• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dali Racing Spring Mountain Track Event May 7, 2011

If I was out in Cali, I would sign up to go just to meet Mark Johnson in person

Whats the policy on spectators? And possibly hoping to ride along with someone. I'll have my own helmet, and i'm guessing the $10 a head fee? I'm interested in tracking my NSX, but I have never even been on a ride-a-long and don't know if I'm quite ready for driving on the track yet...I would really love to get the experience of riding along though.

Whats the policy on spectators? And possibly hoping to ride along with someone. I'll have my own helmet, and i'm guessing the $10 a head fee? I'm interested in tracking my NSX, but I have never even been on a ride-a-long and don't know if I'm quite ready for driving on the track yet...I would really love to get the experience of riding along though.

Anyone can spectate.
All you need for a ridealong is a helmet and a willing participant with an empty passenger seat. Most everyone will be happy to do that.

Don’t count yourself out in participating in the HPDE, although it appears to be too late for this particular event. I participated in the HPDE at NSXPO in Las Vegas (at SMMR) as a newbie. I posted on prime for help as a newbie and I received many recommendations and racing links. If you are interested, I can send you links to the applicable threads. Although I was a little nervous about driving on the track, and was a little taken back during the first two sessions on the first day, it was not too long before I really began to enjoyed the experience, a lot!!!!!!

Good Luck,

Mario

I will be happy to do some ride a longs for those that want to go out.

Anyone can spectate.
All you need for a ridealong is a helmet and a willing participant with an empty passenger seat. Most everyone will be happy to do that.

My pleasure.
Would also be my pleasure to ride with you as well.

I'd love to go out with you Coz! Would also appreciate if maybe you rode along with me as well for a lap or two.

That really depends on the tire you use.

I use Toyo R-888's and start off with 30-32 cold. Then check them when they are hot.

Hot wise I look for 35/36 and adjust from there.

From the Toyo Rep:

VEHICLE WEIGHT COLD PRESSURE HOT PRESSURE
Very Light < 800kg 17 - 22 psi 22 - 29 psi
Light 800kg - 1000kg 20 - 26 psi 24 - 32 psi
Heavy 1000kg - 1400kg 23 - 27 psi 28 - 40 psi
Very Heavy > 1400kg 27 - 35 psi 37 - 40 psi

The cold pressure you set to achieve a desired hot pressure will depend on the conditions on the day i.e. ambient and track temperature, wet or dry. If the day/track is cold you will need to start with a higher cold pressure as the tire will not get as hot therefore the pressure increase will not be so great.

Hot pressures must be balanced side to side. Once the tires have cooled you will find that you will have a difference in pressure side to side, if you have been racing on a right hand track you will find the offside pressures will usually be higher than the nearside.

Changing hot inflation pressures by small amounts can be used to fine tune handling.

Reduce Oversteer: Reduce rear pressures or increase front pressures
Increase Oversteer: Increase rear pressures or reduce front pressures
Reduce Understeer: Reduce front pressures or increase rear pressures
Increase Understeer: Increase front pressures or reduce rear pressures

Achieving the required tread temperatures will depend again on the conditions on the day i.e. ambient and track temperature, wet or dry.

What tire pressures are you guys running with to start?

Okay, I just confirmed with Mark that he can get me on since I was on the waiting list. I just got some Project Mu street/track pads and going to put them on tomorrow, and hope I have enough tires.

Regan, lets caravan there.

I would love to have someone show me a lap or two in my car, too. I am a little nervous since I am a newbie.

Another NSX, very cool !

No worries....we have 7+ hours of track time.
Many of us will be happy to ride with you and take you out for a ride as well.

Okay, I just confirmed with Mark that he can get me on since I was on the waiting list. I just got some Project Mu street/track pads and going to put them on tomorrow, and hope I have enough tires.

I would love to have someone show me a lap or two in my car, too. I am a little nervous since I am a newbie.

Can I get a spot in this along with a rental car?
I saw this talked about in a Vegas thread and am going to be there this weekend.

Actually, what I meant to ask is if I can get in on this with a rental car?

As far as I know it's sold out.
But you could show up and see who doesn't show up which will create room.

Actually, what I meant to ask is if I can get in on this with a rental car?

Great event and really well organized. As a first timer, I was not intimated at all as everyone was really friendly and helpful in many ways especially Mark's crew. I will try hard to make it to the next one as I am hooked.

Jim (Coz), thanks for the ride in your beast. Enjoyed every sec of it.

What a wonderful track day. The track was never full and the most friendly group ever. It was like three days at the track, as I got 375 miles.

This track day was not motivated by profit but by a gift to all of us. Thank you Mark and your minions! Lance

Just got home today. Ended up running some more today (Sunday).

It was great meeting many of you I hadn't met before, and a pleasure taking those I had the chance to take out on track for a few laps.

We'll have to do this again.
Great job MJ.

Last edited:
My pleasure Hugo !
We will do it again, I'm sure.

Jim (Coz), thanks for the ride in your beast. Enjoyed every sec of it.

Last edited:
I'm sure you did Lance, you were non stop.
Who said NSX's weren't endurance cars :)

Great seeing you there.

What a wonderful track day. The track was never full and the most friendly group ever. It was like three days at the track, as I got 375 miles.

Back