• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car PC ( carputer ) Installed

In the next few days I'll try to get some pictures posted of what I have in the trunk.

As for what programs I am running, I dont have anything specific. I used the HP slimline PC as it came straight out of the box from Best Buy. As my computer knowledge is very limited, the main purpose of the PC part of my setup is really just for the ability to have internet access on the go. My setup is a combination of that, integrated with all of the other sources etc I have in the car, and the Jensen head unit. I guess my setup is more about all of the bells & whistles & how they all come together using the NavPod/7" monitor, & the Jensen VM9021TS, and less about the specifics of the PC. And for the Navigation part, I am simply using the NAV100 add on component made specifically for the Jensen system.

I must admit, what I like most about my setup is how great it looks to have the TWO screens neatly mounted in dash (the NavPod assembly looks GREAT & I recommend it for anyone looking to do something like this)....and also how well it all functions, from the ability to display the DVD on either screen, to the wireless keyboard/mouse (the top of the center console acts as a great mouse pad), remote inverter switch, and all of the other aspects of it that came together perfectly.

In my NSX I have the following "entertainment":
DVD (Displays on Jensen or NavPod)
SD Card (Displays on Jensen or NavPod)
Front & Rear Cameras w/toggle switch
XM Radio/Sirius Radio/AM-FM-CD
MiniDisc(yes its old school but I've always liked this format)
Ipod Connection (Displays on Jensen)
PC-Windows Vista/Mobile Internet using Sprint phone as modem connection
Radar Detection

To be honest, its not so much about how often I will use all of this, but rather the fun of doing it all, and now that it is done, realizing that I have added my own personal touch to my NSX. When I sat in my car the next day & looked at how clean it all looked, I realized it was well worth the effort! I know from reading other posts, that each person has their own ideas/plans for their NSX, for some it is performance enhancements, and for others such as myself, it might be this type of thing. Thats what is great about owning an NSX, if you own one, you feel really great when you spend your spare time dreaming of what you can do to make it uniquely your own. I feel that I accomplished what I wanted to when I completed this project.

CarPC setups are definitely an up and coming thing....either for the sheer fun of it, or for practical purposes. I have been kind of ahead of the curve in terms of mobile entertainment, as I have an in motion satellite system in my other vehicle, and I do installations of those as a side business. The car pc is just another extension of that type of thing, and one which I predict will become more mainstream in the near future.

There are alot of little details about what my NSX system will do, as well as how I installed it all, which I did not touch on in my posts...if anyone has any questions, I will be happy to try to help if at all possible.

Well, 3 weeks later, here are a few more pictures of what I have in my NSX. As I have read recent posts about other Car PC installations, I guess mine is a much less technically oriented install, but more of a "fun" setup. My goal was for everything to look really clean in the car, and I feel that the 2 screens do look sharp....also to keep most of the wiring hidden, such as I have done with the inverter remote switch, sprint phone/modem cable, and switcher, and ipod cable all kept inside the center storage compartment. Alot of the installs I have seen look way too "messy". Even though I do use a fullsize keyboard, it is very slim and is kept out of sight behind the drivers seat unless I need it. Also as I may have mentioned in a previous post, the top of the center compartment acts as a perfect mouse pad for the wireless mouse.

It seems like many who install car pc systems want the PC to control everything....I really wasnt going for that when I did this. I am not a big fan of having your PC completely control your music choices, as we all know, heat is a big issue, and in general, if the PC "locks up", by having an in-dash unit like the Jensen, I know I will always be able to use my XM, AM/FM, ipod, etc.

So while I was not looking to rip out my stereo & go totally PC, I was looking for the following:
-The ability to get on the internet anytime, anywhere that I can get a Sprint signal, which I have done and it works great(see pictures)!
-To be able to utilize the front & rear cameras, DVD, internet, as well as all of the other options that I have have with the Jensen VM9021TS, and to be able to use any combination of them on either of the 2 screens, which also works great & looks really cool too!
-To have it all look really clean, and yet different than any other setup that I have seen, but also not overhauling the interior of my car to do it. The only "major" change is the install of the NavPod, but that looks very sweet & "OEM" and I have gotten many compliments on it, with people asking if it was a factory installed option! Anyway, here are the additional pics...the one of the engine area shows the wiring routed from the car interior, to the trunk.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 166
completely badd ass... i haven't read through all of this yet but i know i'm going to have a billion questions.

awesome!

Back