• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car PC ( carputer ) Installed

no probs with the touchpad so far. ill guess ill find out this summer!

btw - were you tenblade on s2ki?

I wonder if there are any NSX's out there with a mac mini. Maybe i'll be the first come this summer.

That is a JDM OEM Navigation Pod for the NSX. They are available through vendors like Daili Racing and Science of Speed.

I wonder if there are any NSX's out there with a mac mini. Maybe i'll be the first come this summer.

That would be cool since I am fond of the Ipod and Itunes. Let us know how that turns out.

Hey!! PM me about your 600RR. I currently own a 600F4i and I'm thinking of selling or trading her in for a 600RR all black:biggrin:

I'd like to know how you like the 600. So, PM...I'd hate to hijack this great thread. :redface: Junior's got an awesome project in progress.

Another Update:

Just added a Sprint USB Aircard for Broadband connection. Woo Hoo!!, should have done this right from the beginning!

I had originally got the one from Verizon, but I found the Sprint service almost twice as fast.

I also updated my parts list at the first post.

That would be cool since I am fond of the Ipod and Itunes. Let us know how that turns out.

Hey!! PM me about your 600RR. I currently own a 600F4i and I'm thinking of selling or trading her in for a 600RR all black:biggrin:

I'd like to know how you like the 600. So, PM...I'd hate to hijack this great thread. :redface: Junior's got an awesome project in progress.

I'm already thinking about about removing my DDX-7015 and covering up the empty hole on the console and just use my iPod for now. Might start on that this weekend.

I need to get the nav pod, screen, and carnetix. I already have a mac mini, but its PPC, not sure if I want to spend more money on a newer one.

As for the bike, well i crashed her about a month ago. Its still at the shop, most likely gonna get totalled. I was thinking about upgrading to a 750 or 1000, but in the end 600 is good enough for me. I love the higher redline too.

Do you have any pics of the kenwood ddx in your dash? I had one of those units in my old Supra and miss it a lot....

I dont have any pics of the dash. I never got around to finishing it , so it looks pretty crude, just the stock console cut up to fit the double din.

My install is not complete, but its in and working! Still needs some fiberglass work for the USB port that replaces the ashtray.

SYSTEM:
Operating System - Windows XP Pro
PC - Xenarc SC3 PC
Processor - Intel Pentium 4 2.0ghz 478 pin
RAM - 512MB (x2) PC3200 DDR400 184 pin Ultra Low Profile 0.8 inch
Hard Drive - Hitachi Travelstar 2.5inch 80GB
Power Supply Unit - Carnetix CNX-P2140 185w
Monitor - Dynamix 816 8inch Touchscreen
Sound Card - Philips PSC805 Aurilium
Wireless Adapter - Linksys WUSBF54G
Modem - Sierra Wireless 595U USB Modem / Sprint Broadband
GPS Antenna - GlobalSat BU-353
TV/FM - WinTV-PVR-USB2 MCE-Kit
Optical Drive - Panasonic UJ-845-B Slot-In 8X DVD±RW/RAM Drive

SOFTWARE:
iGuidance 3.0 Navigation
Digimoto OBD2 Diagnostics
Power DVD Player
Road Runner Front End
WinAmp 2.95 Media Player
BlackBerry Manager Mobile Modem

ACCESSORIES:
Monster Cable THX Mini Jack to RCA Cables
Gigaware 7 port USB Hub
USA Spec Auxilary Input Converter
Mini USB Keyboard
Touchpad Mouse

UPDATE: Relocated the 7 port USB hub elsewhere and returned the console back to stock with the ashtray cover. I added a much smaller 4 port USB hub where the ashtray was. Also swapped out the Philips Aurilium Sound Casr for a Creative Xmod. I could hear the difference immediately!

Stupid Junior, wowwww, your system is sooooo cool :cool: specially the "NSX" on the screens. makes it look and top some OEM systems i.e. my RX330

congrats...

Stupid Junior, wowwww, your system is sooooo cool :cool: specially the "NSX" on the screens. makes it look and top some OEM systems i.e. my RX330

congrats...

thanks for the compliments. my goal in this project was to make it as oem looking as possible.

I've seen this in person its pretty impressive what stupidjunior has done. It was cool to be out in the middle of a field and be surfing NSXprime on the nav screen. His install was very neat.

Did you make that program that's on the photo?

i think the program you refer is actually what is called the "front end" or skin.

the other picture with the wheather info could be on-line from the internet.

My install is not complete, but its in and working! Still needs some fiberglass work for the USB port that replaces the ashtray.

SOFTWARE:
iGuidance 3.0 Navigation
Digimoto OBD2 Diagnostics
Power DVD Player
Road Runner Front End
WinAmp 2.95 Media Player
BlackBerry Manager Mobile Modem

I installed a similar setup in my ZX , does honda have a similar diagnostics program available , like the nissan Consult or datascan like the picture. very handy to be able to monitor every adressable sensor in your car in realtime .

Datascan.jpg

pocospic - my boot time is less than 20 seconds. i made sure not to have too many programs startup in my startup folder. it does take some getting used to not having instant sound from the radio, but the payoff is worth the 20 seconds of waiting. it actually works as a great tool to wait before taking off in my car. 20 seconds usually sufficient time to build up proper oil pressure before driving!

AdnanVCS - NSX PTY is correct. The photo you mention of is the front end program / skin. it is fully operational on the touchscreen monitor. the program i am running is called road runner. the skin was a slightly modified default skin.

SweetChuck - is that a picture of your car? if so, congrats. i do have Digimoto software on my car pc. i used an elmscan usb connector to get the ecu info, but it does not run in real time. do you know of any that does?

I've seen this in person its pretty impressive what stupidjunior has done. It was cool to be out in the middle of a field and be surfing NSXprime on the nav screen. His install was very neat.

Are you ready for this mod yet? :biggrin:

I am currently building a car pc system for a local 350z owner. i sshould be doing the install sometime next week. ill post pics of here when im done.

Attachments

• IMG00004.jpg
    IMG00004.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 162
I just completed an installation of a CarPC/Video installation, using the NavPod assembly with a Lilliput 7" monitor, also a Jensen VM9021TS in place of the factory stereo.

I have front & rear cameras which were installed by the previous owner, and having 2 screens in the dash not only looks awesome, but provides for alot of options when vieing the PC/DVD/Camera inputs. Unlike others who have done this type of thing, I used an HP slimline PC located in the trunk(as opposed to a car specific PC), with a wireless keyboard & mouse kept in the car (also a wired keyboard in the trunk), as well as a remote switch in the center console which turns off the Vector inverter which is also located in the trunk. I can have mobile internet by using my Sprint phone (as modem), and I ran an extension cable from the trunk to the center console where I simply hook it up.
As for the audio from the computer, all that was needed was to take the mini from the computer to RCA's & connect to the Jensen's AUX in. I also have Sirius & mini-disc, so I use a 3 way switcher(in the center console) to select the audio source I want played thru the Jensen. The Jensen also has a "rear zone" video output, used for backseat monitors in an SUV, but I realized that this would work out great if I connected that to the Video input on the Lilliput monitor in the NavPod. The result was incredible as now I can view DVD/SD up above on the Pod, while looking at my camera input(s) on the Jensen, and so on...

I am not an electronic or computer genius, but I am pretty good at taking existing components & using them to create a unique system, and that is what I have done here, for under $2000. This was one of the few times where I had an idea & everything came together better than I imagined it would, in terms of appearance, and functionality!

I HIGHLY recommend the Jensen VM9021TS for anyone looking for a double din unit that does more than others costing 3 times as much!

It is definitely alot of work to do something like this, it took me about 20 hours of labor...but was worth it!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 220
I just completed an installation of a CarPC/Video installation, using the NavPod assembly with a Lilliput 7" monitor, also a Jensen VM9021TS in place of the factory stereo.

I have front & rear cameras which were installed by the previous owner, and having 2 screens in the dash not only looks awesome, but provides for alot of options when vieing the PC/DVD/Camera inputs. Unlike others who have done this type of thing, I used an HP slimline PC located in the trunk(as opposed to a car specific PC), with a wireless keyboard & mouse kept in the car (also a wired keyboard in the trunk), as well as a remote switch in the center console which turns off the Vector inverter which is also located in the trunk. I can have mobile internet by using my Sprint phone (as modem), and I ran an extension cable from the trunk to the center console where I simply hook it up.
As for the audio from the computer, all that was needed was to take the mini from the computer to RCA's & connect to the Jensen's AUX in. I also have Sirius & mini-disc, so I use a 3 way switcher(in the center console) to select the audio source I want played thru the Jensen. The Jensen also has a "rear zone" video output, used for backseat monitors in an SUV, but I realized that this would work out great if I connected that to the Video input on the Lilliput monitor in the NavPod. The result was incredible as now I can view DVD/SD up above on the Pod, while looking at my camera input(s) on the Jensen, and so on...

I am not an electronic or computer genius, but I am pretty good at taking existing components & using them to create a unique system, and that is what I have done here, for under $2000. This was one of the few times where I had an idea & everything came together better than I imagined it would, in terms of appearance, and functionality!

I HIGHLY recommend the Jensen VM9021TS for anyone looking for a double din unit that does more than others costing 3 times as much!

It is definitely alot of work to do something like this, it took me about 20 hours of labor...but was worth it!

i agree fully, car pc setups are not only the next big thing in the industry, but gives the NSX a long overdue update in technology.

what kind of programs are you running? do you have navigation? id like to see some shots of the trunk install as well.

thanks for contributing. i will be posting up some pictures of the 350z here when my customer's car.

Back