• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

Pioneer announced the AVIC-D3 recently. See this release article. Looks like it will be a great option with Divx support, direct connect IPOD (ie. full speed), NAV, bluetooth A2DP (to stream music over bluetooth), AVRCP to control different media devices. Only drawback I see so far is a 6.1" screen.

CES is coming up soon. Things that will be hot in the upcoming units will be full speed IPOD, bluetooth, AVRCP, and Divx. The Pioneer has it all.

Right now, all the bluetooth add on boxes suck. The basic functionality of turning off the audio and using hands free is fine in most cases. But the big problem now is handling address books, displaying caller ID info, etc. Each unit has its drawbacks and they all suck right now so I'd hold off on Bluetooth unless you gotta have it.

New for 2007

Kenwood has 3 new units so far.

DDX8019
DDX8019.jpg

More info on this deck can be found in the 2007 catalog here. Basically it builds upon the DDX6019 by adding USB (2 ports) and DivX. The trend in controlling Ipods now is to go over USB (I believe this is for 5th gen Ipods) and this unit also supports video Ipod. Will work with the Plays for Sure standard. You can attach mass storage devices such as memory sticks, card readers, etc. Other enhancements are a new GUI and customizable wallpaper from photos. Reverse tilt.

DDX-7019
DDX7019_K.jpg

Basically the 8019 except because it's not Excelon it only has 2v preamps instead of 5v, one video input instead of 2, and single USB port. Has reverse tilt.

Kenwood DNX-7100
DNX7100_K.jpg

Kenwood's all in one solution. This is a DDX7019 with NAV built in. NAV is stored on an SD card. Current street price around $1199.

Alpine IVA-W205
PMD-B200_w_IVA-W205_270x208.jpg

You can see in the picture that the W205 swallows the new Blackbird instead of using the docking cradle. Value priced at $899 it could be a good option. Details still sketchy at this point and hopefully they have added equalization.

Pioneer AVIC-D3
pioneer.jpg

My previous post on 11-9-2006 didn't have a picture so I thought I would add this. Ipod control needs the CD-I200 cable which I believe is similar to fullspeed for Alpine. Fixed face so it doesn't tilt. This is a good unit and the only drawback I see is the small screen size, 6.1".

Last edited:
Re: New for 2007

Alpine IVA-W205
PMD-B200_w_IVA-W205_270x208.jpg

You can see in the picture that the W205 swallows the new Blackbird instead of using the docking cradle. Value priced at $899 it could be a good option. Details still sketchy at this point and hopefully they have added equalization.

Wow, this looks good. I'm hoping they add some sort of A/V expandability like the D310 with the VPE-S431. I think I found my next 2DIN deck:biggrin:

Why not wait for the Pioneer AVIC-D3?

Under $1000 with DVD Nav, video, iPod + video iPod.. double din and it has the most factory look of any nav.

There is a audio/video jack up front that lets you plug in audio AND video sources.

The most impressive thing is that you can can set the button and LCD menu colors to match your interior. It has RGB adjustment for illumination.

Sat, Bluetooth, and backup cam are options.

This is the unit I'm going to be putting into my Civic Hybrid and my NSX (as soon as I finally pick another one up).

I show a distributor price of ~$750 on that unit, when it hits the street, that should be eBay going rate. Small screen but hard to beat that price range. Also only a single slot for the NAV and DVD player so you have to remove the NAV dvd if you want to play optical media. If you want bluetooth, wait, stay away from that BT1 unit, it's a piece of junk...

I show a distributor price of ~$750 on that unit, when it hits the street, that should be eBay going rate. Small screen but hard to beat that price range. Also only a single slot for the NAV and DVD player so you have to remove the NAV dvd if you want to play optical media. If you want bluetooth, wait, stay away from that BT1 unit, it's a piece of junk...

Malibu Rapper, Is it wiser to wait for the AVIC-Z2, as opposed to going for the AVIC-D3??

Malibu Rapper, Is it wiser to wait for the AVIC-Z2, as opposed to going for the AVIC-D3??

The only detail I could find for the Z2 is that it's smarter than the Z1 and has better navigation detail such as 3D images for buildings and such. The D3 fulfills a niche, I can't say it will be better or worse for you. If choosing between the 2 personally, I would opt for the D3 because of bluetooth audio and DiVX support.

I'm a digital media junkie so I will probably go for the Kenwood DDX8019 because of the USB support. I'm not sure if you can play DiVX files off of a USB mass storage device yet though. At a minimum you can put your music on a USB mass storage device so I am thinking of just buying a 2.5" drive and put it into a USB 2.0 case and connecting it to 12v.

I wanted to add a couple more decks to this thread. The Eclipse 6610 and 5510. The feature list is a bit disappointing, they still use a box to control Ipods, no DiVX. The 6610 has 2 DVD slots and the 5510 only has one. They both have 7" screens.

6610.jpg

5510.jpg

Under $1000 with DVD Nav, video, iPod + video iPod.. double din and it has the most factory look of any nav.

There is a audio/video jack up front that lets you plug in audio AND video sources.

The most impressive thing is that you can can set the button and LCD menu colors to match your interior. It has RGB adjustment for illumination.

Sat, Bluetooth, and backup cam are options.

This is the unit I'm going to be putting into my Civic Hybrid and my NSX (as soon as I finally pick another one up).

Sounds good. One of the reason why I'm sticking with Alpine is because I have a lot of other Alpine gear that works well together from the Alpine touch monitors to the PXA-H700.

I am looking to get the Kenwood DDX-8019 Double din unit. This unit is compatible with their Nav unit correct? Anyone know where i can get it for decent price?

Here's a picture of my alpine double din. Been pretty happy with it so far.

10721DSC00128.JPG

Does that Alpine DD unit have the iPod built in full integrated??? or is it a plug in add on??

If built in, which model is it?

Looks great, nice center console look & fit, beautiful job.

Does the ashtray door still open and close?

hey Doc, sorry we didnt get a chance to meet before I moved.

It is the W200. It uses the ipod full speed cable. I just have the ipod in the glove back and the cable going into it. I think there are better units out there, but the main I got it was for the ipod controls.

The ashtray does open and close.

The only detail I could find for the Z2 is that it's smarter than the Z1 and has better navigation detail such as 3D images for buildings and such. The D3 fulfills a niche, I can't say it will be better or worse for you. If choosing between the 2 personally, I would opt for the D3 because of bluetooth audio and DiVX support.

I'm a digital media junkie so I will probably go for the Kenwood DDX8019 because of the USB support. I'm not sure if you can play DiVX files off of a USB mass storage device yet though. At a minimum you can put your music on a USB mass storage device so I am thinking of just buying a 2.5" drive and put it into a USB 2.0 case and connecting it to 12v.

I wanted to add a couple more decks to this thread. The Eclipse 6610 and 5510. The feature list is a bit disappointing, they still use a box to control Ipods, no DiVX. The 6610 has 2 DVD slots and the 5510 only has one. They both have 7" screens.

6610.jpg

5510.jpg

Hmm, Thanks Malibu Rapper, Maybe I will go with the D3 afterall; however, I've always been a fan of Alpine...but as of now they don't have a Nav intergrated 2din head unit right? I'm not looking forward to having to change my speakers and getting a seperate amp with the head unit change either, so it would be nice to save $$$ with the D3.

I'm not looking forward to having to change my speakers and getting a seperate amp with the head unit change either, so it would be nice to save $$$ with the D3.

Just FYI, with a customized harness, you can keep the stock speakers with any aftermarket head unit that has line level outputs. You will still have the typical amp issues with the Bose system but you don't have to replace any speakers.

Just FYI, with a customized harness, you can keep the stock speakers with any aftermarket head unit that has line level outputs. You will still have the typical amp issues with the Bose system but you don't have to replace any speakers.

Really? Thanks Malibu!:biggrin: I've recently refurbished all of my Bose Amps and my stock speaker system sounds decent enough for me. So, If I go for the Pioneer AVIV-D3 would that have the line level output to work with the harness?

Really? Thanks Malibu!:biggrin: I've recently refurbished all of my Bose Amps and my stock speaker system sounds decent enough for me. So, If I go for the Pioneer AVIV-D3 would that have the line level output to work with the harness?

Yes, nearly all aftermarket head units come with line level outputs so you won't have to worry. With the stock amps being refurbished, then you should be fine for several years. I can make you one of these harnesses when the time comes, PM me.

Yes, nearly all aftermarket head units come with line level outputs so you won't have to worry. With the stock amps being refurbished, then you should be fine for several years. I can make you one of these harnesses when the time comes, PM me.

Thanks. I already spent my "NSX" fund on new leather from leatherseats.com and new shoes. Getting a new head unit will be next in line hopefully in a few months. I can't wait though. It will be nice to Plug my Ipod in and enjoy, while having GPS, and video from the D3 :biggrin:

Wow, over 9000 views on this thread...

Ok, just a small update. The Kenwood DDX-7019 is a 6.95" inch screen not a 6.5" screen (error on the Kenwood website). So it's a very reasonable alternative to the DDX-8019. Both models are confirmed to have reverse tilt, the DDX-7019 runs about $750-800 street price and is available NOW.

The USB speed on the Kenwood interface is rated at 12 MB/s (USB 1.1 spec) which is faster than the old full speed spec of 19.2kbps on the Alpines but slower than what is truly considered USB High Speed of 480 MB/s (USB 2.0) which Alpine uses on their new IPod deck. Don't know why Kenwood call the port high speed when it is in fact USB 1.1. The original USB spec was 1.5 MB/s.

Both decks can handle IPod album art as can the new single DIN Alpine iDA-X001. Confirmed that the AVIC-D3 does not display album art.

Ok, so the difference between the 7019 and 8019 are small. The 8019 is the better deck but this is what you get extra:
  1. 5v preamps instead of 2v (not important to most people)
  2. 2 A/V inputs instead of 1
  3. 2 USB ports instead of 1
Really there isn't a compelling reason I see yet to go with the DDX-8019. 5v is nice to have but not necessary. The dual AV inputs you probably won't even use. The extra USB port is probably the only really functional difference I can see if you have an IPod and a thumb drive you want to play music off of and don't want to have to unplug one for the other.

Last edited:
Hi Guys just wanted to add to this thread, I am currently installing the newest Kenwood DNX7100 to my NSX its the newest double din with built in navigation, blue tooth, Ipod conect, DVD and several audio video inputs for cameras and stuff it also has 2 extra switch controls where you can wire in your garage opener or whatever you want to control and use the head unit to activate it. I also added a AudioBahn Amp and the new Clarion powered channel powered sub which is perfectly fitted at the back of the passenger seat. I will take some photos of the install and post it for you guys. The sound is very solid and clean I replaced the door speakers with the new JL Audio speaker line called TOTAL they are separates with crossovers. The built-in navigation of this unit is FAST it gets the map off from and SD Memory CArd not a CD, and it does a really fast job of calculating your route or recalculating when you miss a turn, you can add that traffic feature too but you have to subscribe for that service, it gives you traffic, weather updates plus your XM satellite radio. The Kenwood DNX7100 was $1699, its all touch screen and stuff and the GUI (graphic User Interface) is so cool you can even change your background wallpaper with your own images by connecting your USB drive, you can play songs direct from that USB drive too. Its a pretty cool head unit with a lot of features.

here are some photos of my Kenwood DNX7100 Install with the Amps and Powered Sub

Attachments

• TNTOpen 001.jpg
    TNTOpen 001.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,058
  • TNTOpen 005.jpg
    TNTOpen 005.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 1,045
  • TNTOpen 006.jpg
    TNTOpen 006.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 838
  • TNTOpen 004.jpg
    TNTOpen 004.jpg