• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can I ask you all a personal question?

Hi there,
I've been reading this message board tonight, and you guys seem like really nice people. I have a question for you all, if you don't mind me asking.
The question is this: How old are you all? What do you guys do for a living? You all seem very well off.
I am just asking because I was curious to know what age is the most appropriate for a car like this, and what type of people/professionals this car attracts.
I, for one, am 21 years old, and I am entering med school at Univ. of AL School of Medicine next fall, which leads me to ask,"do you all think that it is appropriate for a 21 year old to drive an NSX?" I'm trying to convince my parents that I deserve a reward for getting accepted to med school, and I would really like to buy, or at least lease, an Acura NSX, preferably a 97; however, they think that it would be inappropriate for me to get such an exotic car. They want to get me a new Accord or something common like that.
Anyways, thanks in advance for the response. -Thomas

Everyone on this board is very nice indeed. People on this board have class, something that is lacking from many other forums. And yes it is appropriate for someone your age to drive a car like this, as long as you respect it. I just turned 22, I work full time as a software engineer, and go to school full time also. As far as parents are concerned, I bought mine, and then told my parents about it. Independance is a beautiful thing.

I, for one, am 21 years old, and I am entering med school at Univ. of AL School of Medicine next fall, which leads me to ask,"do you all think that it is appropriate for a 21 year old to drive an NSX?"

I think you've got to sort out your own priorities, which is something that no one else can do for you. Here's some insight into the decisions I made for myself. With the benefit of twenty-some years of hindsight since being 21, I'm glad I did things the way I did. I had a few other, higher priorities before getting my NSX. I wanted to build up some savings and investments first, some on a tax-deferred basis (maxing out 401k opportunities, for example). And I wanted to be able to afford a house before getting an expensive sports car. So I waited on the NSX until those other goals were satisfied. I bought a new CRX for around $9000 in the mid-eighties and took that to the track. I can assure you that it was every bit as much fun as the NSX that I finally bought in late 1990. And I probably appreciate my NSX much more now than I would have had I had it at a younger age.

they think that it would be inappropriate for me to get such an exotic car. They want to get me a new Accord or something common like that.

Oh yes, the "sensible car" argument. This doesn't always have to do with having an exotic (expensive) car; some parents think you should have something more "practical" than a sports car. And, of course, if you often have four people in your car, an Accord is more practical (as an only car) than an NSX.

All of this is VERY common. Just to give you some insight into the whole "dealing with parents" thing, I'm going to conduct an imaginary survey of those on the forums. It consists of conjecture on my part but I would be very surprised if it weren't true.

Q: How many of you here have had one or more parents tell you that you should get a car that's "sensible" (less expensive, less performance, more practical, etc) than a sports car?

A: Ah, I see most of you have your hands up. Interesting. Those who have your hands up and are at least 35 years old, please keep them up as we proceed to the next question.

Q: If your parents have since realized that the NSX you now own isn't a reflection of any lack of sense on your own part, but is merely a matter of you "doing your own thing" by spending time on a hobby and activity which you enjoy, please lower your hands.

A: Aha! I see that all the hands are down. Very interesting.

Now, let's go back to those whose parent(s) NEVER told them to get a "sensible" car. Please raise your hands once again.

Q: For those with your hands up, put your hand down if one or more of your parents is/was an automotive enthusiast and/or an owner of a sports car or high-performance car.

A: I see that just about all of you put your hands down. Also interesting.

All of this is just intended to show that many of us (myself included) have gone through some of the same things that you are now facing. You're 21, and that's old enough to decide on your own priorities and make your own decisions, taking into account the advice you receive from parents, friends, and colleagues. If and when you actually get that NSX, polish it up and park it in front of your parents' house on a nice day. Take them for a ride and drive very NON-aggressively. And they'll appreciate what it means to you - either then, or some time later. Just like mine eventually did.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I think you've got to sort out your own priorities, which is something that no one else can do for you. .... higher priorities before getting my NSX. ... (maxing out 401k opportunities, for example). And I wanted to be able to afford a house before getting an expensive sports car. So I waited on the NSX until those other goals were satisfied. .....

It's amazing your trail is the same as mine. I made the same decisions and couldn't have said it better.

... If and when you actually get that NSX, polish it up and park it in front of your parents' house on a nice day. Take them for a ride and drive very NON-aggressively.

Unless your father was a fighter pilot, loves sports cars, thinks BMWs rule and still drives like a bat out hell at age 70 in his 3 series. Then you better get either a SC or NOS system installed before the ride.
biggrin.gif

So I'm not 21 but 43 going on 44 and picked up my NSX 2 years ago. Here's what happened and what people say now, so it never ends my friend.

I decided after getting a rather large bonus check that it was time for me to get the toy I've always wanted since I was 21. When I told my wife she said don't you think you should get something more appropriate? Are you having a mid-life crisis? (I've heard that from a lot of people). The answer: this is appropriate because I've been working my ass off for 20 years. I've always wanted an exotic and if I don't get it now then I'll end up to old to enjoy it. So in a way it is a mid-life crisis, I needed to get my toy soon.

After a year of owning my NSX my wife turned to me one day and said you know this is fun. Within the next month she picked up a new MB SLK320 (the NSX scared her). Now she says it's amazing how driving home with the top down makes all the stress from her job go away. She never enjoyed driving until now. BTW she drives 70 miles each way to work. That's a lot of miles!!!

So now our families and friends say "you mean you both have 2 seaters?" to which we happily reply "YES". Then the very next question is "What do you do when people come to visit?" to which we say I think there's car rental companies at the airport
smile.gif

Our next step is to sell the 5 bedroom house (since we won't have any kids at home next year) and move to 2 a bedroom villa with a casita for my office and obviously a 3 car garage so there’s plenty of room to play with the mistress.

BTW when do you take time to enjoy life outside of work? Being a doctor you better find an outlet to relieve stress or the odds are you're going to be a mess by the time your 40! The only question will be attending med school is going to take a lot of your time. When will you have time for the NSX?

------------------
Hal Jones
Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

I thought I would add my two cents as my NSX dream started in high school and became reality ten years later.

I personally wouldn't want to be given a car like the NSX. The real joy for me was finally being able to afford my dream car. It was a VERY proud moment the day I drove my brand new NSX-T away from the dealership. Additionally, the NSX was the first car I ever bought (my previous two cars were both owned by my mom before me). You can't imagine how much satisfaction I have when I tell people that the NSX is my first new car.

Like Mr. Jones, I didn't buy my car until after I got a big bonus...or rather a few years of them. I waited to graduate college, waited to get married, waited for steady income / employment, and waited to become a homeowner. And then I worked my a$$ off and earned bonuses which allowed me to make such a purchase without sacrificing my long term income goals. Whenever I drive my NSX, I quickly forget how much time I spent slaving away at the office.

But I'm still spending a lot of time at the office...only drove my NSX 7,250 miles in my first year of ownership. I guess that's the catch about getting one when you're young. Yes, you're young enough to enjoy it...but with no time to do so
wink.gif

As for my parents, when my mom learned that I was thinking about buying my NSX, she was totally against it...even though I was 27 at the time. She didn't like the idea of me driving such a conspicuous car...fearing that I might be the victim of a carjacking or some other crime. She didn't like the idea of me driving around in a "race car" and hopes that I never take it to the track. But she's a mom...so by definition she has to worry, right?

But you might find it amusing that once I brought my NSX by her home, she stopped complaining about my purchase. Funny thing is that she LOVES the fact that I picked red (she figures that since it is SO conspicuous that people won't bump into me like they do with her dark green Camry). And I know she LOVES telling people about my car.

My dad was incredibly supportive from the beginning (yes, he is into sports cars and once owned roadsters before becoming more "practical" in his old age). I made the mistake of letting him drive my NSX once...never again!

As for whether it is appropriate for you, only YOU can answer that. From meeting other NSXers, I haven't been able to identify a specific type, age, profession...we're a great blend of personalities and interests...and I've been getting as much enjoyment out of meeting other NSXers as I have had driving my car (I certainly spend more time in these Forums than I do in my car). Some were given theirs, others earned them. As long as they respect the NSX, it is appropriate for them to own one...at least in my mind.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

On a more trivial note, I'd hate to have an NSX as a daily driver if I had to park it in all sorts of questionable places, as you'll likely have to do as a 21 year old student.

Being 21 and having an NSX is perfectly ok!! I just turned 21 no more than 2 weeks ago and I am a firm believer in the "you get what you deserve" concept. I definitely got what I deserved, although I'd agree with Akira3d, I'd hate to have someone give me a car like the NSX. I think it really makes a difference to know that I was the only one involved in buying my car. The day I drove my car home was one of the proudest moments of my life.
I have a Ford Ranger as a daily driver, and keep the NSX garaged most of the time around here. My old truck blew the water pump on the way to school once and I was forced to drive to School in the NSX. Can we say SCARY? I had 2 people no more than 7 inches away from my car on either side, and EVERYONE slam bang's their doors shut. I broke out into a cold sweat in class and ended up skipping the next class to take the car home.
I wouldnt want to go to school everyday in a car like the NSX.
Here's my idea.
Get a sensible car like an Accord..AND get an NSX.

Originally posted by whs520:

I, for one, am 21 years old, and I am entering med school at Univ. of AL School of Medicine next fall, which leads me to ask,"do you all think that it is appropriate for a 21 year old to drive an NSX?" I'm trying to convince my parents that I deserve a reward for getting accepted to med school... -Thomas

Congratulations on getting into medical school. No one but yourself was responsible for doing well in college and on the MCATS. Since I was in your position myself, I can give some great advise on this situation.

First, are your parents paying for medical school and your living expenses? If so, I would be very grateful for that alone. A car is not a necessity, but having one does make life easier.

Second, did they force you choose medicine as a career? I personally don't think that is the case with anyone whom would devote the next five years to being in hell.

Third, you are 21, what are you going to want to drive when you are 31? I am a believer of making gradual steps up in the cars that I own. Even if I only keep a car for 1-2 years, if that.

Fourth, when do you plan on driving the car for fun? I didn't do anything besides study in my first year of graduate school. I even told my parents to sell my brand new 300ZX that I got after graduating college. The next year I got a Taurus SHO: fast enough for the time being, and I could take four others along for the ride.

I think that you will have more important things to concern yourself with over the next five years. Concentrate on learning medicine, and then you can reap the benefits of being a doctor. That is what I did, and I have no regrets on owning my own house and cars. Albeit, it took me five more years to get where I am compared to my friends who went into their parents businesses. But, I have job stability and I am my own boss.

Oh yeah, I use my NSX as my daily driver and my patients love it!

Good Luck.

Hi again.
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions- I think all of the input is very interesting. I'd like to address some of the questions/issues from the above posts:
1. To Hal: I plan on living just outside of Birmingham (in Hoover), which would be about a 25 minute drive to and from med school. I think that driving an NSX to/from UASOM would be SO therapuetic for me before/after daily lectures, intro to clinical medicine, gross anatomy, rotations in the future, studying at the library, and all that good stuff. Driving the NSX would be kinda like exercise- an instant stress reliever. Besides, I plan on driving home (Montgomery, the capital of AL, about 1.25 hours interstate driving) as often as I can to see my parents. I guess that's how I would enjoy the NSX if I could have one.
2. To Dr. Lane: Thanks for acknowledging my hard work: I know that you've been through it before, so you can relate. Anyways, to address your questions: I am taking federal loans to pay for tuition and living expenses; however, I admit that my parents partially subsidize my living expenses, which I am very grateful for. Secondly, my parents did influence me towards this profession, my dad is a physician (diagnostic radiologist), my mom was formerly a nurse (now she is a homemaker), my sister is a 2nd year med student at UASOM, and I have cousins and other relatives who are physicians/nurses. They didn't force me, so to speak. I guess it had a lot to do with shared values that I grew up with. Thirdly, I have no idea what kind of car I would want in the distant future. All I know is that the NSX takes my breath away- any color NSX (then again, maybe not blue or yellow as a daily driver). Lastly, just driving it to/from med school, Oak Mountain Park (a nearby park), home, and to the beach at Gulf Shores, would definitely be on my list as fun NSX driving.
One more thing....the med school that I am going to attend is located downtown, and I've heard all of your anxiety stories about leaving the NSX in places like that, but I guess that is just one of the prices that must be paid. Again, thanks, everyone, for your advice and suggestions. I found every post extremely helpful. Talk to you all later. -Thomas

First off - congrats on being accepted to medical school... i'm sure your family and friends are very proud of this tremendous accomplishment.

i'd say if you can buy your own nsx (with money you've earned - not a trust gift), you've earned the right to drive it. if somebody offered me a car (accord... whatever)at your age, i'd beat feet to the nearest dealer they'll write a check to and get that puppy, asap. in your case, they might be a bit relieved that you've dropped the "i want an nsx" pitch and buy the accord luxo-version.

no doubt the accord will serve you well in med school and will also likely be a good trade in on an nsx when you graduate med school, should your folks feel a bit more generous.

best success in your upcoming education.
hal

Personally, I love the way people look at you when they find out the car you drive at such a young age.
I had a corvette convertible at 19 (which I bought) and the stares and comments were hysterical. Half the people figured my parents bught it for me. The other half asked me how I can afford a car like that at such a young age.
Most people asked why I need a car like that now. I would just answer that I'm having my mid-life crisis a bit early.
biggrin.gif

They love that one when you're 19!
I'm 23 now (god I feel old) and it's not as extreme as it used to be with the vette. The NSX did it.
biggrin.gif

whs520,

Just thought I'd throw in my 2c since you're looking for opinions. :)

I'm just coming to the end of my third year of medical school, and I'm planning to buy myself an NSX as a graduation present, so I can relate to your desire to reward yourself for the hard work you have done already, and the hard work you're going to do.

First off, congrats on being accepted to medical school - not many people really understand the price you pay getting in, and the price you pay staying in, even though everyone sort of generally acknowledges that it is "hard."

I don't think there's anything wrong with owning anything at any age. But my parents paid 100% of my undergraduate expenses, and I never really felt comfortable asking them for more. One of my personal philosophies of life is that if you can't pay cash out of your own pocket for something non-essential, you ought to reconsider buying it.

I can justify the large expense of a new or nearly new NSX because currently my med school expenses are all covered by a scholarship, and because my wife and I also own a company that has been very profitable the last couple of years.

We have two small kids and a third due later this year, and I used to tell my wife that I could raid their college savings and buy my NSX sooner if we simply didn't teach them to read and encouraged them to watch TV all day.

Kidding aside, we've satisfied other priorities first - maxing out all the tax advantaged investment accounts we can, saving for our kids' expected college expenses, paying down a large chunk of our mortgage, paying off the first car we bought (a 2 year old Passport), and working on early repayment of our second car loan, which happens to be thrill-a-minute minivan. We also made it a priority to offer to help my brother with his college expenses (he's med school bound too), but he's one of those independent types who doesn't like accepting help.

With all that done, I think I'll be able to save $75-80,000 for a new car by the time I graduate next May. I'm also blessed with a wife who appreciates sportscars ... so the only person I have to convince is myself.

Even with all of that considered, there are times when I do the math and consider that $90,000 invested in an ordinary index fund would probably be worth more than $1.5 million in 30 years (assuming 10% annual return).

I personally would not buy an NSX unless all of my other financial goals were being met. I wouldn't take pride in owning an exotic sports car if I had to mortgage my future to get it. We both have many years of practicing medicine ahead of us, and there's probably a lot of money in our future, but I would feel uncomfortable using the large income I expect to make in the future to justify a large purchase now.

Several people have spoken of pride. I am more proud of being financially secure and independent than I think I will be when I buy my NSX.

Back