followed by 990007 which sort of implies that they won't make any more than 9999 of them. 'G' as the prod'n year doesn't appear to relate to the characters used for the current gen which started at M and ran through to Y (missing O, Q, and U) before turning to 0 to 5 but I did discover a 2015 TLX which has an F in that spot so G for 2016 probably makes sense.

Nice try .. but I doubt it. According to this source http://www.autocalculator.org/VIN/WMI.aspx#.VdYwFPlViko the first 3 characters identify the manufacturer and country. 1=US and 9U is Acura so 19U prefix makes sense. Then according to the Wiki (http://www.nsxprime.com/nsx-faq/nsx-vin-information/) the next 5 characters identify various aspects about the vehicle. For the current gen, it was things like manual vs auto, coupe vs T-type, etc. So, it's any guess as to what NC199 might mean .. 'NC' for New Coupe maybe. But the 199 part kills your idea that 1996 is revelant. Actually, the 9th digit '6' is the check digit .. and for this VIN, '6' is a legit check digit. Then 'G' is the prod'n year and 'Y' is the factory designation followed by 990007 which sort of implies that they won't make any more than 9999 of them. 'G' as the prod'n year doesn't appear to relate to the characters used for the current gen which started at M and ran through to Y (missing O, Q, and U) before turning to 0 to 5 but I did discover a 2015 TLX which has an F in that spot so G for 2016 probably makes sense.

Are you a UN translator :tongue:...........or biblical scholar :wink:

tough to make funny outa vin......:redface:

Back