• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust options - looking for something on the subtle side

I just bought a '91 with aftermarket headers (Top Speed) and exhaust (not sure of the brand; a quick scan didn't reveal any markings - can anyone tell from the photo?)

This current exhaust is a little too juvenile for my taste; it's very loud at part-throttle drive-off maneuvers and draws quite a bit of unwanted attention in neighborhood settings. So, what to do?

Any comments on the various other popular aftermarket exhausts, in terms of how they stack up on the continuum from "subtle" to "over the top"? Another option is just to go back to stock.

Dave, it seems you're somewhat local to us!

We have the RM Racing quad-tipped ('DTM') muffler on the red NSX, and it's a great combination of sound when you want it and quiet when you don't.....based on throttle position, rpm and engine load.
They are somewhat hard to find, but there is one listed here at the moment; http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/173280-Used-rm-exhaust

You can check ours out if you like,
Brian

(OH, are you running cats?)

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer - I'd like to take you up on it sometime. And, yes, running cats.
We're running (stock) cats too, so it'll be a good comparison..........LMK when you would like to meet up.

(Our local gang does meet regularly on Wednesdays in Plymouth for dinner- PM me for details).

Brian

+1 on the rm racing/B&B muffler.

Best tone ive heard on an nsx with no drone or rasp on stock cats.:smile:

I was waiting for someone to point that out. I can't seem to upload a photo. I thought it was the work firewall, but wouldn't work at home either.

For some reason posting photos on Prime is more difficult than it needs to be. The easiest way is to upload it to a third party sight like Photobucket and then post the link or image from there.

i linked a few pics of the rear of gils car that shows the dual DTM tipped exhuast.

the seller (gil) is one of the most fair/honest/respectable class acts on prime.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/173280-Used-rm-exhaust

1341119611.jpg

DSC_0349.JPG

more pictures can be found here.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/124252-Gil-s-wheels/page20

hope this helps.

Last edited:
I've sold my STMPO system but i may have another system up for sale.

It's quiet enough for track here in the UK. It's a nice looking system, free flowing, welds are ok but not great as i said it's custom and was built for track however it is made from quality parts and quiet for how free flowing it is still has a bark to it though ;). May even come complete with Cantrel manifolds if required.

Here are pictures of the RM Racing quad-tipped muffler, both off and on the car.

Brian
RM Racing DTM Exhaust.jpgRM Racing 'DTM' Exhaust mounted.jpg

Oval tips. imo Best tip design as they are adjustable for perfect alignment with the bumper.

I'm very fond of my RS-R with HF cats. They rarely pop up for sale but out of all the exhausts I've had, this one is right in the middle which works for me.

I have heard the rsr in person with comptech headers and stock cats and the tone is really nice as well. It is a bit more agressive than the comptech muffler but dosent have the growl of the b&b or taitech pride ect.

It is kind of like an aggressive factory style sound.

I had Pride V2 on my first NSX and I absolutly loved it. I got positive comments on the sound. On my current NSX I have Angus AP-X. The Angus has a little lower tone than the Pride but both are well worth consideration IMO.

Here's mine which is the Taitec GT-102 Inconel. It's quiet on cruise (almost OEM), gets a little aggressive when you get on it, but definitely not overbearing. Nice sounding exhaust.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ccuA38_D83A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Zees.jpgI had been using the Comptech Gen II for the longest time but switched to the Zees exhaust for its sheer beauty and more mellow tones on my current NA2 NSX. The best exhaust I have ever owned. I had owned RSR, Comptech, Dali Rice Rocket, Ark, and had driven Tubi Style, Gruppe-M, and Taitec. These loud exhausts were great for a brief street show off but are absolutely unbearable if you have to live with that resonance/drones for more than 15 minutes. For an old fart like me, Zees is my first choice and Comptech is right up there.
Steve

Last edited:
I suggest you try listening a stock 1991 exhaust. I have heard many exhaust from inside and out of the car and the 1991 in stock form had a really nice exhaust sound especially in cabin at WOT. I remember an old mag review said when you step on the throttle it sounds like" the sound track to LeMans".
Going to a NSX event, you can get to hear many exhausts and I suggest doing this, listening to the various cars and catching a ride to hear the outside and in cabin sound of the exhaust of one you fancy.
To my original point, The Don had a all stock on his 1991 and inside the car it sounded great IMO.

PS The exhaust clips you hear on YouTube IMO don't give near the same impression of sound compared to hearing in person.

Last edited:
Back