• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Annoying Creak / Squeak

I have an annoying creak / squeak at the forward edge of the dashboard between the dashboard and the defroster vent assembly. If I push / pull on the narrow bolster at the front edge of the dashboard I hear the creak as the vinyl rubs against whatever is underneath it. I've tried pushing narrow pieces of felt in the gap between the dash and the vent with some success, but there is still some creaking. Removing the dashboard doesn't seem like an acceptable option, as I'm likely to create more noises than I fix. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,
Gary

hey Gary..i have used the felt shims to good effect....but i have not dismantled the dash.On my 96 I'm getting all sorts of sqeaks,growns, vibrations from various areas in the dash.....Just not ready to "refresh' the interior.If I were I'd just send it to Joe.

Hi John,
I think the reason that I have not had 100% success with the felt shims is that there are tight spots (where the dash retaining clips are) that I can't get the shims in. I'm wondering if there is some lubricant that I can spray / dribble in there that might help. I seem to recall (in a previous life) that silicone spray on vinyl makes it worse.

Hope all is well,
Gary

prime is awesome in how much nsx info/minutia is buried within.I have to think we have discussed just about everything...and bright people to boot doing it...

Last edited:
I had the dash squeek issue years ago and solved it by forcing small strips of white plastic foam sheeting (the kind delicate bits are wrapped in for shipping) in the gaps. I did have to take the glove box out to get in there. It's been years and the dash is still silent.

Last edited:
i tried the shinetsu on the pipe cleaner.it didn't seem to help much at first,but after a while the dash squeaking pretty much went away.it may have just taken a while to work its way around.if it starts again i'll try the foam sheeting.

Bringing this thread back from the dead. The Zero is getting the squeak bad. After some troubleshooting, I discovered it's coming not from the dash itself, but the defroster trim. There is a foam seal strip on the back of the trim piece that is contacting the windshield glass and making the squeak. It seems like during the cold weather, the squeak went away. Now that things are warming up, it's come back. My guess is that the warmth expanded the trim piece and it's now hitting the glass. It's a brand new part from Honda, as my old one was cracked.

Any thoughts on how to make it go away? Pipe cleaner with Shin-Etsu between the foam and the glass??

Back