• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Finally Put the NSX Away for Winter

Well, the NE finally got the best of me and I put the NSX away until the warm weather comes back. It had been my daily driver, but it clearly isn't designed for winters with or without inclimate weather. My relacement? A 1993 Chevy Beretta. I have been driving it for a few days, and all I can say is it's nice to have more headroom since I am 6'4." Other than that, nothing much good to say about it. I did take the Acura out for a final car wash at a do-it-yourself place last night and locked the brakes up accidentally since I am now used to the much less touchy Chevy brakes. Ooops.

Just thought I would share and see if anyone else in the NE is going through withdrawl while they drive their "beater." Can't wait until April, until then I'll just read the posts from you warm weather guys.

Bob1374 said:
Well, the NE finally got the best of me and I put the NSX away until the warm weather comes back. It had been my daily driver, but it clearly isn't designed for winters with or without inclimate weather. My relacement? A 1993 Chevy Beretta. I have been driving it for a few days, and all I can say is it's nice to have more headroom since I am 6'4." Other than that, nothing much good to say about it. I did take the Acura out for a final car wash at a do-it-yourself place last night and locked the brakes up accidentally since I am now used to the much less touchy Chevy brakes. Ooops.

Just thought I would share and see if anyone else in the NE is going through withdrawl while they drive their "beater." Can't wait until April, until then I'll just read the posts from you warm weather guys.

I know how you feel. It got down to the low 30's here with a wind chill of about 18 the other day and I couldn't wash my NSX. :biggrin:

I grew up and lived in the NE for 28 years, I don't know how you guys can manage with all the snow and worries about driving a nice car in inclement weather. I don't miss those days one bit.

Good luck until Spring.

Don't forget to call your insurance company and ask them to suspend your collision and liability coverages while the car is not being driven.

DocL said:
I grew up and lived in the NE for 28 years, I don't know how you guys can manage with all the snow and worries about driving a nice car in inclement weather. I don't miss those days one bit.
I've been in Florida in the summertime. It's like being trapped in a steambath. I don't know how you guys can manage with such heat and humidity. I sure am glad I don't live there.

nsxtasy said:
Don't forget to call your insurance company and ask them to suspend your collision and liability coverages while the car is not being driven.

Thanks for the advice, already taken care of.

I'm a little confused... Do you live in DC? If so, why would you put the car away? We have so little snow here that it hardly makes a difference. I'd say there may be but a handful of weeks that you can't drive. In fact, from my perspective, I'd suspect I'll drive the car less in the spring then in the winter just due to the fact that it rains a lot here in the spring... Just different perspectives, I guess.

nsxtasy said:
...I've been in Florida in the summertime. It's like being trapped in a steambath. I don't know how you guys can manage with such heat and humidity. I sure am glad I don't live there.

No argument there. The only reason why I can manage is because I have tinted windows, a sun-shade for my dash, and ice cold A/C in my house, office, and cars. The four months of unbearable heat pays off with beautiful cool weather for the other eight months. Hey, there's a reason why people vacation down here in the winter, so why not enjoy it as most I can. I can always fly up to the NE to get a dose of winter, and I always take a summer vacation to either the west coast or New England to get a break from the humidity.

nsxtasy said:
I've been in Florida in the summertime. It's like being trapped in a steambath. I don't know how you guys can manage with such heat and humidity. I sure am glad I don't live there.

All NSX's have air conditioning. :cool: I haven't seen too many with four wheel drive or snow tires!

1069011387_winterrules.jpg

Funny how you guys always start these conversations in January, and you never talk about the weather in July, hoping all summer that no one mentions how unbearable it is down there...

nsxtasy said:
Funny how you guys always start these conversations in January, and you never talk about the weather in July, hoping all summer that no one mentions how unbearable it is down there...

Unfortunately, I usually spend most of my winters in Detroit/Chicago/Toronto areas for work.

You also don't usually hear about guys in the South "taking their cars down for the summer" to work on them! :tongue:

GOTTSPD said:
I'm a little confused... Do you live in DC? If so, why would you put the car away? We have so little snow here that it hardly makes a difference. I'd say there may be but a handful of weeks that you can't drive. In fact, from my perspective, I'd suspect I'll drive the car less in the spring then in the winter just due to the fact that it rains a lot here in the spring... Just different perspectives, I guess.

Actually I live in Philadelphia now, I just haven't updated my profile. Trust me, the car can't be a daily driver in the winter up here. While I would love to be in Florida now, I must agree with NSXTASY that the summers down there are brutal. I'll be thrilled when we get to May up here, that's perfect top-off weather.

There is NO WAY the NSX could be a daily driver here in Baltimore. It is ASS cold here, snow covered and has been for quite some time.

As for you folks in the north who say that winters in the north are better than summers in the south, IMO you are certifiably NUTS. The number 9 is a time, not a temperature. I never want to see another snowflake in my life and would be perfectly happy with summer temp and humidity in the 90s as a substitute.

my NSX has been frozen under a car cover for a little while as well, and i unfortunatly dont think ill be driving it until March or April. No fun driving when the temp is 0 or below... :frown:

nsxtasy said:

I'm the first one to chime in how hot and humid it is down here. Sometime when there are brush fires in the glades it even seems like we are living in hell. :eek: But, as AutoVation mentioned, we don't have to put our cars away for months at a time because the conditions are unfavorable to drive in with an NSX . Besides for the occasional :biggrin: hurricaine, my car was in service for 362 days and the roads were passable for 365 days in 2004. I've seen some recent conditions of the roads in the NE and it doesn't like it would be much fun to an NSX. Oh yeah, I've never heard of "sun" tires, but I have owned "snow" tires.

Back