• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Boostzilla!!!

matteni said:
Just curious where you are getting this information?
In a separate thread originally under the track section, the CTSC Gen2 beta reportedly achieved 410 RWHP. Since it's a PD blower, you can reasonably surmise the general shape of its TQ curve vis-a-vis a centrifugal. With all the competition in this niche space, things are starting to look pretty good for us consumers.

You are making the assumption that Comptech is willing to sell the new SC to the public. With all the competition, what would be their incentive to push a new product? Has anyone from Comptech anounced that they will be selling such a blower? If so, it would surprise me.

27.gif
Comptech will and they have already sold their “new” higher-power supercharger to the public. You have to remember that the market for something like that (i.e. a high-power FI system that requires low comp pistons and custom tuning) is very very small (the market just for "regular" NSX superchargers is pretty darn small to begin with).

A special high-power SC kit will not come to you by way of the UPS man in a cardboard box.
33.gif
So basically it isn’t a “kit”, and it will not be marketed widely. You wont see it advertised in glossy brochures and in the tuner magazines. If, on the other hand, you are willing to spend the $$$ and bring your car to them, Comptech, Basch, Jerry J., etc will build it for you!
57.gif

Juice said:
You are making the assumption that Comptech is willing to sell the new SC to the public. With all the competition, what would be their incentive to push a new product? Has anyone from Comptech anounced that they will be selling such a blower? If so, it would surprise me.

NSXTC said:

But if you are willing to spend the $$$, you should not be on this thread comparing the Boostzilla to anything that requires forking over BIG bucks, taking your car to a special shop, having LC pistons installed, etc. Your point just emphasized my point. Most people here seem to be comparing apples to oranges. From my limited understanding of what Comptech is working on, you will be paying around double for a slightly larger AUC. Though well engineered for sure, most of the guys interested in the Boostzilla probably aren't looking to spend what the new CTSC will cost. Nor do they need to.

Comptech has already semi-announced their intentions to produce a CTSC2. They responded to a question on their forum:

"We are working on an updated supercharger system that will use the Magnuson blower instead of the Whipple. It should be a less complex system and hopefully will result in a less expensive kit. But it is too soon to say for sure what the final specs or cost will be. We hope to be shipping the first kits in a couple of months."

Unfortunately, they removed their forum page last week.

Juice said:
What part of beta testing is conceptually problematic? They haven't offered it for sale because they're still testing it. Including track time at Laguna Seca. It is in development. Confirmed by Comptech. It obviously won't be for sale till its done. And this one is NOT to be confused with the custom work they do, as alluded to in an earlier post.

NSXTC said:
27.gif
Comptech will and they have already sold their “new” higher-power supercharger to the public. You have to remember that the market for something like that (i.e. a high-power FI system that requires low comp pistons and custom tuning) is very very small (the market just for "regular" NSX superchargers is pretty darn small to begin with).

A special high-power SC kit will not come to you by way of the UPS man in a cardboard box.
33.gif
So basically it isn’t a “kit”, and it will not be marketed widely. You wont see it advertised in glossy brochures and in the tuner magazines. If, on the other hand, you are willing to spend the $$$ and bring your car to them, Comptech, Basch, Jerry J., etc will build it for you!
57.gif

You are talking about the 12psi whipple. I looked at that the new NEW kit has a different charger different things.

Number9 said:
What part of beta testing is conceptually problematic? They haven't offered it for sale because they're still testing it. Including track time at Laguna Seca. It is in development. Confirmed by Comptech. It obviously won't be for sale till its done. And this one is NOT to be confused with the custom work they do, as alluded to in an earlier post.

I think comptech will test it right, they are not dumb and not going to let there rep go in the can by letting users test it and have to upgrade this and that. Look at what they have now just install it and goto the track, no blown motor, no oil spew, nothing. Well some say it has a little noise at low RPMs if you don't like that too bad. A little noise at low RPM is better then a blow motor, or a oil slick coming out the back. :D

Those that think CompTech is perfect don't remember the early days! I remember seeing (and driving) Doug's Flaimobile at NSXPo 98. Allthough it was impressive - it definately whent through a buggy period. The reason I recomend CompTech to many people is that after 6 years they have most of the bugs worked out. There are still a couple bugs in their customer service department but overall - not a bad deal for people that want as close to stock and are relatively insensitive to cost.

BTW - the average Whipple super kit on www.superchargersonline.com is about $3800 with the Hummer kit being the most expensive at $4300. Anyone who is waiting on CompTech to have an economical kit will be waiting a LONG time IMO.

Also - many people don't remember how few choices and the level of support we had with aftermarket NSX stuff before Mark J / Dali racing.

Allthough I don't sit around and toot Mark's horn he has revolutionized the aftermarket for the NSX and I for one am gratefull for his hard work.

If this Babyzilla hits for under $5k and has the install manuals, reliability, and the quality level I expect from Dali - we will all be saying - he did it again!

matteni said:
Those that think CompTech is perfect don't remember the early days! I remember seeing (and driving) Doug's Flaimobile at NSXPo 98. Allthough it was impressive - it definately whent through a buggy period. The reason I recomend CompTech to many people is that after 6 years they have most of the bugs worked out. There are still a couple bugs in their customer service department but overall - not a bad deal for people that want as close to stock and are relatively insensitive to cost.

BTW - the average Whipple super kit on www.superchargersonline.com is about $3800 with the Hummer kit being the most expensive at $4300. Anyone who is waiting on CompTech to have an economical kit will be waiting a LONG time IMO.

Also - many people don't remember how few choices and the level of support we had with aftermarket NSX stuff before Mark J / Dali racing.

Allthough I don't sit around and toot Mark's horn he has revolutionized the aftermarket for the NSX and I for one am gratefull for his hard work.

If this Babyzilla hits for under $5k and has the install manuals, reliability, and the quality level I expect from Dali - we will all be saying - he did it again!

I would LOVE to get a base kit and every few months just add stuff like the inter cooler and up the boost, then the next step and next step. So 5,000 to get started and just add more stuff to it. :)

matteni said:
Those that think CompTech is perfect don't remember the early days! I remember seeing (and driving) Doug's Flaimobile at NSXPo 98.
I doubt anyone thinks that CT is perfect. But they and GruppeM had the chutzpah to offer the first Gen1 kits. Kudos to them.

Arguing about the beta Gen2 kits such as the Comptech roots blower, BBSC, and Boostzilla (other than fundamental design parameters, e.g., PD vs. centrifugal, RRFPR vs. standalone) is just hubris... Let's just test them when they're available.

First let me say thank you to both Marks for challenging comptech at their own game and knocking off a monopoly so us consumers have a choice. It's a great time to be buying an SC for your NSX.

Second to Mark J or anyone that wants to comment why did things with Mark B. go sour between you two?

No

Second to Mark J or anyone that wants to comment why did things with Mark B. go sour between you two?

This thread is *not* about MJ / MB.....it is about boostzilla.

Let's keep it as such, okay?

I know both Marks and I like both Marks and I buy stuff from both Marks - their business is their business, not ours.

Re: No

AndyVecsey said:

This thread is *not* about MJ / MB.....it is about boostzilla.

Let's keep it as such, okay?

I know both Marks and I like both Marks and I buy stuff from both Marks - their business is their business, not ours.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juice said:

I don't understand your logic. Why would Comptech NOT want to sell a more competitive product among the new competitions? That's what business is all about. Have a product that people will buy instead of someone else's. If Comptech decides that they don't want to stay competitive or phase out the NSX supercharger, that will be another story. I am patiently waiting for the new CTSC which hopefully will fit under the stock T-top cover and strut bar. Perhaps Comptech can come up with a SC that have major components that can be shared in other SC applications in Integra, S2000, and others so the cost can be lower than the current NSX SC.
Steve

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume comptech has A LOT more resouces at hand to develop a much better SC product than either marks do? I am not putting down either Marks kits here.. I think they rock.. but i am just saying I would think comptech would have way more resources for R&D and making a better product...

If they are indeed making 410 RWHP and they have the torque band of the current kit, this kit will be incredible.

NSXGOD said:
I think it would make a great logo!!:

zilla [botany] A low, thorny, suffrutescent, crucifeous plant (Zilla myagroides) found in the deserts of Egypt. Its leaves are boiled in water, and eaten, by the Arabs.

Source: Websters Dictionary

(01 Mar 1998)

I say move away from the reptillian theme and go with mammals. Something worthy of worship. Call it the Dali Llama!

-CiaoBoy

Attachments

• llama.jpg
    llama.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,450
NetViper said:
Is it safe to assume comptech has A LOT more resouces at hand to develop a much better SC product than either marks do? I am not putting down either Marks kits here.. I think they rock.. but i am just saying I would think comptech would have way more resources for R&D and making a better product...

If they are indeed making 410 RWHP and they have the torque band of the current kit, this kit will be incredible.

As was already well stated by Marc (as I recall) in an earlier post, this is not rocket science. There is certainly a lot of work in producing a kit with all the necessary brackets and bits n pieces to make it bolt in cleanly, but it is not by any means "cutting edge" technologically. Once the hardware is pulled together and proven reliable the fuel and ignition management are the key, and like the original CTSC (which required significantly more mechanical R&D due to the change of intake manifold) this new system relies on a simple FMU and the OEM computer to do the rest. So in fact, that becomes the simplest part of all, and the total kit is no more complex than one for a Chevy.

Personally, I'm still very concerned about approaching 400 RWHP with stock timing no matter what results have been seen in testing. The old 6lb CTSC gets away with no timing mods but doesn't approach that output. Can it be done? Possibly, with consistently good fuel and I suspect a mixture that is richer than ideal, but I'd be nervous about such a package at the track where it is under load for longer periods than seen on the street. At a minimum I would want an intercooler at those HP levels if no timing adjustment is incorporated, but preferably both. The old Bell kit included a change to the ECU to retard 6 degrees/1k RPM from 5k (if memory serves). Not ideal and left some power behind, but safe. I’d rather build in a safety margin by using less timing advance rather than more fuel (richer) if I had to choose just one.

Needless to say, just my opinion and not intended to bash any of the kits, but an open exchange of ideas and information is what this forum is all about.

CiaoBoy said:
I say move away from the reptillian theme and go with mammals. Something worthy of worship. Call it the Dali Llama!

-CiaoBoy

ROTFLMAO:D

I will have to admit the lizard fits the bill bettter.

Don't want to mess with religion, God or Richard Gere:eek: (although he might lend one of his hamsters to run an extra wheel for another 5-10 hp:rolleyes: )

Juice said:
With all the competition, what would be their incentive to push a new product?
Uh, how about profit!

Timing Retard

Once the hardware is pulled together and proven reliable the fuel and ignition management are the key.....

ECU to retard 6 degrees/1k RPM from 5k

Steve - you are right on the money.....hardware is "simple" but the maps are *critical*. (Where did I hear the saying, "The devil is in the details.") Couple of thoughts (a) assuming A-F ratio can be properly controlled with a mechanical fuel control device (with a high-volume / high-pressure pump in the tank) can the factory ECU adequately control timing? (b) regarding your "six degrees" comment, do you mean:

5000 RPM - 6°
6000 RPM - 12°
7000 RPM - 18°
8000 RPM - 24°

or

6000 RPM - 6°
7000 RPM - 12°
8000 RPM - 18°

And I agree with you, I'd rather leave some HP on the table and be safe, but the above degrees of timing retard seem a bit much. Than again, we are talking about a somewhat modest (8-10-12 PSI) levels of boost.

I like this - good TECHNICAL stuff.

Re: Timing Retard

AndyVecsey said:
Once the hardware is pulled together and proven reliable the fuel and ignition management are the key.....

ECU to retard 6 degrees/1k RPM from 5k

Steve - you are right on the money.....hardware is "simple" but the maps are *critical*. (Where did I hear the saying, "The devil is in the details.") Couple of thoughts (a) assuming A-F ratio can be properly controlled with a mechanical fuel control device (with a high-volume / high-pressure pump in the tank) can the factory ECU adequately control timing? (b) regarding your "six degrees" comment, do you mean:

5000 RPM - 6°
6000 RPM - 12°
7000 RPM - 18°
8000 RPM - 24°

or

6000 RPM - 6°
7000 RPM - 12°
8000 RPM - 18°

And I agree with you, I'd rather leave some HP on the table and be safe, but the above degrees of timing retard seem a bit much. Than again, we are talking about a somewhat modest (8-10-12 PSI) levels of boost.

I like this - good TECHNICAL stuff.

This would seem wrong because you are not always under boost. The systems I have seen Retarded timing depending on boost levels. MSD makes a BTM (boost timing management) that I used on my 9lb boosted integra. But I don't see how it could be used on the NSX with seperate coil packs. Maybe the turbo kit used something similiar.

Back