• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Drove a Viper ACR

I had the opportunity to test drive a 2002 Viper GTS ACR over the weekend. (3900 mi, 6-sp). I'll try to sum up my experience objectively and subjectively, while comparing it to my '95 NSX-T.

I've always liked Vipers asthetically and I even gave some consideration to RT/10's in the same price range as my X before I got serious. When I see a Viper on the road it gets my attention and, honestly, I love the stance of the car (especially from the rear). Vipers have only gotten more visually appealing with age even though I'll admit the new body style looks less impressive in pictures than in person.

The shiny silver beast and I really only spent 15 minutes in each other's company but, like so many first dates, I realized soon after the introduction that we were not meant for each other. Unlike many NSX enthusiasts, I don't come from a Japanese sportscar background; my previous car was a yellow Mustang GT with Flowmasters and K&N. So I was no stranger to torque or thoaty idling. (I actually miss that part of the GT). I already knew that Vipers are horsepower beasts, the modern interpretation of Shelby's 1960's racers. Fix all problems with more power.

The five-point harness laying the seat was my first clue that this was a rocket. (Although I just used the normal lap/shoulder belt). Turning the key woke the grumbly V10. Pedals seem to be too offset to the left as a result of the huge drivetrain tunnel. The clutch was high and grabby, but I got used to it quickly. The shift knob was comical but in proportion to much of the rest of the car: huge. It was like Dodge used a baseball. Forward visibility feels as though you are hiding from the outside world peering over a wall of white-faced gauges. This feeling isn't exactly helped by the long wave of sheetmetal ahead of the windshield. It makes a Corvette C4 seem almost stubby.

From a standstill this thing accelerated like a raped ape, but not uncontrollablly. I admit I was initially cautious with the right foot--having read all the reviews--so that I did not break the rear loose. But I'm sure I could have. EASILY. Once on the road, the Viper's gauges play games with your head. "I can't be doing 120 in 4th at 4500rpm" I thought to myself. "No, no! I can't be at the speed limit already! What are the other 4 gears for?" I selected 5th gear at about 85 for giggles once. I can't imagine what speed would warrant 6th. The car pulls hard for as long as you have the guts to stay in the power, and its exhaust lets those around you know the storm is coming. The best way I can explain the sound and power delivery is would be like bolting two Mustang 5.0L 302 V8 engines onto the same car. Or more appropriately, bolt 'em onto a Jeep Wrangler with a solid rear axle. And this is my personal problem with the car: the ride.

The Viper ACR sucked up bumps and potholes with all the grace of a cinderblock. I did a double take as the car skipped and bounced all over the place on the same roads that the NSX takes as smoothly as a Lexus. Sure, this car's supposed to be raw and mean but for me the poor ride quality undid all the great things that the rest of the package delivered. It seemed downright dangerous to carry any real speed through all but the smoothest of curves.

Admittedly, after hopping back into the NSX I wondered who took my engine. Even 6-7K rpm couldn't reproduce the space shuttle shove in the seat. But everything else seemed to be right again: I could see the road through that lovely huge windshield, I sat in the car rather than behind it, and that razor-sharp precision handling was back. These are two completely different cars for two completely different purposes.

The Viper is throwback to the heyday of 1960's musclecars, street racing, and Carol Shelby. It's brute force that is meant to propel the driver from point A to point B as fast as possible. It's the roadgoing equivilant to a John Force's top fuel dragster.

The NSX is a precision tool (hence the calipers in the Acura logo) painstakingly designed to defy the rules by doing everything well. It's an LMP car for the road: sleek, low, and responsive to all inputs and glued to the road surface. Controls and gauges are designed based on function not form. It's a state of balance that makes nearly all others so unbalanced.

viper

Well put KGB... My only comparison is with an older rt-10.
The Viper is a great car... Just brute muscle and go.
The nsx is a refined, engineered, all around sports car that does many things well. Both cars have a place. I just prefer the nsx
for my purposes. -JoLT

Thanks for the review. I performed a web search to find out exactly what a 2002 Viper GTS ACR looked like, and found this page. Looks like his experience with it wasn't that much longer than yours. I'm glad I chose the NSX over the Viper, even though it was a close decision at the time.

how do the refinements of the 2003 improve on the issues mentioned above?

I remember swapping my NSX for a Viper RT/10 for a day. It was SOOOO different. The Viper is like trying to drive a sledgehammer....but the hit of the torque is pretty sweet.

I have ridden in a viper, but never driven one. I need to make a viper friend :)

Kgb_agent:

I keep hearing some of the neo-straightline-streetracer-types using the term: "ALL MOTOR". I think they're referring to a car with a naturally-aspirated engine. Sounds like the term "all motor" would aptly describe the car you drove. There have always been, and will always be, many for whom it's 'all about power'. For people like that, I'm sure the Viper is a Godsend. If what you're looking for is a torque defibrillator, there's probably nothing like it. I'm not at all surprised at the number of people who love them; only that people who love them would also have an interest in the NSX. Go figure. I guess it's like me wanting an airplane to park next to my NSX, only they both have 4 wheels?

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk
No airplane yet:(

kgb_agent - Nicely done review.

I like to see someone else who can appreciate a sports car for what it is. I have had a '97 GTS and an '02 GTS. Miss them both. I now have an '03 SRT-10 and it is a more "civilized" Viper. Still a beast when prodded but much nicer cabin and overall fit/finish.

The Viper uses brute force to put the smile on my face, the NSX uses precision. They both work for me.

NetViper: it was a test drive at a dealer, so no one got to drive my car ;)

Steve T: I've seen a few SRT/10's and they do seem to be more refined than the earlier ones. Nice lines.

You're a lucky man with both cars. Have a bad day at work? Back the Viper out of the garage. In the mood for a weekend blast through the country? Grab the NSX key. Decisions, decisions...

rrwildman said:
I keep hearing some of the neo-straightline-streetracer-types using the term: "ALL MOTOR". I think they're referring to a car with a naturally-aspirated engine. Sounds like the term "all motor" would aptly describe the car you drove.

All Motor more refers to how you choose to modify your car. All motor means you focus on improving power via natural aspiration rather than Forced Induction, like my Prelude in my sig. But yeah I guess it applies, as I'd pity the foo who would turbo a viper...ouch!

Steve T said:
I like to see someone else who can appreciate a sports car for what it is. I have had a '97 GTS and an '02 GTS. Miss them both. I now have an '03 SRT-10 and it is a more "civilized" Viper. Still a beast when prodded but much nicer cabin and overall fit/finish.

The Viper uses brute force to put the smile on my face, the NSX uses precision. They both work for me.

I like the Viper GTS design much better than the new Viper. The older one seems to be a more 'in your face' wild looking car. The new one seems too 'soft' for a car of that type. I have often talked to my wife about how I would someday like to have either a blue Viper GTS with white stripes, or a black Viper GTS with silver stripes. It would be for those times when the urge to just burn up some pavement overcame my better judgement. :)

SteveT...having owned both, do you think the new or old design suits the Viper image better?

SteveT...having owned both, do you think the new or old design suits the Viper image better?

Lots of debate over the current generation (Gen III) Viper design.
It does not seem to come across in photos very well. In person, I think it still has a mean look to it.

But to me, the '96 - '02 (Gen II) GTS will always be THE Viper. No one ever mistakes it for any other car.

Lots of debate over the current generation (Gen III) Viper design.
It does not seem to come across in photos very well. In person, I think it still has a mean look to it.

But to me, the '96 - '02 (Gen II) GTS will always be THE Viper. No one ever mistakes it for any other car.

Steve T said:
the '96 - '02 (Gen II) GTS will always be THE Viper.
Why is the '96-02 considered a second generation? Isn't it the exact same body styling (other than the coupe/convertible differences) as the original Viper? And only minor mechanical changes that would not normally be considered a separate generation?

The big change was a completely new "lightweight" engine with higher compression ratio and revised camshaft and forged pistons for increased power - 450 bhp (335 kW) for the GTS, the RT10 had to wait a year for the new motor. Up from the 400 bhp of earlier years. Several other items upgraded.

Go here to see a few more details: http://ivr.viperclub.org/features.php

"do you really own all those cars"

Yes, midlife crisis in full swing. The wife is very understanding, plus she has her own cars: '04 SL600, '04 E55, '04 H2 and a '04 Z71 single cab pick up.

As soon as I can find the time to clean everything up I am going to take a few pictures of the new NSX with a few of the other cars.

Steve T said:
"do you really own all those cars"

Yes, midlife crisis in full swing.

Can you adopt me? :)

This reminds me of a funny pic posted here some time ago. Who has that pic of a Viper and a Ronald McDonald clown shoe side-by-side? That is hilarious!! Please send it to me or post it. Also, if you have it...the boxter pooping out the center tail pipe. I love those pics

Thanks,

SteveT how do you like the Z06 in comparison to the NSX and Viper?
I am going to be purchasing a new car and am quite confused. I have always been a fan of the NSX but the Z06 seems to have it all as well.

I currently have a 01 GTS Viper. The ACR is by far a stiffer suspension
than the regular GTS. It is basically a track car and not really made
for rough highway roads. I got to ride in a ACR on a track as a passenger.
It was by far the fastest car I had been in. With the smooth road
coarse track the stiff suspension does not feel stiff at all. After the
ride on the road coarse and another ride in a blue and white 96 GTS on
the highway to the road coarse, I deceided to buy my 01 GTS. I love the
car! It is as fast as you read about, but it also handles better than any
other car that I have been in. The early Vipers are not really a good
comparison, they do not handle near as well or ride as good. Believe me
the 2nd generation Viper is fast and it handles very well. The down side to
the Viper is the heat they put out, plus the bad gas milage. I have to let
the car sit about 2 hours after driving it, before I can cover it. I have not
had the problem with heat on the inside of the cab, that I have read about.
The pedals are offset to the left, but you get used to that in about 3 or 4 days of driving it. The NSX is a better made car, especially the interior. I feel that both cars are great, I just enjoy the power of the Viper more. The NSX
is a more user friendly car and a car that you would not mind your wife or
girlfriend driving. Although my wife loves driving my Viper.

Back