• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clear side markers Only took 20yrs to make

Poll created. What color side marker do you prefer?
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1266083#post1266083

I have some teaser pics for you guys. To celebrate the 20th Anniversary for the NSX, I found a company to manufacture some clear side markers for us.

These side markers are complete drop in replacements. No need to butcher your old ones to put clear lens. You get to keep your old OEM ones if you want to go back to stock. Very simple DIY replacement.

I just got them, I'll have pictures of them on the car very soon.

Once I lock down the mold, I expect the production to take about another 2 months to make. The first production run is for 50 sets only.

Please let me know what you think of them and if your interested. We are still in the prototype phase. I would like your feedback, so I can make changes now.

Special thanks to NsxSupra for helping to make this possible.

764311103_7udPR-S.jpg

764310762_7TQp6-S.jpg

764310494_rAwaP-S.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Clear side markers!! Only took 20yrs to make

I like them but what about the rear markers?

I don't know if I'll have the NSX in 2030 but I sure hope so.

I don't know if I'll have the NSX in 2030 but I sure hope so.

LOL. Hopefully it doesn't take that long.

I wanted to make sure that I can get my money back from the front ones before I start on the rear.

After that, I can consider making hot pink ones, titanium ones, carbon ones, etc. :biggrin:

Nice job!..just a thought, but you might want to consider on making color matched plugs for those who hate the side marker look in the first place.

woo-hoo...

Home-run... :cool:

Years ago, I actually acquired in-quantity near exact-sized clear DOT reflector lenses (diamond-cut prism) to fit the existing OEM front amber sidemarkers, but they didn't have a perimeter-length bevel edge like the OEM front amber reflector lens. As much as I tried, I was never able re-create a high-quality analog of the bezel-like rubber gasket on the OEM front sidemarkers. So, then I was left w/ a few pairs of OEM front amber sidemarkers that I bought for testing, and 100's of clear DOT reflector lenses... :D

Hence, I got the ClearCorner.com's front & rear clear LED sidemarkers. The front set look really cool to me, but I'm ambivalent w/ regards to the rear set. They look like they belong on a lighter-colored NSX (ie. Sebring Silver, Kaiser Silver, Silverstone Silver, Grand Prix White, etc').

Anywayz...

Congratz' on your project!

Those look great, it will match my black 02 perfectly. Can't wait till you finish them :)

Nice job!..just a thought, but you might want to consider on making color matched plugs for those who hate the side marker look in the first place.

Thanks.

The market is too small as it is making just clear ones. Hence, why it took 20 years for someone to make a complete replacement version. I don't have the funds to subsidize every color; maybe if we convince serialNSX to fund it, it might happen :biggrin:

Osiris_x11, pm sent.

I forgot to also thank Osiris_x11 for his invaluable posts on this subject matter.

His posts and threads help to make sure that my specs. addressed all his concerns and problems. The first prototype would not have been as nice, had he not documented his attempts.

Last edited:

Actually, the color on my prototype version is somewhere between the typical clear and light smoke. It matches the front turn signals very well.

I wasn't expecting it to be this color. I am debating if I want to have them tweak it to the regular clear color you see on most clear side markers or keep it the way it is.

I'm leaning toward just keeping the color. The nsx side maker is fairly large and it looks funny when it's the typical clear color. It tends to look too aftermarket with the typical clear.

You guys are killing me. :biggrin: Like I said before, lets get serialNSX to fund it and we can have any color we want. Who's got his cell number. :tongue:

I will definitely want a set of these!!!

Very nice! Any ballpark guess on the price?

Yes, about the price. I'm am doing my hardest to keep the price reasonable.

I purposely left out that information out for now. I can tell you it is going to be much cheaper than the pioneer competitor price of $450. But to be fair, their sidemarkers are LEDs.

I wanted your feedback on the side markers to improve them and make sure your concerns were being addressed before I gave the go ahead for production. I didn't want it to be about pricing.

Yes. I know you can get a full tail light replacement for [fill in the blank with an automobile] for less than $250 or that other side markers can cost less than $10. But we all know that the NSX is a low production car. To make matters worst, this is only for the North American NSX market, limiting the the potential market even further.

Please keep in mind that it took 20 yrs to make for that reason. I'm not saying it was rocket science. It was a matter of economics.

I'm exploring ways to drive this cost down and make it as cheap as possible.

Last edited:

I would like to see a lightly smoked set with an amber bulb, something similiar to the 2004-2008 TL's....also would like to see them lighted up too if possible.

Last edited:

The bulbs will not be a problem. You can buy 194 wedge bulbs that are chrome, but light up amber. This way you won't get the egg yolk effect. I'll try to source a wholesale lot of them. Does anyone know where to buy them, wholesale?

The smoked version will be very difficult to justify producing due to the economics of it. I won't rule it out, but it is highly unlikely to happen. I am trying to find a balance in between those that want smoke and clear side markers.

The current prototype version color is a good balance. It is slightly smoked. I will take a picture of a typical clear side marker next to it. This should give you a better idea.

I really need feedback. The factory is doing this as a favor to me, and they want to wrap up the prototype by this weekend.

I was considering driving to Coffee and Cars Irvine this Sat. 1/16/10. You will be able to see the color, quality, fitments, etc for yourself.

Are you guys interested? What time do you guys normally meet? Where should I park?

Keep in mind, I will only expect to make one color. I don't expect to sell enough units to offset the cost of different colors. So I need to find that balance for people that want clear and smoke. Come out and let me know what you think or forever hold your peace.

Could the black ring be painted body color or is it too flexible/soft for that to work?

I'm sure it'd look great on my silver car.

It'd be nice if they came with a smoked lens instead of the clear. Clear looks a bit too white on black IMO. Good job though!
I'm with you on this one.

The smoked version will be very difficult to justify producing due to the economics of it. I won't rule it out, but it is highly unlikely to happen. I am trying to find a balance in between those that want smoke and clear side markers.

The current prototype version color is a good balance. It is slightly smoked. I will take a picture of a typical clear side marker next to it. This should give you a better idea.
If it becomes reality....I vote for the smoked version. Hopefully the back side markers are also considered as part of the package.

Last edited:

Love it, I am in for a set exactly as you have them. Great job BTW! :biggrin:

Could the black ring be painted body color or is it too flexible/soft for that to work?

I'm sure it'd look great on my silver car.

It's probably too flexible to paint it directly. I'll see what they can do, but I'm not very hopefull. Too many NSX colors to match.

Too many NSX colors to match.

You mean there are other colors besides red :tongue:?

Look great in the pics; would be interesting to see IRL. Any chance you can bring 'em to NSXPO in Vegas later this year? I'd wager (heh) there'd be many interested buyers there...

Back