• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

do you misuse words?

i'm amused when people misuse words... especially the word "ironic" (thank you alanis). i also find it funny when people say the wrong words all together like "should of" instead of "should have".

i came across a list of words and phrases commonly misused... after reading through it, i was humbled and realized i have no business mocking others' vernacular.

the list....

A.D. -anno domini means in the year of the Lord, so should come before the year: A.D. 2000; B.C. comes after the year: 32 B.C.
accomodate -should be accommodate
acronym -should be used only of initialisms that make pronounceable words, like radar or Nafta, not MRI or CIA
actionable -means that which is subject to legal action or litigation, and use should be restricted to law
aggravate -to worsen or increase in severity; does not mean to annoy or vex
agree -sometimes stripped of necessary prepositions; should be agree on, to or with, etc.
alright -should be all right
an -used before words, initials, etc., that have a vowel sound (regardless of the first letter): an MIA soldier; it is affected to use before historic and other words with a sounded initial h
anchors away -should be anchors aweigh
and/or -an ugly construction; state in some other way in newspaper writing
annoint -spelled with one n: anoint
anytime -not one word; spelled any time
approximate -often used unnecessarily for about to add false gravity to a statement
around -often used by consultants as a universal preposition in the erroneous belief that it sounds intelligent: problems around cost-cutting, questions around personnel issues
as follows -not to be used before colons, as it is unnecessary
as per -used often as an inelegant and lazy introduction: As per your request, …
as to whether -as to should be omitted
baited breath -should be bated
balls of brass -the expression is bulls of brass, or the brazen bulls that guarded the golden fleece
begs the question -the logical fallacy of petitio principii: assuming as the premise the very thing to be proved; does not mean prompts the question, as in Budget talks beg the question of deficits.
blatant -originally meant noisy, obstreperous; also means obviously objectionable; should not be used to mean obvious
calender -should be calendar
catholic -lower-case, means universal, not strict or conservative, the views of the church notwithstanding
caveat -means warning or caution, not exception, reservation or clarification
cheap -the thing bought is cheap, not its price; it is nonsense to say the price was cheap; so with expensive
chomp -the expression is champ at the bit
claim -should be used in the sense lay claim to, rather than as a synonym for argue or state
commentate -should be comment
could care less -should be couldn’s care less as in, nothing is less important
could of -should be could have
crescendo -the crescendo is the rising action in music, not the climax itself
data/media -these are plurals, though perhaps not for long
different than -incorrect; should always be different from
dilemna -should be dilemma; as well for trilemma, polylemma etc.; refers to a unavoidable choice between two unattractive options, not just any decision
disconnect -a verb; the noun is disconnection
due to -should follow a form of be or be attached to a noun; Due to budget constraints, there will be no Christmas party is incorrect; The cancellation was due to weather is correct
e.g. -exempli gratia: for example; used to introduce an example; requires a following comma, not necessary to italicize
et al. -means among others; when reading aloud, is read as among others rather than in Latin; not necessary to italicize
facet -refers to a face of a stone, not just any aspect of anything
feel badly -should be feel bad; linking verbs such as be, seem, smell, appear, feel, etc. take adjectives; an adverb would modify the manner in which you feel, not how you feel
forbid -should be followed by to, not from, in all its forms; forbade is pronounced forbad
forte -the e is silent when used to mean one’s strong point; it is sounded when used in the music sense

(even though i know the correct pronunciation of "forte" i still pronouce it "fortay" so people won't look at me funny)

frequent -robbed of its charm by overuse, and much misused; often illogically used to mean visit as a verb without regard to frequency
fulsome -means offensive through excess; not just a synonym for full or complete
gender -refers to the grammatical classification of a word only; sex is proper for male/female distinctions
graduate -a college takes this action, not a student, so one is graduated from college, one does not graduate college
grow -as a transitive verb, it should be restricted to agriculture: you can grow beets, but cannot grow the economy; however, the economy grew is correct
harass -accenting the first syllable is an affectation that grew out of the Clarence Thomas hearings
however -a sentence should still make sense if it is omitted
hypocrisy -feigning to be other and better than one is; assuming a false appearance or dissimulation of true nature or beliefs; not necessarily contradicting one’s words in one’s actions
i.e. -id est: that is; used to define, not to give an example; requires a following comma, not necessary to italicize
if and when -an ugly construction; usually the and when can be omitted
if I was -should be If I were; in conditional future (subjunctive), use the plural were even for singular nouns
immolate -to destroy or sacrifice, not necessarily by fire; does not mean set fire to
impact -often used as a verb, though it is properly a noun; the verb to use is affect or influence
impeach -to impugn or charge with a misdemeanor; does not mean to remove from office
inflammable -means the same as flammable: able to catch flame
intensive purposes -should be intents and purposes
ironic/irony -does not mean coincidental, counterintuitive, strangely appropriate, unexpected, or poetically just; it is where the literal meaning and the intended meaning are in opposition, as a light form of sarcasm, usually understood by part of the audience and at the expense of the rest; or, a turn of events that is the opposite, and as if in mockery, of what was to be expected
irregardless -no such word; use regardless
judgment -no e
just assume -should be just as soon
just deserts -spelled with one s because it is what is deserved
limpid -transparent, diaphonous; not a fancy synonym for limp
literally -does not mean very; means according to the literal meaning of words, not the figurative; if someone is literally a jackass then he has actually taken the form of donkey
livid -of a blue-leaden color, as if bruised
long-lived -means having a long life, long-lifed; should be pronounced like the adjective live, not the verb
lowest common denominator -a mathematical term, often incorrectly used to denote the worst or most base element: daytime t.v. appeals to the lowest common denominator
medieval -not spelled midevil or any other such way; eval means time or age
metaphysical -does not mean beyond physical, supernatural; speculative inquiry into the first principles of things, including such concepts as being, substance, essence, time, space, cause, identity, etc.
militate -to have weight or effect; usually used with against
millenium -spelled millennium, with two ns
mischievious -should be mischievous; pronounce without the third i,too
momento -should be memento
moot -open to discussion; academic or hypothetical (as in the practice sessions of law students); does not mean obviated by developments or circumstances; a moot point is still debatable, not rendered inconsequential
motivate -transitive, so it must take an object; I finally motivated to go out is a bad way to say I got off my arse; also, does not mean to state the motivation: Motivate your answer is an incorrect way to say Explain the reasoning behind your answer.
much to do -should be much ado about nothing
myself -should not be used to replace I or me; should only be used as a reflexive (action taken upon oneself: I kicked myself.) or intensive (for emphasis: I myself am honest.)
noisome -foul-smelling; harmful or injurious; related to annoy, not noise
nor -must be paired with neither, not in all negative constructions: he was not fat nor tall is incorrect
octupi -incorrect plural; the original Greek would be octopoda or octopodes, but octopuses is best
one in the same -should be one and the same
orientate -should be orient
peruse -to thoroughly examine or read; often misused to mean take a cursory look
plethora -a favorite word of the semiliterate; means undesirable overabundance, not simply a multitude; from the disease plethora, a morbid overabundance of blood
plus -should be limited to its mathematically sense, and not substituted for and or in addition to: it is wrong to say I met my dad plus my mom.
predominately -should be predominantly
reticent -often used too broadly; means quiet, reserved, not reluctant
seperate -should be separate
supposably -should be supposedly
the fact that -should be avoided as a way to cautiously abstract a condition: I hate the fact that she dates someone else. Omit the fact.
they -incorrectly used as a gender-neutral third person singular; avoid this use by rephrasing the sentence
this point in time -redundant; at this point or at this time is sufficient
transpire -to escape from secrecy; to become public: news quickly transpired; should not be used as a fancy alternative to happen or occur
try and -should be try to
upmost -should be utmost
utilize -often replaces use to vainly add gravity to a statement; use use
wet of an appetite -should be whet, meaning to sharpen or make more acute
whether or not -or not should be omitted
zoology -pronounced ZOH-ology, not ZOO-ology

The most puzzling and increasingly widespread misuse I have noticed in the last couple years is people who say "out of pocket" thinking it means "unavailable" -- I do not understand how that one got started because it doesn't even make sense.

Wow, very good information there.

I've found that remembering "i.e." is easy by just thinking "in effect."

Apostrophes

My beef is the misuse of the apostrohe. Aside from the ubiquitous "its/it's" problem, I'm seeing more and more people dropping the apostrophe in contractions and inserting it into plurals. You get abominations like:

"Im going to the movie's"

Argh.

OK, near on-topic: What's the proper plural for "NSX"? As a nerd, I prefer "NSXen", but others may differ...

Re: Apostrophes

flaminio said:
What's the proper plural for "NSX"? As a nerd, I prefer "NSXen", but others may differ...

NSXs according to
http://wps.ablongman.com/long_faigley_penguinhb_1/0,7325,506337-,00.html

here's a question that keeps me up at nights :D
if i use a verb after an acroym that represents something that is plural... do i use the singular form of the verb or the plural form?

for example:
MIS = management information systems (plural)

which is proper?
MIS is ...
MIS are ...

Last edited:
NetViper said:
Wow.. i gave up on reading that about 1/4 way..

I didn't even get that far!!

I'm gonna print this list out and give it to my students!!

Singular they is OK

nicholas421 said:
they -incorrectly used as a gender-neutral third person singular; avoid this use by rephrasing the sentence

This point is debatable. Singular "they" has been used as a gender neutral pronoun for literally centuries. For the longest time no one cared about this, until the rise of feminism in the 1960s. The hard-line grammarians put forth that "he" is the only appropriate third person gender neutral pronoun, while feminists and their sympathizers felt that this was inappropriate, and began looking for alternatives. Singular they is the best choice, because it doesn't require coining any new words, and has historical precedence. If it was good enough for Shakespeare and Chaucer, it's good enough for today's writing.

That said, the point about rephrasing the sentence is a good one, and preferable.

I am very impressed by your work Mr.Nicholas421. Mr.ForumsNazi or myself may be in touch about a full-time Grammar-Nazi position that has become available. :D

Now that everyone has read and memorized this thread, there is no excuse for bad grammar or typing errors. :D Violators will be shot. :D j/k

ajnsx said:
"Bloody hell, Jar Jar Binks is a forum member!"

Now that's funny!

"I read the first five sentences and then got a headache."

Hey it's long but it's better than those "what watch do you wear?" or "what suit do you wear?" threads. Sounds like a bunch of bloody birds and fancy Nancys.

Hey it's long but it's better than those "what watch do you wear?" or "what suit do you wear?" threads. Sounds like a bunch of bloody birds and fancy Nancys.

yes you're right old chap, i was referring more to my incredibly short attenti...........you get the picture ;)

nicholas421 said:
anytime -not one word; spelled any time
Please note that this is permitted to be spelled as a single word, ANYTIME, when referring either to a username on NSXprime, or to his business in NSX aftermarket components, Anytime Racing. :D

Back