• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boostzilla!!!

Interesting.

Could be problems with trademarks/copyrights though....

A friend of mine produced a FireWire hub in the shape of...

FireDino.jpg

He called it HubZilla. Or I should say he tried to call it HubZilla.

Within a few weeks he got a nastygram from owners (Toho) of the Godzilla trademark and they had to change the product name to FireWire Dino.

And in this case the infringement is more obvious and direct (i.e. artwork, etc). There's some other potential infringements there too.

-Jim

Jimbo said:
Interesting.

FireDino.jpg

Within a few weeks he got a nastygram from owners (Toho) of the Godzilla trademark and they had to change the product name to FireWire Dino.

And in this case the infringement is more obvious and direct (i.e. artwork, etc). There's some other potential infringements there too.

-Jim

You are right, but as long as it gets good power and does not blow up my NSX I will be happy with it no matter what it is called.

Interesting.

FireDino.jpg

-Jim

Well, you can blow up an engine with any forced induction system, be it a turbo or a supercharger.

Once you choose the basic air pump design and settle on the packaging design the real key can be found in the controls (i.e. fuel, timing, etc).

And it's in the controls, more than anything, that causes most catastrophic FI engine failures. It will be interesting to see how and what controls are used.

The ProCharger should have similar boost characteristics as the Paxton. The closed lube system (if it's reliable) might be a benefit. I'm not too keen about moving that big long column of air from one side of the engine to the other. I think the BBSC is a much more elegant solution (i.e. putting the blower next to the intake) in that regard.

The main advantage of the ProChargers was the intercoolers and in this BoostZilla product it's not yet evident how the intercooler will function.

-Jim

Jimbo said:
Well, you can blow up an engine with any forced induction system, be it a turbo or a supercharger.

Once you choose the basic air pump design and settle on the packaging design the real key can be found in the controls (i.e. fuel, timing, etc).

And it's in the controls, more than anything, that causes most catastrophic FI engine failures. It will be interesting to see how and what controls are used.

The ProCharger should have similar boost characteristics as the Paxton. The closed lube system (if it's reliable) might be a benefit. I'm not too keen about moving that big long column of air from one side of the engine to the other. I think the BBSC is a much more elegant solution (i.e. putting the blower next to the intake) in that regard.

The main advantage of the ProChargers was the intercoolers and in this BoostZilla product it's not yet evident how the intercooler will function.

-Jim

I think you are right about the tube deal, that will cause a little lag. I think it's worth it because it will get cold air, also intercooled boost is ALWAYS better then non-intercooled but I think you know that. I wonder what comptech is going to do...

Sure, colder air is always better.

But based on the limited info and the pics, I can tell you that long tube going across the engine can't help but to increase the air temps.

As an engineer, I see the potential for the cooler and denser intercooling and air temps on a system where the blower is located on the intake side (i.e. BBSC).

I guess we'll need more info and real data (i.e. intercooler temps, air temps, dyno runs, etc).

With regard to what Comptech might do, you should take a look at...

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/sc_cls6.html

They used the shaft technique ala the BBSC and I think that makes sense. They also have been using these screw-type pumps as well. Of course the S2000 uses a centrifugal unit. I think they're just trying to respond to the pricing issue.

-Jim

Jimbo said:
Sure, colder air is always better.

But based on the limited info and the pics, I can tell you that long tube going across the engine can't help but to increase the air temps.

As an engineer, I see the potential for the cooler and denser intercooling and air temps on a system where the blower is located on the intake side (i.e. BBSC).

I guess we'll need more info and real data (i.e. intercooler temps, air temps, dyno runs, etc).

Yep not enough data. I bet Comptech will be the best of them all though as far as having to screw around with it the least. They already had someone running what 420 RWHP or something like that. Also when I called comptech he said that should know something in a week and that was early this week. If someone does 400+ HP and 300+ TQ I will get it. :D

Perhaps. But with their current unit there's a fair amount of screwing around. It's a fairly invasive procedure to install.

I've also been put off by the noise of the Comptech blowers. I know they are better than they used to be, but I heard one a few weeks ago at Davis Acura and it sounded like crap. Sounded like there were marbles inside the blower. And this was a unit that was only about 6 months old. The noise abated when you came off idle, but I know that would drive me nuts in a few days.

To my way of thinking I want the most least obstrusive, quietest, stealthiest and most elegant mechanical design. For this reason, I like the simplicity of the BBSC blower design and the potential for thermodynamic benefits.

The issue of controls is one you must deal with on any of these units. Any of these companies, including Comptech, could be gone tomorrow, so I want a straightforward design that can be maintained by any good tech.

I haven't made a decision on supercharging my NSX yet. But nothing I've seen or heard yet has led me to think that the BBSC doesn't have the most potential.

-Jim

Originally posted by Jimbo

Perhaps. But with their current unit there's a fair amount of screwing around. It's a fairly invasive procedure to install.

******* I don't think it's as bad as the rest of them. Also the BBSC has that big arm deal going across and does not have a good intake for it as well as I think the computer needs some work, as well as Comptech. I don't see anything that uses logic to LEARN what is going on.

I've also been put off by the noise of the Comptech blowers. I know they are better than they used to be, but I heard one a few weeks ago at Davis Acura and it sounded like crap. Sounded like there were marbles inside the blower. And this was a unit that was only about 6 months old. The noise abated when you came off idle, but I know that would drive me nuts in a few days.

******* They do make some noise. From what comptech said they are doing the new charger because the company that made the old one is not making it any longer.

To my way of thinking I want the most least obstrusive, quietest, stealthiest and most elegant mechanical design. For this reason, I like the simplicity of the BBSC blower design and the potential for thermodynamic benefits.

******* I think the design is great; the execution is a whole different matter

The issue of controls is one you must deal with on any of these units. Any of these companies, including Comptech, could be gone tomorrow, so I want a straightforward design that can be maintained by any good tech.

******* 100% ture

I haven't made a decision on supercharging my NSX yet. But nothing I've seen or heard yet has led me to think that the BBSC doesn't have the most potential.

******* I would see what Dali and Comptech have to offer, I don't care who I go with I just want something with no oil spill, good support, and something I don't have to mess with every week. If I wanted that I would buy back my 1994 RX-7 with the motec compter and the rest of that crap. :D

-Jim

Just from years of Mustang experience, the Pro Charger is the way to go. The Pro Charger has always put more HP to the ground in both Intercooled and non intercooled applications over the Vortech and Paxton units on the Mustangs, Vetts, ect. The Pro Charger is very reliable, more so than the other 2 mentioned units.
The fact that the BoostZilla unit has been on a test car for a year and not rushed says something about Mark J. I think he has leaned from other peoples mistakes, then made the improvements necessary to get a reliable well working unit to the market place.
In regard to building heat due to a longer intake tube... Well, I agree that longer intake tube builds intake heat, the originating intake air is coming from outside air source (right fender well) like a cold air kit. That may be enough to offset the difference. It seems Boostzilla's brother has the intercooler issue resolved. I am sure with an intercooler in the mix, the long intake tube will make for a perfect match. As far as engine management is concerned, I have not had a chance to talk to Mark J about how he fixed the current FI management issues with the NSX. I will say this, I have purchased products from Mark for about 5 years now. He is professional and reasonable. I feel if he brings this product to the NSX community it will be ready to go with plenty of support and information, pre and post purchase. :)

Are we going to be able to purschase this unti directly from comptech also? or is it a DALI only product? Will other people, like SOS pick it up?

So there are 4 Boostzilla superchargers?

I'm curious. If the system has been studied so well, and is ready for sale, why then is there no price listed? Wouldn't I just be able to purchase it if every thing was ready to go? And where does the boost hit with this kit?

MORE importantly, I want to see MONGOzilla!

Re: the length of the piping between the supercharger and the intake... I wouldn't worry about this too much, it's unlikely to have any noticeable impact except on paper for the engineer-types :).

When you consider all the fast turbo setup's out there (Supra's, Eclipse's, etc etc etc) you'll almost always find a front-mount intercooler on the car. Consider the amount of piping it takes to go from the turbo to the IC in front of the radiator, then back into the engine compartment to the throttle body...

The Bell TT kit (which I have) has extremely long lengths of piping between the turbo's and the throttle body.. Doesn't seem to be slowing me down :).

Marc
97 NSX TT

I agree with Marc/SpeedDemon. If all else is well designed, the length of tubes shown are not a significant concern. However, I'm interested to see how an intercooler fits in.

Too bad he didn't do a turbo though, I'm pretty bored with SC offerings. An SC makes sense on a big-bore/long stroke engine that already has gobs of wheel-spinning low-end torque, but turbos better suit a small high revving engine that relies on a modest but broad torque curve. It comes down to combining systems that compliment one another rather than accentuating existing traits.

VERY nice stuff.
If you can start of with the baby, and then in time go up to the more HP ones, it will be very interesting.
Don't know what it will do in dollars though....

Way to go MJ!

Mich

Back