• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clear side markers Only took 20yrs to make

Re: Clear side markers!! Only took 20yrs to make

I am glad to see that people agree with me on the smoked set since I feel that they will compliment every car color. The porsche ones look good also.

Heres a pic of the 04-08 TL sidemarkers, hopefully you can see them ok.

Last edited:

Does anyone have any other auto makes and models I should take a look at?

So far you guys have suggested to take a closer look at the Acura TL smoked side markers and the Porsche 996 clear side markers.

I plan on finding these cars today, and maybe buy a side marker or two. I'll try to take pictures next to one another to let you guys see the color difference.

Here's an old picture of my TL. :)
newwheels2.jpg

Great idea! They should look sweet!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Looks sweet as it is! I'd like to see how it looks smoked too, but it might not have the same look as the porsche/tl since those are much smaller/slimmer.

Well , the people who want smoked could also tint them on their own.

I'm not in the market for these because they will rightfully cost more than i'm willing to spend... but wanted to help out with my opinion. The white frost look is terrible. It reminds me of the taiwan side lenses they use to sell for early 90s Civics, Integras, & Accords when what you really wanted was the JDM one-piece headlamps. If these were more clear and see through but diamond cut it would look better - similar to the existing turn signals (which I think you already mentioned). Smoked is a plus for me but that's probably only because I drive a black car. I'd like them to be near invisible but still functional.

Good luck! I appreciate the effort.

Last edited:

If these were more clear and see through but diamond cut it would look better - similar to the existing turn signals (which I think you already mentioned).

Thanks for your reply.

Do you have a picture of what your talking about? Are you thinking something like this:

crystalside.jpg

Please keep in mind that the NSX housing is not similar to other side markers. The back housing is not pretty to look at if the front cover was more clear. Think about a basic oval swimming pool with a shallow 3 ft on each side, then it dips to 6ft in the middle. The dip is very dramatic and not very gradual. This weird shape also effects the color of the side markers.

There are many factors on the NSX side markers that complicate things when trying to achieve that clean look.

- Black Rubber Gasket around the side markers really destroys the clean look unless your car is black

- The side marker if very large compared to other side markers. The shape of it really doesn't help much either.

- The side marker back housing is an unusual shape that I explained earlier

- The side marker location makes it difficult to get that clean look. Other cars use nice side body lines like the Acura TL to blend in the side markers.

- Then on top of that it has to blend well the turning signals lens and headlights.

What I have learned through this process is that you can't simply take the best attributes of other side markers and apply them to the NSX side marker. They might look nice on those cars, but once you apply it to the NSX, it doesn't look as good because of the reasons listed above.

^^^ I totally know what you mean. These look almost too clear but the one you posted first in the prototype was too frosted. (btw... you asked for opinions so i'm simply providing mine :))

For folks with black cars, like me, who want the smoked looked then the "too clear" version would look perfect but smoked. I know that doesn't help you because then you'd need two molds.

You really need something in between the two that you have already posted.

I don't have too much time to search for pics but this is what I meant.

Focusing on just the clear corners portion of each pic - doesn't #1 look better than #2? To me, the first one you looks like #2.

Maybe something like this...There's no frosting. The white frosting just kills it for me in your proto. Again, just my $0.02. Good luck!

JDM%20EF%20%2789-%2789%20CRX%20Aftermarket%20Corner%20Lights%20(Clear)%20Large.jpg

+1 for smoke

Are the rears different than the fronts? Any interested in making front and rear at the same time? I would be in for that.

I really appreciate your opinions. I wasn't trying to be defensive. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I welcome all opinions. Keep the suggestions coming.

I simply replying to let you know what we discovered in the process. We tried more clear lens and it revealed how ugly the back of the side marker housing looks when you can see thru it.

But if this is a deal killer for most of you, I will be forced to find another solution.

Rear side markers will require a different set of molds. This will only complicate the project and double the investment.

Doing only the front side markers first will provide valuable experience and let us work out any problems that we might have.

I like the current frosted setup, do NOT go with the full clears, they look cheap IMO.

so have you determined pricing? I'll most likely buy a set :)

Great vendor with innovative product! :biggrin:

Well , the people who want smoked could also tint them on their own.

Now that's using the ol' noggin, everybody wins! I like the SLK ones very much. The reason I like the frosted but not clear ones is that it matches the turn signals in the front bumper and these are aligned with those slots visually.

Now that's using the ol' noggin, everybody wins! I like the SLK ones very much. The reason I like the frosted but not clear ones is that it matches the turn signals in the front bumper and these are aligned with those slots visually.
The small frost that you see in the original turn signals is from the bulb diffuser. The diffuser that comes off white in the proto appears to be reflective (like the red reflector in your tail lens). They are different. The signal lamp diffuser is not nearly as frosty.

I'm advocating something in the middle between white frost and total clear. Something exactly like OEM below. Folks are right on here - total clear looks cheap. To me total frost looks cheap. But you need to listen to the folks on here who will buy and I think total frost wins :)

Borrowed this pic from a recent for sale ad. Notice the lack of frost but it's clearly not clear. (oh boy.. my ability to articulate is going down the tubes with this post)
DSC02296.jpg

Anyway, unsubscribing so you guys can focus on development of this product! Thanks for the effort OP.

Last edited:

I'd prefer a little more smoked than your current prototype.

I think you'll find this is the consensus. How about a poll?

I think someone mentioned this before but maybe you can just produce them clear/frosted (personally I like the prototype ver) and the people that want them smoked can do it themselves to their satisfaction with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Vans-VAN3400-Smoke-Lens-Spray/dp/B001467I3G

That way people can make it as dark or as light as they want. You could even take a batch to a body shop and have it smoked there.

I am in for a set of the smoked one's

I'm still working on this project.

I just got a hold of a set of porsche, acura tl, and jetta dark smoke side markers. I am sending them to my manufacture to see what they can do.

They are not sure if they can change it without another large investment from me. That would make the price closer the competitor pricing. This was exactly what I was trying to avoid. I want the price to be reasonable to most members.

I'm still hopeful that I can work something out with the manufacture. I'll try to keep the price down and do my best to accomodate your wishlist.

But as it stand now, the side marker will only come in one color and it will only be for the fronts. I will have to see if I can make most of my money back from the front sets, before I commit to the rear sets.

I will have a price very soon.

I'm still working on this project.

The factory in Taiwan is off for Chinese New Year. New Year is Feb. 14. this year. I will have to wait until they get back. I'm guessing I won't hear back from them until at least the end of Feb.

As soon as I know anything, I will post it here.

As far as a smoke look, I do have smoke Overlays for the sidemarkers :). When I get my set of clears, I'm going to smoke them with my Overlay :).

Bat™

Back