• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gas prices

Gasp !!!!

Eric5273 said:
Prices will never go down again. You will never pay $1.30 again. Get used to it. As demand for oil around the world continues to grow, and supplies begin to decrease, prices will continue to rise. Simple laws of supply and demand.

Eric - is that you? The same Eric that claimed gas prices are a gov't and oil company conspiracy, to be inflated? The same Eric that I debated with previously, that the TRUE AND ONLY reason gas prices are increasing is because of supply-n-demand? Glad you finally got my point. :D

Re: Gasp !!!!

The russian oil giant OAO Yukos is in big trouble, the civil crisis in Nigeria (biggest African producer), the war in Iraq, the hurricanes in central America, the HUGE oil needs of China, the low reserve the US are storing. I really do not think you will get back to normal anywhere soon...

Be happy you do not pay 6$/gallon as here... but if I have to guess on the mid term (3 years?) you may reach 3$. Globalisation tends to level prices anywhere... I hope to be wrong! ;)

PS: now we reached 50$/barrel oil on the market and some analysis predicts 75$/barrel for the mid term (we were at 25$ two years ago)...

Re: Gasp !!!!

AndyVecsey said:
Eric - is that you? The same Eric that claimed gas prices are a gov't and oil company conspiracy, to be inflated? The same Eric that I debated with previously, that the TRUE AND ONLY reason gas prices are increasing is because of supply-n-demand? Glad you finally got my point. :D

Yes, but supply can be artificially controlled if the oil companies want to. They cut back the supply when they wish to and they can blame it on anything they want.

And to say that there is no conspiring between the government and the oil companies is about as true as Hoover's statement that there is no such thing as organized crime. Most of our foreign policy since the 1930s has been driven by oil.

I dont know about the $3 dollar mark. Theres been a saying for awhile (opec knows this), that the market in the u.s. will start to make a serious change. In CA, however, that rule doesnt apply, and we should expect to start paying that much shortly

$2.36 for Premium Texaco in Seattle

paladin said:
I dont know about the $3 dollar mark. Theres been a saying for awhile (opec knows this), that the market in the u.s. will start to make a serious change. In CA, however, that rule doesnt apply, and we should expect to start paying that much shortly

The only reason why you pay less on your side of the pond than we in Europe are the different taxes. They are huge here - if we took them away we would be on your level.

True, Wolfgang. Of the 6$/gallon we pay here, 2$ is oil and 4$ is taxes. Now there is a possible increase of 50% in the actual costs...

In this case (if some country won't decide to lower taxes and will keep them as they are now... that is the case most likely) we would have 7$/gallon in Europe and 3$/gallon in the US.

Prove It, Please

Eric5273 said:
And to say that there is no conspiring between the government and the oil companies is about as true as Hoover's statement that there is no such thing as organized crime. Most of our foreign policy since the 1930s has been driven by oil.

I disagree with the first sentence.....please provide substantiation.

I agree with the second sentence, because I disagree with the first sentence. World Wars 1 & 2 were because of oil. Desert Storm was because of oil. The US is friendly towards Israel because of oil. For the US (or any other) gov't to conspire with an oil producer to intentionally inflate oil prices is ludicrous.

Eric - I believe you to be an intelligent person.....unfortunately you have a jaundiced eye towards oil price economics. Say, did I tell you (I believe I have) that I've been in the oil industry for twenty-three years?

For the record, where I have once supported the book “The Color of Oil” by Michael Economides where he states there are 2-300 yrs left of producing oil, I now refute that claim. Proven world oil reserves are significantly less than that. Therefore, oil prices (and the resulting gasoline prices) are TRULY AND ONLY a function of supply-n-demand. People, this planet’s days are numbered with respect to fossil fuels being the provider of energy. Time to start believing the science fiction movies of the future.

Re: Prove It, Please

AndyVecsey said:
World Wars 1 & 2 were because of oil.

oops - I thought it was because of some of our weired leaders we Germans had in the past. Of course the oil supply played a role in WW II but I doubt that the WW I entry of U.S. in 1917 had something to do with oil.

History Lesson

I did not say that the US entered W W 1 because of oil.

I said that W W 1 & 2 were because of oil, not who started them or what the reason was for those that entered them.

Re: Prove It, Please

In general, wars are fought because of money -- which tends to be in the form of land and natural resources. Other reasons such as religion, racism and nationalism are only the reasons the leaders use to get support for the war from their citizens....but they are only lies used to manipulate the masses into supporting a war which is for the benefit of a few.

AndyVecsey said:
I disagree with the first sentence.....please provide substantiation.

Well, I don't mean to say they conspire with the oil companies to artificially raise the price of oil. The oil companies don't need the government to do that....they can do it all on their own if they wish to. What I meant was government conspiring to help the oil companies increase profits in other ways.

Since you are in the oil industry, I'm sure you are familiar with the "oil depreciation allowance". That alone was (and still is) government conspiring to put more money in the hands of the oil companies. No other industry has such a ludicrous tax code, which in this case, allows most oil companies to almost completely avoid paying any taxes at all.

AndyVecsey said:
I agree with the second sentence, because I disagree with the first sentence. World Wars 1 & 2 were because of oil. Desert Storm was because of oil. The US is friendly towards Israel because of oil. For the US (or any other) gov't to conspire with an oil producer to intentionally inflate oil prices is ludicrous.

Don't leave out the two current wars out of that list (Afghanistan and Iraq).

As I said above, I don't believe they conspire to raise oil prices. But they enter wars, spending hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars, and causing thousands of deaths, for the benefit of the oil companies, and then lie about the reasons for war to the masses by saying the war was to fight terrorism, communism, racism, genocide, etc.

And as NSX-Racer said above, the US government is clearly not the only one involved is such practices. World War II was clearly a war to conquer power and resources by the Germans, Italians and Japanese. Nationalism, Relgion, and Racism were just lies promoted by these governments to get support for the war from their people.

AndyVecsey said:
For the record, where I have once supported the book “The Color of Oil” by Michael Economides where he states there are 2-300 yrs left of producing oil, I now refute that claim. Proven world oil reserves are significantly less than that. Therefore, oil prices (and the resulting gasoline prices) are TRULY AND ONLY a function of supply-n-demand. People, this planet’s days are numbered with respect to fossil fuels being the provider of energy. Time to start believing the science fiction movies of the future.

Just curious, but what made you change your mind about this? The best stuff written on this subject in my opinion is Mike Ruppert's "Peak Oil" articles. He estimates 25-50 years of supply left depending on how much the increase in demand levels off.

Here is an excellent book on the subject of Peak Oil, how it is affecting the world today, and what effects it will have in the future:

Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil

No other industry has such a ludicrous tax code, which in this case, allows most oil companies to almost completely avoid paying any taxes at all.

Bogus.....federal income tax records of public companies are available to the shareholders. I challenge you to demonstrate to me that ExxonMobil (the world's largest oil company) avoids paying taxes. Go ahead, please try.

And as NSX-Racer said above, the US government is clearly not the only one involved is such practices. World War II was clearly a war to conquer power and resources by the Germans, Italians and Japanese. Nationalism, Relgion, and Racism were just lies promoted by these governments to get support for the war from their people.

You really need to brush up on your history. The US strongly resisted entering W W 2, but did so only after being attacked at Pearl Harbor. Just like modern times, we only engaged the war on terrorism because of the 9-11 attacks.

Just curious, but what made you change your mind about this?

Because of my studies. I have done oil & gas biz in Alaska, the lower 48, offshore Gulf of Mexico, Venezuela, Kuwait, Ecuador, Bolivia, Russia, India, Malaysia, etc. My conclusion does not agree with that of Michael Economides.

AndyVecsey said:
Bogus.....federal income tax records of public companies are available to the shareholders. I challenge you to demonstrate to me that ExxonMobil (the world's largest oil company) avoids paying taxes. Go ahead, please try.

Please explain your understanding of what the Oil Depreciation Allowance is.

AndyVecsey said:
You really need to brush up on your history. The US strongly resisted entering W W 2, but did so only after being attacked at Pearl Harbor. Just like modern times, we only engaged the war on terrorism because of the 9-11 attacks.

It sounds like you buy into the propoganda. In 1940, German citizens would have said the same thing about their invasions of Austria, Czechoslovakia and Poland. And Russians in 1980 would have said the same thing about their invasion of Afghanistan, just as they would say the same thing about their situation with Chechnya today.

This is how wars are started. You encourage your enemy to attack you. You do everything you can to make sure you are vulnerable to the attack that you know is coming, and then you launch a counter attack in the name of defending yourself. And if your enemy resists attacking you, then you stage the attack yourself and blame it on them anyway.

Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were no different than the Reichstag fire, the sinking of the Lucitania, the sinking of the USS Maine, or the Gulf of Tonkin incident. The only difference is that more people died in these 2 incidents, so people have a harder time believing their leaders could be so evil. It's denial, not truth.

Last edited:
Yeah.......I found it funny that he said that too. Roosevelt did everything he possibly could to provoke Hitler. We sunk several German ships, blockaded western ports from German ships, sent US pilots to help the British Air Force, but Hitler had too much on his hands and would not be provoked -- he refused to declare war on the US. He was trying to force the British into a peace treaty....he really had no desire to cross the channel, but Churchill would not give in.

So instead, once the axis powers formed their alliance, they turned their hopes to provoking Japan as a way to enter the European War. It's all in a memo written by General McColumn that has since been released through FOIA.

As far as 9/11, here is a good book so that you can "brush up on your history":

The War on Freedom: How and Why America was Attacked, September 11, 2001

Here is the Amazon description:

A disturbing exposé of the American government’s hidden agenda, before and after the Sept.11, 2001 terrorist attacks. A wide range of documents show U.S. officials knew in advance of the "Boeing bombing" plot, yet did nothing. Did the attacks fit in with plans for a more aggressive U.S. foreign policy? Nafeez Ahmed examines the evidence, direct and circumstantial, and lays it before the public in chilling detail: how FBI agents who uncovered the hijacking plot were muzzled, how CIA agents trained Al Qaeda members in terror tactics, how the Bush family profited from its business connections to the Bin Ladens, and from the Afghan war. A "must read" for anyone seeking to understand America’s New War on Terror.

Books

Eric / Arata - you have your books and I have mine.

Please consider this.....it was not until AFTER Pearl Harbor that Hiroshima and Nagasaki we nuked. That is my point of emphasis.

$2.14/gal in TN for premium on 10/3

Re: Books

AndyVecsey said:
Eric / Arata - you have your books and I have mine.

Please consider this.....it was not until AFTER Pearl Harbor that Hiroshima and Nagasaki we nuked. That is my point of emphasis.

Pearl Harbor was bombed on Dec 7 1941
War was declared by the USA on Japan the following day
The first testing of a Atomic bomb was in 1945
The Atomic bomb was droped on Hiroshima on Aug 6 1945
The second Atomic bomb was droped on Nagasaki on Aug 9 1945
These are facts not Your book My Book crap.
It would have been impossible to drop an Atomic bomb on anyone prior to its invention.
Your statement makes no sense, I would guess the book you got it from is the same one that supposed we resisted entering WW2.

You Are Confused

I said that Hiroshima and Nagasaki both occurred after Pearl Harbor. Your above dates support this statement. Note that in my previous post, I did not say the nuking happened immediately after Pearl Harbor, I just said it happened afterwards. Last I checked 1945 came after 1941. If you want to debate with me, please do not “put words in my mouth", lest you will be eating them. Thanks. Now.....how does my previous comment make no sense? :confused:

Last edited:
White94 said:
$2.14/gal in TN for premium on 10/3

2.07/gal in TN for premium on 10/4 at the same station.
Yesterday = NSX + weekend
Today = Daily + weekday

Do gas prices normally drop during the week?

Absolutely Incorrect

I drive by four gas stations (one independent, one Exxon, one Mobil, one Shell) every day on the way to work. Like any other cost conscious gasoline purchaser I watch for rising prices. In this major city with these major players, I will irrefutably say that the above comment is not true. Eric - you even mentioned it yourself, that prices are a function of supply-n-demand. What I have seen is that into the weekend, the gasoline prices creep up, but they are not artificially raised prior too such as what you assert.

Back