• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gave up on Honda...

... and got an R8.

It's everything that the next NSX should have been. Mid engine, 4 wheel drive, 187MPH, gorgeous looks, and it inspires passion like you can't believe. It beats my beloved (and highly modified) NSX in every possible way - power, handling, braking, accelleration, sound, looks, you name it. It's absolutely neutrally balanced - even with Hoosiers, if you exceed the grip of the tires, it very calmly slides on all 4 wheels and then recovers easily. No more snap tail spin! On the track, it's right about as fast as a Porsche GT3.

And talk about passion - you are an instant celebrity when you drive this (especially in red). Crowds of people surround it at the gas station, with cell phone cameras clicking. I really have very little desire to drive the NSX when this one is around, the NSX now seems very dated. But I'm keeping it, the wife likes having her own sports car and is now tracking it!

Yes, it did cost more than the NSX. And it's worth it! Had to wait a year to get it, there's only about 200 of them in the US now.

127Small.jpg

091Small.jpg

Engine.jpg

Tremendously awesome car. Audi is where Honda was back in the early 90's. Very active on the race scene, and they really have the drive to create a car that is first in class and really inspires passion. They have done it, big time.

Get one of these if you can.

Jeff

Last edited:
Well I have seen your NSX(and ridden in it at Road Atlanta), so if you do decide to get rid of it let me know...I might be interested. Congrats on the R8. I agree that its everything the next gen NSX should have been.

Wow, it looks great in red! Congrats on the new ride...:cool:

Congrats Jeff! The car is stunning.

Question for you. On all the pics I've seen of the R8, that section behind the door is black or dark grey. Is having the that section the same color as the rest of the car an option?

Mmmmm new car smell! Grats man! :biggrin:

Question for you. On all the pics I've seen of the R8, that section behind the door is black or dark grey. Is having the that section the same color as the rest of the car an option?

Those CF 'blades' are interchangeable. I think most R8s came with the non-painted CF blades. I think they are fairly easy to change out to give the car a new look. I believe they cost about $1500 for the pair. I personally think red with CF blades looks awesome!

Awesome car!!! Did you get a traditional 6-speed? What other options? I heard options are the reason most R8s are priced over MSRP. Did you disconnect the exhaust valve yet?

Congratulations!

I am eating my words. I came from not liking the look of the R8 to R8 lover. I have seen a black R8 rolling in LA area several times, it has that wow, OMG that look good. The presence it had on the road is just so amazing.

R8 is one of the cars that looks 100 times better in person.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the side blades are a tough decision for me. Like the rear wing on the NSX, the side blades on an R8 are the "signature" item for that car. When ordering the car (and they are all built to the owner's spec in Germany and then are shipped over), you get your choice of silver blades at no extra cost, black CF blades (except due to the worldwide CF shortage, they were not available from the factory when I ordered), or you could pay $1000 for the matching side blade option, which I did. I can get the CF sideblades right away now for $4k from aftermarket sources. I'm really torn, it looks very clean the way it is, and I get a lot of compliments on NOT having the wierd missmatched side blades. I'm going to keep it as is for now.

I got it with the interior leather upgrade (full dash and full doors and other stuff in nice leather), GPS/Rear camera option, 6 speed manual, and didn't get the 400 watt B&O stereo with 12 speakers.

Audi was having problems with unscrupulous dealers holding buyers hostage, by accepting offers from others for say $20K over MSRP, and then asking the ordering buyer to beat that deal or not get the car. I've heard several horror stories. So what they do now is have the dealers agree to charge MSRP but I had to sign an agreement of first offer to sell the car back to them if I sell it within the first year. The dealer I worked with had a used 2008 with 1,500 miles they were asking $30K over MSRP. So I paid MSRP.

No, I didn't disconnect the exhaust valve, I bought a really hot aftermarket exhaust that uses the exhaust valve to totally bypass the muffler. So when it kicks in to loud mode, it's open headers race-car loud. Killer sound! video

I've had it a month and have already run it at Sebring and VIR. It's breathtaking on the track, and most owners never take it there. Doing Barber this weekend with Chin.

Jeff

The R8 is a great car but...

I am glad you like the R8. It is good looking has ample power and certainly quite rare. BUT, it is not an NSX replacement.

The only NSX replacement will be made by HONDA.

I agree that it seems like we have been waiting for ever for a replacement for the beloved NSX. Finally there is concrete evidence of an extraordinary car due to take the place of the NSX. I have, as have other true HONDA enthusiasts, waited for so long for HONDA to do what they are finally about to do and to give up at this point seems unthinkable, at least to some of us.
A few of us are hung up on a mid engine powerplant as a must for the NSX replacement. It is the performance and handling which matters most, the placement of the engine is not the end all of the concept for a replacement. Face it, is the hands of 99.9% of the drivers who are driving on the public roads, a front engine and four wheel drive car is the best possible set up.

The R8 has its strong points but it also has a few things that ought to be considered in a fair light.

First of all it is an Audi. Not the most reliable cars out there.

Second, while it has great handling, it does not have the best or most powerful Audi powerplant. Amazingly enough that powerplant has found its first use in a four door Audi sedan and a station wagon before the Audi R8:eek: I understand that is to be remedied soon with a diesel and then the more powerful v10 engine finding its way in the engine bay of the R8. An engine bay that is incidentally large enough for a V10. Clearly something Audi was planning from the begining.

Third, much less expensive but almost equally powerful mid engine cars are planned by Audi [?TT replacement] and parent company VW.

Fourth, Audi seems to be using the front design treatment complete with the staring LCD headligths for several of its models. That takes away from the "exotic" looks of the R8.

Fifth, and most importantly [this is after all an Acura/Honda NSX forum:wink:], it is not made by the best automotive company in the world, hands down, HONDA. HONDA's engineering is legend.

What HONDA did almost two decades ago should be some indication of what is about to be unleashed by the very same powerhouse.

But if you just had to purchase a non HONDA product, you could have done a lot worse. So congratulations:smile:

Have fun!I like the fact that you are driving it:biggrin: Also great choice on the body colored blades.Now all it needs is some carbon fiber dash overlays from Lithuania:tongue:

I think red blades are only available on a red car. You can't get white blades on a white car. You can't even get black blades on a black car but you can get almost black blades. It looks pretty good in red.

Edit: The video was excellent and the car seems on rails at the 7:47 mark.

Last edited:
The car sounds great, but I disagree with the R8 being a "gorgeous" car. It looks like a souped up VW bug. It's not exotic looking at all. It's an ugly car. I hope when Honda finally figures something out, it resembles the HSC. That was a beautiful car. I'm not crapping on this guys R8, I just think the NSX is still a much better looking car.

The car sounds great, but I disagree with the R8 being a "gorgeous" car. It looks like a souped up VW bug. It's not exotic looking at all. It's an ugly car. I hope when Honda finally figures something out, it resembles the HSC. That was a beautiful car. I'm not crapping on this guys R8, I just think the NSX is still a much better looking car.

great choice, love r8's but prefer a different color than red

The R8 look may only be appreciated when you are standing in front of it. It may not be photogenic on photo. I was following one last month and the car is superwide, low and beautiful. Congrates on getting the R8. Enjoy in good health.

Engine.jpg

Wow! How big is that air filter? :wink:

Absolutely magnificent! The first time I saw an R8, it was from the oncoming traffic and I was in my NSX. When that thing approached and passed me, I immediately felt the R8-envy. That's the last straw! I am sending the kids to public school!
Congratulations!
Steve

Re: The R8 is a great car but...

Congrats on your beautiful car!!! Enjoy your new car.

A few of us are hung up on a mid engine powerplant as a must for the NSX replacement. It is the performance and handling which matters most, the placement of the engine is not the end all of the concept for a replacement.

Agreed.

First of all it is an Audi. Not the most reliable cars out there.

Not true anymore. Acura has been rated below average in terms of quality by JD Powers ranking in the past few years. Audi has continuously improved reliability and quality over time.

Second, while it has great handling, it does not have the best or most powerful Audi powerplant. Amazingly enough that powerplant has found its first use in a four door Audi sedan and a station wagon before the Audi R8:eek: I understand that is to be remedied soon with a diesel and then the more powerful v10 engine finding its way in the engine bay of the R8. An engine bay that is incidentally large enough for a V10. Clearly something Audi was planning from the begining.

I do not see what is the issue here. This only proves that Audi is continuously evolving and improving the performance of the R8. On the other hand, the NSX remained relatively the same for almost 15 years.

Third, much less expensive but almost equally powerful mid engine cars are planned by Audi [?TT replacement] and parent company VW.

So, what is the point? Many other car manufacturers practice similar tactics... what makes the R8 less desirable?

Fourth, Audi seems to be using the front design treatment complete with the staring LCD headligths for several of its models. That takes away from the "exotic" looks of the R8.

If I remember correctly, Prelude and Integra from the 90s borrowed similar design cues from the NSX. I hardly see any R8s on the street. I do not know how similar deisgn treatment takes away the exotic looks.

What HONDA did almost two decades ago should be some indication of what is about to be unleashed by the very same powerhouse.

We will have to see about this. Other manufacturers have really raised their game in the last two decades. Some would say that the modern day Ferraris are, gasp, reliable. :eek:

Re: The R8 is a great car but...

I understand that is to be remedied soon with a diesel

I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Remember when the 2 door Honda Accord came out in '98 with NSX-style tail lights? I don't think it took anything away from the NSX.

Back