• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue U.S., April 17, 2008

I'm finally working my way through the S Class events...have the Ferrari F430, F40, and just did the challenge with the Mine's GT-R. I need to buy a Ford GT, but not sure if I'm going to wait and get the GT Concept one.

I have mostly golds pre-S (one silver each in C, in B, and in A)...the GT-R tuned seems to eat through the 680pp events without any challenge. I have more fun going through the 630pp events with the NSX-R.

I've been splitting my free time between GTAIV and GT5: Prologue, hence the slow progress in both.

What I want to know now is if Nürburgring Nordschleife is indeed coming to GT5: Prologue...apparently they have a version of GT5: P running at the 24 hour race there.

So how is the AI in GT5 Prologue? Is it the same as in GT3 and GT4? For example, do the AI cars ever go off thier line to avoid hitting you as you brake for a corner (or at least adjust their braking time so as not to slam you into the wall)?

So how is the AI in GT5 Prologue? Is it the same as in GT3 and GT4? For example, do the AI cars ever go off thier line to avoid hitting you as you brake for a corner (or at least adjust their braking time so as not to slam you into the wall)?

I've noticed some interesting things about the AI... It is much better than the previous versions..

But if you play the same race over and over again, which is what you have to do to save up $$$, you might see the same car spin out in the same place...

I only saw this happen in one session though so its rare to be able to predict what the other cars are going to do...

For the most part its pretty smart... Some of the drivers can be pretty aggressive. If you try to knock them off the road, they will try to wreck you back lol

Interesting...

After playing GT3 and "mastering" it, and then getting GT4 and feeling like that game was a bit of a let down in terms of being a "new" game, I'm a little skeptical of GT5.

I want the following:

More tunability on all cars (turbo/supercharge ANY car I want... as well as control the boost; increase the displacement on ANY car I want, not just Civics or Skylines). I want the tuning to be more realistic. Rather than the game just applying a formula (or whatever it does) to calculate horsepower numbers... let's see some actual trade offs between this mod or that. Turbo lag needs to be more realistic.

Engine swaps would be cool.

The cars need to feel more different from each other. I felt that GT3 did a much better job of differentiating between the differences from one car to the next than GT4 did.

And one thing that I ABSOLUTELY want to see is a REASON to own a front wheel drive car other than for that one stupid race that requires it. For example, if it were up to me, I'd make entire leagues based upon drive train.

A-Spec Points are a nice touch, but they don't actually produce a tangible reward. Make certain races only playable after achieving a certain number of points (or perhaps after achieving a certain number of points on a certain track. For example, in order to "unlock" a bonus stage, you have to beat a prior stage with a certain A-Spec score. Or your A-Spec point may influence the amount of winnings you get or the prize car or whatever.

It would be nice if manual and auto transmission cars actually had different transmissions (6 speed manual, 4 speed auto, for example).

I would like to see various mods affect the weight of the car. Big breaks are heavy! Roll cages add some weight, too... lighter weight wheels reduce unsprug mass etc...

It's time to take it to the next level. There are other games that go into this level of detail with the tuning (Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3, to name an OLD one), but GT needs it in order to monopolize, IMHO.

I love GT, but in order for me to drop $6,000,000 (or however much it costs) on a PS3, GT5 will have to BLOW previous GTs out of the water, hands down.

Interesting...

After playing GT3 and "mastering" it, and then getting GT4 and feeling like that game was a bit of a let down in terms of being a "new" game, I'm a little skeptical of GT5.

I want the following:

More tunability on all cars (turbo/supercharge ANY car I want... as well as control the boost; increase the displacement on ANY car I want, not just Civics or Skylines). I want the tuning to be more realistic. Rather than the game just applying a formula (or whatever it does) to calculate horsepower numbers... let's see some actual trade offs between this mod or that. Turbo lag needs to be more realistic.

Engine swaps would be cool.

The cars need to feel more different from each other. I felt that GT3 did a much better job of differentiating between the differences from one car to the next than GT4 did.

And one thing that I ABSOLUTELY want to see is a REASON to own a front wheel drive car other than for that one stupid race that requires it. For example, if it were up to me, I'd make entire leagues based upon drive train.

A-Spec Points are a nice touch, but they don't actually produce a tangible reward. Make certain races only playable after achieving a certain number of points (or perhaps after achieving a certain number of points on a certain track. For example, in order to "unlock" a bonus stage, you have to beat a prior stage with a certain A-Spec score. Or your A-Spec point may influence the amount of winnings you get or the prize car or whatever.

It would be nice if manual and auto transmission cars actually had different transmissions (6 speed manual, 4 speed auto, for example).

I would like to see various mods affect the weight of the car. Big breaks are heavy! Roll cages add some weight, too... lighter weight wheels reduce unsprug mass etc...

It's time to take it to the next level. There are other games that go into this level of detail with the tuning (Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3, to name an OLD one), but GT needs it in order to monopolize, IMHO.

I love GT, but in order for me to drop $6,000,000 (or however much it costs) on a PS3, GT5 will have to BLOW previous GTs out of the water, hands down.

I can tell you that this new version is far and away light years ahead of any of the GT games... Its the only reason I got a PS3 and I can say I have no regrets.

Once you complete classes C, B & A, you move on to S class which allows you to tune the car.

The things you can tune are the following:

Weight
Power
Ride Height
Camber/Toe
Shock damper
Spring rate
Gear Ratios

Each item has a 'performance point' and all the races in the S class have limitations on how much you can modify the car. I have only been able to win one race in the S class as of yet.

So engine swaps, adding roll cages etc are asking a bit much for an already amazingly intricate game. Read more about it in this thread and theres another thread going on this board here. GL :)

just got this on Friday.

I'm not nearly as good as I thought. Maybe I need to buy a wheel. It's hard for me to justify spending $100+ on a wheel for one game that I'm more than half-way through though.

just got this on Friday.

I'm not nearly as good as I thought. Maybe I need to buy a wheel. It's hard for me to justify spending $100+ on a wheel for one game that I'm more than half-way through though.

yea im thinking about getting the wheel... I'm finding my limit is at the S class where all the cars are tuned and its very difficult to start in 16th place and get even anywhere near 3rd place.. (which is what you need to complete the event).... sigh! not sure how much a wheel will help! :rolleyes:

yea im thinking about getting the wheel... I'm finding my limit is at the S class where all the cars are tuned and its very difficult to start in 16th place and get even anywhere near 3rd place.. (which is what you need to complete the event).... sigh! not sure how much a wheel will help! :rolleyes:

I'm maxing out in some of the A class races. Maybe more practice.

I was having trouble beating the F40 challenge in S Class with the dual thumbsticks. Couldn't get any better than sixth. Then I hooked up my wheel...3rd place on the first try.

That said, I haven't been able to finish better than third...but I'll keep trying because third earns 20,000cr, one lap of Suzuka doesn't take all that long, and I really don't mind listening to the F40's engine over and over again. :D

As for trying to guess how Polyphony Digital will structure the progression for GT5 (based on Prologue's structure), it is really hard to say. I mean, GT4: Prologue was essentially just license tests...so, in that case, you couldn't really tell how GT4's progression would be when it finally came out. GT5: Prologue, however, already introduces new concepts into the Gran Turismo formula including online multiplayer (up to 16 players), events limited by performance points (which can be allocated towards weight, power, downforce, etc.), on-the-fly tuning of various attributes (TCS, ABS, brake balance...). One can assume that the full game will see the return of tuning based on parts, but I'm sure that both the on-the-fly and quick tune features from Prologue will still apply.

It has been said that GT5: Prologue will also get physical damage modeling later in the year as free downloadable content.

I'm also guessing that we'll see some other surprises by the time the full game comes out.

Last edited:
I was having trouble beating the F40 challenge in S Class with the dual thumbsticks. Couldn't get any better than sixth. Then I hooked up my wheel...3rd place on the first try.

That said, I haven't been able to finish better than third...but I'll keep trying because third earns 20,000cr, one lap of Suzuka doesn't take all that long, and I really don't mind listening to the F40's engine over and over again. :D

As for trying to guess how Polyphony Digital will structure the progression for GT5 (based on Prologue's structure), it is really hard to say. I mean, GT4: Prologue was essentially just license tests...so, in that case, you couldn't really tell how GT4's progression would be when it finally came out. GT5: Prologue, however, already introduces new concepts into the Gran Turismo formula including online multiplayer (up to 16 players), events limited by performance points (which can be allocated towards weight, power, downforce, etc.), on-the-fly tuning of various attributes (TCS, ABS, brake balance...). One can assume that the full game will see the return of tuning based on parts, but I'm sure that both the on-the-fly and quick tune features from Prologue will still apply.

It has been said that GT5: Prologue will also get physical damage modeling later in the year as free downloadable content.

I'm also guessing that we'll see some other surprises by the time the full game comes out.

THE RING! OMG I cant wait! :) Thanks Eric!

So we have to wait for Christmas?

Also how do you do the tune on the fly with the regular controller? I always have to back out of the session and go to the quick menu. Thx ;)

I never had a problem with this in GT4...and I definitely feel the differences between cars in GT5: Prologue.

They do have different transmissions...sort of. I mean, the '91 NSX is a 5 speed. The '02 NSX-R is a 6 speed. The only catch is that when you choose automatic transmission, you're not being forced into the automatic version of the NSX. Historically, racing games have offered automatic as an option for players who don't want to have to worry about shifting...not necessarily because the car is only offered in an automatic form. While it would be nice to see the car's transmission behave differently when in automatic mode, it really isn't fair for players who aren't looking for the game to simulate an automatic versus manual tranny.

The GT games have also differentiated transmissions from car-to-car based on the speed of shifts....look how fast the new GT-R goes through its gears (presumably simulating the speed of its sequential gearbox). It would get more complicated if Polyphony gave us the following choices at the start of a race (a list that would have to very based on the actual car's transmission options):

Automatic shifting modes:
Automatic Transmission
Manual Transmission
Sequential Manual Transmission

Manual shifting modes:
Automatic Transmission
Manual Transmission
Sequential Manual Transmission

THE RING! OMG I cant wait! :) Thanks Eric!

Don't thank me yet...this has not been announced as a download for Prologue...just happens to be included in a special cut of Prologue being demonstrated at the 24 hour Nurburgring race this past weekend. Reports state that it is just the GT4 version of the course...but in GT5: Prologue.

Incidentally, the GT-TV feature of Prologue added a preview video of the 24 hour race. I downloaded it yesterday and plan to watch it while I eat lunch (right now).

Also how do you do the tune on the fly with the regular controller? I always have to back out of the session and go to the quick menu. Thx ;)

You can remap the controller buttons (and the buttons on any of the wheels for that matter) within the options menu. It is tough to find a button for everything...and I don't like putting features on the thumbstick's button (because I'm always accidentally bumping those)...but it's not too bad if you are willing to sacrifice steering with the d-pad (which I never use anyway). I have my look-left, look-right, and look-back on the d-pad, with L1 and R1 for making realtime adjustments.

I have not been able to get anything I own to pass the two P700 events at Fuji and Suzuka. I think they are S-7/8 and S-10. If anyone has tips, let me know what you used to do it?

I got past Fuji relatively easily with a Tuned Z06.

Suzuka is proving harder. Anybody pass it, and if so with what?

I have mostly golds pre-S (one silver each in C, in B, and in A)...the GT-R tuned seems to eat through the 680pp events without any challenge. I have more fun going through the 630pp events with the NSX-R.

How in the hell did you get anything but a bronze with the M3 Eiger stage? I am not even CLOSE to a silver/gold there.

I just got my butt up to the S-Class last night. (yeah i know I am slow :biggrin: ) Man that class is harder! Its a challenge for sure. One thing that does upset me are the penalties. They seem a bit inconsistent. Hitting the wall, sometimes I get hit with the penalty, sometimes I dont. Heck sometimes I smack the wall hard and get nothing, yet sometimes I barely brush it and boom, penalty. :mad: The shortcut penalty, same thing, sometimes I am trying to avoid the crash in front of me so I have to get out of the way, but nope I get dinged there too.

This is going to be a tough round of events. :biggrin:

I forgot to mention that I completed S Class Events on Monday, but I couldn't do it with professional physics. No matter how much I quick tune the cars, I can't seem to feather the throttle enough so that I don't spin the higher powered cars (I am even finding that I need to keep a touch of TCS on with such cars in standard physics). I also have had issues when I disable ABS completely...the Driving Force Pro's brake pedal seems too sensitive, so I'm always locking the wheels when braking.

To earn trophies in some of the S events, I have found that you need to be pretty aggressive (I'm starting learn which AI cars I can safely pass on the inside of the turns and which that I should try to overtake from the outside). They definitely don't behave like traditional AI cars in GT games and do a fair job of accident avoidance, but they can be predictable given certain conditions. If I barely beat another AI car to the inside of a turn, they do seem to back off and let me in...most of the time. In other words, it seems beneficial to dive in even if it doesn't look all that safe to do so. Of course, this also means you have a much higher chance of getting a ramming or collision penalty if you don't exit the turn just right.

The quick tune is also helping me revisit events that I don't have golds on in C, B, and A Class. The events I'm still targeting gold on are C-3, B-3, B-8, A-3, S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4, S-6, S-7, S-8, S-10. I have silvers on most of these (including S-6...took awhile, but with this being only one lap and me being fairly consistent at finishing third, I don't mind repeating this one).

That said, I have had a lot of fun with tuning the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car...I have even won a number of 700pp online races with it (a great way to earn credits BTW...but last night I couldn't find a single race online).

I have 10 dealer events that I need to buy cars for, but I'm more interested in earning 2,000,000 credits for that F2007 (just crossed the 500,000 mark and I don't want to sell any of the cars in my garage).

Last edited:
I was under the impression that once you clear the S class events, you get the Ferrari F1 car? I guess not... what is the prize car after you complete the S class events then?

I was under the impression that once you clear the S class events, you get the Ferrari F1 car? I guess not... what is the prize car after you complete the S class events then?

There's no prize car, after finishing the S Class you're allowed to buy the F2007 F1. You still need 2 000 000 credits tho... :wink:

They seem a bit inconsistent. Hitting the wall, sometimes I get hit with the penalty, sometimes I dont. Heck sometimes I smack the wall hard and get nothing, yet sometimes I barely brush it and boom, penalty. :mad: The shortcut penalty, same thing, sometimes I am trying to avoid the crash in front of me so I have to get out of the way, but nope I get dinged there too.

I am starting to learn when and where penalties are given and enforced, but there are still some situations where I get a ramming penalty and I didn't really notice making contact with a car (and if I did make contact, the car would have been behind me at the time).

As far as I can tell, you don't get immediately tagged with a short-cut penalty if you cross inside (or outside?) the boundaries of a turn, but only if you travel a certain distance from the point of leaving the course to the point of returning with all wheels off. I am fairly sure I have slid through the inside of some turns with just one or two tires on the course. That said, I drive from inside the cockpit, so I'm never 100% when the passenger-side wheels go off.

There's no prize car, after finishing the S Class you're allowed to buy the F2007 F1. You still need 2 000 000 credits tho... :wink:

There is a prize car for completing C, B, A, and S events...the GT-R Proto.

You cannot buy the F2007 until you have finished these events (even if you have already earned 2,000,000 credits).

It takes a lot of time to earn 2,000,000 credits. S-6 and online events are the fastest money makers. You cannot sell prize cars. Buying a car to get gold in a dealership event and then selling the car still ends up costing you credits unless you race the event multiple times.

Online events have the drawback of slow automated matching. Last night I wasted roughly an hour trying to start events that disconnect due to lack of players. And there's also the potential for the host to quit before you have earned credits for winning. I was so pissed when I took the lead late in the third lap when the lead cars went off...and then suddenly got disconnected from the race. Obviously, one of the lead cars was hosting. So stupid...the top three cars make decent credits!

I'm also finding that online races have rubber-banding that keep races closer than they should otherwise be...something that will likely be optional in the final game (and something that should be disabled in the serious racing events) If your car is in back, your car doesn't simply get a speed boost, but gains performance across the board (better handling, faster acceleration...perhaps they simply make the car lighter). The problem comes when you catch up with the leaders...because your car may already be traveling faster than your actual tuned settings should allow. I've spun a number of times in turns that I should have been able to stick simply because I caught up to the leaders in a turn. From what I have read on forums, leaders have their performance penalized as well.

Last edited:

Daaaaw man! I guess wherever I read it was yanking my chain... Earing 2MCR is going to be tough!

And yea I see the same issues with the penalties as well. Hopefully they will make some tweaks to this system and make it better.

One thing I noticed was that if you fly thru turn 1 on the high speed course (Forward) and brush the wall you'll get a penalty. Then you hardly need brakes on the turn 2 and u can slam into the wall without penalty... this is so frustrating!

Daaaaw man! I guess wherever I read it was yanking my chain... Earing 2MCR is going to be tough!
[..]

Yep but it's worth it, the F2007 F1 is ridiculous fast, GT5 is the first game that delivers a good feeling how fast F1 realy is in my opinion.

Im more of a fan of the time trials. No long load times, people (hosts) dropping just because they are losing, bumper cars.

Also is it just me or did they update/change some of the games. Some of the events I was messing around with a week ago all say. "this event has been concluded" or something like that. :confused:

What I did notice are new time trails that are specific to car models now. I never paid attention to the rules of the old ones. But I saw a a couple last night specific on the titles to the NSX for example...and one for the RX7...etc. I don't have either car yet, but just wanted to see if I need to cut back on the late night GT5 snacks that might be causing hallucinations. :tongue: :biggrin:

What I did notice are new time trails that are specific to car models now.

Time trials and drift trials have always been specific to each car and have always been available on all tracks (simply access through arcade mode). While it is fun to see how you rank, you don't make any credits from these...so I won't be doing these until I earn my F2007.

Back