• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Ferrari owners?

JAM

Contributing Member
I am curious to know if anyone here has owned a Ferrari 308? A local guy has a very clean 308GTS carb car that is very fairly priced as winter is comming here in Buffalo! I wondered if anyone has any input on these cars that has owned them for a while... i.e. cost of service, issues, etc. I know it isn't the reliable performer the NSX is, but I was thinking of getting it to play around in once in a while.:D

I looked into getting a 308 about 5 years ago. I had found a '83 with 29K miles at the local Ferrari dealer and they were asking around $33k. So I did a lot of research and decided against the purchase, and here is why...

First of all, performance is not good at all by current standards. 0-60 is around 8.5 seconds. That was fast back then, but today that is no faster than a base model RSX. Handling is decent, but again, not up to current standards. The car came with 14" wheels and did not have low profile tires. So obviously this is a car for image and not for performance.

And then there is maintanance. Oil changes are around $150 and you need one every 2500 miles. And here is the bad part -- you need a tune-up every 15k miles. The tune-up on this car requires a partial rebuild and costs $3500.

Also, I read they are not the most reliable cars.

So unless you are just looking for a cool looking car to go cruising with occasionally, I would recommend against it. It doesn't perform well, and due to the high maintanance costs, you can't drive it often.

I hope this helps.

They are fun cars to play around with, but not the same as the X.
I had 2 Euro 308GTBI cars for a few years.
The belts are a big problem on these cars. Mine was sitting for the winter and I went to start it up the belt broke and I bent a valve. Those cars just break if you let them sit.

- All the rubber dry rots, and the gaskets only work for about 6
months then they start leaking.

+ But if you always wanted a F car, the 308 is a good start for
little money. (up front)

- Carb cars need alot more work than the injected models.

- They are also alot slower.

- The dealer charges an arm and a leg to work on any F car
I liked the 308 a lot more than my TR.

+ You can find lots of cheap new and used parts on the web.
- Its not going to be a daily driver.

- But the 308 does not even compare in any way shape
or form to the NSX.

If you can fix your own car and allways wanted one do it.
Good luck Brian

" And here is the bad part -- you need a tune-up every 15k miles. The tune-up on this car requires a partial rebuild and costs $3500."

I believe this is the interval for the timing belt change as well, 15k or every 5 years. According to what I've read the engine has to be removed for this and runs anywhere b/w $5000-$7000. The magazine Sports Car Market is a really good soure of information for these kinds of cars. In any case I would do some serious research before getting into one of these.

Nate

Ok, just did a search of the SCM website and its the 348 that needs the engine removed for major service. The $3000-4000 quoted by someone else was correct. Interestingly they say the carbureted cars are actually faster than the early injected models, as well as cheaper to maintain. FWIW

Last edited:
I've owned both a '84 308QV and a '81 512bb. The NSX is a lot newer so the comparison is not fair. Ferrraris are raw fun and get a lot of comments, but the performance can be matched by many other lower/similar priced cars. You buy a Ferrari just because.....it's a Ferrai and you have always wanted one. If you want a car to drive for 2 years and only do a few oils changes, then look elsewhere. I feel the NSX was built to behave like a Ferrari.....4500 rpm and up. Decent hp/weight ratio but not a lot of torque.
Ferrrari service is expensive because it's a Ferrari and they can. However, if you are a mechanic, the older cars are very basic and many DIY do all the repairs. Parts can also get expensive. I had great luck with both cars. I didn't have to experience a 30k major wit h a new clutch.

Thanks for the info guys... I own a Lambo Jalpa and an NSX now and I certainly know the differences between the two cars regarding service and performance. I am pretty good with a wrench and I am only considering the 308 because I know the prior owner and it is very cheap for the car (less than 20k and the car is a 2 owner 22,ooo mile car) <p>
Its just something I am kicking around... I bought my g/f an 01 M3 last month and now I have the bug to get myself another car as well.

Back