• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

Guys isn't the factory radio double din? I thought it was... is it like 1 1/2 or something?

NMYMIRR said:
I'm refering to the Honda JDM GPS Navigation System pod. As shown here at SOS >>> http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/interior%5Fperformance%5Fproducts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/display%5Fpod/ I want to use this Honda JDM GPS Navigation System pod to house a monitor that someone here can recommend and also a head unit that goes well with it.

QUOTE]

This pod looks silver in the picture on the dash, and is black on the part. My 05 has the silver dash... would you have to paint this thing to match? is there a paint we can get some place that is a perfect match? I don't want to be walking around home depot looking for dash paint. Maybe Chris at SOS can she some light? D'ecosse, do you know?

TURBO2GO said:
Guys isn't the factory radio double din? I thought it was... is it like 1 1/2 or something?
Double DIN it is.

TURBO2GO said:
This pod looks silver in the picture on the dash, and is black on the part. My 05 has the silver dash... would you have to paint this thing to match? is there a paint we can get some place that is a perfect match?

Mine is red! :biggrin:

5957DSC_0066A.jpg

Yes it will require to be painted if you want it to match your console. You only want to do around the face perimeter and leave the main body (which has a rough texture) black.

I don't know what the factory colour is but my recommendation would be to have a body shop do it for you. I originally painted mine with an aerosol can along with my console in Honda Graphite Grey from Duplicolor cans: it looked really nice ...... for a while! However in the baking hot sun one day it bubbled. Since having the professionals paint it in red & clearcoat, there have been no problems.

One more note, regarding mounting - you are supposed to screw it down through the top of your dash (punching holes right through the top finish!). Mine has just been sitting in place with no real issues or movement without resorting to such violence!

Thanks for the info. So tell me then why do you need this if the car has a double din opening already? why not just put a double din nav there? Because of glare? I definitely don't want to be putting screws into the top of the dash... wow that is insane.

TURBO2GO said:
So tell me then why do you need this if the car has a double din opening already? why not just put a double din nav there? Because of glare? I definitely don't want to be putting screws into the top of the dash... wow that is insane.
I'm going with the pod just so I can put a rear camera in although you can use the screen on the Kenwood for that purpose as well. I just want to use two screens simultaneously. You will have less glare during the day on the pod screen due to the angle it sits. My in-dash is the DVD player and Nav (when I get that component).

Just personal choice - don't care for the location down in the console and prefer the pod approach & less cluttered aesthetics of the single DIN. The Alpine head unit offered many of the audio tuning features I wanted, like time alignment even in the previous generation I have to the 9965 linked above.
I'm not saying don't do a double DIN integrated screen - that's the theme of this thread after all - just responding to the question of the alternatives with a remote screen in a NAV POD

D'Ecosse said:
Not single DIN - but if you are thinking of using the NAV pod not necessary:

As you probably know, I'm an Alpine advocate - at least as far as the Media input devices are concerned;
The Alpine DVA-9965 covers most of your requirements but does require some additional interface devices as well as the Nav system & Touch screen - all together makes for a pretty expensive syetem, but powerful media center.

I like Alpine myself as a first choice preference. So are you using this particular head unit in your car?

D'Ecosse said:

5957DSC_0066A.jpg

What is the model number and screen size on this Alpine monitor you have in the Navi pod? I'm really considering doing a similar setup as you have to achieve that clean oem look without blocking the vents. Nice screen shot btw. What were you watching!?!? :biggrin:

NMYMIRR said:
I like Alpine myself as a first choice preference. So are you using this particular head unit in your car?

I actually have the previous generation to that model - many of the same features - the DVA-7996

5957DSC01359_Medium_.JPG

D'Ecosse said:

5957DSC_0066A.jpg

Yes it will require to be painted if you want it to match your console. You only want to do around the face perimeter and leave the main body (which has a rough texture) black.

I don't know what the factory colour is but my recommendation would be to have a body shop do it for you. I originally painted mine with an aerosol can along with my console in Honda Graphite Grey from Duplicolor cans: it looked really nice ...... for a while! However in the baking hot sun one day it bubbled. Since having the professionals paint it in red & clearcoat, there have been no problems.

Didn't notice the what was on your monitor until now.:biggrin:

How much did it cost you to have the console painted?

SoCalDude said:
Didn't notice the what was on your monitor until now.:biggrin:

How much did it cost you to have the console painted?

Beware of low flying objects appearing in your rear-view cam!!!

I think from memory it was $160 for the console, ash-tray cover, Nav-Pod & the two door trim pieces.
I prepped & they just colour & clear coated (parts already all off the car of course).

guys...can someone recommend me a double din that has it all in one unit. DVD, nav, mp3, cd, etc. without having a bunch of external readers and such. I like to keep it simple cuz our cars have no room for anything.

thanks.

As a general reference to those considering an in-console double din screen, I just worked on a car with a Kenwood Excelon and have some feedback.

While the features were quite nice, the angle of screen in the same plane as the sloping console was just simply horrible. You could not see the video features on the screen clearly because of the angle while seated normally - you had to lean forward & down to have your view be perpendicular to the screen, to see the display as intended. (Similar to what happens with your Laptop LCD if the screen is not aligned perfectly to your field of view) It looked oK on the set-up controls, but when a video DVD played, just gave really poor image unless you cricked your back & neck substantially. This was the same for me (short-arse) and the owner who is >6'.
Now the Kenwood had a wonderful 6 position tilt feature - only problem is that none of them tilted the direction it would need to go to correct the problem! :frown:

I would expect this to be a common situation with any screen located in the console at that angle (should not be confined to Kenwood). It simply wasn't acceptable IMO.

Just something for your consideration.

octechgeek said:
guys...can someone recommend me a double din that has it all in one unit. DVD, nav, mp3, cd, etc. without having a bunch of external readers and such. I like to keep it simple cuz our cars have no room for anything.

thanks.
Eclipse 7000, 5500, 5495.

D'Ecosse said:
While the features were quite nice, the angle of screen in the same plane as the sloping console was just simply horrible.

Yep, it glares when out in the light and it's not optimal. But it's really liveable if you don't watch movies while you're driving out during the day. On the Kenwood, the trick is to turn your brightness and contrast all the way up, it makes a huge difference. The Eclipse units of the same era have a brighter screen so there's slightly less of a problem with glare.

You'd be surprised though, my friend has a GMC Suburban with an DDX8017 and during he complains about glare even though he's practically head on. I have another friend with an Acura Integra with the Alpine IVA-W200 and complains about the same thing. The Integra has the deck down lower and he angles it up. I've even seen glare on screens in the OEM navpod. I've got a 32" Sharp Aquos LCD TV in my bedroom that I have glare problems with so I have to close my blinds. I think there's a fundamental problem with LCD screens in general. Certain color temperatures are also worse than others. Ever try to use a laptop outside?

*EDIT* Realized your post wasn't about glare but angle on the screen. Reverse tilt is the only solution for that. And even with reverse tilt, you are still on the side of the screen which is not as good as being head on. Even on the angle, the picture is not that bad though.

Now the Kenwood had a wonderful 6 position tilt feature - only problem is that none of them tilted the direction it would need to go to correct the problem! :frown:

There are a couple units like the new Kenwood DDX6019 and I think the Jensen that can do reverse tilt. That will help but not eliminate the problem altogether. Light comes from a lot of angles. If your deck does not have reverse tilt, it helps to recess and angle the deck more vertical like I did in my install.

Other than that, it really is not that bad because I'm rarely watching movies out in daylight and I can still control the unit without a problem, even with the top off. Small price to pay for the clean double DIN install and look. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat and I personally wouldn't go with anything except double DIN for the NSX.

Last edited:
Malibu Rapper said:
*EDIT* Realized your post wasn't about glare but angle on the screen. Reverse tilt is the only solution for that...
Correct, there was no glare and reverse tilt the only saving for this problem - this was inside a shop in the evening with only a few lights on, so was quite subdued inside the cabin.
Everyone asks about glare & I just want to be sure potential users are also aware of this issue.

Other than that, it really is not that bad because I'm rarely watching movies out in daylight and I can still control the unit without a problem, even with the top off. Small price to pay for the clean double DIN install and look. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat and I personally wouldn't go with anything except double DIN for the NSX
I personally wouldn't consider anything other than the remote monitor in the NAV Pod solution! :biggrin:

(Incidentally I don't actually watch movies when driving anyway)

Seriously - even for Nav, IMO it is much more practical (& safer) to have the screen up at dash level so you are still actually viewing the road as opposed to looking down at the console, which takes your eyes completely from the road (unless you can do the frog thing & just rotate only one of them down<!--StartFragment -->
hysterical.gif
).

But it all comes down to personal taste in the end & we're all different there - no right or wrong, just whatever suits.

D'Ecosse said:
Seriously - even for Nav, IMO it is much more practical (& safer) to have the screen up at dash level so you are still actually viewing the road as opposed to looking down at the console, which takes your eyes completely from the road (unless you can do the frog thing & just rotate only one of them down<!--StartFragment -->
hysterical.gif
).

But it all comes down to personal taste in the end & we're all different there - no right or wrong, just whatever suits.

Safer or less dangerous? I have this female friend with a G35 Nav coupe and it's bad enough she doesn't know north vs. south, but when she's looking at that high mounted pop out screen and driving, lookout! No one should be looking at that thing while the car is moving, I wonder how many accidents have been a result of OEM navigation systems.

Malibu Rapper said:
Safer or less dangerous? ...
Good point ........
Let's ban cell phones too - at least non-hands-free units. I have a bluetooth ear-set and feel at least somewhat responsible.
Hate to stereotype (no pun intended!), but the soccer Moms in SUVs are the WORST!!!!

D'Ecosse said:
I personally wouldn't consider anything other than the remote monitor in the NAV Pod solution! :biggrin:

(Incidentally I don't actually watch movies when driving anyway)

I concur. I don't watch movies while driving either. Just Maiden concert videos. :)

The phone is connected to a Nokia hands free kit using the old center channel speaker location between the seats. I swapped out the piece of crap Bose speaker for the one packaged with the Nokia as its frequency response is optimized for voice.

monitor1.jpg

Geez, am I slow or what!!! I just realized the image on your rear view cam, Ken.:smile:

Talk about objects may be closer than they appear.....

Has anyone tried the Valor NVG-670WT? Features wise that thing has it all except for the reverse tilt. I can't find any reviews or feedback on this unit at all. which is the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger on one.

One of the great things with these Made in China brands is how they put everything together, and offer them at such a low price. However, the drawbacks were the GUI always took a hit. Everything just looked so horrible. And who knows about the quality of the components used to build the units. Of the few reviews and descriptions I did find, some people stated that the GUI on the nvg-670wt was actually decent. And quoted here by one reputable ebay seller "This model uses the Zoran LSI chip, which is normally only used in high end home theater systems. This chip is known by audio experts to be the best on the market!"

The ddx6019 is great, but everything is optional. Optional this, optional that. I'm the type of person who probably would be happy with the ddx6019, for about a month, and probably end up buying all the optional stuff like nav, tv tuner, bluetooth, ipod and stuff later. Kind of like how I said I'd be happy with the NSX stock, then I started buying rims,springs, hid's etc etc etc

My post above is a Kenwood JDM pod install. Here

sgvnsxrated said:
Has anyone tried the Valor NVG-670WT? Features wise that thing has it all except for the reverse tilt. I can't find any reviews or feedback on this unit at all. which is the only reason i haven't pulled the trigger on one.

One of the great things with these Made in China brands is how they put everything together, and offer them at such a low price. However, the drawbacks were the GUI always took a hit. Everything just looked so horrible. And who knows about the quality of the components used to build the units. Of the few reviews and descriptions I did find, some people stated that the GUI on the nvg-670wt was actually decent. And quoted here by one reputable ebay seller "This model uses the Zoran LSI chip, which is normally only used in high end home theater systems. This chip is known by audio experts to be the best on the market!"

The ddx6019 is great, but everything is optional. Optional this, optional that. I'm the type of person who probably would be happy with the ddx6019, for about a month, and probably end up buying all the optional stuff like nav, tv tuner, bluetooth, ipod and stuff later. Kind of like how I said I'd be happy with the NSX stock, then I started buying rims,springs, hid's etc etc etc

Zorin and LSI are two different companies, actually competitors. LSI abandoned the DVD player chip market because Zorin was undercutting them so bad they couldn't compete so they moved on to DVD recorder chips... Zorin has now followed. I believe Zorin is actually an inferior/cheaper chip than the LSI.

Here is my Double DIN (Alpine W200) and OEM nav pod (TME-M760) contribution. I used to have the same nav pod set up with a Alpine 7996 like Ken had. One reason why I went this Double DIN route is for the touch control, and also since I was entering this car at local car shows I needed a little "Bling":biggrin: Anyway, one great thing I like about this double monitor set up is I can route different sources to each screen. As most already know the W200 as well as the TME-M760 has navigation inputs (I'm adding the Alpine Blackbird later), so I wanted the ability to have the navigation (When I get it) high in the OEM nav pod location. Also, the reverse camera is connected to the nav pod monitor for a more in line of sight view. I wont go into too long details but with this set up you can route pretty much any source (DVD, nav, PS2) to any monitor you choose. Also, you can keep the navigation up top when you need it, and your passenger can watch a movie if they want. Anyway, like I mentioned, I did it mostly to add a but more flare for the car shows.

original.jpg

Back