• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Beginning of a new chapter....just bought an NSX!

Wow so yeah it's been YEARS since I've done the message board thing. However, I've met some some incredible people from it, gained tons of knowledge, and had some crazy experiences along the way. So here it goes!

I'm Steven. Canadian living in Upstate South Carolina. As of two months ago, I said goodbye to my 1994 300ZX. Shaquita was my love. 12 years of my life. Blood, sweat, tears, curse words, two magazine features, way too much bourbon....we had a good time! A long conversation with a very close friend, and an offer I could not refuse, led to me parting ways. She's in good hands.

Anyone who knows me knows the achievable goal, and dream in life, was to own an NSX. Since I was young, I constantly asked myself how in the world does one afford an NSX? There was no way I would ever own one. It would be an endless dream. One that consumes my life. I seriously could not stop thinking about it. Researching their heritage, engineering, and influence in the automotive world.

12 years with Shaquita, and 10 years in the automotive industry finally brought me to the opportunity of a life time. And it's still surreal.

As of two months ago, I made my dreams come true and purchased a '91 Formula Red NSX. Clean title. Cared for by the same 2nd owner since '93. 6 months of trying to find one that met my criteria; this wasn't as easy of a task as I anticipated. But the hard work was worth it.

I call her Barbara.

And she shows 26 years of age. Leather on the seats and steering wheel are rough. Years of maintenance and various modifications have led to neglect throughout the car. But no check engine, maintenance up-kept, runs and drives like an NSX should, and the body looks fantastic.

Eager to learn more about these cars. From building my Z for so many years, I'm also eager to find out who the "local" venders are providing specialized parts for these cars.

In two months, I've restored the interior with new leather, freshly dyed the carpet, new steering wheel and mount system, Tein coilovers, new wheels and tires, and some maintenance along the way.
Barbara has no idea what's coming!

Cheers!

Bamafan, I'll have to hit you up sometime.

Robbiedawg, I'll check out the thread! I appreciate it!

I'll get pics up soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats and welcome to nsx ownership! im a fairly new owner too (got my 95 earlier this year) and i have to say this forum is THE MOST helpful forum ive ever experienced. like you, ive been on a lot of forums too... from multiple honda/acura ones, audizine, e90post, ft86club and ct200h/clublexus. prime is the best.

Barbara is a great name. Its my moms name.

Congrats Steven! I can relate to your story. I have even more years in a 300ZX (1991 TT) as my DD since 1994. Unfortunately, I’m going to have to find an economical DD replacement soon (Fit?); it needs lots of work.

I too was consumed with the NSX for many years and thought about it all the time (still do). There were so many ups and downs over the years – many times going through the “it’s the only car I really want” followed by, “I can’t/shouldn’t do it”! The NSX had a hold on me that just wouldn’t let go! I finally realized my dream in March of this year. It’s been great – always looking forward to the next drive!

Last edited:
Were you at the C&C a couple of months ago?? I briefly spoke with someone that had a red NSX that day. All the best!

Meet Barbara. This is when I got her in May.

06461e101c82f1f3c464f6c19e595f5d.jpg

f3b43d61beca9cfb4dcd1577617f9c4b.jpg

a670f02b99d89d6a2a726f063741af6c.jpg

3ffda2008eef12430d3b529a5cb5ae6d.jpg

She will be a beauty queen once again.

10fbf65ea4b7c2471a3ec571fc0663a0.jpg

1a615f0622848fec6c6028539fd55eac.jpg

cec84bcb6900baa3df32ae53db50cfbe.jpg

0b3af47ddeff9d6eb0e6ba57d026c552.jpg

675c6823e937c721aedbdbf459be8887.jpg

cbe9b651e07482c6b29c6f8319da89cc.jpg

64b4700284c4ab207b47cef7aa3f46f1.jpg

Off to a fun start! Gotta adjust the height and get an alignment. Next will be to tackle some small finicky issues.

Love the set up now. It is crazy to think how much refreshing the interior can do. Just the upgraded leather changes the whole look.

Are the wheels TE37 reps?

Yeah, just a basic set of TE reps for now to replace the oh-so-era-specific Motegi wheels that came on the car.

My Z went through 9 sets of wheels; I have a huge passion for aftermarket wheels. So once I've got the NSX to my liking, Barbara will end up getting those Jimmy Choo's she wants.

Moderators please move this thread to "NSX Builds" as I get the feeling I'll be posting my updates in this thread.

Just have to say Window Motor World on eBay was top notch in rebuilding my driver-side window regulator last week. Shipped on Monday, and received it on Saturday. Wouldn't hesitate to use them when the time comes on the passenger side.

Man I want to say good luck. I love what you've done to Barbara. I don't know how long you've had her but huge improvements. She has a great owner.

Thanks guy! I've had her two months now. I learned a lot from my last build, so this build will be a lot smoother.

BTW, Tein Flex Z coilovers ride fantastic. Quite satisfied with my decision.

Great looking car as mine is the same, red with black top 91. I agree with others that I'm always looking forward to the next drive. In my opinion the interior with the flip up steering wheel is a great idea. Leather seats are great for cruising but on the track a full bucket really makes you feel part of the car and enhances the thrill of driving an NSX. New shocks and springs, oh hell yes if your area has good roads. I have 10kg front and 12kg rears with 16 and 17 inch wheels. Standard brakes are good enough for slow circuits but for fast ones like Suzuka you will be without brakes in 3 laps. Yes it happened to me which quite at shock at the end of Suzukas main straight. I changed to Endless CCRG pads and have had no problems with many laps of hard braking. Hope you have enough time to have fun drives of Barbara as I have with my car Max.

Very nice interior refresh.

Hi Barbara! You sure look cute with your new duds. :)

Seriously, congrats, mclarenf1kid, and you've done a great refresh of your car. Enjoy in good health!

Back