• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E55? Anything better?

Okay, I was looking at the 2002+ NSX and the 996 TT and a bunch of other crap but I think I want a fast tank for a little while. I want a auto and was looking at the 2003ish E55 MB. Can anyone thing of anything else around the 45-55k price that is as fast and as nice as this?

I have'nt been following super charged e55 prices but I bet they have depreciated quite abit since new.I can't think of another 4 dr sedan I would rather have if i wanted a fast tank as you put it.Audi rs6 and v-8 m5 come to mind,but I like the benz better.

Okay, I was looking at the 2002+ NSX and the 996 TT and a bunch of other crap but I think I want a fast tank for a little while. I want a auto and was looking at the 2003ish E55 MB. Can anyone thing of anything else around the 45-55k price that is as fast and as nice as this?

I would say a M5, but you can't get that if you want an auto. They are much better in the twisties and more fun with a manual.

The E55 is an awesome car....I have a 2001 E55 Designo, which I'm actually selling on autotrader right now($27.5k with only 29k miles shameless plug:biggrin: ). I already have 2 daily drivers, so I'm looking for a NSX. Mine "only" has 349hp and 391tq, but it will scoot! Very quiet when your aren't on the gas. I haven't driven a newer model, but I'm sure it is the same just supercharged.

For straight line speed in a fast tank in that price range, you can't beat an E55.

I'd go with one if that was what I was looking for. Personally, I would get an E39 M5 over that but that's because I prefer BMWs over MB (but it doesn't fit your criteria since it doesn't come in auto).

Ive never driven a new one but they must fly. I had an 02 E55 and a bunch of E39 M5's. Both terrific cars that I'd suggest to anyone:wink:

go for it... they are awesome. I was looking into one for a dialy-driver in addition to my nsx, but thought the V8 might be a bit heavy on gas, so am now considering a c32 v6 supercharged version instead.

:biggrin: :biggrin: Dude my friend got a 2006 300 srt8 take a look it has headers and exhaust , intake , traction control and some extra stuff and it runs 12.89 at 112's very fast and thats on 22' with Texas 90 degree weather. One of those or the m5 , e55 are great also . But the srt8 are really nice and fast, parts are much cheaper . http://fazle.com/srt8/ lots of pics tell me what you think.

:biggrin: :biggrin: Dude my friend got a 2006 300 srt8 take a look it has headers and exhaust , intake , traction control and some extra stuff and it runs 12.89 at 112's very fast and thats on 22' with Texas 90 degree weather. One of those or the m5 , e55 are great also . But the srt8 are really nice and fast, parts are much cheaper . http://fazle.com/srt8/ lots of pics tell me what you think.

To bad the SRT8 is a CHRYSLER they havent made a good car since 1971, it cant turn for shit and doesnt come in a stick. The M5 is very Fast and Luxerious and will smoke a SRT8 stock. The leather seats in an M5 are Prob worth more than the whole SRT8 :smile:

And actually you can pick up an E39 M5 for cheaper than SRT 8. Just letting you know.

i have driven all 3 (audi, MB, BMW) its my .02 that the rs6 stomps them all....cool car, way too fast, better int.....holding value better...

if its gota be an auto then forsure the e55 but i would definately get the m5 hands down.

S600 maybe too big, Also the m5 is great but I already have a 6 speed and this car would be used for traffic / work / long trips. Also the RS6 seems okay but in reviews that MB always wins.

I was gonna say "I can't believe someone suggested a Chrysler in here", but then I saw who posted it, and was no longer surprised.

Another vote for the E39 M5. Been pretty much my idea of an ideal DD since release. And come on, do you REALLY want that much power in a car... with an automatic? :D

You said you wanted to have something to drive..if you go with the E or S class, or in some cases the M-5, be sure to get an excellent extended warranty w/loaner provisions..as your car will be in the shop quite a bit, especially with more miles under the hood, been there, done that...just my 2c

I have an 03 CL 55 and let me tell you, the car moves. I prefer it over the M5 because I have owned 2 BMW's (and never again) they were terrible cars. They were always in the shop for something and the customer service for BMW is like going to a Ford service center. Go for the MB...

For the depreciated value, a used Cadillac V is hard to beat. I love my CTS-V, but it's a 6 speed stick, so it wouldn't work for you. The STS-V might be one to go look at it, but I'm not sure that it's as fun to drive as the CTS-V. The CTS-V can hang with most anything on the road. While the Cadi is not quite as pretty inside as the Audis, it is pleasing to me. Just need to get my Bluetooth system installed and I'll be in good shape.

Better will really depend on your personal preference and perception.

If I was in the market right now for a 4 dr. automatic performance sedan, it would be a black or silver late model E55 with some Renntech goodies as a follow-up :smile:

Enjoy whichever you end up choosing and don't forget to provide feed-back here :cool:

I was gonna say "I can't believe someone suggested a Chrysler in here", but then I saw who posted it, and was no longer surprised.

Another vote for the E39 M5. Been pretty much my idea of an ideal DD since release. And come on, do you REALLY want that much power in a car... with an automatic? :D

Before you say anything dumb again do some research on the srt8 , its very similar to the e class.

it didn't occur to me when I read the SRT8 post who it might be until I read your post. Then I knew exactly who you were referring to. A Chrysler being compared to an M5, RS6 or E55? Yeah, right.

Back