• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boostzilla!!!

The major delays seem to be due to big problems getting the components parts fabricated correctly - i.e. as per the one-off samples delivered in the first place (as specified in the 'NEWS' box on the main Boostzilla page here). While waiting for that to get sorted MJ commenced R&D on the Big Johnson and this currently has his attention.

I daresay when supply issues on Boostzilla components are resolved we will see more news on this from Dali.

The good news is that (as far as I can ascertain) the Big Johnson is a core component of the Mongozilla kit, which many in this thread have expressed an interest in, so thankfully MJ is not just twiddling his thumbs in the meantime, but is busy working on stuff that there is a demand for.

I don't think that the "*zilla" supercharger systems will be hitting the streets anytime soon. I'm not in a position to comment too much about it, but at this time, I do believe that launch of this setup has been halted. There is still currently only one car that has this system installed.

I'm just looking forward to more information & details about the "Big Johnson" line of 3.3L motor rebuilds*** ctrlaltdelboy, what have you heard / is your knowledge on these big disp. kits ??

Regarding the 3.3 motor I have had some info and pics from Mark by email as the project has moved along - Mark is working on having 2 versions available - one high comp for NA with ITBs as an option, the other low comp for FI, either as part of a 'zilla package or stand-alone for customers to throw other FI systems at.

don't have any more than that at present.

If a *zilla system is launched, it will not likely be the setup that has been discussed in the past. From my understanding of it, that specific setup's launch has been "postponed indefinitely".

Just thought I'd post this up as it seems as though some are still waiting for it. Based on what I've been told, it's not happening in the foreseeable future.

Think about when the ZILLA prototype was introduced.

What was the other popular supercharger at the time, which was also being introduced to the NSX community?

I call it “industrial sabotage”……which did not work.

AndyVecsey said:
Think about when the ZILLA prototype was introduced.

What was the other popular supercharger at the time, which was also being introduced to the NSX community?

I call it “industrial sabotage”……which did not work.

I wasn't around at the time. What does this "industrial sabotage" refer to?

I think the Boostzilla SC was a very nice setup. Definitely less moving parts than the BBSC. The layout, I feel allows more options for intercooling. I was really hoping to see it make it to production.

What does this "industrial sabotage" refer to?

When one business entity attempts to undermine another business entity. In this situation, it was a case of "Hey everyone, no need to look at that supercharger, look at this supercharger." The ploy might have worked briefly, but I don't see any boostzillas running around. Of course this is just my not-so-humble opinion. Shortly after boostzilla was debuted in Dallas at a regional NSteXpo, I called the guy who did the packaging of the system for some questions.....he never returned my call.

CDX_NSX said:
I wasn't around at the time. What does this "industrial sabotage" refer to?
When Mark Johnson first introduced his fantasy supercharger 2 years ago, he created a lot of graphical materials which include similar logos making fun of BBSC and SOS and made a lot of claims on how superior his superchargers were compared with the BBSC. When you have nothing to sell, but falsely claim that a cheaper and much better product is coming soon, it surely undermined your competitor in and and will deter potential buyers from buying the competitor's products. That also hurts the customers by giving them false hopes and they just wait and wait but nothing happens. At the time of its announcement, I was shopping for a supercharger. I too was attracted to all these false claims. Not that I will ever buy anything from Mark Johnson, but it did make me pause and look. So unless MJ can build and sell the Boostzilla to the NSX community with the claimed specs ,prices, and superiority, the Boostzilla is nothing but a big fat cheap talk. People and make all kinds of excuses for MJ with this part and that bug. I see the Boostzilla as one of those $29.95 gadget you see on TV that claims to increase your car's power and fuel economy.
Steve

I think the term is vaporware or even brochureware

It causes competitors to discontinue their efforts with similar products as they have been "beaten to market"

When IBM was on top of the PC market it could destroy whole companies by marketing vaporware or stating they are replacing some important technology (that a competitor has mastered well) with something a lot better/cheaper. The competitor would go out of business because nobody in their right mind would invest or buy their products....when IBM has something better on the way.

Never would happen and IBM would say "I'm sorry--didn't work out" and continue making a killing selling the same old crap.

I use such stuff internally in my large organization to kill off my competitors too. Mix in some truth and it is a VERY effective means to stay on top and call the shots. Such tactics don't last forever on their own, so you must produce good results now and then...

Drew
/Hoping this is NOT the case with the Boostzilla.

Last edited:
i had heard the same thing regarding the "vaporware" purpose of the SC. I also was excited to hear about the boostzilla, as i had not yet made my choice... but when i found out what all the hype was for, i pretty quickly made my choice...

Well, from what I understand of it, the primary contributing factor to the halting of this SCs launch was in cost/quality controls. There were other factors, but those were primary.

well, there seems to be a bit more to the story than just a manufacturing issue. from speaking directly with the devloper, it stems much deeper than that. based on the info that myself and some others have acquired, it is very unlikely that the kit will make the market in its current form. at least without some ramifications from a legal perspective. it all seems to be based on the same underlying problems that mark has with a large population of this community.

Indeed, there is more to the story; but yes, this kit will not likely make it to market anytime soon.

I had caught glimpses of this thread earlier, but decided to post this info up as it seemed that people were still expecting it to hit the streets. Hopefully, we've got that out of the way. :)

drew said:
I think the term is vaporware or even brochureware

It causes competitors to discontinue their efforts with similar products as they have been "beaten to market"

When IBM was on top of the PC market it could destroy whole companies by marketing vaporware or stating they are replacing some important technology (that a competitor has mastered well) with something a lot better/cheaper. The competitor would go out of business because nobody in their right mind would invest or buy their products....when IBM has something better on the way.

Never would happen and IBM would say "I'm sorry--didn't work out" and continue making a killing selling the same old crap.

I use such stuff internally in my large organization to kill off my competitors too. Mix in some truth and it is a VERY effective means to stay on top and call the shots. Such tactics don't last forever on their own, so you must produce good results now and then...

Drew
/Hoping this is NOT the case with the Boostzilla.

In the world of cut-throat corporate business, I cannot comment much about these vaporware tactics. But on Prime which is a small tight-knit, friendly community made up of friends and enthusiasts where almost everyone knows everybody, I really don't think the MJ's vaporware is ethical. Not only did this big hype Boostzilla undermine fellow FI vendors, it also betrayed the people who have been waiting for it, not to mention the trust from the community.
Steve

Back