• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone else ordering an AR today?

Put about 100 rounds through the HK45 today and picked up some more 223 and some defensive 45ACP ammo too.

The HK was pretty good shooter. At least better than what I could do with it. Recoil wasn't bad at all. Felt a lot like the USP. I think the trigger is better in my 92FS though.

I feel sorry for the punks that try to smash your pumpkins this Halloween. :smile::eek:

I feel sorry for the punks that try to smash your pumpkins this Halloween. :smile::eek:

What pumpkins? He'll be taking them to the range and blowing them up with .45 rounds. At least that's what I would do. Pumpkins make some of the best targets. :smile:

I just noticed that your location also says Santa Maria, CA. If you live in CA and plan on having the AR15 here, then you better be aware of CA guns laws. You can land in serious trouble.

CA has the strictest gun laws in the country for private citizens.

In CA:

- You have to have a bullet button for the mag release or it is considered an assault rifle if you have any of the evil features: pistol grip, collapsible stock, forward grip, flash hinder, etc. The bullet button will not make it legal, but it doesn't make it illegal either. It is a grey area.

- Ten round mags only unless they are pre-banned. But you have to have it in your possession before the ban. You can not buy them or have someone give it to you. Only exception is if your Parents gave them to you.

- Certain strip lowers are banned here. Stags are OK.

- No full auto or 3 round burst allowed.

Isnt full auto and 3 round burst banned throughout the United States for many many decades unless you have some sort of special permit?

Someone PLEASE answer this as I am moving myself and my business to OC this Monday and the gun laws that I am reading are ridiculous. Yesterday was completely disgusting as a sherriff in OC attempted to revoke CCW permits without a legal reason from law-abidding people a few days after a criminal that was let out too early by the state shot 5 officers with an illegal weapon. Awesome. Can't wait to witness stupidity everyday.

The problem with CCWs here, or throughout California, is that the option to have one isn't readily available to ordinary law abiding citizens like most of us on here. From my understanding, you have to prove that you have the need for one to your county sheriff and it is up to his/her discretion. In Orange County, the problem with the issued CCWs is that they were issued by the former corrupt and disgraced Sheriff, Mike Carona, mostly to his friends and political allies and contributors. As a resident here, I don't have a problem with them having it as long as they are upstanding citizens but its still important to point out how they got them in the first place.

From what I understand, there are two diverging conventional wisdoms about the above:

- home defense gun should have a round in the chamber. Reason being that if you need it for immediate defense, the firearm should be ready to go at a moment's notice.

- home defense gun should be loaded but not chambered. Reason being that the dreariness of sleep may cause you to make bad decisions with a firearm and chambering a round will cause the shooter to be that much more conscious and aware of what exactly is happening.

I chose the latter from advice from one of the shooting classes I attended a couple years ago. It made sense at the time but that's hoping that the intruder doesn't get the drop on me. Choices choices choices...

I would go with the latter as well to. Even if I live alone, I would not trust myself with a loaded gun under my pillow, especially considering how dreary and incoherent one can be upon waking up. Or, when you suddenly wake up from some sort of realistic nightmare and probably grab the gun and instinctively grab the gun to "defend" yourself.

Let me chime in...that's not a dumb question, but logically coming from a view of you and I both living in so-cal its not that practical to use for home defense, reason being..as mentioned it can go through walls, even your neighbors wall. I know several people that live in o.c with ar15's that use it for sport shooting it's a good weapon for medium range.

I doubt in so-cal we have to worry about katrina, but think about a large earthquake...it would be katrina like, a riot...yes that is in the possibility. As for home protection, look at Yellow nsx's post...a shot gun would get a great choice, you can buy shells that do not penetrate wall's but he has a higher end one which is semi automatic...a pump one would be fine, once an intruder hears the "shuck, shuck" of a pump they will be most likely to flee. Downside to a shotgun is that it is hard to conceal in the house do to the size. I personally use a Sig 229 for home protection, there have been instances where I did awake to weird noises and had to grab it...luckily a false alarm...I recommend having a gun, before its too late.

Yea, the pending "Big-One" earthquake would be my justification to own one of these bad boys. Depending on where you live, if and when that happens, I can pretty guarantee that there will be a mass looting here in Southern California, very much like Katrina. There obviously wont be enough law enforcement to maintain order and most of the National Guard is probably overseas serving in Iraq. Everyone will be pretty much defending themselves and having a small hand-gun will not scare away most armed criminals. But anyhow, other than that, I see these guns as mostly expensive toys for the range as they are not practical for those that live in Southern California due to the close proximity of your neighbors, especially if you live in closely spaced tract homes. These rounds will just go through ply walls and dry walls like nothing and cause you more problems than the gun itself can get you out of. So with that said, personally, I would still love to own an AR but its not smart to be the first thing to grab should you hear the dog barking late at night.

Last edited:
Isnt full auto and 3 round burst banned throughout the United States for many many decades unless you have some sort of special permit?
I forgot the exact number, but I think at least 37 states allow full auto weapons. For those states that allow them, all you need to do is pay a $200 tax stamp. So, no they aren't banned.

xknowonex said:
I would go with the latter as well to. Even if I live alone, I would not trust myself with a loaded gun under my pillow, especially considering how dreary and incoherent one can be upon waking up. Or, when you suddenly wake up from some sort of realistic nightmare and probably grab the gun and instinctively grab the gun to "defend" yourself.
If you feel you can't trust yourself with a loaded gun no matter if you're half asleep or wide awake, I don't think you should own a gun.

Damn straight. ;) Even my daughter wants to camp out and catch the perps.

What pumpkins? He'll be taking them to the range and blowing them up with .45 rounds. At least that's what I would do. Pumpkins make some of the best targets. :smile:

For the last two years, someone(s) has stolen the pumpkins we put out for Halloween. And we live in a pretty nice neighborhood w/o a whole lot of teenage kids. This Halloween though, beware the Grimm Reaper. ;)

The guys I trained with gave a few examples of just that happening. One was: groggy from sleep, some guy pulled the trigger at his son (whom he thought was an intruder) drinking orange juice from the carton in front of the refrigerator. Good thing he left the safety on. :redface:

If you feel you can't trust yourself with a loaded gun no matter if you're half asleep or wide awake, I don't think you should own a gun.

Right. Just like you shouldn't own a car if you can't trust yourself if you're half asleep while driving.

C'mon, that's just a tad irrational.

If you fear what you might do with the gun, you shouldn't own it.

That situation you gave about the guy almost shooting his son...... One of the basic rules of gun safety. Always make sure of your target. If you fear you have an intruder in your home, you don't just go blasting at any shadow in the dark. Even if you feel your life is in danger, you should still be focused. The guy even left the safety on, thank god anyway. Clearly this guy was in no state of mind to be handling a gun. You as a gun owner have to be responsible.

Yea, the pending "Big-One" earthquake would be my justification to own one of these bad boys. Depending on where you live, if and when that happens, I can pretty guarantee that there will be a mass looting here in Southern California, very much like Katrina. There obviously wont be enough law enforcement to maintain order and most of the National Guard is probably overseas serving in Iraq. Everyone will be pretty much defending themselves and having a small hand-gun will not scare away most armed criminals. But anyhow, other than that, I see these guns as mostly expensive toys for the range as they are not practical for those that live in Southern California due to the close proximity of your neighbors, especially if you live in closely spaced tract homes. These rounds will just go through ply walls and dry walls like nothing and cause you more problems than the gun itself can get you out of. So with that said, personally, I would still love to own an AR but its not smart to be the first thing to grab should you hear the dog barking late at night.

I live in so-cal, so does Calvin when his home was intruded...I guess I live in a tract housing neighborhood....I would suggest a shot gun..but hey, when a criminal gets a hand gun pointed at him maybe he won't be scared :rolleyes:...but at least I'm going to be the one alive to find out...but hey suit yourself, I fear shooting somebody and would wish it was the LAST thing I have to do as a gun owner if an intruder was in my house....but I'm glad I have the option...like insurance.

Like my buddy said, you can't change peoples attitudes, but maybe they will learn from experience..hopefully it benefits you.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BKTw-UHalZc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BKTw-UHalZc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just an example what could happen today when the Sh** hits the Fan.
A natural disaster, tax riots, civil unrests, unemployment hits 30% or when there is a breakdown in Local/Federal government.

Last edited:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/quNEzN0_toc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/quNEzN0_toc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wonder why the looters didn't hit this store?! :rolleyes:

Home defense is a very personal thing. Whether 9mm, 45ACP, 357, 223 or 12 gauge shotgun, use what you're comfortable with and feel safe with.

On a side note, I put 100 rounds through my HK45 the other day at lunch and didn't have a single hiccup. The pistol shoots better than I can aim ;) and the the recoil was much better than I expected. Guess the recoil buffer is doing it's job. However, I like the trigger in my 92FS much better...so far anyway.

What do you guys think of this baby? I am thinking of getting one. I like proven old school technology. I shot the gun that I wanted to get the other day and boy it's sure accurate (no sissy scope).

ar15sp1.jpg

What do you guys think of this baby? I am thinking of getting one. I like proven old school technology. I shot the gun that I wanted to get the other day and boy it's sure accurate (no sissy scope).

ar15sp1.jpg
How old is it? I have a friend that bought his way back in the 80's and it is a great shooting gun. Most folks like the newer tactical shorty versions being their more popular but the heavy barrel guns shoot much better.

And you can change the trigger to a 2-stage trigger from Rock River Arms (RRA).

vsy, if you don't mind, does the Rock River 2 stage diminish reliability at all or will it enhance it? Anecdotal info on the web seems mixed.

FWIW, I finally rec'd my pmags and some other parts the other day. Ordered those from Midway when I originally ordered my AR.

Next on the list are:

- uplula loader
- m-gun staker
- bolt carrier scaper

You weren't joking...parts $$ are adding up quickly. And I haven't even gotten any optics. :redface:

vsy, if you don't mind, does the Rock River 2 stage diminish reliability at all or will it enhance it? Anecdotal info on the web seems mixed.

FWIW, I finally rec'd my pmags and some other parts the other day. Ordered those from Midway when I originally ordered my AR.

Next on the list are:

- uplula loader
- m-gun staker
- bolt carrier scaper

You weren't joking...parts $$ are adding up quickly. And I haven't even gotten any optics. :redface:
You will really appreciate those maglula loaders. They are worth every cent.

How old is it? I have a friend that bought his way back in the 80's and it is a great shooting gun. Most folks like the newer tactical shorty versions being their more popular but the heavy barrel guns shoot much better.

Thats not a heavy barrel.

And functions no different then a modern rifle. The main differences are the handguards (which are weak and crack) and the A1 upper reciever which is a crappy solution if you want to use optics which make the rifle 10x more accurate and faster. If you want ultra reliable and still use iron sights go with an A2.

Last edited:
the RRA stage two upgrade helps in trigger pull, and being able to fire with a quicker rate of speed. I have the tactical rra with the upgraded trigger. Nice shooter. I recommend a 4 way rail for forgrip, flashlight, tripod...lol I also have a c-more red dot holographic piece which helps in close quarters.

Anyone own a fn five seven? I am definately either buying that piece or the mark 23 .45 from h&k.

Well, received a call from the local distributor that my 2TL finally came in today. It finally came in. Took almost 6 months exactly.

Quality looks great though I've had only a cursory look at it. No pics yet though I'll try and take some this weekend. Any spare time tonight will be spent installing some of the various parts I bought during the wait.

Pretty excited. :smile:

Congrats on the new arrival! I think this took longer than a baby. :smile:

iPhone pic of the aforementioned AR with various enhancements.

myM4.jpg

Looks weird doesn't it? ;)

Last edited:
Back