• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AP-X NSX turbo system (angus turbo kit)

Actually, I have made some progress - I am getting ready to post some results but initially I have seen about 1K rpm in spooling improvement.

Full boost at 3k rpm and top end around 400whp should be adequate to wean interest from many potential supercharger customers. Now about CA smog... :wink:

We're looking forward to some dynos!

This weekend I had the pleasure to drive in an NSX with the Precision 6262, AEM EMS and 550 RC injectors. The turbo is oil cooled only and requires no coolant hoses. The car spools faster and punches harder initially...........I don't know if it is leaps and bounds over the standard journal bearing turbo that is standard in this kit.
The boost seems to come on about 500-800 rpm's lower. What is lost with the 6262 is the higher end punch of the big old school turbo. To each his own.

Both turbos (mine and his) were tuned to 400rwhp and were between 7-8psi. I believe the precision makes about 30ftlb more peak torque. The car is soooo much more of a pleasure to drive with a turbo.

Hope this helps.

Any updates, Wil?

Yeah My car is pretty bad ass lol.

I rode in kookoos car first which really convinced me to dump the comptech..Cody over the years then Mase helped alot but riding in kookoos car sealed the deal. Being that this is my first turbo experience it was good to hear from him about the differences between our kits.

This weekend I had the pleasure to drive in an NSX with the Precision 6262, AEM EMS and 550 RC injectors. The turbo is oil cooled only and requires no coolant hoses. The car spools faster and punches harder initially...........I don't know if it is leaps and bounds over the standard journal bearing turbo that is standard in this kit.
The boost seems to come on about 500-800 rpm's lower. What is lost with the 6262 is the higher end punch of the big old school turbo. To each his own.

Both turbos (mine and his) were tuned to 400rwhp and were between 7-8psi. I believe the precision makes about 30ftlb more peak torque. The car is soooo much more of a pleasure to drive with a turbo.

Hope this helps.

Any updates, Wil?

Both are around 400rwhp but one is on a dynojet and one is on dyno dynamics. It would be interesting to see both on the same dyno, same day.

Both are around 400rwhp but one is on a dynojet and one is on dyno dynamics. It would be interesting to see both on the same dyno, same day.

I would love to see that but it would be more interesting to see them line up on a track and see what happens.

Dave

I would love to see that but it would be more interesting to see them line up on a track and see what happens.

Dave

For sure. We wanted to line them up at nsxcapades, but we didn't have a good safe road for it. Maybe next year we will do the 1/4 mile track.

Hope this helps.

Any updates, Wil?

Yes, in fact the turbo I am working on is going to provide that 500-800RPM spooling improvement although I do not wish to lose the top end so this is why it has taken a lot of work.

It'll be ready soon, I have a couple cars running it now.

are these turbo kits still being offered and if so, what price and options?

Yes, the current kit is still available as listed on the first page, pricing is $6795 forthe complete kit w/ FIC.

Pm if interested.

Last edited:
hi guys

few quick questions-
- how does the performance of these cars compare with the current crop of supercars? porsche turbo, gt3, ferrari etc
- i know a built engine allows you to run more boost but does it actually make the car more reliable? I would have thought that with the increase in power all components would be under more stress and heat, so are more likely to break?
- Will would you consider flying here (belfast) to install and tune a kit and how much would you charge?

Thanks
Jamie

hi guys!

Few quick questions-
- how does the nsx with this system compare with todays modern super cars? Lambo, ferrari, porsche, audi etc
- i understand that a built engine allows you to run more boost and power, but does it increase reliability? I had thought that perhaps the increase would put extra stress and heat on ALL components, not just the piston and rods, and so increase their chance of failing? I don't believe that it is just a question of cost why fewer people go down this route?
- Will would you consider travelling here to Ireland to install and tune your system on my car?

Very informative and encouraging thread!

Many Thanks
Jamie

No turbo or supercharger system can increase reliability. I can tell you that my car has no problem keeping up with BMW M5, AMG 55, Mustang 500GT etc. Of course a properly driven ZR1 or GT-R can out pull me at my current level(400rwhp). At the 550hp level which would require extensive motor work, almost no modern car will outrun you.

This kit and others like it have good reliability when installed and PROPERLY tuned on a HEALTHY motor. There are other upgrades such as a clutch that will probably need to be done.

As for installing the kit, you could fly me and a handful of other prime members to Ireland and we would be happy to install it. Do you by chance live near a golf course or the Guinness brewery? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

hi guys!

Few quick questions-
- how does the nsx with this system compare with todays modern super cars? Lambo, ferrari, porsche, audi etc
- i understand that a built engine allows you to run more boost and power, but does it increase reliability? I had thought that perhaps the increase would put extra stress and heat on ALL components, not just the piston and rods, and so increase their chance of failing? I don't believe that it is just a question of cost why fewer people go down this route?
- Will would you consider travelling here to Ireland to install and tune your system on my car?

Very informative and encouraging thread!

Many Thanks
Jamie

so even with a built engine, reliability is an increasing consideration? Thats great news about the the comparasin with other cars :)
re Guinness- the factory is just where they make it! We can just tour the bars. . . they're all Irish bars here! Bushmills, now THATS the place . . . :)

so even with a built engine, reliability is an increasing consideration? Thats great news about the the comparasin with other cars :)
re Guinness- the factory is just where they make it! We can just tour the bars. . . they're all Irish bars here! Bushmills, now THATS the place . . . :)

I think if Brian is willing to go to Ireland for the install it would be great! With an 11 month old boy at home, I will not be going anywhere as I have my hands full!

I think you will find that 400 - 450hp on a stock engine will be plenty fast enough to keep up with most modern cars!

Powerslave,

What is your budget? What are your goals? There is always a balance between reliability, cost and HP goals. My personal goals were, self installation(took me 3 weeks in my garage with common tools, patience and nearly no mechanical knowledge), 400rwhp and for the car to drive like stock in every other manner. I reached those goals on a reasonable budget.

If your motor is healthy, this kit and others are reliable at or just above 400rwhp without modifications or having to pull and rebuild the motor. At 350hp which would be about 5.5lbs of boost, reliability is even better and you can probably retain your stock clutch.

Anything over 430+hp(in my opinion) you are increasing risk on a stock motor.

Decide what your goals are, talk to other members about their various kits and go from there. If at all possible find a member in your country that has a boosted car.

If you are serious, go back and read the last 1000 posts in the FI section and then return with any unanswered questions!

would the car be more reliable with that done and running higher boost than on a stock 3litre with your kit at under 400whp?

Thanks for posting Brian!

Maybe I should have a boxing day sale on kits!

I just had the pleasure of buying a Beautiful black 91 NSX in great condition. I am almost ready to order this awesome kit. All my questions have been answered by reading this thread from the first page to the last (took hours). But I still have one question that no one has brought up.
My previous vehicle was a 92 Toyota MR2 Turbo tuned @ 22psi on E85 with a standalone which resulted in 422WHP.
I am looking to install this kit but I am interested in E85 for its high octane and lower temp and anti detonation qualities. So my question is can this be done with bigger injectors and the FIC? and if so what would be a safe power level on a stock motor? Would it be similar to Meth injection? Are there any NSX owners on this forum running E85 for Force Induction applications?

I just had the pleasure of buying a Beautiful black 91 NSX in great condition. I am almost ready to order this awesome kit. All my questions have been answered by reading this thread from the first page to the last (took hours). But I still have one question that no one has brought up.
My previous vehicle was a 92 Toyota MR2 Turbo tuned @ 22psi on E85 with a standalone which resulted in 422WHP.
I am looking to install this kit but I am interested in E85 for its high octane and lower temp and anti detonation qualities. So my question is can this be done with bigger injectors and the FIC? and if so what would be a safe power level on a stock motor? Would it be similar to Meth injection? Are there any NSX owners on this forum running E85 for Force Induction applications?

There is at least one person doing E85, not with my kit though. I would say that if you want E85, you'll need the full EMS to run large enough injectors.

If you have any other questions please feel free to PM me or email me, I do have some excellent deals on turbo kits right now.

Back