• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gas prices

Re: Absolutely Incorrect

AndyVecsey said:
I drive by four gas stations (one independent, one Exxon, one Mobil, one Shell) every day on the way to work. Like any other cost conscious gasoline purchaser I watch for rising prices. In this major city with these major players, I will irrefutably say that the above comment is not true. Eric - you even mentioned it yourself, that prices are a function of supply-n-demand. What I have seen is that into the weekend, the gasoline prices creep up, but they are not artificially raised prior too such as what you assert.

Nowhere did I use the worlds "artificially raised". I said prices go up before the weekend when most people need gas the most. If you want to examine this with your supply/demand logic, then you could say that demand is higher right before the weekend than afterwards.

Either way, the reasoning is the same. If I own a gas station, I charge what I can get -- that is simply what supply/demand means. If demand is large enough, I will be able to raise prices on Thursday and Friday and people will still buy my gasoline. If I raise prices and people do not buy, then obviously I will have to lower them because demand was not high enough. This is how the laws of supply & demand work. This is no different than how the power companies raise the price of electricity in the Summer -- they do so because they can.

I do not understand what you mean by using this term "artificially raised" -- please explain what this would entail. The price adjustments we are discussing here are day-to-day and happen at the gas-station level and not at the supplier level. While supply shortages can be "artificial", this would be a result of policy of the large oil companies (such as OPEC cutting production) and not of the local gas stations, and would certainly not cause changes in price on a daily basis, but more on a weekly or monthly basis.

Nowhere did I use the worlds "artificially raised"........I do not understand what you mean by using this term "artificially raised" -- please explain what this would entail.

GASP, everybody, Andy is about to apologize.....sort of. :)

When I first read your post about raising prices before the weekend, because of your long ago conspiracy theory that oil companies manipulate (not your exact words, but that is how I interpreted them) I jumped to the conclusion that you meant that gasoline stations arbitrarily raise prices (gouge) before the weekend commuters fill their tanks.

I agree with your description of short-term gasoline price fluctuations vs slower-moving oil price swings that have a "trickle down" effect on the former.

Wow, something else we agree on. :D

NSX-Racer said:
New York oil price now over $51 per barrel - no weekend effect of course - and no sign of a turnaround.

Now it's over $ 52 - it seems to rise $ 1 per day :eek:

One liter of Diesel for my NSX-towing car is now nearly 1.05 Euro - about 20 cents more than it has been at the beginning of the year.

Yeah, I'm still pissed off that the gas prices are not decreasing and I know they won't for a while. I went and looked at the gas prices were I live vs CA and NY. Maybe it's not that bad after all were I am at. I was able to do this here. How are the folks in NY and CA dealing with these gas prices? This sucks!!! :mad:

Last edited:
1TITENSX said:
Yeah, I'm still pissed off that the gas prices are not decreasing and I know they won't for a while.

Try EVER. This increase in price is not due to a temporary increase in demand or a temporary decrease in supply. It is due to perminant trends on both sides of the supply/demand equation. Prices will continue to rise until eventually there is no more oil remaining on the planet. The only thing we can hope for to keep our fuel costs down are more fuel efficient cars such as the new hybrids, and an eventual alternative energy source other than oil.

Eric5273 said:
Try EVER. This increase in price is not due to a temporary increase in demand or a temporary decrease in supply. It is due to perminant trends on both sides of the supply/demand equation. Prices will continue to rise until eventually there is no more oil remaining on the planet. The only thing we can hope for to keep our fuel costs down are more fuel efficient cars such as the new hybrids, and an eventual alternative energy source other than oil.

How true...
Oil companies get away with what they can.

We do have the technology for alternative fuel/hybrid cars now.
We just haven't found out how to make a good profit on them.
A bit of a lose statement I know (please don't ask for all the
documentation to support such a claim.) :redface:
Our economy is so wrapped up in fossil fuel, that it will take
decades to shift away from our past habits.

I have a friend who is involved in the "Coast 2 Coast Project"
here in Southern California. People from various diciplines across
the country have come together to build a car which can go from
L.A. to Miami on a single tank of gas. I'm sure we'll hear more
about it in the media when the project is close to it's actual run.

In the meantime here are some good gas price searching sites:

Gas price watch.com
and
Gas buddy.com

Casper91 said:
How true...
Oil companies get away with what they can.

We do have the technology for alternative fuel/hybrid cars now.
We just haven't found out how to make a good profit on them.

They have not tried to figure that out. The oil companies wield huge political power in this country and they have done what they can to squash any attempts at this. The politicians talk up a good storm, but it's all just talk.

I had been very interested in the whole electric vehicle concept a few years ago, and I did a lot of reading on the whole EV-1 project by GM. That project fell apart after a couple of years with claims from GM that such a car could not be profitable. The car magazines such as Car & Driver and others cooperated with this theory in writing extensive artilces to back up this position.

Many of those involved in the project spoke out after it was cancelled and accused GM of planning the project with the goal to be falure so they could discourage any future electric vehicle projects and answer any political or public presure they may encounter with the answer "we tried and it doesn't work". The more I have read on this subject, the more I am convinced that this is the case.

The whole hybrid concept is very much welcomed by the oil companies since this will prolong the use of oil and will discourage people to look for alternative fuels.

$3.03 for premium yesterday at a chevron gas station in Torrance, CA area :biggrin:

Why Crap ??

ChopsJazz said:
I hope you didn't put that crap in the NSX. :eek:

Why are you calling Shell gasoline "crap"? :confused:

Did you know that Shell is an approved supplier of race fuel and lubricants to a certain Formula One race team? :rolleyes: That would be Ferrari.

Because Shell’s gas is good enough for them, I totally disagree with you calling their product "crap". They aren't one of the world's top three oil companies by selling "crap". Sheesh, some people probably had one bad experience with a company's product and now thinks all their gasoline is crap". :mad:

Or are you calling it "crap" because of the price? :confused: If so, then all gasolines are currently "crap".

STOCKTONSX said:
Prices here in the valley:

$2.17 for 87 octane

$2.27 for 89 octane

$2.37 for 91 octane

I think it is time for me to buy a barel of cool blue 100--$2.37 for garbage 91 octane is rediculous.

Ravi

DANG You guys, gas here is about $2.835, $3.071 $3.228 . It's insane.

Back