• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Google Fiber

I'm curious how they can afford to do it with todays technology.
Regardless, it is a game changer.
One thing it might open up is the ability to boot your computer off a hard drive in the cloud. Not just have your data in the cloud, but having your FULL c: drive in the cloud. You press boot, your bios connects to the cloud and starts the boot. Just a question of bandwidth.

Google give away better technology than Apple charges for.

That is exactly their problem. Their "Don't be evil." mantra works against them. FYI, Steve Jobs' first order of business when he came back to Apple was to cut all philanthropic activities. He was a capitalist through and through and look where he took Apple. I think it is time for Google to get off their ass ass and start patenting things like electricity and glass; They need to learn from Apple and follow suit since our patent system is obviously allowing this insanity.

I hope it becomes successful and Google moves to other markets. It'll put a lot of pressure on all the cable, dish, and phone companies. My cable bill is ridiculously high and no where near what Google Fiber is offering.

That is exactly their problem. Their "Don't be evil." mantra works against them. FYI, Steve Jobs' first order of business when he came back to Apple was to cut all philanthropic activities. He was a capitalist through and through and look where he took Apple. I think it is time for Google to get off their ass ass and start patenting things like electricity and glass; They need to learn from Apple and follow suit since our patent system is obviously allowing this insanity.

What are you saying? Apple's patent of the rectangle shouldn't be valid. Of course Steve Jobs invented Geometry and Trigonometry.
Miner

Im thinking googles stock will jump through the roof. That make switching to an all google(cell phone, tablet, home PC) setup attractive. i have 12mb from Uverse and it's decent, i can't imagine having 100mb download speeds. I'd get rid of uverse in a heartbeat for the google setup.
Im offshore in brazil and it seems like all this is dial up at best!

Someone needs to change things up. The big companies shouldn't even offer slow speeds like dsl light anymore. I always get crappy speeds at hotels because they normally get the slowest speed they can. I remote connect to home and have 25mb with comcast but i am still stuck with the speed at the other end. Same goes for some websites that use slow connection speeds that take a long time to load.

Mike

Someone needs to change things up. The big companies shouldn't even offer slow speeds like dsl light anymore. I always get crappy speeds at hotels because they normally get the slowest speed they can. I remote connect to home and have 25mb with comcast but i am still stuck with the speed at the other end. Same goes for some websites that use slow connection speeds that take a long time to load.

Mike

Google is offering an really nice package at an acceptable price. Makes me feel like ive been getting screwed for a long time.

One thing it might open up is the ability to boot your computer off a hard drive in the cloud. Not just have your data in the cloud, but having your FULL c: drive in the cloud. You press boot, your bios connects to the cloud and starts the boot. Just a question of bandwidth.

Basically, a dum terminal with a mainframe. Sound familiar?

lol, full circle.
I doubt it will happen though. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it makes sense. The cloud is kind of a joke to me.

The entire point is for scalability and continuity of operations. Being able to rapidly deploy solutions for various applications and database requirements and control security and licensing from a centralized point (whether we're talking about engineer and infrastructure, or operations and maintenance) makes perfect sense.

Having a cloud infrastructure at one data center failing over to another data center in a different geographic location is ideal of COOP and DR. Even better, that everything can be completely monitored and setup on charge back models in order to reduce IT budgets so that you are only paying for what you actually USE, not what you THINK you will use with a potential shortage or surplus.

I deal with this stuff in the Federal Government, I'm a big supporter given the possible functionality. It boils down to the implementation, willingness for an agency to adapt, security controls (since we're talking about shared resources), and most importantly, chargeback controls.

^^^ The trick is defining 'cloud'. I was in a conference with the CIO of Citrix last week, and someone asked him that very question.
He almost couldn't define 'cloud'. He said it's anything that's not in your datacenter. Ummm... Okay.
I agree, having a colo for servers is smart, but that's not really 'cloud' in my book.

I disagree about centralizing. The cloud is the opposite of centralizing.
2 years ago if I had to lock out a user, I went into AD and did it. Today my guys have to go through a list of misc cloud providers. And who knows what HR signed up for that I don't know about. Next thing you know users have 50 different logins to 50 different 'cloud' apps all with client data in them. No thanks.

I'm also not sure it's smart to have your customers social security numbers and bank records floating around in things like Amazons cloud.
As we know, there's NOTHING that can't be hacked. The bigger the target, the quicker it goes down. It's only a matter of time before some of these cloud providers get hacked.

From my perspective, cloud only makes sense when the data isn't sensitive. Things like hosted web servers, hosted spam filters. That makes sense.

I'm not tied to my beliefs though, tell me where I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Sounds like a cereal.

googlefiber%5B2%5D.jpg

^^^ The trick is defining 'cloud'. I was in a conference with the CIO of Citrix last week, and someone asked him that very question.
He almost couldn't define 'cloud'. He said it's anything that's not in your datacenter. Ummm... Okay.
I agree, having a colo for servers is smart, but that's not really 'cloud' in my book.

2 years ago if I had to lock out a user, I went into AD and did it. Today my guys have to go through a list of misc cloud providers. And who knows what HR signed up for that I don't know about. Next thing you know users have 50 different logins to 50 different 'cloud' apps all with client data in them. No thanks.

I'm also not sure it's smart to have your customers social security numbers and bank records floating around in things like Amazons cloud.
As we know, there's NOTHING that can't be hacked. The bigger the target, the quicker it goes down. It's only a matter of time before some of these cloud providers get hacked.

From my perspective, cloud only makes sense when the data isn't sensitive. Things like hosted web servers, hosted spam filters. That makes sense.

I meant centralized in the sense of saying, the entire cloud exists within a data center, with a COOP data center strategically located elsewhere. Centralized to the point that you have multiple nodes running on a RAC where you can easily deploy VM's to host applications. Centralized to where you have a RAC server with grid updates on Oracle, in order to push out to consolidated databases sharing schemas for various applications.

I'm getting into the weeds which is beyond the point.

Several guys in my grad school program were talking about this yesterday. Hadn't heard a discussion about it except on prime until then. News is traveling fast.

I meant centralized in the sense of saying, the entire cloud exists within a data center, with a COOP data center strategically located elsewhere. Centralized to the point that you have multiple nodes running on a RAC where you can easily deploy VM's to host applications. Centralized to where you have a RAC server with grid updates on Oracle, in order to push out to consolidated databases sharing schemas for various applications.

I'm getting into the weeds which is beyond the point.

I think we're actually probably close to agreement. Just different terminology.
The idea of having my datacenter in a cage at Peak10 sounds great to me. I don't consider that cloud, but I can see how that fits the definition.

um fiber is actually extremely cheap.... bandwidth at everyones houses is going to double or tripple within the next 2 years.

Sounds like you need to federate identity management with your "AAAS, application as a service" cloud providers via ADFS/ILM/FIM/LDAP.

Agree that data security classification is an important architectural design factor when considering data placement in a cloud solution. Most of my client's keep databases in their DC(s) and run app/web layer up in the cloud for scalability and usage pricing models.

IAAS (infrastructure as a service) is more what Hijacker is talking about...

for the idea of booting off the cloud- nope, try this instead:

Boot off a USB key into a shell OS, then REMOTE into your cloud-based VM
That's what I do everyday (no worries if my laptop/data is stolen, destroyed, etc) since its just a piece of access hardware with a nice screen.
(by the way I connect everyday over a 4G tethered connection or Wifi)
I never worry about bandwidth and my downloads happen on BIG pipes.
I can also access my VM from ANY computer with an Internet connection

Keeping with the thread:
I'd sell someone's gramma to get google fiber to my house.

Last edited:
The cost isn't in the material of the fiber, it is in laying it.

That is true but i believe most of the cost would be in the transport mux/demux equipment, cause i ain't cheap :biggrin:.

This thread kinda went to the clouds.

Mike

The cost isn't in the material of the fiber, it is in laying it.

most cities are covered with conduit that's filled with whats called "Dark fiber" that is fiber runs that are not being used. These are sold to different folks to make interconnects between ISP's or businesses. So they rarely have to dig anything up as all the pipes are there. And running more fiber thru these pipes is very easy too.

Back