• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aluminum Racing Jack $89.99

nsxtasy said:
Yes, I have one. It weighs 24.2 pounds, which is extremely light - very convenient for packing/unpacking in the car, etc. I consider it well built and high quality.

So what's the difference between this and jacks costing 2-3 times more? This one is slightly smaller (you can see the dimensions on the Harbor Freight website). While that makes it easier to pack inside the car, it creates a couple of disadvantages. One is that a larger floor jack would be even sturdier (although this one is fairly sturdy); it may not make a difference if you're just using it to change tires and brake pads on concrete, but if you're doing more work than that or jacking on gravel, well... you're probably using jack stands anyway. ;) Another is that the pole is shorter than on some jacks (it comes in two pieces, BTW), so you don't get quite as much leverage; they compensate for this by requiring 6-8 pumps to raise the side of the car, compared with as few as 2 pumps for some larger jacks.

If you do a lot of work on your car, and you are looking for a jack that is going to stay in your garage all the time, a larger one (such as the Sears jack, or the $130 Harbor Freight jack or the $200 Harbor Freight jack) might be more suitable. If you're looking for a jack for occasional use and/or one that you want to move from place to place (like taking it to the track), this one is terrific (and so is the price).

91039.gif

Thanks Ken (and to the others that posted). I just ordered the jack from Harbor Freight for $79.99 (it's actually back ordered until the end of August). I bought it with track days in mind.

Tim

Rennphile said:
it's actually back ordered until the end of August
Those of you who live near a Harbor Freight store can print out the web page showing the sale price, and take it to your local store, and see if they have it in stock and will honor the web sale price. Mine did.

Re: Aluminum Racing Jack - now $89.99

man I just jacked up my nsx on the weekend...I totally did NOT have the right jack for the job I did so many stupid intermediate steps to get it on stands...good thing no one was watching :p I need one of these but they are like $200 (140ish) at princess auto here in canada

Hey Satan_srv I was just in to my local Princess Auto and they have a very similar alum jack to the one being discussed here for only $77 or so. The bigger ones are on for $199 and $250.

bizman said:
Hey Satan_srv I was just in to my local Princess Auto and they have a very similar alum jack to the one being discussed here for only $77 or so. The bigger ones are on for $199 and $250.

hmm....they must not have that one in stock here right now then..I'll look around THANKS for the inof

bizman said:
I was just in to my local Princess Auto and they have a very similar alum jack to the one being discussed here for only $77 or so.
If you are referring to the $77.77 Princess Auto item 8057577, that's a standard inexpensive 80-pound steel floor jack with a 5 3/8" minimum lift height:
8057577.gif

that is nothing like the 24-pound aluminum jack being discussed here with the 3" minimum lift height.

If you're talking about a different jack, then they don't have it on their website.

Finally went out and bought one today after using Ken's Monday it fits under my car perfect even with room to spare. I have Eibach springs Koni shocks and 215-40-17s and 265-35-18s. They have the fliers in store that has the sale price in it for $79.99 if it does not ring up at that. The great thing is I had to wait ten minutes to check out and the gal gave me a free two year extended warranty valued at $19.99 pretty cool... :D

Last edited:
Back