• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boostzilla!!!

:confused: Please tell me that everyone is joking! Am I supposed to believe this? Or are you referring to the boostzilla as opposed to the e-ram?

AJKS said:
Just from years of Mustang experience, the Pro Charger is the way to go. The Pro Charger has always put more HP to the ground in both Intercooled and non intercooled applications over the Vortech and Paxton units on the Mustangs, Vetts, ect. The Pro Charger is very reliable, more so than the other 2 mentioned units.
The fact that the BoostZilla unit has been on a test car for a year and not rushed says something about Mark J. I think he has leaned from other peoples mistakes, then made the improvements necessary to get a reliable well working unit to the market place.

To me, the dyno plot looks very similar between BBSC and Boostzilla. I think the biggest deciding factor would be $$$.

SpeedDemon said:
Re: the length of the piping between the supercharger and the intake... I wouldn't worry about this too much, it's unlikely to have any noticeable impact except on paper for the engineer-types :).

When you consider all the fast turbo setup's out there (Supra's, Eclipse's, etc etc etc) you'll almost always find a front-mount intercooler on the car. Consider the amount of piping it takes to go from the turbo to the IC in front of the radiator, then back into the engine compartment to the throttle body...

The Bell TT kit (which I have) has extremely long lengths of piping between the turbo's and the throttle body.. Doesn't seem to be slowing me down :).

Marc
97 NSX TT

Marc,

Your observations are dead on! I'm not sure where this notion of longer pipes=more heat came from, but that is wrong also. Ambient air temp in engine bays is around 80-170 degrees depending on the day. Charged air temps are 180-300 depending on the application. The longer the pipe, the more time the charge actually has to cool. Now, this cooling really is moot, but to say it heats up more is absurd. Also, air is moving at ~300-400 MPH out of the compressor depending on pipe size and CFM. That's ~645 ft per second. As you rightly mentioned, many big power turbo cars, yours included, use long pipes without any problem-- that's why. The volume of the pipe is negliable. People often think that because their engine is 3L, that 3L of pipe will be bad... of course the 3 liters of piping doesn't need more air 100 times per second like your engine.

This Boostzilla kit really is done right!

Alternative HP

If I owned an NSX and was looking for the 400 HP kick in the pants, there's no other alternative.

Uh, yes there is.

Hang Tight

I want to know price.

Why? :p

BBSC vs Boostzilla

I had a little time to kill... so here is the BBSC DYNO from baschboost.com and the DYNO from Boostzilla.

I don't know the setup of the boostzilla car other than its a 3.0 L.

mygraph.jpg

Note: This is not perfect by any means.. but it gives you an idea..

They do look similar... just more power with the Boostzilla.

Re: BBSC vs Boostzilla

NetViper said:
I had a little time to kill... so here is the BBSC DYNO from baschboost.com and the DYNO from Boostzilla.

They do look similar.

Let's also see what comptech does, so far I heard 410hp the the wheels. Who nose, I guess I am on the bench again with the NSX and FI. May get a EVO to mess with and see what the NSX does in 6 MORE months.

CTSC vs Boostzilla vs BBSC

Yet another ROUGH graph... dyno for comptech is off thier site and done on a 2000 NSX.

mygraphc.jpg

I thought boostzilla was going to make a lot more low end tq?? From the crappy graph... looks like it doesnt make much more than BBSC.

I think comparing the dyno numbers or graphs from the manufacturer sites is simply bad information. They are not even using the same TYPE of dyno machines, much less the same machine. Further, there is no control for what other mods are on the car, and no baseline dyno for any of the cars.

I understand that everybody wants to compare all these systems, but the margin of error doing it this way is greater than the difference between the graphs being compared.

A same day, same dyno shootout like the one compiled by Eric from last year's nstexpo is a much more reasonable method (though it still did not account for baseline variations).

How about throwing a turbo in there...

Here is Cybernations car. 423HP 323 TQ.. I think it is a 97+.

mygraphct.jpg

Lud said:
I think comparing the dyno numbers or graphs from the manufacturer sites is simply bad information. They are not even using the same TYPE of dyno machines, much less the same machine. Further, there is no control for what other mods are on the car, and no baseline dyno for any of the cars.

I understand that everybody wants to compare all these systems, but the margin of error doing it this way is greater than the difference between the graphs being compared.

Well, you are right lud.. but I thought it would be fun. I mean.. when are we going to see these 3 cars tested on the same machine, same time, same day..... not anytime soon.... at least it gives us an idea..

Do you still have the PDF from eric?? I would love a copy.

Re: BBSC vs Boostzilla

NetViper said:
If I recall correctly, it has RM headers and RM exhaust. Other than that, I don't know.
Originally posted by sjs
However, I'm interested to see how an intercooler fits in.
Chris mentioned that the intercooler will be located to the left of the engine on the production Boostzilla system. The coolant tank (and some other stuff) will be relocated to accomplish this.

I think comparing the dyno numbers or graphs from the manufacturer sites is simply bad information.

It is not necessarily bad...just not ideal. To glean any kind of real information a much more scientific approach is needed. But with that process absent, you "do what you gotta do." Still, the information is useful.

Is anyone going to put togethe the results of this years DYNO day at NSTeXpo? That would be useful.

Lud said:
How, if the margin of error is probably greater than the difference between most of the systems, is the information useful in any way?

Maybe the margin of error isn't as much as you think? Maybe it is? Who knows? The benefits of a simple comparison of their published hp numbers is obvious. Especially to those searching for the best system according to their needs and wants.

1. It shows them generally how each SC version stacks up.
2. Based on the above, and price, they can determine which is the better SC for them.

Pretty obvious.

I think most people on this board with any real NSX FI experience would disagree with that.
Without commenting on anyone's level of experience... Chris did mention that he has had various interations of this SC system on his car for 2 years.

NetViper said:
Is anyone going to put togethe the results of this years DYNO day at NSTeXpo? That would be useful.
The shop did mention that they normally leave the files on the computer for a few months. If someone in Dallas area can get the files off of the computer and email them to me, I would be more than happy to compile the results into Word, PDF, and HTML documents. Anyone?

Ponyboy said:
Maybe the margin of error isn't as much as you think? Maybe it is? Who knows? The benefits of a simple comparison of their published hp numbers is obvious. Especially to those searching for the best system according to their needs and wants.

1. It shows them generally how each SC version stacks up.
2. Based on the above, and price, they can determine which is the better SC for them.

Pretty obvious.

Again, you are assuming the numbers happen to be comparable, when it is pretty unlikely that is the case, particularly when the cars in question vary in their other modifications and even engine type (some are 3.0L, some are 3.2L) and are done on different types of dynos that calculate HP differently.

It is common to see a decent variation just between stock NSXs. It is common to see some variation between the same car on different dynos of the same type. It is common to see a considerable variation between the same car on two different types of dynos. Plus of course all things being equal the 3.2L car is going to make a little more power than a 3.0L car. Considering all that, and looking at how close some of the graphs are, I think it's a lot more likely the margin of error is greater than the variation rather than smaller.

Even if you had the same engine type and the same general set of mods on each car, you still have different dyno types. A blind comparison like this would penalize manufactuers who use the most accurate dynos and reward manufacturers who use more "optimistic" dyno types. That is why it is critical to measure them all on the same dyno if you are going to have any real basis for comparison.

If someone can compile the results from all the cars at nstexpo (like Eric did last year), with all the cars on the same dyno the same day and the engine type and other mods noted, the number of large variables would be more manageable and we might actually be able to get a feel for how they stack up.

Of course that's just my opinion. Folks can judge or compare things based on whatever they want!

Before I left the dyno, I located a floppy and gave it to the lady running the printouts; she said she would put the information on it and give it to someone - anyone know who got it? We left before she was done...

Comparing apples to oranges

I agree with you in principle Lud, but then again, many of us want to know the area under the curve, and these comparisons are very useful in this situation. The fact that the two centrifugal SC's have very similar curves, especially compared to the single turbo system, says a lot. No, you cannot really quantify the differences, but you can categorize them.

Of course, to be fair, the Comptech's torque figures need to be graphed, not just the HP numbers.

Re: Comparing apples to oranges

ncdogdoc said:

Of course, to be fair, the Comptech's torque figures need to be graphed, not just the HP numbers.

Comptech does not post TQ figures on their site, but looking at the old dyno day data.. it looks like it is about 225TQ at 3k.. then 250 from 3500 all the way to 7500 and back to 250 at 8K. Very very flat.

Back