• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Double DIN video head unit thread

Kenwood DDX-512 available now at Best Buy.

Did an updated search and was lead to Best Buy.
$599 at BB. in stock now. $599 at Crutchfields,not in stock.

6429sig_red_sm.jpg

Sky:smile:

Unit measures 7 5/8" X 4 5/8" to outside plastic bezel

Kenddx1.jpg

kenddx2.jpg

kenddx3.jpg

Last edited:
getting back to the original question-

i just installed a dnx7100 and the ashtray opens fully but with little rubbing. like 'maliburapper' stated, the double din chassis extends further down than stock so when the ashtray door rotates, its top slightly rubs against the bottom of the radio. not a big deal though.

Here's my Kenwood DNX-7100 install:

DSC00648.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

An Eclipse monitor and Shifter ZR3 laser jammer display unit mounted in the nav pod
DSC00667.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

Valentine 1 Radar Detector and White LED bulbs in the overhead lamps (I did this to all interior lamps)
DSC00630.jpg

NRG and Momo steering setup from Eric
DSC00649.jpg

nice works. heres a question does the monitor on the dash work independily from the one on the console? or is it one system?

The dash unit is another seperate monitor. I can play video from a rear view camera, DVD, iPod video, etc. on the dash monitor. In the photos the top screen is selected to DVD and the bottom screen is selected to Garmin GPS.

I'll be taking better pics when I get my new DLSR camera, an Olympus E-3.

Hey guys, I just bought the avic d3 for my 03 nsx and am having trouble with the install. I am using the factory bose and keep getting a popping sound when I turn off my car. I tried grounding everything in different locations. Also grounded the pioneer ground seperate from the ground in the harness. Used the amp lead (other blue wire) instead of the antenna lead, that stopped it from popping when I turn on the car. But I still get a pop when I turn it off.

- Also with the RCA Line level I spliced all four speakers and am using the Red wire inside as positive. Is that the right one???

- Am I supposed to connect all four speakers???

- And what harness are you guys using???

Any help would be apperciated.

Thanks

Does anyone know if nsxboy7 ever figured out his popping noise? I just installed an iva-W200 and I get popping on start-up and shut down. Get this, I also get popping anytime I press a button like opening up to change dvd or switching to Ipod. Once the unit is playing it sounds great and balance, fader all work great. I tried using the solid blue and blue/white to turn on speaker relay with no difference. Also tried different ground locations...no diff. I spliced the RCA by using the center wires for positve and outer wire for neg. Very careful and everything ohmed out good. I used the two front preamp outputs for the driver and passenger door speakers and the two rear preamp outputs for the driver and passenger footwell speakers (that's what the manual calls them). Of course I had to splice both rca center leads together and outer leads together because of the four inputs for the "footwell speakers". Had to make sure both footwell speaker inputs received both channels. Maybe thats where I screwed up. I'll try disconnecting the RCA's and see if the popping noise goes away. Does anyone have any other ideas???

One last gem...I am also using the R3 bypass unit. Not sure if that would cause the problem???

*UPDATE* Popping is definitly related to preamp outputs and RCA's. Pops with either set in. Goes away when they're disconnected. Weird.

Last edited:
Hi, everyone,
Just as an update for those interested in the Kenwood DNX7100- I've had this navi unit for several weeks now, and I do recommend it; however, the "reverse tilt" feature really doesn't make much of a difference, in my experience. In other words, for those of you still deciding on which DVD navi unit to get, I personally wouldn't really consider this particular feature as that important in choosing this unit over a different one. Just giving some feedback. Any opinions from other DNX7100 users? -Tom

I have a few questions for you guys. Let me show you my requirements then we can go from there.

I want to retain my Alpine MP3 CD changer in the trunk, which I guess forces me to use an Alpine head unit right?

Secondly, I'd like to have NAV, XM Sat, HD Radio, DVD/MP3 and the least important option is iPod / iPhone connection...

The things that I've seen w/ the Alpine units is that all the faces fold down! I can't stand that. These units I've seen don't last that long and if I'm going to drop $1k on a head unit, I want as little moving parts as possible.

I believe the Pioneer Avic-D3 doesn't have any moving parts correct? but then I'd have to get rid of my mp3 changer :(

What are my options? I'd like to control everything from within the touchscreen LCD in-dash.... thanks for the tips!

Hi, everyone,
Just as an update for those interested in the Kenwood DNX7100- I've had this navi unit for several weeks now, and I do recommend it; however, the "reverse tilt" feature really doesn't make much of a difference, in my experience. In other words, for those of you still deciding on which DVD navi unit to get, I personally wouldn't really consider this particular feature as that important in choosing this unit over a different one. Just giving some feedback. Any opinions from other DNX7100 users? -Tom

I agree reverse tilt doesn't help much in harsh sunlight situations, but it does help in more mild situations when the sun isn't as bad. I also think the combination of reverse tilt and a good tint film on the windows helps a little more, but what I like about reverse tilt most of all is simply the viewing angle it provides.

Nate

Hi

I have sent a mail now to order the Seas Lotus ref series for about $1000. That is a good price as they have been steady on $1364 since forever.

That is the good thing. But I had a look here. And it seems to me that Kenwood Europe/Norway does not have the double din's I would like.

I need to send the norwegian distributor a mail. I am confused.

This is what I want:

Double din with about 7" screen
Reverse tilt. (it would be better than not to have reverse tilt)
Possible to control a ipod (I have a Nano now)
Possible to hook up a external 2.5" usb drive. I have a 120gb drive laying around.
Play dvd's. And also files on the 2.5" usb drive if it is divx/films or music in mp3/aac or something.
Bluetooth to hook up my phone
Nav: I have been using a Compaq Ipaq. Not sure if I will do that in the future. But I do not think I will go for the optional KNA-G421
Be able to see dvd's while driving. Not for me but for the passanger ofcourse.

I can't order a Kenwood unit from the US as the radio is messed up as we are a bit off here on frequency.

I guess I have to look into this with a fresh mind tomorrow. But it seems that Kenwood does not have a double din with a dvd player in europe/Norway. You also need the KOS-V1000 or the KOS-V500 in addition to the KOS-L702 which does not have a dvd drive.

In my limited mind I would like to have the 4(1*?)*50W amp in the KOS-V1000 drive the subwoofer (have a Zetoolbox ready) and then have another amp running the Seas Lotus's in the doors. (have a Phoenix Gold amp laying around).

I see that the KNW-G421 are possible to connect to a big range of monitors. Also the DDX ones I guess I want.

Will sleep on it and see if I am a bit less confused tomorrow and shoot off a mail to the norwegian distributor.

Regards

Hi

And it seems to me that Kenwood Europe/Norway does not have the double din's I would like.

I need to send the norwegian distributor a mail. I am confused.

Hi

I am a lot less confused now. I must have been on Kenwood europe's site when they was in the process of updating the site when I posted the post above.

I could not find any of the units that looked like the ones we have been talking about here.

Well now it seems that the Kenwood DDX8022BT is the one to have here in Europe.

I do not want navigation. Well at least not for now.

Can anyone answer how the Kenwood's usb works? I have asked before, but not gotten an answer. I want to use a 2.5" 120gb USB hardrive I have.

It looks like I can access the harddrive. And it says on the website that it can play mp3's from the usb harddrive.

Does anyone know if it can play divx, MPEG 1/2 from the connected usb harddrive?

I am not sure in what format the files I will be having on the harddrive is. But there should not be a problem converting them into something that the Kenwood can play, if it can play them at all.

I can't find if the unit can play a dvd or a movie or anything on the screen while driving. Can anyone with a similar unit please tell me if that is possible.

I have not looked that into the differences between the 8120 and this 8022. I think it lacks only the navigation. I am very pleased that the 8022 has the built in bluetooth I want.

Seems that the european model of 8220 is the same as 8120 in the US?

Regards

Last edited:
Martin,
I think i can answer some of your questions. I have had the Kenwood DNX5120 system in my truck for about 3 weeks now.

My external usb can only read 1.8 inch hard drives. Tried the 2.5 inch and there was not enough power (only .5mA) to spin the drive unless i wanted to hook up an extra power cable to my cigarette lighter but i prefer to have the drive hidden in my glove box with no extra cables.

The hard drive must be formatted to fat16 or fat32. It won't recognize NTFS.

I've tried MPEG and DVD files off the external usb and it won't recognize them either off a usb thumb drive or the 1.8 inch hard drive. Only seems to recognize mp3's off the external usb.

And I'm still trying to figure out how to arrange my files and folders on the 1.8 inch hard drive because there are some serious limitations on Kenwood's end as to what the system will read. My hard drive is only 30 gb and yet the system will only read about the first 5 or 6 gb.

Hey guys FYI the Kenwood DDX812 and DNX8120 came in last week, but were both recalled already for a glitch in the software. It should take about 10 to14 days to update and send back. This affects the 7 series double din units also.
Just wanted you guys to know and if you plan on buying one soon just make sure it is an updated unit.

Martin,
I think i can answer some of your questions. I have had the Kenwood DNX5120 system in my truck for about 3 weeks now.

My external usb can only read 1.8 inch hard drives. Tried the 2.5 inch and there was not enough power (only .5mA) to spin the drive unless i wanted to hook up an extra power cable to my cigarette lighter but i prefer to have the drive hidden in my glove box with no extra cables.

The hard drive must be formatted to fat16 or fat32. It won't recognize NTFS.

I've tried MPEG and DVD files off the external usb and it won't recognize them either off a usb thumb drive or the 1.8 inch hard drive. Only seems to recognize mp3's off the external usb.

And I'm still trying to figure out how to arrange my files and folders on the 1.8 inch hard drive because there are some serious limitations on Kenwood's end as to what the system will read. My hard drive is only 30 gb and yet the system will only read about the first 5 or 6 gb.

Hi

Thanks. This was not good news. I have to check with the retailer over here how much power the unit I plan on buying supports. I have a 12v in my glove box, but I wanted to use it for the gps/ipaq.

I would want to put the 2.5 inch 120 gb drive in the box between the seats. But if the Kenwood can't read it I am lost. I know it needs to be fat 16/32.

I have been told by the supplier here that the Kenwood will play aac/mp4 files from the harddrive. I have asked if it can play mpeg/divx from the harddrive, but I have no answer yet.

However you need to hook up a wire to ground to be able to play things when you drive. Same trick as on the Pioneer players where the hand brake are supposed to be on.

I guess there are still things to find out about the unit I want. Maybe Kenwood will support everything I want when it is time to buy one. Who knows.

Regards

Hi

I got an answer from the norwegian importer on most of my questions. Here goes. This may or may not be valid for the US models. But I am pretty sure it is valid.

The norwegian importer confirmes that the units will be delayed 2-3 weeks.

They supply 500mV on the USB out. Unofficial this has been increased somewhat on 2008 model. But he says that if the drive draws more than 500mV then you should use a adapter.

My drive is at 600mA. So there goes that plan.

Kenwood read most audio formats from a harddrive. Mp3, wma and aac(Ipod format). Video files is not supported. This is something they are working on and will be on later models.

Video files are only supported from a Ipod video. They confirm that there is a cable which needs to be hooked to ground to have video (DVD or Ipod video) work while driving.

He says that the internal bluetooth can be upgraded through bluetooth or cable if your phone is not supported on the unit.

SMS is also supported both out and in on the screen. Audio streaming is also possible on all models. This is good for those that have Nokia N95 or something with this feature.

So I guess the Kenwood is not all that I wanted yet.

The Kenwood supports Ipod video and Ipod Nano with the correct cable. I guess I could buy a Ipod classic with a 160gb. That would be the place where I have all the music and also the videofiles I want instead of the harddrive I have.

There is not a problem to convert the videofiles I want to ipod format. But I am not sure if the Ipod classic with a 160gb drive is considered a Ipod video or of it is only the new Ipod Touch (with only 32gb) that is supported as video play"backer".

I will send a question about this to the importer now.

I hope this was helpfull to anyone that is considering this unit. I may buy it. And also buy a a Ipod classic as a harddrive.

Regards

Nice post Martin, thanks for the extra info, you confirmed some video stuff for me that I suspected through trial and error.

Did they give some info about what kind of file structure is best to set up on a hard drive and file and folder limitations. Assuming you went with a 1.8 inch hard drive such as I bought. Mine is a 30 gb (cost me $88 canadian including shipping) but i know there are as big as 60 gb available. And the 1.8 inch drives will have no problem spinning with the .5mA that the external usb puts out.

Nice post Martin, thanks for the extra info, you confirmed some video stuff for me that I suspected through trial and error.

Did they give some info about what kind of file structure is best to set up on a hard drive and file and folder limitations. Assuming you went with a 1.8 inch hard drive such as I bought. Mine is a 30 gb (cost me $88 canadian including shipping) but i know there are as big as 60 gb available. And the 1.8 inch drives will have no problem spinning with the .5mA that the external usb puts out.

Hi

I asked in one mail how the file system was supposed to be to have the Kenwood read it. But I think that I forgot to write that question to the importer.

However I think that when I get past this economic setback I am sure that I will go for Ipod Classic with a 160gb drive. Problem solved.

The importer I talked with told me that he uses a Ipod Classic with the IP300 in the same way as I (and) you wanted to use the external drive.

There is no problem in converting the files I want on the Ipod into a Ipod video format and that way have it played on the Kenwood head unit.

Regards

Hey guys FYI the Kenwood DDX812 and DNX8120 came in last week, but were both recalled already for a glitch in the software. It should take about 10 to14 days to update and send back. This affects the 7 series double din units also.
Just wanted you guys to know and if you plan on buying one soon just make sure it is an updated unit.

Glad I waited...thanks for the info. I sure am anxious to get my stereo upgrade going... I already have a double din console, harness, and Z3 sub, but I still need the deck, speakers and amp...slowly but surely. Maybe with this economy, prices will go down even more. *fingers crossed*

Hi

I asked in one mail how the file system was supposed to be to have the Kenwood read it. But I think that I forgot to write that question to the importer.

Regards

Martin, if you ever get an answer to this I'd be very anxious to know what they tell you.

Back