• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car PC ( carputer ) Installed

My install is not complete, but its in and working! Still needs some fiberglass work for the USB port that replaces the ashtray.

SYSTEM:
Operating System - Windows XP Pro
PC - Xenarc SC3 PC
Processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.0ghz 478 pin
RAM - 512MB (x2) PC3200 DDR400 184 pin Ultra Low Profile 0.8 inch
Hard Drive - Hitachi Travelstar 2.5inch 80GB
Power Supply Unit - Carnetix CNX-P2140 185w
Monitor - Dynamix 816 8inch Touchscreen
Sound Card - Philips PSC805 Aurilium
Wireless Adapter - Linksys WUSBF54G
Modem - Sierra Wireless 595U USB Modem / Sprint Broadband
GPS Antenna - GlobalSat BU-353
TV/FM - WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE-Kit
Optical Drive - Panasonic UJ-845-B Slot-In 8X DVD±RW/RAM Drive

SOFTWARE:
iGuidance 3.0 Navigation
Digimoto OBD2 Diagnostics
Power DVD Player
Road Runner Front End
WinAmp 2.95 Media Player
BlackBerry Manager Mobile Modem

ACCESSORIES:
Monster Cable THX Mini Jack to RCA Cables
Gigaware 7 port USB Hub
USA Spec Auxilary Input Converter
Mini USB Keyboard
Touchpad Mouse

Attachments

• DSC00291x.jpg
    DSC00291x.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,017
  • DSC00321x.jpg
    DSC00321x.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 6,112
  • DSC00324x.jpg
    DSC00324x.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,528
  • DSC00325x.jpg
    DSC00325x.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,440
  • DSC00326x.jpg
    DSC00326x.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,629
Last edited:
I over built this computer. It didnt need as much as I put into it. Im thinking apx $1,500.00. This is the first time Ive ever done anything like this. Ive had experience in the past with sound system installs, but my computer skills are very limited. I had a lot of help from friends and other forums on learning this stuff. In short, I can build these no problem, I just couldnt tell you what some of this stuff does!

Nice job! What have your project costs been so far?

I keep wanting to do this but the costs for the small computers are very high right now. A mini-itx Core2duo motherboard is about $350 by itself. As much as I dislike Apple computers, it seems the most cost effective option is to use the Mac Mini with the Intel Core2Duo CPU.

Very cool setup though!!! Thanks for sharing.

I keep wanting to do this but the costs for the small computers are very high right now. A mini-itx Core2duo motherboard is about $350 by itself. As much as I dislike Apple computers, it seems the most cost effective option is to use the Mac Mini with the Intel Core2Duo CPU.

Very cool setup though!!! Thanks for sharing.

Specially now that you can run XP on Apple,if you really have to have it. I myself might go that route, its just so much cleaner to install than the "mess" (no offense) another Prime member has on here with his carputer.

I'm curious about the Acura Logo Screen you have in one of the thumbnails. Is that something you installed? Does this come with one of the programs you have?

Excellent job. Now all you need is the V1 Virtual Display with GPS integration.

screenshot.jpg

Question: how long does it take to boot up after you start the car?
<br><br><br><br>

I'm curious about the Acura Logo Screen you have in one of the thumbnails. Is that something you installed? Does this come with one of the programs you have?

They are available for download on mp3car.com I got the platform for my front end skin from there, but modded it to make it to my liking. I actually had a prime member that was a little better at photoshop do the center emblem for me since the only one available for download came with a ricy carbon fiber emblem.
If this is something you are interested in, I can send you my skin.

RUSS - I dont have a Valentine Radar, otherwise I would add that in. Thanks!

They are available for download on mp3car.com I got the platform for my front end skin from there, but modded it to make it to my liking. I actually had a prime member that was a little better at photoshop do the center emblem for me since the only one available for download came with a ricy carbon fiber emblem.
If this is something you are interested in, I can send you my skin.

RUSS - I dont have a Valentine Radar, otherwise I would add that in. Thanks!

Yes Please :smile: I would be most grateful. This is more than a mere "desktop" image right? Fully interactive? I guess part of my question was the option screen as well. Is that also part of one of your programs? This is a curious build. I have a friend that is very computer savvy who wanted to create a 'carputer' for his vehicle. He told me he could create a system to control Audio,Video (DVD, Ipod Video, DiVx, etc), GPS, and several other things.

He estimated the cost for creating the system at around $700 minus the screen. I actually bought my screen from another prime member, sadly during the install, the same computer savvy friend, cracked the touch screen layer and we had to pull it off. It's still a working screen; however, it isn't touch screen anymore obviously.

I was simply going to purchase a head unit that has many of the above features. Still, the whole carputer idea seems very fascinating to me.

Re: Ill send you a PM

Do you have more pictures of the case? Looks good!

This is very interesting. Any chance of doing a write up on how one might do this themselves??? Maybe a quarterly excerpt in NSX Driver? I think this looks like a fun project.

Ill try to take some more pictures of the case. I will not be able to get pics of the computer itself without uninstalling it.

I really dont think I would be the one to do a write up since a) my install is already done and any good write up would have pics. b) I wouldnt even know where to submit something like that.

If anyone can point me out in the right direction on how to do a write up to b submitted to NSX Driver, I would entertain the idea.

There are a few Prime members here that have Car PC's here. Im sure if I didnt do one, someone else may be able to do one.

Is there anyone who is interested in this setup? If someone local to me (Boston), I could definately help out. Or if anyone would like me to piece something together for them, just send me a PM.

I have a Carputer in my 3000GT, but its just a Shuttle PC I built myself. What kind of case is it? Maybe I can Google it?

i got my barebones pc from XenarcDirect.com

It is the SC3 model. Pics are available on the website.

was the dynamix screen an easy fit in the pod? I wanted an 8" in mine but the xenarc screen wouldn't fit. Also what is the quality of the screen ? good reviews? good anti glare?
thanks for any info!
woody

Yes Please :smile: I would be most grateful. This is more than a mere "desktop" image right? Fully interactive? I guess part of my question was the option screen as well. Is that also part of one of your programs? This is a curious build. I have a friend that is very computer savvy who wanted to create a 'carputer' for his vehicle. He told me he could create a system to control Audio,Video (DVD, Ipod Video, DiVx, etc), GPS, and several other things.

He estimated the cost for creating the system at around $700 minus the screen. I actually bought my screen from another prime member, sadly during the install, the same computer savvy friend, cracked the touch screen layer and we had to pull it off. It's still a working screen; however, it isn't touch screen anymore obviously.

I was simply going to purchase a head unit that has many of the above features. Still, the whole carputer idea seems very fascinating to me.

I have the touch screen layer for a 7" xenarc that you can have if it will work with your setup!

Would this work in conjunction with my Kenwood head unit and remote touch screen?

im not really familiar with the kenwood stuff out there. im sure you can get your pc to connect to the headunit in order to get sound. as far as using your kenwood screen to work with the pc, that might be kinda hard. the pc uses a VGA output for a monitor.

was the dynamix screen an easy fit in the pod? I wanted an 8" in mine but the xenarc screen wouldn't fit. Also what is the quality of the screen ? good reviews? good anti glare?
thanks for any info!
woody

the Dynamix screen fits very well. mine is held in by double sided tape. had i took a little more time, i could have gotten the slight gap around the monitor to fit seamlessly if i sanded down the edges on the monitor frame. luckily i didnt. im returning mine for a slight defect (power up issues). i may mod the new one im getting for it to fit PERFECTLY. you lose small clearance from the top, the bottom lines up with the nav pod. you can see the border of the monitor on the side (about a 1/4 inch).

it is clearly visable from all angles, however the glare is pretty bad with the targa off. screen quality is pretty good, but im no expert at screens. looks just like the xenarc but bigger.

maybe another solution for the monitor is using Alpine TME-M740BT, it has bluetooth connection, and adding bluetooth connection to the pc... just a crazy idea, don't know if the touchscreen function might still work.

maybe another solution for the monitor is using Alpine TME-M740BT, it has bluetooth connection, and adding bluetooth connection to the pc... just a crazy idea, don't know if the touchscreen function might still work.

Sounds really cool, I doubt that would work for giving a monitor a signal. I think its more for file transfer etc...

I could be wrong. =)

My install is not complete, but its in and working! Still needs some fiberglass work for the USB port that replaces the ashtray.

Good setup so far! Only thing you're missing is bluetooth, but it seems like you've got those angles covered already (wired keyboard instead of wireless, the Blackberry wants to be plugged in for power anyways, etc.)

How do you like RoadRunner? I think I will likely be switching front ends now that Centrafuse is going to cost several hundred dollars. I'm not a big fan of their music player anyways. Will you share your skin with me? :)

Where do you plan on locating the keyboard and mouse? What about the volume knob from the aurillium?

Also, are you powering your usb hub, or are you relying on the USB power line to supply your devices? Mine works OK without being powered, but sometimes the USB devices won't come back from hibernation. I ran a 5v line from an extra molex on the PC to give it power, and that seemed to help.

Specially now that you can run XP on Apple,if you really have to have it. I myself might go that route, its just so much cleaner to install than the "mess" (no offense) another Prime member has on here with his carputer.

Presumably you're referring to my ridiculous battle with trunk heat. I agree it looked pretty bad at points, as I tried lots of different experimental combinations to see what techniques worked and what didn't. I haven't posted an updated pic on my thread yet, but it's been cleaned up a lot now! The trunk looks nearly stock!

-Josh

Back