• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clear side markers Only took 20yrs to make

Re: Clear side markers!! Only took 20yrs to make

Congrats on finding your 02 blue/blue NSX.

I've been meaning to contact you about smoked overlays for the sidemarkers. I was considering a smoke overlay solution for those that wanted them darker, and you were the first person that came to mind.

Are you still putting together car meets on Thursdays in San Diego?

Is your cell number still the same? I'll give you a call this week.

The factory is swamped with current OE orders. My project is very low priority for them. But I'm still working on it. Hopefully, they can squeeze me in between orders.

As soon as I have an update I will post it.

Thanks.

Sorry, it's taking so long to get this project completed.

Here is the latest update:
I was able to convince (money always helps) them to make different color lenses for this project.

Color
The current plan is for 3 color choices for the front side markers:
- Clear
- Light Smoke
- Dark Smoke

Time Frame
I'm hoping to get some of the front side markers by the end of this month. I'm not sure how many are being made right now or which ones are coming in first.

Rear Side Markers??
The current project is for front side markers only. I want to test the quality of these and I have to recoup part of my cost before I commit to rear side markers.

Price
I'm still working on a price with the manufacturer. The 3 color choices has increased the cost as expected.

Sneak Peek Picture

Here is a teaser pic of the Dark smoke front side markers:

827007807_4LLn9-M.jpg

NSX completed Dark Smoke side marker (Left), sample dark smoke side marker BMW E46 (middle), NSX clear side marker lens only (Right).

The NSX light smoke lens is not pictured. It will be similar to the Porsche 996 light smoke color.

Last edited:
PRICE:
The new projected cost is approx. $110 - $130 each side marker. So, the front set will cost approx $220 - $260. These are estimated cost only. I am doing my best to keep the prices low.

Originally, when I started this project the approx. cost was $179 for each side marker ($358 for front side marker set).

I was able to get that cost down by making only one mold for both sides: Front Left and Front Right side marker. The front left and front right side markers will be interchangeable and exactly the same.

REAR SIDE MARKERS:

The rear side marker sets will be much cheaper than the front side markers for people that have bought the front sets from me. I will have a lot of left over raw materials from making the front side markers that I can use for the rear sets. I will still have to pay for mold fees, labor, freight, packaging, but at least I can save on some of the raw material costs.

Depending how well I can recoup some of my cost from the front side markers, will determine when I start on the rear side markers.

LOOKING FOR A DAMAGED REAR FENDER:

If anyone has a damaged NSX rear fender with the side marker area undamaged, please PM me. I can work out a great discount for you.

I need this area to test fit the prototype and production rear side markers.

Last edited:
<b>UPDATE 5-5-10</b>

The first batch of front side markers have been made and shipped. They are currently stuck at US Customs.

I hope they release them soon.

Where do I sign up for these , I want a set and am willing to pay the listed price.

Interested as well.........

I just received some front side markers this week. But I'm having a slight problem with them.

The metal clips is 1.56 mm longer than the prototype and oem side markers. The 1.56 mm difference makes it very hard to get the side markers to fit and seat properly.

I'm checking with the factory to see if they can make me some replacement metal clips. I'm not sure how long it will take and if the factory can schedule the time to do it for me.

Removing the metal clips is a PITA.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

Does anyone have a contact to make the metal clips here in the USA? Maybe I can have them made faster here, than overseas.

How are these different then the ones from clearcorner.com? The final price looks to be about the same.

The vendor you mention makes each part by hand, using flat textured plastic, he cuts the lenses by hand , files, sands and glues. Problem is, you can tell if you look close.

These are molded parts similar to OEM but different color.

Which is better?

Hmm.

Last edited:
Clearcorner ones are also led. You didn't mention that Angus.

good stuff...

vsy05, I had been bogged w/ lots of stuff, but finally seeing the end (or perhaps the beginning for moar???). Regardless, I am sending you back the return shipping-label, along w/ that DOT clear diamond cut reflector lens that we spoke of for your evaluation.
The vendor you mention makes each part by hand, using flat textured plastic, he cuts the lenses by hand , files, sands and glues. Problem is, you can tell if you look close.

These are molded parts similar to OEM but different color.

Which is better?

Hmm.
Clearcorner ones are also led. You didn't mention that Angus.
I have both. vsy05's offering is literally OEM/stock quality from the inside-out. I'm talking molded side-marker housing, prismatic clear/smoked reflector lens, and outer perimeter gasket/garnish. Whereas the Clearcorners offering is an OEM side-marker which has been converted to a clear side-marker using a modified prismatic clear reflector lens, modified outer perimeter gasket/garnish, along w/ an embedded custom-fabricated high-power LED-array.

I suggested to apkarian100 to look into offering an embedded custom-fabricated high-power LED-array for vsy05-produced clear/smoked side-markers. I believe such a solution is in the works.

Thus, the conclusion? It's quite apparent that one looks OEM/stock in appearance & quality, and the other looks modified/converted in appearance & quality. Both are good & adequate as after-market solutions for clear side-markers. Regarding the price-points for both, I believe both to be pricey - personally speaking. But, of-course it comes down to economies of scale (as to be expected).

Last edited:
hi,
i tried all three shades (clear, medium and dark) on my white nsx-r replica today. Please see the attached pictures. My biggest problem is that i like all three and can't decide which one i like the most. They are all awesome.

if the car was black, it would be easier, either medium or dark.

for a white car, they are all good, perhaps clear or medium??

If someone could please make these pictures bigger that would be great!! i don't know how!!

in the meantime you can double click on the thumbnails for bigger.

thanks Ethan!!!! these are an AWESOME ADDITION FOR THE NSX!!!
tom

Attachments

• clear.jpg
    clear.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 442
  • medium.jpg
    medium.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 442
  • dark.jpg
    dark.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
I just want to buy a set , how do I pay?

The side markers seem very dark in Tom's photos. The colors are one or two shade lighter in person.

My guess is that he took the photo in his garage with the white balance a little off.

Tom is such a tease. I haven't seen what they look like on an 02+ yet. I hoping for a picture of the whole car soon.

I just want to buy a set , how do I pay?

I'm just waiting for the new metal clips to come in before I start processing orders.

Socalx want to use his original metal clips, so I sent him a couple sets.

I didn't want too many people trying to use their original clips because they are a PITA to remove without damaging to the original side marker.

But of course with your technical skills, I don't doubt you could probably do it blindfolded.

If you want to use your original metal clips, I can send you the side markers also. Just PM me what color you want, your shipping address, and the best way to get it through to Canada.

The ETA for the replacement metal clip is about 2-3 weeks.

Ethan

They are lighter in person. probably 1-2 shades. I had not really noticed it, until you pointed it out, and looking back at my pics you are correct.

I am very happy with them, and now have to decide which color to run. decisions, decisions.
thanks

I'm running clear on the left side and light smoke on the right side until I decide on a color. :biggrin:

Most people don't even notice that I'm running non-matching colors.

Get small double side tape strips to secure them in place for now. Put a different color on each side. You can even drive around with just the double side tape. The light bulb harness will help to keep it from falling off and the double side tape will easily hold them in place

Sometimes it takes time to decide on a color. The colors start to grow on you and look better over time. Your probably so used to looking at that orange side marker, that it will takes time getting accustom to different colors.

Take your time. I not a hurry to get them back yet.

Last edited:
Back