• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Been dreaming of an NSX...

I take it your 91 is not road registered?

Yes my '91 is road registered. So is my '98... What gave you that impression?

I still need to get my NSX to events and even speed events like Targa have transport stages where you have to drive to the next special stage. So being road registered is a must for me.

Yes my '91 is road registered. So is my '98... What gave you that impression?

I still need to get my NSX to events and even speed events like Targa have transport stages where you have to drive to the next special stage. So being road registered is a must for me.
I was wondering how you can get insurance with a turbo/supercharger fitted.
Did you get an engineers certificate?

I was wondering how you can get insurance with a turbo/supercharger fitted.
Did you get an engineers certificate?

Two different issues there... Engineer’s certificate is required for registration not insurance.

Insurance companies will take your money no matter what. It's only when need to claim from them that they start to look at modifications, licence points etc. Anything so they don't have to pay out.

Insurance is a false sense of security these days.

What was very evident in the floods in Brisbane this year is not all insurance companies are equal! Only one (1) insurance company stood by its flood cover. Every other one hid behind some "rising water" clause and hired hydrological engineers to prove it wasn't a flood, it was rising water. :mad:

Back to car insurance... I figured that I may pay a little bit more for my insurance with Shannons but the choice of repairer and a target customer base of enthusiasts with modified cars (I think) means they may be more inclined to honour a claim provided I have 100% disclosure to them! Hence why I sent them everything I had on the modifications to my car and I agreed a reasonable value (less than its replacement value and worth IMO but acceptable to me) in the event of a total loss.

Unless you are 100% stock, forget about insurance with the regular insurers. Secondly, read a few Australian forums on experiences with insurers of prestige or rare cars in the event of a claim. Pick one with your eyes wide open. Then I'd take the car to them and have them inspect it and photograph it as you would a piece of jewellery for their records.

Insurance in Australia is almost as bad paying into a Nigerian scam. You can bet that they are going to try to do everything they legally can to weasel out of the contract in the event of a total loss claim!

Two different issues there... Engineer’s certificate is required for registration not insurance.

Insurance companies will take your money no matter what. It's only when need to claim from them that they start to look at modifications, licence points etc. Anything so they don't have to pay out.

Insurance is a false sense of security these days.

What was very evident in the floods in Brisbane this year is not all insurance companies are equal! Only one (1) insurance company stood by its flood cover. Every other one hid behind some "rising water" clause and hired hydrological engineers to prove it wasn't a flood, it was rising water. :mad:

Back to car insurance... I figured that I may pay a little bit more for my insurance with Shannons but the choice of repairer and a target customer base of enthusiasts with modified cars (I think) means they may be more inclined to honour a claim provided I have 100% disclosure to them! Hence why I sent them everything I had on the modifications to my car and I agreed a reasonable value (less than its replacement value and worth IMO but acceptable to me) in the event of a total loss.

Unless you are 100% stock, forget about insurance with the regular insurers. Secondly, read a few Australian forums on experiences with insurers of prestige or rare cars in the event of a claim. Pick one with your eyes wide open. Then I'd take the car to them and have them inspect it and photograph it as you would a piece of jewellery for their records.

Insurance in Australia is almost as bad paying into a Nigerian scam. You can bet that they are going to try to do everything they legally can to weasel out of the contract in the event of a total loss claim!
I agree,
they will look for any reason to not pay the claim.
the way i see it,if a turbo/supercharger is fitted the only purpose for insurance is to guard against the car being stolen and never seen again.
(unless an engineers cert is obtained and the car is registered with it).
I know it's a different topic but if the modified car is not legally registered to run a turbo/supercharger then surely the insurance companies will not honor the claim on the basis that the car has an illegal mod.
Let me know if i'm wrong as i'm trying to figure out what i should do when i fit the sc.

When I got my NSX in 2005 I had just had a bad run of 4 radar infringements in 12 months. Nothing bad, not even any demerit points as the infringements were all for being less than 10kph over the limit - all on major, controlled highways no less.

But Shannons didn't want to know me when I told them about the infringements. Didn't matter that I hadn't had a bad accident in 15 years, and only 2 parking scrapes in the previous 5 years [when I was doing 30K km + a year in my job]. Nah, I was a high risk driver because of the infringements, would not have a bar of me! Just Car were about the only ones who would even discuss a premium with me, and the $2,288 they offered sounded pretty good by then. They have reduced the premium every year till it got down to the current amount after 4 years.

Just Car have also proved decent, as I found out when a kangaroo hopped out onto the highway right in front of me in 2006 [ALF Grand Final day no less]. Front bumper bar, bonnet, LHS fender and headlight, passenger door dent and mirror obliterated plus the windscreen. Luckily the 'roo skidded off the windscreen and flew off without damaging the roof or the rest of the car [I was doing the 100kph speed limit].

Just Car were quick off the mark, had given me a choice of repairers within a couple of days and didn't quibble an iota. Had to wait 2 months for Honda to deliver the LHS headlight support bracket. The repairer did a reasonable job on the repairs just letting themselves down on the paint work [though black can be a bastard] a little. The insurer didn't even increase my premium come renewal time! So, so far I'm happy. :biggrin:

...Just Car were quick off the mark, had given me a choice of repairers within a couple of days and didn't quibble an iota.... The insurer didn't even increase my premium come renewal time! So, so far I'm happy. :biggrin:
That is good to hear! I suppose hitting a roo would be classed as an at-fault accident as well considering they cannot claim it from the other's insurance! So that is very good to know!

So far, (touch wood.... :wink: ) I have no experience with Shannons in a claim situation.

I can report that Suncorp in Queensland were great (with my daily) when an out-of-towner in a 4WD changed lanes without looking and rammed me into a bridge support in my old Prelude! Unfortunately Suncorp wanted way too much when I moved to Sydney... My premium jumped from $1,200 in St Lucia, Brisbane to $9,865 for Kirribilli in Sydney!! :eek: Both garaged premises as well. Clearly they didn't want to go outside their core business of Queensland...

I agree,
they will look for any reason to not pay the claim.
the way i see it,if a turbo/supercharger is fitted the only purpose for insurance is to guard against the car being stolen and never seen again.
(unless an engineers cert is obtained and the car is registered with it).
I know it's a different topic but if the modified car is not legally registered to run a turbo/supercharger then surely the insurance companies will not honor the claim on the basis that the car has an illegal mod.
Let me know if i'm wrong as i'm trying to figure out what i should do when i fit the sc.

That is exactly correct.

However rules vary from State to State. What may be an illegal modification in Victoria may be legal in another state. Best to check what rules you need to satisify in Victoria if that is where your car is registered. At the very least you will be informed about the legal status of any modifications to your car if your pulled over for any reason. :wink:

Cheers Mike.
May look in to getting it engineered.
Shannons wont touch me after i got clocked doing 230kph on the eastern fwy(A momentary loss of judgment:frown:)but just cars were no problem.
Infact the operator seemed impressed.lol
Good to hear they have been honoring claims.

Drive safe:cool:

It seems that the amount of NSX's for sale are getting slimmer and slimmer.

Maybe we should start a thread for this spotted for sale?

Also what ever happened to the orange one that was on carsales for ever, did someone buy it?

Also what ever happened to the orange one that was on carsales for ever, did someone buy it?

The orange one did get sold and has since moved to Melbourne. In the end the young bloke who bought it paid a pretty fair price for it, especially compared to the original asking price.

The orange one did get sold and has since moved to Melbourne. In the end the young bloke who bought it paid a pretty fair price for it, especially compared to the original asking price.

Thanks for answering that question for me! I asked NeoNSX that question when I saw the pics he took of the last Melbourne get together but I never got an answer.... I suppose he's not that active on here anymore...

Is the new owner here on Prime?

Thanks for answering that question for me! I asked NeoNSX that question when I saw the pics he took of the last Melbourne get together but I never got an answer.... I suppose he's not that active on here anymore...

Is the new owner here on Prime?

The guy who owns the orange NSX is Eckers (Andrew). He is an active member on Prime, although I haven't seen too much of him recently. Neo lives just around the corner from me, so I've seen him a couple of times, but he is certainly not as active on Prime as he once was.

All the best,

David

Yeah, kinda really sucks for me... the period where i start selling my cars and looking for an NSX, there aren't any around! This is the least i've seen for sale in over 18 months. :mad:

Seen this one, Good price despite high ks http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-NS...-/190581710488?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2c5f8e1e98

I'd have a real close look though , I can see an ABS light on, Make a crazy offer !!
Saw it, but i'm not fond of the high km's, green, and auto... my least favourite combo actually, hehe. had a dark green civic coupe in my family for years, never ever liked the colour... also has no spare, no rwc... etc. could potentially be too troublesome. rather pay more for something else... and it has a few offers already, i'm sure they're already crazy low!

was that the orange with front end conversion? I saw it drop to $40k... if only i was ready i would have seriously considered it. only thing i didn't like was the "fully customised" everything of the car... rather have me a stocky that i can tweak myself.

Yeah, kinda really sucks for me... the period where i start selling my cars and looking for an NSX, there aren't any around! This is the least i've seen for sale in over 18 months. :mad:

Saw it, but i'm not fond of the high km's, green, and auto... my least favourite combo actually, hehe. had a dark green civic coupe in my family for years, never ever liked the colour... also has no spare, no rwc... etc. could potentially be too troublesome. rather pay more for something else... and it has a few offers already, i'm sure they're already crazy low!

was that the orange with front end conversion? I saw it drop to $40k... if only i was ready i would have seriously considered it. only thing i didn't like was the "fully customised" everything of the car... rather have me a stocky that i can tweak myself.

Yes, that was the orange one with the 2002 front. In fact I looked at it myself, although at that stage the asking price was much more than the end price, I was also ideally after a manual. The vehicle had some great gear on it, but as I am sure Eckers (Andrew) would agree, some things were a little over the top. Nevertheless, a lot of car for a reasonable price in the end.

Yes, that was the orange one with the 2002 front. In fact I looked at it myself, although at that stage the asking price was much more than the end price, I was also ideally after a manual. The vehicle had some great gear on it, but as I am sure Eckers (Andrew) would agree, some things were a little over the top. Nevertheless, a lot of car for a reasonable price in the end.
Yes definitely a lot of car for the price... looked like a huge head turner, but i personally want something more stock so i can lightly modify myself.

And is that your white NSX with the TE37's? I remember that being for sale last year or a while back... looked so HOT in the ad! White's my favourite colour :p

and down to 2 NSX's only on carsales... wow, are they going exinct? :eek:

Last edited:
Yes definitely a lot of car for the price... looked like a huge head turner, but i personally want something more stock so i can lightly modify myself.

And is that your white NSX with the TE37's? I remember that being for sale last year or a while back... looked so HOT in the ad! White's my favourite colour :p

and down to 2 NSX's only on carsales... wow, are they going exinct? :eek:

Yes, I purchased the white NSX in January 2010. As it turned out, I looked around for a good couple of years before coming across this one. It would also be fair to say, white was the last colour I had in mind, but this was by far the nicest car I had seen. In fact as soon as I looked at the car I loved it, nevertheless, it did take some time to agree on a fair and reasonable price, but we got there in the end. I don't know of too many other white NSX's in Australia, although there is at least one more in WA.

Hi Guys,
Been off the forum for a while, been spending time getting the track toy up and running, spent Monday at Winton testing. Happy with the results after many, many late nights and bleeding knuckles.
I agree that the car i picked up is a little over the top but cheap to tone down a little (just a little)!
Back a few posts; just want to say that several insurance companys will pay out a modified car (even not declared or illegal modification) if that part did not cause the incident. Obviously they won't replace all parts undeclared. Just Cars is one, i had a mate request it in writing and it was recieved. Chase up the details before taking out a policy or renewing one.
And thanks MLCNsx for the "young bloke" comment, i am starting to stress over turning 40 next year!

Hi Guys,
Been off the forum for a while, been spending time getting the track toy up and running, spent Monday at Winton testing. Happy with the results after many, many late nights and bleeding knuckles.
I agree that the car i picked up is a little over the top but cheap to tone down a little (just a little)!
Back a few posts; just want to say that several insurance companys will pay out a modified car (even not declared or illegal modification) if that part did not cause the incident. Obviously they won't replace all parts undeclared. Just Cars is one, i had a mate request it in writing and it was recieved. Chase up the details before taking out a policy or renewing one.
And thanks MLCNsx for the "young bloke" comment, i am starting to stress over turning 40 next year!

G'day Eckers,

You shouldn't have owned up to that, I had you pinned as being late twenties possibly early thirties - tops!!!

All the best,

David

Did you buy it from Sydney?

No, I purchased the car from WA, although the car was initially purchased in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Melbourne</st1:place></st1:City> from John Blair Honda. With the exception of the two years or so it was based in WA, it has spent the remainder of its years based in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Victoria</st1:place></st1:State>. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Way overpriced compared to what's been on in the past months. It'll sit there with the price coming down for months.

I think you will find the ones that have been sitting there over a long period of time have been automatics. There haven't been too many manuals sitting around for extended periods of time, nevertheless, you are right in saying that's is still a bit over the odds!

Back