• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Driving in Iraq in a Humvee

That was an emergency vehicle? How do you know that? How do you know it was the driver speaking?

All the comments I've seen here and elsewhere indicate that this kind of driving is SOP for the occupying forces in Iraq. I wasn't paying much attention to the audio, but will do so this evening to see if an adjustment to my attitude it warranted.

For the most part, and depending on the situation, that kind of driving is SOP over there. And, believe me, I don't care what you *think* you would do... if you are an american driving a military vehicle over there, you either drive like that or lose your life, period (ask me how I know)! Nobody even knows the whole situation, so all the derogatory comments are rediculous! We don't know what the vehicles MO was (emergency vehicle? joy riding?), and we don't know where he was going (firefight? wounded soldier? Late for coffee + donuts?). Quit being so judgemental... :rolleyes:

(Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot I was on the 'holier than thou' forum)

if you are an american driving a military vehicle over there, you either drive like that or lose your life, period (ask me how I know)!
So tell me ShiftyBob, how do you know? They didn't teach that when I was in the Army, but then we weren't training to be an occupying power.

And I will be judgmental. It's time to stop this madness.

I did two 6 month tours over in the persian gulf.. Jebel Ali and Dubai as a firefighter and a corpsman.. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with you, because you will never understand...

BAGHDAD, April. 25 -- After 57 months of fighting in Iraq, more than half of all American fatalities are now being caused by powerful roadside bombs that blast fiery, lethal shrapnel into the cabins of armored vehicles, confronting every patrol with an unseen, menacing adversary that is accelerating the U.S. death toll.

A slow target is an easy target.

That was an emergency vehicle? How do you know that? How do you know it was the driver speaking?

All the comments I've seen here and elsewhere indicate that this kind of driving is SOP for the occupying forces in Iraq. I wasn't paying much attention to the audio, but will do so this evening to see if an adjustment to my attitude it warranted.

How do you know it was NOT an emergency vehicle? The guys up just front drive and keep everyone alive, the guys in the back keep the wounded alive. You said you were in the army before. You should know well enough that hummers are converted for various uses.

I really don't remember anymore. I sold my F4i a year and a half ago and bought the nsx a couple months later. I've kinda lost alot of sportbike knowledge since doing that. Sad.

I do know I'd LOVE to have an old NR750 though!
nr750_800.jpg

Anyway... back on topic:

I would drive the same way in that situation. I'm glad to see that they had the horn blowing most of the time too, rather than just expecting people to get out the way. Now... perhaps they were on their way to an incident, perhaps they were an emergency vehicle.... dunno.

But, it was nice to see that many did pull to the right without having to be bumped. :smile:

Finally, i'm sure most of the drivers aren't too concerned about a little bump from a mil vehicle now and then. its not like they have to worry about their insurance premium going up. Do they even have auto insurance over there? :confused:

Back