• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Exhaust options - looking for something on the subtle side

View attachment 101566

Here's the best one I could find on my phone.

there are'nt too many quad round tipped exhausts out there......You may have a tubi...if so it is a very desirable exhaust and should not be too hard to sell.BTW I agree with Joe.....exhaust sound is very subjective...and somewhat age dependent:wink:

You can save $$$$ and go to a muffler shop and run Magnaflow mufflers, the quietest straight through mufflers in the world.

No drone that most aftermarket NSX mufflers give.

+1. I have a '92. My OEM muffler was much to quiet for this caliber sports car, so I went to a reputable muffler shop and had them install a 2.5" exhaust with a Magnaflow #12468 tru-x Muffler, exiting to Pride 3.5" tips [stock headers and cats]. Now I have a subtle, throaty "burble" sound at idle, with an aggressive grrrrrrr...... on throttle, but not a harsh roar or raspy growl. No drone whatsoever. All done for well under $500. Sounds great and looks great!

Last edited:
Yep that looks like a Tubi, here's my one when it was on the car before I installed the Messiah

Very happy with my comptech Gen 2. Looks great. Sounds great. Next to no drone. It is also reasonably priced. I think it has the best looking tips of all NSX exhausts.

If you want a more aggressive, go pride v2.

Dave5,
If you are an "Older" gentleman, you may want to search out an ARK DT-X. As was said before, you need to hear it....both inside and out before you purchase one. I really like this exhaust and get a lot of positive comments. I really like the quite rumble on the decelleration. I am sure there are some used ones out there. Very High Quality Stainless construction.

http://www.cbstuning.com/acnsxarkdtex1.html

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/m...ct_Code=SM0100-391Q&Category_Code=ARK-EXHAUST

Brad

Last edited:
+1. I have a '92. My OEM muffler was much to quiet for this caliber sports car, so I went to a reputable muffler shop and had them install a 2.5" exhaust with a Magnaflow #12468 tru-x Muffler, exiting to Pride 3.5" tips [stock headers and cats]. Now I have a subtle, throaty "burble" sound at idle, with an aggressive grrrrrrr...... on throttle, but not a harsh roar or raspy growl. No drone whatsoever. All done for well under $500. Sounds great and looks great!

Magnaflow is the ONLY muffler that I found that uses some sorta rockwool made from volcanic material. IMHO it's the best material for absorbing sound and tuning out the "rice" as much as plausible.

MagnaFlow%20cut%20away%20muffler.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aSP07KvtW4M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jii_a1RRkWY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just wanted to add that I installed a CT gen2 on my NSX, and it feels almost stock and with added growl in higher rpms ... 4500+. The car still feels to quiet. :)

View attachment 101936I had been using the Comptech Gen II for the longest time but switched to the Zees exhaust for its sheer beauty and more mellow tones on my current NA2 NSX. The best exhaust I have ever owned. I had owned RSR, Comptech, Dali Rice Rocket, Ark, and had driven Tubi Style, Gruppe-M, and Taitec. These loud exhausts were great for a brief street show off but are absolutely unbearable if you have to live with that resonance/drones for more than 15 minutes. For an old fart like me, Zees is my first choice and Comptech is right up there.
Steve

I hadn't heard of this exhaust before. Look's like one of the best quad tips i have seen and really fills out the 91 valance beautifully.

Magnaflow is the ONLY muffler that I found that uses some sorta rockwool made from volcanic material. IMHO it's the best material for absorbing sound and tuning out the "rice" as much as plausible.

MagnaFlow%20cut%20away%20muffler.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aSP07KvtW4M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jii_a1RRkWY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a similar system except "Flowmaster" muffler, no cats, has a electronic switch, that tricks the system that there are cats, and I have Corsa tips, they cost more than the muffler.....:cool:

I bought my car a week ago, and it came with the DC Sports exhaust. I honestly can't hear it over the intake sound even under WOT. No drone what so ever. But it has a really nice tone when reving it. The volume of the exhaust note sounds about the same level as the intake sound, so it ends up being very balanced. I love it; makes for an excellent cruiser. I haven't heard any other exhausts in person yet.

I am new here, just bought a peachy stock 92 NSX, low miles with 5 speed. My impression is that the stock exhaust is really too gentle/innocuous sounding -- I want more bass rumble when stepping on it, but NO DRONE when going easy. I am also not interested in screeching high rev motorcycle sounds.

I have spoken to several vendors and the Comptech exhaust was suggested several times as a good fit. Mark Johnson at Dali Racing has been helping me with some initial mods (DC headers, Bilsteins, sways) and he suggested I get his Dali 'Wishy' SS catback unit. He said it is very similar to the CT for less money, no drone, bassy sounding, quiet when cruising.

I will have it on the car in a week and will report in. Mark at Dali seems like such an authority on this board and has been very nice in working with me, so I went with his advice on the exhaust.

I just bought a '91 with aftermarket headers (Top Speed) and exhaust (not sure of the brand; a quick scan didn't reveal any markings - can anyone tell from the photo?)

This current exhaust is a little too juvenile for my taste; it's very loud at part-throttle drive-off maneuvers and draws quite a bit of unwanted attention in neighborhood settings. So, what to do?

Any comments on the various other popular aftermarket exhausts, in terms of how they stack up on the continuum from "subtle" to "over the top"? Another option is just to go back to stock.

Last edited:
Back