• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Fiesta ST or BRZ for DD?

Very much so, the size and weight of it change the driving dynamics and the focus is pretty sluggish in comparison so the fun factor is turned down quite a lot. The focus still has the same amazingly direct steering tho. Like s2000 to a mustang

would that be with Matt in or out of the car:wink:

Back when I was on the fence about staying with a muscle car (had a 5.0 Mustang that blew up twice supercharging/road racing), I was stuck between a Challenger Scat Pack and going with a Fiesta ST to hold me over. If it wasn't for the perfect Challenger showing up, I would have been in the FiST.

I've driven the ST on the street on a couple test drives, loved it. Compliant, fun, and spunky is how I would describe it. I truly felt like the entire car worked with each other. I am sure I could hold off on the mod bug with that car if I had an NSX in the garage.

Drove a BRZ on the track when I was tracking the Mustang. It was a friends with only upgraded brake pads. The car was well balanced handling wise, but I kept wanting more power out of the car. Yeah, it's what everyone says, but that car would do much better with S2000 power levels. For me, if you want a well balanced budget sports car that you can track, get a used GEN 1 or GEN 2 Miata (I owned a 99 Miata for about 7 months) that is significantly cheaper to run on the track.

Good luck with your purchase, but I truly think the FiST is the best kept hot hatch secret. Most go for the Focus because it's larger, but I think that what makes the FiST great.

Last edited:
thanks kaede,

that's really helpful,especially from someone who has basically the same cars i do (plus one more.) i'm going to drive an st and see if it's fun,and doesn't feel like too much of a downgrade.

edit-a question-would you be comfortable having a fiesta st after an m3,or would it feel too cheap?

hmmmm, tough question. Coming from the E90 M3 the Fiesta sure seems a bit cheaper. But then again, I also drive my EP3 Civic Si (Project Car, stripped and have basically no creature comforts besides heat) quite a bit especially in the winter and it doesnt bother me one bit. To me, the Fiesta ST will feel more like a DD Toy that gives me a lot of fun, i won't be expecting much luxury or refinement anyways. If i were to own one, i think it will make me appreciate the M3 more when i do have a chance to bring the M3 out. But if you're looking to replace the M3 with the fiesta, then ya, you might miss the Euro luxury car feel.

All in all, i think the Fiesta ST will be a great addition fun to any stable, but the E90 M3 is just an exotic beast a class above with its S65 engine... (your e90 a ZCP? if it is, even more rare... and i will definitely keep it over replacing with the Fiesta ST). If you're looking to add another car to your collection, then go right ahead with the Fiesta, it is proper proper fun. Cheers.

Last edited:
I'd get a four door like a WRX or something. That way with AWD I can hit the mountains, rain, etc with more confidence. But it never hurts to be able to bring the bros all in for a beer run.

probably overkill for the amount and type of driving I would do in my dd, but looks like a hell of a car

I am getting the Ford Focus RS when it comes out in May. Look into that car.

I put down a deposit on a Fiesta ST,looking forward to getting it. Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

Last edited:
I must say the 2016 Civic Si is a pretty amazing value

it is,but from all I've read ,the Fiesta ST is a lot more capable and fun to drive.

Congrats!

I've had my Fiesta ST for 2 years, mostly stock condition, only 8k miles, no problems and love it. Great and practical daily driver with enough space in the back for road or mtn bike destination rides. The ride is very firm, but very precise.

Long term I'm not as confident about Ford quality as I've mostly had pretty good luck with Hondas and no issues with my 11 years with the NSX. Time will tell. And I still have the GS-R as my backup fun car too. :--)

Post up some pics when it arrives!

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats!

I've had my Fiesta ST for 2 years, mostly stock condition, only 8k miles, no problems and love it. Great and practical daily driver with enough space in the back for road or mtn bike destination rides. The ride is very firm, but very precise.

Long term I'm not as confident about Ford quality as I've mostly had pretty good luck with Hondas and no issues with my 11 years with the NSX. Time will tell. And I still have the GS-R as my backup fun car too. :--)

Post up some pics when it arrives!

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

that's good to know. i would have liked to get a Honda or Acura for my DD, but they don't make anything sporty that interests me anymore. I also had a GS-R,a modern successor to that would have been perfect. the ST's seem to be holding up pretty well,one guy on STForum reports 164,000 trouble-free miles,which is obviously encouraging. In any event, parts should be so much cheaper than my previous DD,an 08 M3, that any problems shouldn't be too expensive.

I just got my Fiesta ST and I am very pleased with it. The handling is excellent, all controls feel precise, and it feels surprisingly solid and well-made. It's pretty powerful, though slower than my stock NSX, which i expected. One tech feature I really like is the voice recognition, especially for music. I put my music on a USB stick, leave it plugged in, and just say play (name a song) and it plays.
I wondered if the ride would be too hard, and it's not so far, not as hard as my NSX on 17/18's. I think they nailed the ride/handling balance well, as well or better than the E90 M3 that was my previous DD.
I read that this car is the cheapest one to have Recaros (optional), and they are necessary with the car's level of agility.
The motors are used virtually stock in Formula Ford, which indicates they're tough. This is a serious car for an enthusiast, but very cheap to run, and seems ideal for an NSX'ers DD.

Last edited:
I just got my Fiesta ST and I am very pleased with it. The handling is excellent, all controls feel precise, and it feels surprisingly solid and well-made. It's pretty powerful, though slower than my stock NSX, which i expected. ......

Congrats! What color did you get?
When you switch back to the NSX steering, it will feel like a truck with the amount of wheel turning you have to do to rotate the car. Longer wheelbase aside for part of it, I wish the steering on the NSX was a bit quicker like the Fiesta ST.

Update us in a few months with some experiences.

- - - Updated - - -

Update us in a few months with some experiences.

Congrats! What color did you get?
When you switch back to the NSX steering, it will feel like a truck with the amount of wheel turning you have to do to rotate the car. Longer wheelbase aside for part of it, I wish the steering on the NSX was a bit quicker like the Fiesta ST.

I got the Kona Blue, a nice color with some pop in the sun.

Last edited:
Updating this, I've had the car a year and a half now, and I just love it. It's so good I sometimes prefer driving it to the NSX, which I never would have predicted. The quick and agile handling is incredibly fun, and it's faster than I thought it would be.
I would urge anyone looking for a fun, economical DD to check one of these out. It's easy not to take these little things seriously, but Ford really did themselves proud here. Many of the traditional car mags and sites just rave about it. A guy in Road & Track wrote, after getting one-

I'm not looking forward to the day next week when I roll the Boxster S out of its garage door. I'm afraid that the lithe, compact roadster I remember will all of a sudden seem a bit unwieldy and oversized.

And it's so inexpensive-mine was $23.5 out the door with Recaros and moonroof. It's one of the best fun to price propositions ever.

Last edited:
Back