• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

Malibu Rapper said:
They are coming out with a new NAV unit which is a hideaway module, probably HD based with a card slot for map upgrades. This unit is compatible with all the touchscreen units through the NAV input and can receive traffic from Clear Channel and XM.
Hey Bradley

Did the DV4100 get discontinued? Maybe I can get one for cheap now.

Did you sell you NSX. Don't see it listed any more.

SoCalDude said:
Did the DV4100 get discontinued? Maybe I can get one for cheap now. Did you sell you NSX. Don't see it listed any more.

Yep, the 4100 is discontinued, 510 is the way to go but 4100 works fine. I'm sure you'll find them on eBay for cheap in a few months. Still have the NSX but don't drive it much anymore...

I am going with the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Looks like it has it all, including 10gig of music storage. I will post pics when the job is done. Also going for XM for the real time traffic hookup......Steve

needspeed said:
I am going with the Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Looks like it has it all, including 10gig of music storage. I will post pics when the job is done. Also going for XM for the real time traffic hookup......Steve

Please keep us posted. :smile:

I am leaning on that one as well... i think i has reverse tilt... "The front panel is motorized to provide access to the hidden disc slots, and the default position can be set to any of 6 choices for the optimum viewing angle. "

Hoping that one of the 6 choices is reverse tilt :confused:

I ran into some problems with my new Pioneer unit I installed last night. I never had this problem with my Kenwood doubledin. I went with a Pioneer single pop out DVD player. I have to do the 1 click thing (on my ebrake) to allow it to play while driving.

Malibu Rapper,

I have a November 2005 Pioneer model. Cant recall the number but is there anyway I can skip that footbrake release/parking brake sequence? I will post what the model number is when I get home.

Man working on my S2000 is cake compared to the NSX. I have to learn stuff all over again, with everything.

Thanks

Malibu Rapper said:
Just installed the Alpine IVA-W200 in a friend's car tonight. It's an OK unit, not one I would choose with what's available right now. The video bypass procedure is more than just grounding a parking brake. It requires a combination of stepping on the footbrake releasing it as well as the parking brake in a sequence. I thought about wiring in a couple of switches to aid in the bypass but luckily I found out that PAC audio makes a trigger module that comes pre-programmed to cycle through this ridiculous procedure.

IPOD control with the full speed cable is good. No reverse tilt, screen quality is OK but very prone to glare. It has a dimmer that has a light sensor to automatically adjust the brightness of the screen, it leaves the screen too dim in the dark.

EndlessNSX said:
Malibu Rapper,

I have a November 2005 Pioneer model. Cant recall the number but is there anyway I can skip that footbrake release/parking brake sequence? I will post what the model number is when I get home.

Is it a sequence with both footbrake and parking brake? What is that sequence? If so, u can either wire up switches or probably program the Pac Audio TR7 device to do it. This device is very clever and be programmed to perform a wide range of tasks. Reading the programming guide nearly gave me a headache, luckily it comes configured to bypass the Alpines by default and it's a 5 wire hookup.

http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/instructions.asp?mmSearch=TR-7

If I have the e-brake up it plays videos, while parked. When it goes down then it stops and a "cant drive with DVD player on" warning comes on then I pull up the e-brake about 1 click and it says something then I press "ok" and I am good to go, however the red brakelight remains on. This is while I am driving.

Malibu Rapper said:
Is it a sequence with both footbrake and parking brake? What is that sequence? If so, u can either wire up switches or probably program the Pac Audio TR7 device to do it. This device is very clever and be programmed to perform a wide range of tasks. Reading the programming guide nearly gave me a headache, luckily it comes configured to bypass the Alpines by default and it's a 5 wire hookup.

http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/instructions.asp?mmSearch=TR-7

EndlessNSX said:
If I have the e-brake up it plays videos, while parked. When it goes down then it stops and a "cant drive with DVD player on" warning comes on then I pull up the e-brake about 1 click and it says something then I press "ok" and I am good to go, however the red brakelight remains on. This is while I am driving.

Ok, you just want to ground the parking brake wire then. Easy fix. Splice the parking brake wire from the stereo into the ground wire on the stereo harness or if you have the wire all the way out next to the parking brake, you can find a point to ground it nearby.

Thanks for the info.:smile:

Malibu Rapper said:
Ok, you just want to ground the parking brake wire then. Easy fix. Splice the parking brake wire from the stereo into the ground wire on the stereo harness or if you have the wire all the way out next to the parking brake, you can find a point to ground it nearby.

Steve I am thinking of the same unit. What are you doing for the rest of the system? I really am curious as to how this looks in the dash. I am very adamant about keeping things looking stock but after long research I have decided that the factory Bose system, the entire thing has to go. Its just too much to keep that thing and add doo-dads to make it functional at all.

I am thinking of a Pioneer (I will get the exact list of items they are suggesting) unit: CD/DVD/NAV/iPod/bluetooth/satelite radio. The installer said that disconnecting/jumping the parking brake lead will allow it to display DVD's while driving. It is a double din height unit. My concern is the installation position. Even thought the screen is anti-glare, I think there could be too much glare to see the screen when I remove the t-top.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Also, does anyone have any pictures they can post of their installation? Thanks!

Any unit will have issues with glare especially because of the angled position in the NSX. Different screens will be less prone to glare or can offset it with brighter screen output. The more vertical the screen, the less glare you will have. On a sunny day with the top off, viewing the screen is going to be a challenge. You learn to live or deal with it. If you have a screen with reverse tilt that can help a lot!

I think your installer is mistaken if he thinks grounding the parking brake is going to fool that Pioneer if it's any of the newer units. It's been mentioned before that they use a gyroscope. From this thread here, it appears that there is a backdoor by pulsing illumination 3 times. Pac TR7 module to the rescue again if you want to have it automatically bypassed each time.

sjones said:
is there a single unit that handles, playing dvd's, does navigation, built in HD to store music, sirius satellite radio, rear camera output, and a big plus would be to have blue tooth and work with a security system.

Since were on this topic.....Is there a head unit and a monitor that can do everything listed above, but utilizing the oem Nav. pod for the screen that best suit this setup?

Last edited:
NMYMIRR said:
Since were on this topic.....Is there a head unit and a monitor that can do everything listed above, but utilizing the oem Nav. pod for the screen that best suit this setup?

What do you mean "OEM" nav pod?

Do you guys realize you CAN watch DVD's on the pioneer when parked? I don't understand the big concern and the mods to allow you to watch while moving. If you are, man I really don't want to be on the same road as you. If its for the passenger, just hit 8000 RPM's and take a sharp corner at Mach II and I guarantee you the last thing they will be looking at is the DVD screen.

So whats the big deal? Can someone tell me why they need to watch DVD's while driving? Am I missing something?

TURBO2GO said:
Can someone tell me why they need to watch DVD's while driving? Am I missing something?
A quick off-topic comment:
I do not need to but do enjoy listening to all my concert DVDs while driving. Numerous song renditions are not available on the albums and extracting the DVD audio to a CD or file just isn't worth it to me.

Malibu Rapper said:
It's for the passenger. Also if you have music video DVDs, it's nice to be able to see the menu to control it at a stoplight without having to pull over and park.

Why would you want your passenger watching a movie while you are driving? I am not being sarcastic, I am really asking... is being with the driver that boring? What happened to good old conversation?

personally I'd feel weird if I was driving and my passenger was s disinterested that they wanted to watch a movie.

TURBO2GO said:
Why would you want your passenger watching a movie while you are driving? I am not being sarcastic, I am really asking... is being with the driver that boring? What happened to good old conversation?

personally I'd feel weird if I was driving and my passenger was s disinterested that they wanted to watch a movie.

Depends on the passenger right? :) Maybe I'd rather not talk to or even hear from some of them. :) I've definitely been in that boat... Also, some of the drivers that annoy me the most are the ones in a conversation and they end up being a nuisance on the road because they can't talk and drive at the same time.

Some of the best music I have is on live concert recordings. Some owners have kids. Long drives. There are lots of reasons...

TURBO2GO said:
One of these Nav Pod

I plan to have one to go with my Kenwood 7015 at some point. Going to hook up a rear camera to it.

I see. Well I know of at least one guy that hit someone else and killed them. He was not watching a movie at the time. But somehow they found out that he had a working DVD unit in the car. It came up in trial and they were charging him with a different charge as a result.

I also know some installers that stopped doing it because they became aware of some serious lawsuits. I think Pioneer is trying to cover their ass with the way they modded the new units.

If you mess with this, I hope you seriously think about the consequences of you may be faced with in case of an unfortunate accident. I mean I truly felt bad for this guy with the DVD... he was up shits creek. I just don't want anyone really screwing themselves because they wanted to entertain a passenger.

SoCalDude said:

OK I know what that is... I guess the "OEM" threw me off. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) is factory. This pod is not OEM. Right?

TURBO2GO said:
... This pod is not OEM. Right?
Wrong. Honda OEM part (Japan JDM, where the Nav is available factory option)

p.s. comes in Honda bags with the Honda part numbers on them
If you look at the pics on the SOS link given, you can actually see the red Honda label on the bag & the logo on the pod that says "Honda Navigation System"
(part of the kit that comes with the pod includes the special duct adapter to connect to the main duct - it's smaller for the new grille)

TURBO2GO said:

I'm refering to the Honda JDM GPS Navigation System pod. As shown here at SOS >>> http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/display%5Fpod/ I want to use this Honda JDM GPS Navigation System pod to house a monitor that someone here can recommend and also a head unit that goes well with it.

Again, I would like this setup to be able to handle, playing dvd's, does navigation, built in HD to store music, rear camera output, ipod capabilites, and a big plus would be to have blue tooth and work with a security system. Any recommendations that someone here have tried or are using? This sounds like something that Ken (D'Ecosse) have in his car. So Ken, what system do you have in your car? After all you're the prime guru on this. Inquiring mind wants to know.

Last edited:
NMYMIRR said:
Again, I would like this setup to be able to handle, playing dvd's, does navigation, built in HD to store music, rear camera output, ipod capabilites, and a big plus would be to have blue tooth and work with a security system. Any recommendations that someone here have tried or are using? This sounds like something that Ken (D'Ecosse) have in his car. So Ken, what system do you have in your car? After all you're the prime guru on this. Inquiring mind wants to know.

Not single DIN - but if you are thinking of using the NAV pod not necessary:

As you probably know, I'm an Alpine advocate - at least as far as the Media input devices are concerned;
The Alpine DVA-9965 covers most of your requirements but does require some additional interface devices as well as the Nav system & Touch screen - all together makes for a pretty expensive syetem, but powerful media center.

Back