• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust....Best Sound & Performance?

Tino,
is the price still the same even after the euro went up 15% in relationship to the US$?

A photo of an installed Tubi (but not very good):
DSC00638.jpg

Has anyone done a before/after dyno comparison with the Tubi? I currently have a cat-back setup that has an incredible sound but at the expense of 8rwhp from the Comptech I was running before. I am looking for the best of both worlds, loud aggressive sound and optimal power output. Any suggestions on which exhaust setup will provide this???

[This message has been edited by TampaBayNSX-R (edited 19 July 2002).]

Originally posted by TampaBayNSX-R:
Has anyone done a before/after dyno comparison with the Tubi?
Has anyone done a before/after dyno with a Taitec JGTC exhaust ??
While its lighter and louder than my previous (aftermarket) cat-back SS exhaust, its unclear as to power gains.

Also, has anyone passed EMISSIONS with a Taitec JGTC unit ??

As far as I know the Euro/$ changes have not affected prices.
Let's get one myth out of the way. A CAT-BACK exhaust BY ITSELF ON A CAT-EQUIPPED car will not improve power by much,if at all, no matter who makes it. A cat-back exhaust (by itself) will not affect emission numbers in any noticeable way.

I do not have a before, but I just had my car on the dyno last night at PM Racing in Raleigh after watching Mark and Nick install those beautiful superchargers. I pulled three very consistent runs. 247, 249, and 248 rwhp, and 190 ft/lbs torque. The numbers were much better (12-15 rwhp) than some of the other lightly modified NSX's numbers. Charles Hudson has a Triflo exhaust and did 250rwhp and 189 torque (IIRC). My exhaust was not nearly as loud as Romeo Ramirez' Taitec center out without cats, but his car was making over 400rwhp!!!

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

The Taitec Lightweight exhausts (GT & Center-exit) have the best sound for street/track use IMO. It has a very nice low pitch roar up until 4-5000 RPMs and it starts to scream at higher RPMs than that. I think if you have a car close to stock and you want your car to start sounding like a racecar, this is the exhaust to get. Its also relatively cheap compared to most other exhaust options. I've heard almost all exhausts other than the Tubi ones others mention. The other advantage of the GT/Center-Exit LW exhaust is its minimal weight. I guess if you seriously aren't into the "look" of these exhausts, you will want to choose a different exhaust, but IMO these look really racy and are an excellent match for the NSX. Last time I drove with the NSX club in the hills, I got many complements on the sound by people driving behind me.

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
I do not have a before, but I just had my car on the dyno last night at PM Racing in Raleigh after watching Mark and Nick install those beautiful superchargers. I pulled three very consistent runs. 247, 249, and 248 rwhp, and 190 ft/lbs torque. The numbers were much better (12-15 rwhp) than some of the other lightly modified NSX's numbers. Charles Hudson has a Triflo exhaust and did 250rwhp and 189 torque (IIRC). My exhaust was not nearly as loud as Romeo Ramirez' Taitec center out without cats, but his car was making over 400rwhp!!!

I know you'd need the OEM and modded versions tested consecutively on the same car, in order to be sure, but isn't "247, 249, and 248 rwhp" about 8 hp more that a stock 95? You know, despite Tino's appropriate cautions above, I could swear that my Tubi gave me a little more umpf!

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Originally posted by bboxer:
All 30 units on order will be sold at the group price. Shipping to an address in the continental US is included. After these 30, I am not sure we'll get enough attention as Tubi will be busy running production for Maseratis and trying to satisfy other car dealers in the US (BMW, Porsche).

Do any of those already running the Tubi exhaust have a sound clip to share? I'd like to hear a sample. I'm interested in the Tubi group purchase. What information is available regarding the timeframe for this order? Who is organizing this? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by bboxer:
As far as I know the Euro/$ changes have not affected prices.
Let's get one myth out of the way. A CAT-BACK exhaust BY ITSELF ON A CAT-EQUIPPED car will not improve power by much,if at all, no matter who makes it. A cat-back exhaust (by itself) will not affect emission numbers in any noticeable way.

How then can this be explained re: the Anytime Borla?

"...the rear wheel figures of just the exhaust alone with no headers on a bone stock NSX with 90k on the ODO. Results were; +12.2RWHP and +3.2FPT..."

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Originally posted by Hrant:
Trust me, if you are just looking for sound that is more pleasing or growling to your ears, you do have cheaper options.

Check the air intake by Cantrell Concepts available through Science of Speed:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/NSX/

DaliRacing makes a similar one; you can view it at:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse.cfm?ID=15

And if you want to also change the looks of your tips, buy new tips and weld them for under $100!

Cheers.

the Cantrel intake is for dry weather only. Water will get in if it is raining.

Originally posted by Hrant:
Trust me, if you are just looking for sound that is more pleasing or growling to your ears, you do have cheaper options.

Check the air intake by Cantrell Concepts available through Science of Speed:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/NSX/

DaliRacing makes a similar one; you can view it at:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse.cfm?ID=15

And if you want to also change the looks of your tips, buy new tips and weld them for under $100!

Cheers.

The Cantrel intake is for dry weather only. Water will get in if it is raining.

Originally posted by NSX4U2:
The Cantrel intake is for dry weather only. Water will get in if it is raining.

I live in Oregon where it rains about 9 months out of the year and my NSX is a daily driver with the Cantrell Intake and I have never had any water problems.

bboxer,
Do you think that these dyno graphs were fabricated? This is the main reason very few people want to talk about products that are upcoming. Check some old threads referring to Mark B. and you can see the negativity towards him and other vendors trying to produce products for the NSX community. I'll give you Borlas phone number and you can call them directly and find out the truth. The number is (805)986-8600 and talk to Alex Borla(the owner) and tell him what you think of the dyno graphs they gave me and verify the numbers with them to check accuracy.

[This message has been edited by ANYTIME (edited 20 July 2002).]

Do any of those already running the Tubi exhaust have a sound clip to share? I'd like to hear a sample. I'm interested in the Tubi group purchase. What information is available regarding the timeframe for this order? Who is organizing this? Thanks in advance.

Help, anyone???

Just my $.02 on the Borla/Anytime performance gains. Dyno plots can be affected by weather conditions; (eg hot=less HP). The first dyno was performed in July while the updated plot was performed in December. A more accurate performance indication would be if they were to run the same car on the dyno on the same night before the exhaust is put on and then afterwards. That may help eliminate other variables that may factor into the dyno readings.

From the FAQ:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Again, you may hear a few SPMT's tell you that "Borla mufflers make horsepower!" Or "An engine needs some backpressure to run properly!" Nonsense. A muffler can no more "make" horsepower than Wile E. Coyote can catch roadrunners. Any technician with any dyno experience will tell you that the best mufflers are no mufflers at all!

anvil

Let's not get hung up on the semantics of "making power" vs. losing less power. For practical purposes, the two are equivalent. Think of the cats and cat-back exhaust as series resistances to the exhaust flow. If you reduce the resistance in either, it's a win. In particular, if the aftermarket exhaust is less restrictive than the OEM exhaust, it certainly can result in a net power gain, which is what we care about.

You are right of course!

I was just struck by the FAQ usage of the Borla for their scepticism about exhausts. The FAQ goes on to support your observation, ... namely, it is the reduction of back pressure that improves overall power output.

Sorry, I did not intend to enter into the dispute myself.

anvil

I'm interested in the Tubi group purchase. What information is available regarding the timeframe for this order? Who is organizing this?

bboxer is organizing this and you can contact him at [email protected] regarding any questions you have.

WOW, all my hard work for this!
Weather conditions on both days were at max,5° apart from each other. On 7-24-01 http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KOXR/2001/7/24/DailyHistory.html
and 12-19-01 http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KOXR/2001/12/19/DailyHistory.html

So much for weather having a big effect on the results. I have an idea now on how Mark felt when he was talking about his supercharger. Because of that, very seldom does he appear on the boards anymore. Here are some numbers from a 2000 NSX, showing gains with exhaust and exhaust/headers(provided by Mike @ Comptech). http://www.comptechusa.com/cgi-bin/forum/topic.cgi?forum=14&topic=4

RPM stock cat-back headers
3000 114 112 130
4000 160 158 171
5000 201 198 211
6000 240 246 257
7000 265 274 288
7800 258 271 289

Originally posted by LUD in a previous heated thread: I will say it again: If you have FACTS to report, we are ALL interested. If, however, all you have is some half-cocked SPECULATION, RUMOR or INNUENDO, please keep it to yourself. This applies to ANYTHING, ANY VENDOR, ANY PRODUCT, and ANY PERSON.

This kinda makes me sit back, really think hard and wonder if I really want to do this or anything more for the NSX as far as products go. Sad, huh?

I'm a little confused about the rwhp numbers posted. My '91 with CT headers and CT exhaust makes 271 rwhp. And those are my only engine mods!

Back