• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

For all you naysayers... the new NSX has been confirmed by Honda CEO Mr. Fukui

Cool!

Nice fnd. Is it time to start a pool of your best guess (not wants) of what the new NSX will include/entail?

This is my official guess without all the dreaming...

3.5L V6 with 350HP. I personally don't think that is enough, but I think that is what we will get.

Power-wise I would expect it to be on par with the S2000 in terms of HP/Liter, so IF they bump it up to 3.5 with a new block for a larger bore then I'd expect more like 420hp due in large part to an extra 1000 RPM redline. Then again, they could get the extra displacement all from increased stroke for the torque benefits that yields, and keep the RPM down a bit, say 8300. Then I'd guess ~375hp but a fatter torque curve. Either would look lean on paper to your average Vette shopper but as usual perform better than that due to the VTEC broadened powerband.

sjs said:
Power-wise I would expect it to be on par with the S2000 in terms of HP/Liter, so IF they bump it up to 3.5 with a new block for a larger bore then I'd expect more like 420hp due in large part to an extra 1000 RPM redline. Then again, they could get the extra displacement all from increased stroke for the torque benefits that yields, and keep the RPM down a bit, say 8300. Then I'd guess ~375hp but a fatter torque curve. Either would look lean on paper to your average Vette shopper but as usual perform better than that due to the VTEC broadened powerband.

I have to agree with sjs, I think they'll do the 3.5 V-6 and keep it light......but with the lastest technology and engineering Honda has to offer you can easily expect 100 HP per liter and over.....thats the minimum standard that ANY high dollar Honda Supercar should/and will have, thats almost certain. However, how much over 100 HP per liter will be the question.... I personally feel they'll make it with a little over 105 HP per liter which will give us ~about 370 HP. You have to remember, it far more difficult to produce 120 HP per liter out of a 3.5L V6 than it is out of a 2L 4banger....while still keeping it emission legal. Hopefully they'll really impress us and pump out a V-6 with 110+HP per liter :D :D :D

Folks-

I think we'll get a 4.0 Liter V-8 and a rendition of which will also go to the new Legend/RL replacement. 100 hp/litre at least, with paddle shifters. Just my ...guess/wish!

Nev

I agree with Netviper's guess plus an optional "R-type" version finally available in the U.S. with substantial weight savings (weight around 2700 lbs). 350 hp, 300 fpt, 0-60 mid 4's, 1/4 mile
in the low 12's, liberal use of composite materials. Either that
or the Daul-Note will resurface as a two door with improved body work.

Just to throw in what I know (which is little to crap), it is being passed around at Honda that the new body style has been developed. At any rate, the car has been seen in person by some of the staff who work both over seas and here for Honda. Seeing how Honda will fire employees for leaking information, I have heard nothing else. That, and nobody I talk to cares nearly as much as I do about it. It's like pulling teeth.

Not to leave open my guess as being non-specific, but I think whatever will be unvieled will be nearly the revolutionary accomplishment that the original NSX gave us. This is Honda's engineering/technology flagship, and will be comprised of what they have learned in their F1 experiences.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say:
-Larger dispacement v6 N/A, with HP near 400.
-Curb weight of 2,800, with the Ayrton Senna model checking in at 2,700.
-No steel used in body. Not sure about composites though.
-No stupid electric/hybrid front wheel drive crap.
-Brakes will find little need for upgrades.
-Adjustable suspension.
-Optional F1 paddles.
-Interior to keep the "cockpit" styling. Why ruin something great!

I also don't expect the price to be less than 90K sticker. In fact, I'd darn near bet a pay-check on it.

Good info.

My feeling is they will come out with v6 @ ~350bhp with a curb weight of around 3klbs.

Personally, any new nsx with less then a v8 i wouldn't consider worthy as a replacement... even if its a 500hp NA v6 with a 9k redline.. that isnt good enough.

-mike

mikeh said:

Personally, any new nsx with less then a v8 i wouldn't consider worthy as a replacement... even if its a 500hp NA v6 with a 9k redline.. that isnt good enough.
For Mike they will have a limited V8 edition that produces 250hp.
uhoh3.gif
:D

i agree. even if it only has 300hp but weighs 2500lbs, i welcome that. anything to improve performance figures will do.

looks is a must....once again, it should be timeless and get a lot of "Oohs"

cpmoran said:
as long as it is sexy and faster than a zo6 ........

I think it MUST be faster than a Z06 or it will be laughed at around the world.

I watched C&D TV this weekend and they did a review on the GT3... their final comment was it was nice, but a Z06 might be faster for 1/2 the price.... It was nice to hear another car get that comparison instead of the the NSX...

Of course, the GT3 did 0-60 in 4.0 and the quarter in 12.3 @ 118 ... which TOASTS any NSX..

Considering that the new Z06 will have 500 hp and a 3000 lb weight, I kind of doubt that Honda will beat it.

Any new NSX will continue to focus on balance, quality and all-around performance. I suspect Honda will get close to 400 hp from a new V6. If they're able to get the weight close to 2850, then it will be a great car.

The Vette will continue to be the value/performance leader and be a great car in its own right.

-Jim

Furthermore, the new Ford GT will also have 500 hp and a 3000 lb weight. It's going to be difficult for Honda to match the pure performance levels of the new Z06 and the GT.

As always, Honda will excel in balance, quality, and hopefully elegant styling. Perhaps the next NSX will come close to the GT at a price that's $50K less. Hopefully, that is.

-Jim

I think that the two power plant (electric/gasoline) AWD concept is very likely, IF a new NSX ever happens.
Just like the first car I think they'll start with a clean sheet of paper.

When the NSX first appeared in 1990 it was so much balanced and efficient that it even outclassed the Testarossa ( especially on track ).

The NSX was admired because of its balance but this balance came mostly because it showed in a luxury package:

Highest NA output: 90 hp / liter

Highest NA redline for an exotic sportscar: 8 300 rpm

Smallest power to weight ratio for average exotic sportscars

( hence excluding very limited production numbers super exotics like the F40, Diablo and others... )

So, it is not difficult to see which way Honda HAVE TO TAKE.

By today standards it MUST achieve:

More than 120 hp / liter ( because of the S2K )

More than 9000 rpm redline ( also because of the S2K )

A power to weight ratio WELL under 3 kg / hp ( to beat the average exotic sportscar p to w ratio )

Being in charge of the new NSX project I would be without any compromise determined to give the NSX:

130 hp / liter

10 000 rpm redline

2,50 kg / hp

hence resulting in a 2750 pounds car ( 1250 kg )

thus implying a 500 hp NA engine @ 3,846 L

thus allowing to maintain actual design of transverse V6 and small trunk combo.

Of course there could be place for a longitudinal V8 with no rear trunk but it would be funnier to keep the actual body/engine layout.

Price: 100K $ us firm ( no incentives... )

With such a package bye bye Vipers, Z06, 360 Modena and 996TT!!!

Long life again for the new NSX!!!

Thanks everybody! :) :) :)

P.S. to keep sales from dropping Honda would have to quickly upgrade this new supercar and

it would be ABSOLUTELY great to offer a super type R version made of full carbon composite chassis with a longitudinal beefed up engine giving a nice 600 hp. In other words, to offer customers NSX GT1 performances numbers via the NA route.

Price: 140K $ us

Cheers!:) :) :)

You think that I am too much optimistic?

No I think that is the fair price to stay in the exotic super car league.
No more no less...If Honda can't do that they can't pretend to offer a super car...

Last edited:
Why would you want an even higher redline??? They are already taking the S2000 lower than it was because it wasn't any fun on the public roads...

Who the hell wants to shift into second a 60 @ 10,000 RPM... not me..

Well it has been confirmed that the new RL (called legend in other countries) coming in 05 is w/ a v6. It was thought it would share the same engine w/ the new nsx so if thats the case, then it will have a v6.

Most likely it will have 2 option in engines, if not then later on in its later years when the hp will increase, like 91 vs 97 270 to 290.

Additionally, it might be available w/ tons of performance options since its such a big market. Like the RSX type R, acura wanted to test the performance option market.

Back