• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Eww, Creepy...look at what I found in my garage

Beautiful but it gives me the willys ;)

BlackWidowZoomedandCropped.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Nice black widow. I hate those things.

Our garage was infested with them at one point. I had to clear out almost everything and killed dozens of them. Finally I found a plastic chair where there were dozens of their egg sacks. They look like like brown balls with spikes on them.

While a black widow can rarely kill an adult their bite is very painful. They can kill kids and animals so if you have either I would clean them out of there. How big is that one btw? Looks farely large.

NSX-Stalker

NSX-Stalker said:
While a black widow can rarely kill an adult their bite is very painful. They can kill kids and animals so if you have either I would clean them out of there. How big is that one btw? Looks farely large.

NSX-Stalker

While I don't have either, I dont want to get bit or it to infest my garage with its children so i'll do away with it tonight when it comes out again. Its fairly large. I'd say bigger than the diameter of a golf ball (legs open of course).

I found a Brown Recluse in my mowing shoes last week. Glad I checked first. Brown recluse bites can be nasty.

deedubb said:
Yeah, those are incredibly deadly. Glad they're not common around here :biggrin:

Very rarely deadly, but I've had to partially amputate several feet and toes from their bites (Brown Recluse that is). The amount of tissue damage they cause is amazing.

FeetFxr said:
Very rarely deadly, but I've had to partially amputate several feet and toes from their bites (Brown Recluse that is). The amount of tissue damage they cause is amazing.

:eek:

The best thing to do is take a can of keyboard duster and tip it upside down. If you use the right amount of pressure, you can let the liquified air drip onto the spider and teach him a bad lesson.

What I like to do is give the spider a partial freeze, be careful because too much and it will die. Maybe just freeze a leg or two. Then let her slowly thaw and gain strength in her legs, then hit her with a little bit more, this time maybe in the eyes. Freeze a small section on the abdomen, make that red hourglass turn white with frost. Keep freezing and thawing till she can take no more. It's best if she's got little black widow babies watching so they will learn their lesson not to hang around your place. If it's just an egg sack, freeze it solid, toss it in the toilet and watch it sizzle. The best thing about canned air is that you don't get any residue left and the tube gives you precision.

I'm glad we don't have brown recluse spiders in our neck of the woods, but I have come across black widows. They all scare me!

Every morning I have to watch out for fricken spider webs (I backed into a large web of a huge spider on the first morning I spent in my new house)...these big ones are everywhere! Fortunately not black widows and surely not poisonous, but I still find them scary

Attachments

• SPIDER.jpg
    SPIDER.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 97
Now, if I found that thing while all by myself, I might be afraid to get close... but if my girlfriend found it... I wouldn't hesitate to come to her rescue and dig it out from under whatever furniture/crack/rock it was hiding... even crush it in my bare hand if nothing else was available.

Funny how a damsel in distress causes a guy's cajones to enlarge :biggrin:

Malibu Rapper said:
The best thing to do is take a can of keyboard duster and tip it upside down. If you use the right amount of pressure, you can let the liquified air drip onto the spider and teach him a bad lesson.

What I like to do is give the spider a partial freeze, be careful because too much and it will die. Maybe just freeze a leg or two. Then let her slowly thaw and gain strength in her legs, then hit her with a little bit more, this time maybe in the eyes. Freeze a small section on the abdomen, make that red hourglass turn white with frost. Keep freezing and thawing till she can take no more. It's best if she's got little black widow babies watching so they will learn their lesson not to hang around your place. If it's just an egg sack, freeze it solid, toss it in the toilet and watch it sizzle. The best thing about canned air is that you don't get any residue left and the tube gives you precision.

Ever work at Abu Ghraib? I think they are hiring. :biggrin:

Last edited:
brown never gets big enough to bite you. Blacks do... and that one is a nasty one at that size.

Spraying will hardly do squat for spiders. They're not like roaches. They need to be hit directly with spray. They don't clean themselves like roaches. Anyone who's telling you they can spray for spiders is a liar.

You clean them out yourself.

even crush it in my bare hand if nothing else was available.

Heehe, That's a big black widow. If it could get a bite on you on your hand you would be hurting for ages, besides the prospect of losing a few fingers. Are you the new crock hunter or a man with balls that think for themselves?

Well, she's dead. I tried to roast her last night with a flame and WD-40 but she's too fast for that. Tonight i snuck up on her with some 3M spray adhesive, instant death!

NSX-Stalker said:
Anyone who's telling you they can spray for spiders is a liar.

You can spray for spiders.:biggrin:

Often times cockroaches require more frequnt and higher rates to control effectively.

A Cypermethrin spray applied once a month will work wonders.
And a encappsulated pyrethrin that can be sprayed indoors will help too.

Not only do these low toxicity insecticides kill spiders and keep them away, they do the same for:
Ants
Biting Flies
Boxelder Bugs
Centipedes
Cockroaches
Crickets
Earwigs
Elm Leaf
Beetles
Bees
Cockroaches
Spiders
Ticks
Wasps
Firebrats
Fleas
Flies
Millipedes
Mosquitoes
Pillbugs
Silverfish
Sowbugs

Vega$ NSX said:
Every work at Abu Ghraib? I think they are hiring. :biggrin:

No kidding! Jesus Malibu, where do you start thinking up this stuff? :smile:

Do you seriously think a spider is smart enough where you can teach it a "lesson"? :confused: if its dangerous and in my house I'd just kill it. If its not dangerous, I'd just let it do its thing and let nature be. Why spend all this time torturing the thing?

Fastrunner said:
I killed 7 of them yesterday in my back yard, 3 males and 4 females.

How do you tell the sex of a spider?:eek:

Fastrunner said:
I found 3 by the emptied beer can and 4 by the telephone..... :biggrin:

Oh snap that's hilarious..LoL

Back