• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Got my CTech SC/AEM dyno'd!!!

Hey Racerxjling

I'm getting a standard CTSC. I was looking at Comptech's dyno and if I buy ALL of their stuff I see about 100 hp gain.

I'm not looking for super performance, just to add a little fun to my daily driver.

Has anybody installed their own CTSC? Any pointers?

PaynNSX said:
Interesting dyno comparison article.

Dynamometers (all brands) are for bragging and great for tuning.
Yep, interesting. Thanks for sharing, Devin. As I said, "They are a tool [tuning], and also something we can talk about here [bragging] amongst fellow enthusiests." I like what the article closes with "The bottom line: dyno numbers are for show, and track times are for the dough!"

Re: More thought

I think it maybe different because I am thinking AWD cars like my evo. That car is rated stock at 272 and it put down 240awhp when I dynoed it. Now if I put that car on a DD it would read about 190-200 whp. I dono what is the best I just wanted to let everyone know that if he used a different dyno he would get different numbers. I know the stage 2 evo with a hks3037 turbo on a evo will put down about 450whp on that dyno and turn low 11's @ 126ish MPH. The GT35R turbo I have seen on the evo put down 495whp and ran a 10.6 @ 130+mph @ 27psi the 3037 was maxed out at about 32-33PSI.

KGP said:
As I think about this further, the spreadsheet makes even less sense. Using how you think the spreadsheet works, if you plug-in a 3.2 NSX flywheel HP of 290, the calculation returns 207 rwhp for the DD. That would mean the NSX drive train robbs the NSX engine of 28% of its power. Now I'm not a Honda engineer, but I know darn well that the NSX drive train is not that inefficient.

Using the Dynapak calc in the spreadsheet, we are returned 244rwhp for the 290hp NSX. That equates to a 15.8% drive-train loss. Sounds a bit more realistic to me. ;) Given those results, the Dynapak look much more like a true representation of the power being put to the pavement.

Not saying the DD is not a nice tool, but someone is fudging with some numbers here. ;)

Hi Drew-

I bought the car w/ the CTSC already installed. However, I did the new injectors, fuel pump (pain in the A*S), AEM FPR, headers, intake, exhaust. After looking at the setup and the instructions (copy on CTech's website) it would definitely be a DIY job.

Good luck.

Jeff

Hey Jeff, bringing this thread back from below.

I've got a similar setup I am preparing to install on my car (just getting the rest of the components rounded up) - I noticed reading through the parts list that you didn't mention you had a dual-channel or single-channel UEGO - did you not install one with the EMS? Was it recommended to you by AutoWave?

Hmm...have to say I don't even know what a UEGO is??? I just know I don't have one installed. Is it an O2 sensor?? I have a FJO wideband O2 sensor if that's what you are referring to.

Jeff

Ahh, OK, that's what I was hoping. I guess the UEGO is AEM's version of a wideband O2 sensor; they have a single channel and a dual channel version, I am looking at doing the dual channel with this setup.

Thanks again for all the help/info here on Prime!

I had the O2 sensor bung welded cleanly to the flex pipe for the CTech headers. Just be careful with running the wires as they melt with contact of the hot headers.

Good luck.

Jeff

Racerxjling said:
Drew-

I bought the car w/ the CTSC installed. Autowave does AWESOME work. Shane is very fair and honest. I would just get a quote from him. He had to modify the blower and R&R it in order for the vacuum to work with the AEM.

...are saying the CTSC's need to be R & R'd and modified to be compatible with the AEM ECU's ?

I was one of the 1st if not thee first for Autowave w/ the CTSC/AEM combo. I don't remember what they modified on the head of the SC but they did remove it. Shane at Autowave can tell you what is necessary.

Jeff

We just finished my supercharger install a short while ago; I might be way off (I wasn't paying too much attention), but what probably got changed was the Hobbes switch on the bottom of the intake manifold, that was used for the Comptech fuel management system. Also, since you run the AEM 2-bar MAP sensor, they most likely placed that there, as well - same sized hole.

Just a thought...

burbel said:
We just finished my supercharger install a short while ago; I might be way off (I wasn't paying too much attention), but what probably got changed was the Hobbes switch on the bottom of the intake manifold, that was used for the Comptech fuel management system. Also, since you run the AEM 2-bar MAP sensor, they most likely placed that there, as well - same sized hole.

Just a thought...

Was that a difficult procedure for them ? It doesn't sound too laborous...how much did they charge you to have this done ? (I'm looking to do the CTSC + AEM as well)

Racerxjling said:
Hi Drew-

I bought the car w/ the CTSC already installed. However, I did the new injectors, fuel pump (pain in the A*S), AEM FPR, headers, intake, exhaust. After looking at the setup and the instructions (copy on CTech's website) it would definitely be a DIY job.

Good luck.

Jeff

Which model of Walbro fuel pump did you add? How much does it cost and where is a good place to buy it? I need one because the stock pump is not supplying enough fuel pressure in my case too.

-CiaoBoy

I ran the Walbro 255HP...make sure it's the HP for high pressure. Don't remember where I got it but it was around $250. BadCarma on here gave me the contact info to purchase the pump.

Good luck.

Jeff

I dealt with Lightning Motorsports for my parts; the Walbro 255 lph HP pump is currently $109 with the install kit to fit in the tank. They also sold me my AEM, injectors, etc., at a great price - I'd recommend looking them up, tell them Brian with the supercharged NSX sent ya. ;)

burbel said:
I dealt with Lightning Motorsports for my parts; the Walbro 255 lph HP pump is currently $109 with the install kit to fit in the tank. They also sold me my AEM, injectors, etc., at a great price - I'd recommend looking them up, tell them Brian with the supercharged NSX sent ya. ;)

I noticed they were one of the sponsored links when I did a Google search for "walbro fuel pump". $109 is a lot cheaper than $250. :)

-CiaoBoy

Nice dyno, how do you like the aem?

The dyno and afr speaks for itself. The only "hiccup" so far is some idle hunting issues after the car is driven/warmed up. I may have AEM take a look at it. Otherwise, it has been flawless. Car runs strong.

Jeff

Racerxjling said:
The dyno and afr speaks for itself. The only "hiccup" so far is some idle hunting issues after the car is driven/warmed up. I may have AEM take a look at it. Otherwise, it has been flawless. Car runs strong.

Jeff

I have idle hunting issues as well. I'm putting in a stronger fuel pump next Friday, so we'll see if that helps.

-CiaoBoy

I already have a Walbro 255HP and an AEM FPR. However, I don't know what Autowave set my fuel pressure at. I spoke to AEM and they thought it was too lean. It's obviously not too lean on the AFR but don't know how it works upon starting the car.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thx
Jeff

Racerxjling said:
I already have a Walbro 255HP and an AEM FPR. However, I don't know what Autowave set my fuel pressure at. I spoke to AEM and they thought it was too lean. It's obviously not too lean on the AFR but don't know how it works upon starting the car.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thx
Jeff

I'm putting in the Walbro 255HP next Friday. I just have the Comptech RRFPR. The car was too lean when the supercharger was installed. Now it's not running lean until 7000+ rpm. But there is some idle hunting and some power surging/loss that is more prominent when the engine is cold. Don't know what's causing this. I'm hoping it's the stock fuel pump that is not supplying enough fuel pressure when the car is cold. We'll see if adding the Walbro will cure these symptoms.

-CiaoBoy

Back