• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Discount Tire Jacked up my rims!

onecrazydriver said:
I just got back from Discount Tires to have the Bridgestone Potenza RE 010 on all fours. They scraped the crap out of one of the rear wheels and lets marks on all four my gun metal finished OEM rims!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27339

I also had problem at America's Tire (same comany as Discount Tire)
Although no-one likes to have this problem in the first place, AT was really great about the repair - no compromises, sent the rims up to a Works importer & replaced the damged lips of the three-piece wheels with brand new (not refinish) & repainted the center spokes. Cost was ~$1500 incl new seals, remount & balance but they paid the shop directly. I just had to go pick them up when completed (although they would have re-shipped but I was sensitive about further damage from shipping).
The worst part was the down-time (exacerbated by Christmas /New Year) but the final result was worth waiting for.
All-in-all, nice recovery from a bad situation - no negotiation, ass-covering, whatever - simply took responsibility right up front. Even said if Iwasn't 100% satisfied they would replace if necessary. Can't ask for more than that.

The Other Version

I on the other hand, have been going to Discount Tire for six years for my NSX's tires.....never once had an issue, not even the most trivial, such as a mis-matched valve stem cap. For me, they have even ordered tires that they do not carry. While a bit of an "inconvenience" I follow Eric around to whatever store he is assigned to. Even if he is across town, an annual trek is no big deal. It is called building a relationship of trust. However, I have to disagree with the six-pack of beer idea.....rather a pitcher of margarita.

Update

Went back to Discount tires to get the tires mounted correctly.

The store manager looks at the fresh gashes and claims that there is no way that their machine could do the damage. Pieces of the gun mental finish are peeling off as he is rubbing on the scratches.

Then he tells me that they only use one wrench to pry the tires off. I was watching yesterday as the two kids where wrestling with my rims with a couple of wrenches to pry the tires off the rim.

He then spends the next 20 minutes in an attempt to remove the tire with one wrench. Finally, another guy comes over and the two of them finally manage to get the tire off.

He then offers a 15% discount on my next purchase. Needless to say, I'm not ever going back.

OneCrazy...I talked to Trey, is everything good on your end?

Folks, it appears that Todd has been manning the phones and coprorate is now aware of the issues raised on this forum.

I know this for a fact because my local shop called 15 minutes ago to resolve my issue - which was brought to their attention again today. When I asked, they also acknowledged receiving a call from corporate. I believe my pending issue will be resolved as initially promised. I will confirm once it is indeed finalized.

As an fyi, America's Tire Company (in California) and Discount Tire Direct are two separate divisions - in fact they are competitors of sort. For Todd to take such interest in resolving another division's issues is commendable.

Always fair and balanced.

Edit: correcting company names

Last edited:
I agree. I think Todd is doing an awesome job on this. Just think if every company that we dealt with had someone as dedicated to customer service as he is to his company. I think he's taken on quite a task of being P.R. for this company on issues that had nothing to do with him or the shops that he doesn't even work at. I know I couldn't handle all of the complaints made against the company I work for. But then again, I work in auto insurance, so I'm sure you could all unload on me in that area.:D

Hrant said:
Folks, it appears that Todd has been manning the phones and coprorate is now aware of the issues raised on this forum.

I know this for a fact because my local shop called 15 minutes ago to resolve my issue - which was brought to their attention again today. When I asked, they also acknowledged receiving a call from corporate. I believe my pending issue will be resolved as initially promised. I will confirm once it is indeed finalized.

As an fyi, America's Disount Tire and Discount Tire Direct are two separate divisions - in fact they are competitors of sort. For Todd to take such interest in resolving another division's issues is commandable.

Always fair and balanced.

Thank you. No need to think I am going above and beyond anymore than I would do on a normal occasion. What you are witnessing from me, is a company wide attitude that everyone should, and will have. If not, they will be weeded out. As disturbing as it is to hear that someone has a damaged product, its even more disturbing to know that an inadequate job is being done. We will do everything in our power to recify it.

On another note, there are ALOT more people involved here than just me. I will pass on your kind words, and your concerns as well.

OneCrazy...Im getting conflicting stories, so rather than going back & forth...can you please call Andrew Martinez here in our Customer Care Dept? Hes awaiting your call.
888-459-4080 ext 143

Americas Tire, Discount Tire, Discount Tire Direct are all owned by one man. In essence we are the same company although there are occasions where someone will go one place or the other...we are ultimately working towards the same goal of the best customer service and experience you can receive, hands down.

AndyVecsey said:
If nobody bothered to even read this thread, would you still feel vented? Does a falling tree in the forest still make noise if nobody is around to hear it? :cool:

Only if it falls on the bear taking a crap there. :)

Armando

I just got back from Discount Tire not 20 minutes ago having two rear tires replaced. No problems at all. I only wish we still got our NSXCA discount.

just got back

I just had my new iForge rims put on at another local DT. The guy I had put them on was very attentive and actually took precautionary steps to ensure the safety of my rims. I saw 3 cars come and go next to mine, only because he took so much time to get the jod done right. Todd, if you read this Ill PM you his name. If there is any kind of compinsation or good service award, please inform his manager of my complete satisfaction. He spent 2 1/2 hour just on my car. I was two feet from him the whole time, but he was very compitent. Just to clarify my earlier rant, It was another store on the other side of town. The one on 290 and Holister. Thats the store that screwed me. The store on Old Katy Rd. and Kirkwood, that store was awesome!!!

Thanks Todd for your dedication to your companys HR interest as well to the general public.

Patrick

I brought in to my local DT two wheels to have 2 BFGs mounted on (bought the tires at the store). After 1.5 hours I pick them up and put them on my NSX. From 40-90 mph the front tires vibrate like they're not even balanced. I bring back the whole car and stand next to the guy to see first hand what the problem is. The guy working on my wheels calls me to pay attention to the weights that the previous guy used... they were balanced statically and not dynamically and the guy there rebalanced them just fine for me. No vibrations now whatsoever. Bottom line, the first time I brought the wheels in, they were running to short on time and the mounter decided to "save" 3 minutes by not doing the correct balancing. He ended up waisting over an hour of my time, and about 1/2 hour to the next guy that had to do the job right... :rolleyes:

If you're in California, to clarify:

America's Tire Company is the same as Discount Tire Company.

Discount Tire Centers is the competitor to Discount Tire Company (in California only, since that's is where they are based out of).

I told you guys/gals Discount Tire Company is the best!

Last edited:
Discount Tire is really clueless about most NSX stuff. I had them put together a wheel and tire package for me and they were running 205's in front and 225's in rear on 17 AND 18 INCH WHEELS!! Ummmm...guys, that will be underloaded by so much it is scary!! :eek:

Todd@DiscountTire said:
And Im back!

Guys....to those of you who have had problems/issues in this thread, if you wouldnt mind please email [email protected]

He is part of our customer care dept and he would like to know the store locations you were at so that he can forward this to the appropriate sources and get some resolve for you. Again, we believe in the 'experience' and do not want any of you to feel let down.

stuff like this makes me glad i bought my set of tires from discount tires. i will be going to them again when i need new ones.

good looking out!

Discount Tire

I had my last tires installed at Discount Tire, rear while coming home from NSXPO last fall in Las Vegas, fronts in Tigard, OR. In both experiences the service, and care were top notch. They let me pull the car in, carfully jacked the car up and did not put it on the lift. They let me check tire pressure and final torque of the lug nuts. All this while selling at a price that was better than 'online' once I pay to get the tires shipped, mounted and balanced. Plus, when I cracked a rim last winter and ran the right rear low, they were great with the warrenty replacement of the tire. I don't know about all the locations, but from my experience I will keep using my local shop. It really comes down to the local folks who do the work, Discount Tire is a chain which sets the prices, the local manager is the one who sets the tone for the store, find good people and stick with them.

I just got the call my Kumho MX tires are in, time to set up an appointment at Discount Tire to get them installed;) .

I have had great experiences with Discount. There was a store next to my office in Vegas, took all of my cars there. Did the NSX,
22s on an Escalade and the chrome MPars on my 750iL- no scratches, no probs. Once I bid on Ebay, they screwed up my bid, but made it right by selling me a entire wheel/tire set for my wife's M3 at cost. So, they have my biz.

What this does point out is, no matter what biz you are in, one idiot can ruin an important customer relationship. I am sure I got the great service from Discount in LV because the manager was hands on and seemed to give a sh*t.

I would go right to the home office of Discount with any problems as they have always been responsive for me. Perhaps they will take the hint and get rid of the local managers that dont have a clue. As a business owner, I know I am always appreciative of customers that complain, because I now have a chance to retain that customer with proper respone; a customer who has a bad exp and does not complain is usually lost forever. Everyone screws up occasionally, the measure of true service, IMHO, is how they are handled after the fact.

man

Daaam I thought I was the only one. Discount scratched all four of mine where it looked like they had been curbed. Ever since then I had front door service from the GM and 45% off on tires for each one of my vehicles. If they have all bays full my car gets rushed in front to get done before everyone elses.

sorry about all the DT screw ups

Update: my issue with America's Tire Company was resolved amicably and to my satisfaction - and as initially they offered to resolve it.

Many Thanks to Todd Holzworth for expediting the process.

Update as well. The manager of the store that I had problems with emailed me asking me to call him. I did. We went over the situation. He was very professional and offered to fix the situation. I'm very satisfied with the end customer service results on this issue. Thanks again Todd for all your help! You really grabbed the bull by the horns on this one! :D

Wow that is great! It's nice to see these stories with a happy ending. Everybody makes mistakes -- what matters is how they handle it. It is impressive when a company like that is so responsive to complaints on a message forum.

Ojas said:
...Guess what they do. I go inside to do the paperwork and am charged $10 more than I quoted (the guy on the phone apparently quoted me the wrong price). After going back and forth for a while, I said fine, whatever.

Essentially: 90 minutes later, the wheel and tires are loaded into my car, they use the wrong weights (oh well, I don’t have time to mess with it), I go home, realize they are mounted incorrectly. Argh. I go back to the shop (Would you believe I was pulled-over and got a ticket along the way?), ask them once again to be careful with my rims (I notice they seem to be doing their best to scratch them up), I wait 45 minutes. They are about to do the first wheel, they tell me I only brought in one center cap on the wheel and that I must have left the other at home. I said no, it must be in the shop. I wait 45 more minutes, the other wheel is done and they start loading into my car when I notice the center cap is still missing. I ask them if they looked for it, they said yes and insisted it was not on there when I brought the wheel in. I said look in your shop, I bet it’s next to the balancer. It was.

Over 3 hours to mount and balance 2 tires.

Did you get them to pay for the damage to the wheels or at least refund your money for the constant screw ups?? What did they say when they found your center cap?? ARGH!! :mad:

Repeated screw ups, no matter how good the damage control, is a reason to go elsewhere for sure. The old line is "once is chance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend" or something like that....

Vegas Boy said:
The old line is "once is chance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend" or something like that....
"They have a saying in Chicago: 'Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action.'"

- Ian Fleming, in Goldfinger

All I know is most of you have a lot more patience than I do. I yell at me fiance for riding up on a curb or scrubing hub caps. I would kill someone for scratching my 3000.00 dollar rims. We don't have a discount tire around here that I know about, but there are incompitent people that work at these places. I have a 65 mustang that is fully restored, and this guy puts it on the lift to do a tire job. As he was going up I noticed the car started tilting foward a little bit. I told him to let it back down and move the supports. His comment to me was " I know what I am doing". When the lift hit the top and locked the jolt made it start falling foward. Luckily I was standing near the fron and caught it as it was sitting there like a seasaw. We let it back down and started over. As he started back up with him I asked if it had of fell did he have 20,000 grand to replace my car. But what can you do, some people don't have enough sense to get out of the rain.!!!!!!!!!!

i guess these tales all go to show us one thing... A little unemployment is a good thing :p
Honestly, there are some people that cannot be productive additions to society, and so when they are forced to work, we have to deal w/ them

Back