• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

F1 like sounding exhaust from an NSX?

OK, watch and listen to this video:

http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Honda/6/0173a5dc-0992-4fd8-81c1-98a600dfd068.htm

OK, OK, so this may not be an NSX, but it's the closest thing in the Honda family...

According to the comments, this car is running a straight pipe welded to a D&D pipe for a Hayabusa. It sounds AWESOME. I do like the idea of trying an exhaust from a motorcycle, but I don't like the idea of running a straight pipe.

So let me ask this, has anyone tried making a custom exhaust system from a motorcycle with or without the cat on an NSX? I *think* there are a few exhaust systems for the NSX out there that have mufflers that look like it could fit a motorcycle... but I don't know anything about those.

Now, I want to try this setup, but I don't have the time and resources at the moment. So maybe someone else here can try it?

--Conrad

I guess that's cool but I got tired of it less than half way through the video, I can't imagine having it on my car. I'm sure the people in that neighborhood loved it too :)

would you like some egg drop soup with that rice?????????

Conrad - you funny guy. You're right, the sound is cool - for about the first 30 seconds. Then it's just obnoxious. If you could hit a switch and turn it on/off then you might be on to something.

OTOH, if you throw in a set of those mutton-chops, I might fund it...

DaveG

It would sound good on the race track and, perhaps, on quick freeway jaunts. But I'd have to agree, it'd get old quick.

This guy havin a wank with that gearstick or wot? geeeezzz........

Lets shift in first when doing 20+...lol

It sounds cool, but a bit loud for a daily driven car. Guy looked like he changes oil for a living at jiffy lube. Damn the Jesse James trend.

Moving along, My best guess would be dual D&D aftermaret pipes on the stock exhaust system. I don't think a single would flow that much. Here is the pic of the stock s2000 exhaust:

14S2A0.000.7.gif

I think is he put a test pipe in place of the cat, then chopped off that pre-muffler (maybe it's a resonator). Twin D&D pipes in place of the mufflers, I bet this exhaust cost him a thousand to setup.

My gut feel is saying that the pipes are most likely a flow restriction, probably not suited for FI. Most B & F motors use hayabusa TBs for ITBs on their n/a motors. If I get tired of the super loud Flowtech (Holley) exhaust that I'm about to put on I may search for a different kind of muffler and maybe try this out. I do think that dual exhausts on a 4 banger looks dumb; s2000 and srt4 cars come factory riced with fake dual exhaust. It would be quiet or stock motorcycle mufflers for me, nothing over the top loud since I'm getting that like next week and I'm sure it will get old fast.

D&D make the most GOD AWEFUL motorcycle exhaust in the world! I wouldn't put it on my bike if I got a system for free! Hell, I wouldn't put one on my bike even if they gave me 5!

Sooooo point being.... he probably got the D&D pipes for next to nothing if not free. I've only ridden with 2 D&D piped bikes, SV650 & GSXR600 but they both were abnoxious!

D&D is what? Rednecks for rice pipes? Crap, absolute crap.

Sorry, had to rant about the D&D thing.....

Its just as annoying as a motorcycle is...

I guess I'm just used to it because I have one. I don't think you guys would be too quick to judge if you rode one either. Exhausts get a lot louder and alot more obnoxious than that.

I guess I'm just used to it because I have one. I don't think you guys would be too quick to judge if you rode one either. Exhausts get a lot louder and alot more obnoxious than that.

I used to and it is still annoying... (not quit as annoying as how a car with an exhaust can be mildly obnoxious and get a ticket but somebody riding their harley down the street with what seems to be NO exhaust goes by without fear...)

its 'cool' for about 45 seconds but if i were driving on the same street as him or he came through my neighborhood i'd want to shoot him

Hmm, I seem to be the minority when I say that it sounded pretty damn cool. Obviously you could not drive the thing everyday, so I would say go for it.

I guess I'm more function than form, sound is important to me as well. But if there's performance to be gained w/ a little noise than go for it.

I do have to say tho, that I cant stand those MF'ers with there strait piped choppers, harleys, or old Ford-Chevy-Dodge trucks.

BTW I hope thats his car and not a customer's, he needs to be shot for driving like that!:eek:

It's BAD when you're following behind a D&D. You sorta KNOW it's a D&D when you're behind one, signature LOUD. Ever heard your own bike ride away? Especially when you're following behind it pretty close? Things sound mighty different from the opposite end of the pipe, lol.

Ok.... Normally I find stuff like this really annoying... and we see now that it's fake so it doesn't matter one way or another.... but that exhaust DID sound pretty damn cool. I'm surprised at everyone that said "that would get annoying REALLY QUICK". Isn't that basically what a Ferrari sounds like? If I drove a Ferrari wouldn't my car sound like that every day? I thought that was supposed be the sexiest sound a car could make?

Ok.... Normally I find stuff like this really annoying... and we see now that it's fake so it doesn't matter one way or another.... but that exhaust DID sound pretty damn cool. I'm surprised at everyone that said "that would get annoying REALLY QUICK". Isn't that basically what a Ferrari sounds like? If I drove a Ferrari wouldn't my car sound like that every day? I thought that was supposed be the sexiest sound a car could make?

yeah, i agree; i don't know what you guys are talking about either..... yeah, it sounds like a motorcycle, but a motorcycle sounds a lot more "f1" than any exhaust you're gonna get for the nsx. tell you the truth, half of the nsx exhausts sound like straight up rice/poop to me, cause they have that crappy reverb when you let off the gas - sounds like trash.

so what if it sounds like a motorcycle - what you're saying is that 9,000rpm sounds like 15,500 rpm - that's a bad thing?

and too loud? that's a stupid statement - it's no louder than your exhaust with no cats and a GTLW on it.

is all you on the pipe?:wink:
makes me wonder what you would've said if somebody didn't say it was a d&d pipe, but a new taitec or GT-ROM instead.....

Isn't that basically what a Ferrari sounds like? If I drove a Ferrari wouldn't my car sound like that every day? I thought that was supposed be the sexiest sound a car could make?

A Ferrari, say a 355, has the same volume but has more depth and much less "tinniness" to it. Comparing the two, you'll hear much more gutteral tones coming from the Ferrari. Think Louis Armstrong vs. The Chemical Brothers.:wink:

yeah, i agree; i don't know what you guys are talking about either..... yeah, it sounds like a motorcycle, but a motorcycle sounds a lot more "f1" than any exhaust you're gonna get for the nsx.

Judging by the above statement, I'd wager that you haven't heard an F1 car or a motorcycle.

F1 car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqO6tEZdUQ0

Motorcycle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2PRteb2vks

Or you're tone deaf. Either way, that lack of validy makes the rest of your post pointless.

Pony... that was a pretty stupid reply. I have a CBR 900RR and a CBR 1000RR. The 900 has a Two Brothers exhaust and the 1000 has a Jardine. I can promise you that neither sound like the S2000 in that video. The S2000 video is apparently fake anyway... so it doesn't really matter.... but if you think that video sounds like a motorcycle in anyway... than maybe you are the one that is tone deaf. I'm leaving in the morning for a 7 day cruise so don't expect me to hop back on here and defend myself if Pony calls me a dumbass. You all have fun while I'm tubing down a river in a tropical rain forest!!! :biggrin:

P.S. If you're going to use a motorcycle exhaust... a stock v-twin Ducati might not be the best example... especially since we're talking about the sound of an F1 car, not a cracked out Harley. :wink:

watching the video again taking into consideration that it IS fake you'll notice a few things. First, lack of road noise. I know your exhaust coming out the back of the car (while camera is in the cab) isn't going to be that loud as to drown out everything else. I hear a lot of wind, yes but aren't there other noises on the road like horns and other cars, and loud music. Second, when he was butchering the the 180s you didn't hear that much tire squeal. I would expect some chirping since I'm sure that car is fairly easy to chirp. Even with an aftermarket LSD installed and sticky tires you would still expect some rubber noise.

Back