• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Been dreaming of an NSX...

Hi all, my name is Vinh and just wanted to introduce myself... long time browser of the forum and hopefully one day, owner of an NSX too ;)

(As corny as it sounds) been dreaming of owning an NSX since it was released... i was still a kid! Since then, have grown up pretty much only driving Hondas in the family, including 3 of my own (which i still own, lol).

Anyway, have been keeping an eye on the NSX market in oz for over 12 months now and am seriously looking to purchase soon... Unfortunately, this means selling my pride and joy and my first car... a 98 EK9 Civic Type R. :frown: As much as i love my Civic and being rare and all, the desire for an NSX is now really outweighing the love to keep the Civic... it's tuff being a Honda lover!

Well, that's my story and i look forward to chatting and hopefully meeting up with some of the Melbourne ppl.

Hi all, my name is Vinh and just wanted to introduce myself... long time browser of the forum and hopefully one day, owner of an NSX too ;)

(As corny as it sounds) been dreaming of owning an NSX since it was released... i was still a kid! Since then, have grown up pretty much only driving Hondas in the family, including 3 of my own (which i still own, lol).

Anyway, have been keeping an eye on the NSX market in oz for over 12 months now and am seriously looking to purchase soon... Unfortunately, this means selling my pride and joy and my first car... a 98 EK9 Civic Type R. :frown: As much as i love my Civic and being rare and all, the desire for an NSX is now really outweighing the love to keep the Civic... it's tuff being a Honda lover!

Well, that's my story and i look forward to chatting and hopefully meeting up with some of the Melbourne ppl.

Hi Mate welcome to the forum. You won't regret an NSX purchase and I don't know anyone who has.
Without sounding contradicting, mine may be for sale in the near future 50% chance at the moment. If I listed it now it would be the only Manual for sale that doesn't cost $140000 :rolleyes:

Anyway good luck, NSX is very easy to live with

Hi Vinh,
good luck with your search,
you may love your civic but an nsx is far more exciting.
I've just been out red lining my nsx around town.
Serious fun:smile:

thanks for the welcomes :wink:

yeah, would definitely miss the CTR, but i know for sure the NSX will be worth it!

now i'm stuck with that all too common issue... auto or rare manual? to be honest, i could wait a few more years and have more to spend and search for the perfect manual model... but i thought "why waste $10k buying and selling an S2K" or similar car when i can get an NSX now? hehe... but i'll be patient anyway...

Get an auto if that's your thing.
Do you know they are only 188 kw compared to the 201 kw of the manual?
Another option is get an auto and convert it to a manual.

Last edited:
I'll just have to wait and see what pops up... i'd be happy with either, it's an NSX!

Does the lack of power steering in the manuals make the steering heavy, especially for parking?

And what do you guys think of the cheaper NSX's for sale on carsales now? My budget is definitely the lower end of the scale :rolleyes:
91, auto, silver, 66k km, $44k (belongs to a member here?)
91, auto, black, 110k km, $45k
93, auto, red, 92k km, $57k

I'll just have to wait and see what pops up... i'd be happy with either, it's an NSX!

Does the lack of power steering in the manuals make the steering heavy, especially for parking?

And what do you guys think of the cheaper NSX's for sale on carsales now? My budget is definitely the lower end of the scale :rolleyes:
There is also a black auto on ebay in Qld. Starting bid $47,500 with 44,000 k's. I have a manual and the lack of power steering is not a problem.

Did'nt the 94 nsx manual come out with power steering?
Mine is a 94 and both me and my mechanic are under the impression that it has power steering.
Now i'm thinking is this correct or not.
Can anybody clarify this
Cheers

Alot of guys like the 91.
Its the lightest nsx and also the original nsx.
One down side is that if you get a manual it could be in the snap ring failure zone.(honda produced gearbox housings that had a floor in this era which can cause snap rings to fail).
I would be most concerned about km's and condition of the car.
i think you would be very happy with any nsx.
Beware if you ever need to get parts off honda make sure your sitting down when you hear the price of them.:rolleyes:

There is also a black auto on ebay in Qld. Starting bid $47,500 with 44,000 k's. I have a manual and the lack of power steering is not a problem.
Yup, saw that too... added to my shortlist :tongue:

Mine is a 94 and both me and my mechanic are under the impression that it has power steering.
Can anybody clarify this
Cheers
Was reading somewhere else it might have been 95 and onwards.

Alot of guys like the 91.
Its the lightest nsx and also the original nsx.
One down side is that if you get a manual it could be in the snap ring failure zone.(honda produced gearbox housings that had a floor in this era which can cause snap rings to fail).
I would be most concerned about km's and condition of the car.
i think you would be very happy with any nsx.
Beware if you ever need to get parts off honda make sure your sitting down when you hear the price of them.:rolleyes:
Has this happened to anyone in Australia? Did read up on the failure, but i guess lot of cars have their own "typical" issues. When i was buying my A4, read up on a common gearbox problem that potentially would cost $3-4k to fix - scared the heck out of me but then again, it comes with the territory when buying any car.

Last edited:
Can anybody clarify this
Cheers

'93 onwards Australian delivered cars all had power steering! Trust me you know when you have manual steering!

The US was '95...

Last edited:
What are you guys paying for insurance?

I just did some online quotes and i can't get any premiums under $2.5k... even with increased excess! i'm 29, no accident history, quoting a 91 NSX (market value approx $45k), rating 1, no finance, live in the suburbs (i tried a few, from east to westside), etc... pretty standard conditions.

How do i hear other people get premiums under $1k? And even for cars over $100k, i've heard of better premiums... should i move house? LOL.

And where are all the manual NSX's?!

What are you guys paying for insurance?

I just did some online quotes and i can't get any premiums under $2.5k... even with increased excess! i'm 29, no accident history, quoting a 91 NSX (market value approx $45k), rating 1, no finance, live in the suburbs (i tried a few, from east to westside), etc... pretty standard conditions.

How do i hear other people get premiums under $1k? And even for cars over $100k, i've heard of better premiums... should i move house? LOL.

And where are all the manual NSX's?!

WOW! I get 2 NSX's and a 4WD fully insured for less than that!

Shannons - extreme limited use (I think less than 4,000km's per year) for the NSX's and the 4WD is unlimited km as it is considered daily driven.

Have you tried Just Car? They charge me $1,200 on my '98 NSX valued at $90,000
Tried, but can't do it online... i'll probably just wait then give them a call. I'd definitely be happy with $1200.
WOW! I get 2 NSX's and a 4WD fully insured for less than that!

Shannons - extreme limited use (I think less than 4,000km's per year) for the NSX's and the 4WD is unlimited km as it is considered daily driven.
I'd probably be in this extreme limited use bracket, since i have a company car + missus' car to drive daily.

But i think it comes down to where i live... which sux.

Anyone know much about the imported 91 silver auto NSX on carsales? I think it's owned by "Teza" on here...

Hey Mike,
how are you getting insurance on your turbo nsx?

I sent Shannons a couple of magazine articles about my car which detail and had photographs in it of some of the modifications, coupled with some press photos of it competing in the Targa Tasmania and that was sufficient for them to make an assessment and we agreed a value. I can't tell you exactly what the premium is off the top of my head, I'd need to look it up, but between $1,000 - $1,300 is about right.

I sent Shannons a couple of magazine articles about my car which detail and had photographs in it of some of the modifications, coupled with some press photos of it competing in the Targa Tasmania and that was sufficient for them to make an assessment and we agreed a value. I can't tell you exactly what the premium is off the top of my head, I'd need to look it up, but between $1,000 - $1,300 is about right.
I take it your 91 is not road registered?

Back