• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car PC ( carputer ) Installed

I love the clean look of the Road Runner front end, but I think I'll be modding another one that has more functions on it.

The keyboard will not be mounted anywhere as I do not feel that I will be using the keyboard on a daily basis. I do not have a mouse as part of this system. I'm using a touchpad that I mounted in the coin tray behind the shifter. I'll be adding pics as soon as I get a chance.

The Philips Aurilium actually hasnt been installed yet. Im waiting for a replacement one since the one I got was defective.

The USB hub is powered to a 5v line. I figure I would be plugging in a lot of USB equipment, so I went the safer route. The power supply unit has extra power lines for accesories, so I took advantage of them.

Good setup so far! Only thing you're missing is bluetooth, but it seems like you've got those angles covered already (wired keyboard instead of wireless, the Blackberry wants to be plugged in for power anyways, etc.)

How do you like RoadRunner? I think I will likely be switching front ends now that Centrafuse is going to cost several hundred dollars. I'm not a big fan of their music player anyways. Will you share your skin with me? :)

Where do you plan on locating the keyboard and mouse? What about the volume knob from the aurillium?

Also, are you powering your usb hub, or are you relying on the USB power line to supply your devices? Mine works OK without being powered, but sometimes the USB devices won't come back from hibernation. I ran a 5v line from an extra molex on the PC to give it power, and that seemed to help.

Presumably you're referring to my ridiculous battle with trunk heat. I agree it looked pretty bad at points, as I tried lots of different experimental combinations to see what techniques worked and what didn't. I haven't posted an updated pic on my thread yet, but it's been cleaned up a lot now! The trunk looks nearly stock!

-Josh

I love the clean look of the Road Runner front end, but I think I'll be modding another one that has more functions on it.

The keyboard will not be mounted anywhere as I do not feel that I will be using the keyboard on a daily basis. I do not have a mouse as part of this system. I'm using a touchpad that I mounted in the coin tray behind the shifter. I'll be adding pics as soon as I get a chance.

The Philips Aurilium actually hasnt been installed yet. Im waiting for a replacement one since the one I got was defective.

The USB hub is powered to a 5v line. I figure I would be plugging in a lot of USB equipment, so I went the safer route. The power supply unit has extra power lines for accesories, so I took advantage of them.

Yeah, I use a mini-keyboard as well, and don't use a mouse of any kind. I use this touchpad, and it works wonders. And when I'm really wanting to show off, I just use my touchscreen. :D

Check out the ultimate newbie thread.
This should help out those that need to visualize what is involved in making a system like this happen for them.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1858814,00.asp

this thing is called spoonfeeding in the related forums:biggrin: :tongue:

Check out the ultimate newbie thread.
This should help out those that need to visualize what is involved in making a system like this happen for them.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1858814,00.asp

this thing is called spoonfeeding in the related forums:biggrin: :tongue:

I noticed you have a Philips sound card. How do you get the sound into your stock stereo? Are you using the mini jack to rca cables for this? If so, how do you connect the RCAs to the HU?

The main menu with Acura logo looks awesome!!!

Thanks in advance.

I connected the car pc to the sound card by USB, the sound card w/ mini jack to rca cable to the USA Spec Auxilary Input Converter, then the USA Spec Auxilary Input Converter to the cd changer input on the back of the oem radio.

The USA Spec Auxilary Input Converter is available from Circuit City.

HTH

- J

A couple days ago, I was a little low on gas and went to the nearest mobil one to fuel up. Premuim gas was at $3.09 at this particular gas station. I decided to risk it, and go to a gas station closer to my home, because this gas station is usually cheaper. I made it on vapors, only to find that this second station was charging $3.19 per gallon for premium gas, DOH!!.

Point is, there is a website that by plugging in your zip or address, will show you the prices for gas at all the local gas station within a preset radius. How nice it would be to simply go online on a CarPC and look up this information.

There are many things a good GPS system, like the one in Acura/Honda's, can do that are still limited compared to a CarPC. This idea still seems very appealling to me.

there are threads on mo3car.com regarding the gas station price locator. i have yet to play with it yet, but will be doing that soon. i have just setup the car for weather readings, and will be doing research on traffic cams. will update when done!

Stupid Junior,

As far as sound is concern can the car pc be installed without the stock radio and instead use the car pc 100% to control the sound? I'm really contemplating installing a car pc because computers is my background and I can build a killer
pc which will cost less than a regular double din NAV, DVD mobile radio.

First, the PC is mounted in the glove box (see the attached pics on my first post)

Second, yes...the pc can run sound without the use of the OEM radio. To do this, you must first run a mini jack to RCA cable from either the pc or soundcard to an amplifier, which will be powering your speakers/sub. Because our cars are equipped with the BOSE system, you will be required to replace the speakers when running an amp.

I used the USA Spec Auxilary Input convertor so i wouldnt have to replace and install speakers and amps. I may do so in the future. Lastly, I want it to be known that at this time, there are no known good USB FM radios. I have heard that when a car is in motion, reception can be lost very easily. I would suggest either getting all the music you love to listen to on your hard drive, our get satelite radio.

Stupid Junior,

As far as sound is concern can the car pc be installed without the stock radio and instead use the car pc 100% to control the sound? I'm really contemplating installing a car pc because computers is my background and I can build a killer
pc which will cost less than a regular double din NAV, DVD mobile radio.

First, the PC is mounted in the glove box (see the attached pics on my first post)

Second, yes...the pc can run sound without the use of the OEM radio. To do this, you must first run a mini jack to RCA cable from either the pc or soundcard to an amplifier, which will be powering your speakers/sub. Because our cars are equipped with the BOSE system, you will be required to replace the speakers when running an amp.

I used the USA Spec Auxilary Input convertor so i wouldnt have to replace and install speakers and amps. I may do so in the future. Lastly, I want it to be known that at this time, there are no known good USB FM radios. I have heard that when a car is in motion, reception can be lost very easily. I would suggest either getting all the music you love to listen to on your hard drive, our get satelite radio.

I had originally planned on getting some sort of converter to allow me to use the stock speakers/amps with an aftermarket head unit. MalibuRapper, verified that this can be done and he certainly knows his stuff. It is nice to know I can do the same with a CarPC.

As far as the FM radio is concerned, I LOATHE the radio. I can't understand how people endure the annoying commercials, DJs, retarded people calling in to say stupid things, and the strange and annoying sound effects they always play. I use the 30gig Ipod with in my cars and can't recall the last time I've listened to the radio. Adding Satellite radio would be a nice addition as well.

Keep us posted on the gas/weather updates...

Thanks again Junior:smile:

I am on my fourth carputer assembly and then installation. I would be willing to take pictures and such, best posted here or saved and submitted to NSX magazine?

Tim

Stupid Junior,

Was installing the USA Spec Auxilary Input Converter a straight forward process?

yes, very straight forward....

plug it into the cd changer output on the back of the oem radio and connect the rca cables to the USA spec auxilary.

Stupid Junior,

Sorry to ask you so many questions, but how is the ventilation having the car computer in the glove box. Does it give it adequete breathing for the computer so it won't over heat?

so far so good! its been kinda cool around here in the past few weeks, but early this week when it got between 80-90 degrees, it still ran fine. i guess the real test will be in the summer time.

When installing the car pc, i found that the computer was a tad bit too long for the tapered glove box. you can either get an early model glove box (if you are planning on removing the passenger airbag), or cut it like mine. with it cut, i believe it has more room to breath, but i have not tested or recorded any temperature behind there. i went by seeing another prime member that put the same unit in the glove box. i figured, it worked for him!

Stupid Junior,

Sorry to ask you so many questions, but how is the ventilation having the car computer in the glove box. Does it give it adequete breathing for the computer so it won't over heat?

here some more pics. Ive finished the install for the Touchpad Mouse..

Attachments

• DSC00407x.jpg
    DSC00407x.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 418
Looking good:smile:

Would there be any heating issues with the touchpad? It is installed in that spot right? Where do you stash the keyboard?

Back